Baltic Tournament 2008 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2008, 08:17 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Baltic Tournament 2008

So, this zombie is been brought back to life again. Last time it was held in 2003. Now it takes place again next weekend in Latvia. And they want to start playing it every second year a week or two before EURO or World Cup starts.

Obviously the teams aren't coming in their best lineups but it's likely that we'll see a bit stronger squads than in the previous occasions. The tournament will be televised here in Estonia as well.

Coming up next weekend:

30.05 Latvia-Estonia
31.05 Lithuania-Estonia
1.06 Latvia-Lithuania

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2008, 18:16
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Monday 26 May 2008

Baltic battles keep Latvia sharp

by Mihail Korolev from Riga

While the rest of Europe focuses on UEFA EURO 2008™, Latvia are preparing for the traditional tri-nation Baltic Cup tournament which kicks off on 30 May.

Baltic battles
None from Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia have qualified for UEFA EURO 2008™, but they still have plenty of international intrigue ahead as the Baltic neighbours compete for local pride. Latvia coach Aleksandrs Starkovs is also hoping to find a star or two for the future after calling up FK Ventspils defender Igors Savcenkovs and FK Rīga's Roberts Mezeckis and Maksims Rafalskis.

'New faces'
"My goal is to build the team," Starkovs explained. "But we can't afford to look just to the future because we need results now. That's why the majority of my players are ones I have known for a long time. However, there are some new faces in the squad, who are doing really well this season – they have deserved their chance.

Bronze medals
"I wouldn't say these boys are young," he added. "All of them have enough top-flight experience. This is true of both Mezeckis and Rafalskis, who won bronze medals with FK Rīga last term. They have continued to be first-team regulars this season. The same can be said about Savcenkovs, who is a regular for champions Ventspils. That's a sign of quality."

'Is this a joke?'
Savcenkovs was amazed to hear he had been called up, telling uefa.com: "Is this a joke? I can't believe it." He added: "I'm delighted. I had dreamed about a call-up, but I thought the earliest chance I might get would be next season. My aim remains the same though – to play for Ventspils. I can't be doing that bad if the national coaching staff selected me."

Big ask
The 25-year-old Savcenkovs has stepped in for Jean-Paul Ndeki in the centre of the Ventspils defence following the Cameroonian's move to FC Torpedo Moskva. "Top-flight experience with Ventsipls is like oxygen to me," he said. "The quality of football in the Virsliga is very good and you just can't lose your concentration. It's not easy to cope with the pressure and avoid mistakes."

Ageing stars
Starkovs hopes all three newcomers will seize the occasion to impress. "I want them to see these call-ups as an acknowledgement of their quality," he said. "They don't need to be shy. I want them to play their football." With veterans such as Igors Stepanovs, Vitalijs Astafjevs and Imants Bleidelis soon to retire, the time may have arrived for newcomers to shine.

Call up for this tournament
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 12:35 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

We have only 18 players called up and many of our best players are missing because of various reasons (but mainly because the league season is still going on in Scandinavia) so it's basically B-side again.

Lithuania has decided to come out with almost their strongest lineup, I've heard. And Latvia öooks quite strong as well.

Anyway, here's Estonian squad.

Väravavahid
Mihkel AKSALU (07.11.1984) – Tallinna FC Flora 2/-
Mart POOM (03.02.1972) – Watford FC (ENG) 116/-

Kaitsjad
Igor MOROZOV (27.05.1989) – Tallinna FC Levadia -/-
Urmas ROOBA (08.07.1978) – Turu Palloseura (FIN) 69/1
Taavi RÄHN (16.05.1981) – FK Ekranas Panevežys (LIT) 38/-
Andrei SIDORENKOV (12.02.1984) – Tallinna FC Flora 8/-
Andrei STEPANOV (16.03.1979) – FK Himki (RUS) 75/1
Tihhon ŠIŠOV (11.02.1983) – Tallinna FC Levadia 9/-

Poolkaitsjad
Aivar ANNISTE (18.02.1980) – Tallinna FC TVMK 40/3
Ragnar KLAVAN (03.10.1985) – Heracles Almelo (NED) 44/1
Joel LINDPERE (05.10.1981) – Tromsø IL (NOR) 58/5
Sander PURI (07.05.1988) – Tallinna FC Levadia -/-
Martin VUNK (21.08.1984) – Tallinna FC Flora 3/-

Ründajad
Tarmo KINK (06.10.1985) – Tallinna FC Levadia 20/1
Ats PURJE (03.08.1985) – Turu Inter (FIN) 5/-
Kaimar SAAG (05.08.1988) – Silkeborg IF (DEN) 10/-
Vjatšelsav ZAHOVAIKO (29.12.1981) – Tallinna FC Flora 34/5
Vladimir VOSKOBOINIKOV (02.02.1983) – Torpedo Moskva (RUS) 4

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 17:16 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Estonian lineup:

----------------Poom

Šisov---Stepanov--Klavan--Sidorenkov

Kink-------Vunk----Anniste--Lindpere

-------Purje----Zahovaiko

Our best midfielder is in central defense

We are playing really well though so far.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 17:34 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Latvian goalkeeper's ball handling skills are really awful, he has fumbled most of the shots so far but unfortunately we suck at finishing yet again.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2008, 22:21
Forum Manager
Legend

Latvija – Igaunija 1:0 (0:0)

Vārti: Laizāns 48' (11m)
Latvija: Vaņins, Kačanovs, Kļava, Ivanovs, Gorkšs, Astafjevs, Laizāns, Visņakovs (Koļesņičenko 78'), Soloņicins (Cauņa 76'), Karlsons, Rimkus (Perepļotkins 58').

