Northern Ireland vs Estonia - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old October 5th, 2011, 14:35 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Northern Ireland vs Estonia

this match is kind of a big deal because we have a theoretical chance to finish second in the group and reach the playoffs. But it depends mostly on Serbia ****ing up against Italy and Slovenia. And I can't see them not winning at least one of these games.

Although theoretically we could qualify for the playoffs even if we draw this match. if Serbia loses both matches it will be a tie with Estonia, Slovenia and Serbia all on 14 points but we have the most points from matches between these 3 teams.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 20:08 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

NIR takes the lead...lame soft goal, our defense played poorly there.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? AndÖ.itís the football, thatís the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 21:43 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

NIR 1-2 Estonia...yet another excellent result :thmbup:

2 goals by Vassiljev in the second half. First from a penalty he earned himself although the foul was likely to be committed outside the box. Second goal from a fantastic long shot right into the corner of the net.

Serbia 1-1 Italy is also a great result for us. All hope is on Slovenia now to keep Serbia at bay in Ljublana on Tuesday and then we're in the playoffs :thmbup:

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 21:49
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Bendigo Braves (women)
Wow. Nice result. Congrats, mate.

Without it gravity is just gravy.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 21:56 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

would be amazing if Slovenia gets the result at home vs the Serbs

of course I wouldn't expect us to qualify to the final tournament through the playoffs but even simply reaching the playoffs would be a great thing for Estonian football

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:02
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Bendigo Braves (women)
I guess it depends who you get. It could easily be a team like Norn Iron.

Without it gravity is just gravy.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Even if you don't make playoffs it's been a fantastic progression for Estonian football and an interesting ride for its followers. Especially I guess the victory against Serbia which you said was the greatest moment in Estonian footballing history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:17 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldwho?
I guess it depends who you get. It could easily be a team like Norn Iron.
I'm not sure how it works this time but last time for WC2010 there were two pots in the playoff draw based on FIFA rankings so they put strong teams against weaker ones. Maybe it was only for the World Cup though, maybe EURO rules are different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Even if you don't make playoffs it's been a fantastic progression for Estonian football and an interesting ride for its followers. Especially I guess the victory against Serbia which you said was the greatest moment in Estonian footballing history.
Yes it was by far the most valuable victory we've ever got. Beating Slovenia away was pretty amazing too.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:26
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Pretty miserable at home, as always? p

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:29 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

I went to a party tonight but came home after 40 minutes to watch the match lol. The party sucked anyway but the football was great so I'm pretty pleased right now.

Also I checked from uefa.com and they indeed have the ranking system in place to determine the seeds for playoff draw so we would get a strong opponent if we make it to the playoffs. :thmbdown:

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:30
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

How much do Slovenia have to play for?

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:33 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

nothing but their pride...hopefully the Balkan rivalry will be good enough motivation for them

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Serbia are known for bottling, aren't they? Like when they lost against us at the World Cup when expected to win. They were dominating but failed to take the chances.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:42 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

They do have plenty of quality players but usually they seem to lack stability. They're so unpredicatble that I wouldn't be surprised if they win 3-0 or lose 3-0 in Ljublana.

Anyway, a draw from Slovenia-Serbia would be good enough for us too so I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:45
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Don't be optimistic.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:46 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

yeah maybe not because so far Slovenia has managed to lose all their home matches in this group except for the 5-1 drubbing of the Faroes

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 22:49 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

anyway it's out of our hands now...if Serbia happens to go through from an injury time deflected own goal then so be it. p

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2011, 23:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

I just prefer to set my expectations/hopes to zero so the only way from there is up. I feel if I was optimistic and it didn't come off there'd be a stronger let down.

Quote:
let me give u a lil love
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2011, 07:08
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
I feel another Latvia 2004 like, is on its way. :hopeful:
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2011, 13:40
nkm
Premier Player

Slovenian NT and its coach Kek have been heavily criticized lately. Slovenia has been playing poorly since that win against Russia in Maribor 2 years ago (1st half against USA was an exception, but they bottled it in the 2nd and should have lost anyway) and critics are becoming louder and louder. Could be an extra motivation for the team and especially for players who are criticized the most (captain Koren, Novaković, Kirm, Jokić). The team has nothing to lose now and they'll be playing without pressure. Could be the last NT game for some players and coach (it's not sure whether he'll stay or not or whether he'll be sacked - this game could influence our FA's final decision). They'll surely want to proove themselves and show to the public that they aren't that bad, regain confidence. If they'll lose again, media will criticize them even more.

Personally, the way the team is playing right now, I don't see them having much chance against Serbia, BUT the team prooved in the WC 2010 qualifications that they CAN beat such teams when giving their best and when they're really motivated (their home form on that stadium in Maribor -where the match against Serbia will be played- was terrific, they won all home games except against Czech republic). It also has to be noted that this team kept 0-0 score against Italy up until very late in the game back in september.

As for Balkan rivalry, there is no real rivalry between Slovenia in Serbia. There is a rivalry between Slovenia and Croatia, but not with Serbia. Slovenian ultras will boycott the game because of a recent rift with Slovenian FA. Btw, a lot of Slovenian players have Serbian ancestry, like for example Novaković, Radosavljević, Dedić, Jokić ...

P.S.: So far, all our matches against Serbia were draws..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in