Xtratime Community banner

Serie A 2019, Week 25. FRIDAY 22/02. Milan - Empoli, 20:30 CET, at San Siro

4K views 127 replies 22 participants last post by  bono 
#1 ·
Another must win; they all are. The points are crucial above all here, but a good, dominant performance would be exactly what we need to build on.

It's hard to figure out how we're getting many of the results we've been getting lately. A combination of a very clinical and deadly Piatek and a general improvement in quality with Paquetá, solid defense overall, some inspired indvidual plays (like Calabria's cross, Hakan's strike) very good Donnarumma, and perhaps above all a much stronger mental frame.

Whatever may be the reasons, we're getting wins with Suso in poor form -- that would have been almost impossible two months ago. Now Suso will be out; hopefully a chance for Castillejo to prove himself.

Other than Samu, we should expect the standard lineup, unless I'm forgetting something or something develops during the week. I've been a cheerleader for Conti getting minutes, but there's no benching Calabria now. We play Lazio for the Coppa Semis the next week, so that might influence things a bit.

Hakan to score again. You read it first here.

Reactions: Reza
#72 ·
What did Gattuso do to them at HT? :D 2 goals in 2 minutes, may be less than 2 minutes even.

So Piatek scored on a Friday. Reminds me with a match I attended in the African Champions league in 2001. Egyptian defender Wael Gomaa scored on a Friday evening. Gomaa in Arabic translates to Friday.

#75 ·
What did Gattuso do to them at HT? :D 2 goals in 2 minutes, may be less than 2 minutes even.

So Piatek scored on a Friday. Reminds me with a match I attended in the African Champions league in 2001. Egyptian defender Wael Gomaa scored on a Friday evening. Gomaa in Arabic translates to Friday.
Isn't that Jum'ah? Unless the "G" in the name Gomaa is pronounced as a "J".

#80 ·
Brilliant game by Samu, now lovely goal. Another assist by Conti.

Samu looks like he'll fight Suso for the spot, which is great news.

Cutrone x Piatek,

King Borini x Paquetá

#81 ·
Hakan moving to midfield now.

#86 ·
BORINI > Messi

#89 ·
Biglia x Bakayoko final sub

Still waiting for Hakan's goal

#92 ·
WTF VAR like two minutes late again, it's insane

No Borini goal

#97 ·
They just can't take so long to decide a goal won't count though, it really kills the mood of the game. It's one of the things everybody who opposed VAR feared, just takes away from the momentum of matches -- and it doesn't have to be like that.

#104 ·
Anyway, valuable three points, but were not super impressive. We scored three and had two gals (I think rightfully) disallowed, plus one or two more chances in the second half while Empoli had just one chance that I can remember, at 0-0 early in the second half.

And yet somehow the result feels flattering, despite several positives in terms of individual performances and another clean sheet.

It's probably because Empoli were extremely poor, but it's the pattern in this good run. We're grinding away the wins, to a large extent thanks to Piatek opening the scoresheet when we need it, but we never really look convincing. I'll take it, but also wonder how sustainable it is.

#107 ·
It's probably because Empoli were extremely poor, but it's the pattern in this good run. We're grinding away the wins, to a large extent thanks to Piatek opening the scoresheet when we need it, but we never really look convincing. I'll take it, but also wonder how sustainable it is.
Not enough good defenders to double team Piatek and if he has a day off one of Paqueta, Hakan, Suso or Samu is bound to have a good game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.