FC Gulbene of Latvia - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
FC Gulbene of Latvia

I noticed this club had five Japanese players on its books, starting with midfielders Ryota Ishikawa and Toshikazu Irie, the two defenders Shouhei Tsuchiya and Shota Yanagi, and the striker Yōsuke Saito, who I read has scored five goals this season. They have a Korean midfielder too, Seung Ki-yoo, but I was wondering why this Latvian club had taken such a sudden fancy to Japanese players? Is it related to their ownership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:07
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
says their wiki page:

For the past few years FB Gulbene have actively co-worked with several Japanese football academies, giving their players a chance to play in Europe. Club's president Romāns Lajuks is familiar with the Embassy of Japan Deputy Head of Mission Mr.Takeshi.[3]

Not sure what's the point of it though (from the view of Japanese players) as the level of this club is pretty poor compared to J-League. Maybe they simply want an experience of living in Europe.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:09 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Y. Saito celebrates with birthday brace:

http://www.fbgulbene.com/article/details/97

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:10 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ View Post
says their wiki page:

For the past few years FB Gulbene have actively co-worked with several Japanese football academies, giving their players a chance to play in Europe. Club's president Romāns Lajuks is familiar with the Embassy of Japan Deputy Head of Mission Mr.Takeshi.[3]

Not sure what's the point of it though as the level of this club is pretty poor compared to J-League.
Thank you.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hidetoshi Wakui (born 21 February 1983) is a Japanese professional footballer who plays for JK Nűmme Kalju in Estonian top-flight league Meistriliiga.

Andy, how's this guy?

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:16
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I don't really follow Estonian league much...Kalju will almost certainly win the championship this season so Wakui will become the first ever Japanese to win the Estonian title.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:18
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

They also have another Japanese Hideaki Takeda who joined from...surprise surprise...FC Gulbene

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:20 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

This is like the golden age both for Japan and Estonia in terms of football. Both nations are reaching levels and achieving things they've never done prior in their history.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:22
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

tbh in this season our local league looks shittier than ever before in this century

basically Kalju is the only club left in Estonia which takes it seriously and tries to compile a more or less competitive squad.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
They also have another Japanese Hideaki Takeda who joined from...surprise surprise...FC Gulbene
Some of the teams he played for

Fagiano Okayama
Fagiano Okayama Next
Indiana Invaders

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:27 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
tbh in this season our local league looks shittier than ever before in this century

basically Kalju is the only club left in Estonia which takes it seriously and tries to compile a more or less competitive squad.
What about Levadia Tallinn or Flora?

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:33
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

The problem with Levadia is that the steel magnate who owned them went bankrupt so the club now tries to survive independently without his cash injections...but this means they can't compete because unlike Flora they don't really have that good of a youth system.

As for Flora they have always considered developing their youth players as their main objective...so they usually don't go for average foreigners or our own ex-internationals who come back after failing in other countries. Which means that they often have glaring weaknesses in their squad.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sometimes while browsing through livescore I would notice some absurd scorelines from the Estonian league, like 11-0 or 13-0. Too many European leagues are headed down this path of zero competition, really, so many cases of it can be listed.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:45
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

in Estonian and Latvian leagues it has always been like this...the top 2-4 clubs are way ahead of the rest in terms of quality. Many weaker clubs are essentially semi-professional sides with players having part-time jobs.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 11:52 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I read about how Skonto Riga was an extension of the Latvian NT - the coach was the same, the squads both comprised a majority of the same players which made it so useful for building team chemistry. Surely that was an advantage Latvia took advantage of to compensate for their inferior level of talent.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 12:27 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Skonto's record between 1994 and 1997:

P82 W71 D10 L1 F298 A34 +264 Pts 223

1994: P22 W20 D2 L0 F76 A9 +67 Pts 62
1995: P18 W16 D2 L0 F59 A8 +51 Pts 50
1996: P18 W15 D2 L1 F74 A9 +65 Pts 47
1997: P24 W20 D4 L0 F89 A8 +81 Pts 64

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old April 8th, 2012, 13:10
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by チャットキラー View Post
I read about how Skonto Riga was an extension of the Latvian NT - the coach was the same, the squads both comprised a majority of the same players which made it so useful for building team chemistry. Surely that was an advantage Latvia took advantage of to compensate for their inferior level of talent.
it was almost the same with Flora and Estonian NT too until the mid-00s...but our best results came after that.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2012, 09:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, you said you managed to find that extra bit of quality in attack that you hadn't had in the past - such as Vassiljev [who I think plays at Perm in Russia] and Kink at M'boro, etc.

Since the Baltic forum doesn't have so much activity, I'm gonna spam this thread with photos of Latvia and related nations.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2012, 09:14 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eleinx/3518710634/

Cool photo the way this was executed.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2012, 09:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lainezunte/255518157/

Love this atmosphere...

Quote:
let me give u a lil love

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in