Pics of the game
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 13:10 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

TBH we didn't deserve to lose that match at all, Latvia was a weaker team yesterday. Their keeper was awful and did a mistake after mistake, you could think he was some random amateur. But of course we had the same problem we have suffered in most of the games during the past couple of years: awful finishing. These attacking players we currently have simply do not have the ability to make it on the top international level. They are not effective enough in using chances and they can't handle pressure. Oper is the only exception but he is injured all the time. I guess there's a slight chance that Saag or Purje might develop into a decent forward in the next couple of years, but if that doesn't happen then we're pretty much screwed.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 14:05 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Estonia - Lithuania

Estonia's lineup:

------------Aksalu

Šisov--Stepanov---Morozov--Klavan

Purje---Dimitrjev--Anniste---S. Puri

----Voskoboinikov--Zahovaiko

That's a pretty experimental lineup.

Lihtuania has a B team too basically.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 15:11 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Equal match so far but we're clueless in attack as usual.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 16:07 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

So we lose the match 0-1 by a late corner goal. To be fair, Lithuania totally dominated us in the 2nd half and deserved to win.

Most entertaining moments came right after the goal, when 3 Estonian fans slowly ran over the pitch (and one of them was expertly brought down by a Lithuanian player ). The other side of the stadium had no stand and led straight into a city park so they just kept running and couple of fat security guys slowly went after them (and they also decided to run over the pitch of course, further delaying the game). It was pretty hilarious really, usually Estonian fans are a pretty well-behaving group and don't do stupid stuff like this but I guess they were simply fed up by this garbage our team has provided us during the last couple of years.

Oh yeah, and soon after that some Lithuanian fans wearing Zalgiris shirts started to rip off the seats and throwing them down for some reason, there might have been some kind of brawl as well. No idea what was behind all that.

Then the game started again and soon after Tarmo Kink got a red card for a small pushing match where he wasn't the initiator.

The last moments of the broadcast showed the two Estonian fans, handcuffed and being led back to the stadium from the park in between security workers. I hope somebody puts these final minutes up on youtube.

In conclusion, I really hope this pathetic tournament gets cancelled again, it's a shame for the whole region (but especially Estonia of course). The quality of play in the first two matches was appalling (much like it has always been) and now even the fans are losing their head.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 17:44
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Rising Star

Teams: Chelsea
Algis Jankauskas, Alfredas Skroblas, Darvydas Šernas and goalscorer Valerijus Mižigurskis have all won their first senior international caps today.

"I saw Maradona play, and he is above anyone else, but Zidane was the embodiment of perfection on a football pitch." - Guti
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2008, 18:44 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Apparently Lihtuanian fans clashed with the police even before the match. And after the match they attacked the police bus where the 3 pitch-invading Estonian fans were kept because they wanted to free them Eventually everything was handled in a peaceful manner and the 3 Estonian fans were also let go.

Over 100 plastic seats on the stadium were destroyed, though. R.I.P., seats

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2008, 10:35
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Rising Star

Teams: Chelsea
Lithuania's starting line-up for today's game against Latvia.

Karčemarskas
Alunderis - Žvirgždauskas - Skerla - Papečkys
Česnauskis - Šemberas - Savėnas - Mikoliūnas
Danilevičius - Jankauskas

Substitutes: Grybauskas, Skroblas, Tamošauskas, Miceika, Kalonas, Poškus, Beniušis

"I saw Maradona play, and he is above anyone else, but Zidane was the embodiment of perfection on a football pitch." - Guti
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2008, 10:50
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Blissett View Post
Over 100 plastic seats on the stadium were destroyed, though. R.I.P., seats
Man, that's terrible. When Rennes stadium was renovated fews years ago, we all wondered why the seats weren't black and Red (clubs's colors), but green and navy blue, they said thoses colors were choosen because they shouldn't activate fan's angers.

Damn it was royal blue not even dark blue ! They should made it in pink next time.p

Last edited by Fobal klub; June 1st, 2008 at 22:52.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2008, 22:51
Forum Manager
Legend

Euro what ?

Latvia Baltic states champions ! With Gulbis advancing in Roland Garros today, today was a great day.

Pics of the game
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:59
kat
THE
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobal klub View Post
Man, that's terrible. When Rennes stadium was renovated fews years ago, we all wondered why the seats weren't black and Red (clubs's colors), but green and navy blue, they said thoses colors were choosen because they shouldn't activate fan's angers.

Damn it was royal blue not even dark blue ! They should made it in pink next time.p

Lol, gorjaski estonski parni, these navy blues did activate our anger Now we have mark on us, we can't go to other states since we are footy hooligan nation, lol.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:38
Rising Star

Teams: TSV 1860 München, Danubio FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther Blissett View Post
The last moments of the broadcast showed the two Estonian fans, handcuffed and being led back to the stadium from the park in between security workers. I hope somebody puts these final minutes up on youtube.
There you go:
Game summary including the turbulent ending.
The game's aftermath.

It somewhat made me grin when several Lithuanians threw dirt! at the Latvian policemen. Finally the tournament got the attention it didn't deserve.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2008, 13:59
kat
THE
Legend

A. So, it is as dry in Latvia as it is in estonia, really disastourus already.
B. Fans are in better shape than police.
C. Estonians probably had some kind of bet, a la who runs naked on pitch.
D. Clearly, some policy brutality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in