A Lyga 2008 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2008, 17:37 Thread Starter
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Rising Star

Teams: Chelsea
A Lyga 2008

After the turn of the year let's start the new thread.

To start with, a little bit of information about clubs. Probably there will be nine teams in A Lyga next season, that is all last season contenders except Interas. And some information about them.

FBK Kaunas Didn't follow them closely but they were not making the headlines anyway. As for time being they are yet again clear favourites to lift the trophy next autumn.

Sūduva Also not too much information about them as for now.

Ekranas Little bit more interesting here. Three very important players are about to leave the club - Lithuanian international defender Gediminas Paulauskas already plays in Turkey, skipper Mantas Savėnas and last season's league top scorer Povilas Lukšys are also about to leave the club.

Žalgiris Terrible end of last season saw manager Arminas Narbekovas axed. They have wealthy owner, but it remains to be seen whether he is willing to invest big money into this club. Their main midfielder Anatoliy Ostap have already left the club and some less important players may follow him on the way out as well. Still major attacking threats Igoris Morinas, Iulian Bursuc and Cvetan Ciurlinov are all set to stay.

Vėtra Many rumours about bad financial situation. Last season club had many foreigners and probably will have to part their way with most of them and best Lithuanian players may leave as well. Manager Donatas Vencevičius already parted ways with the club, but he was replaced by coach with good name - Virginijus Liubšys (long term manager of Ekranas).

Atlantas Made the headlines after yet another outburst of their manager Vacys Lekevičius. Don't know much more. They had a good second half of the last season so this season may be an improvement for them.

Vilnius In the middle of nowhere. The club that hardly has history to rely on, professional players to play now and their future is bleak at best. Their owner invested into some Polish club after failing to turn FCV into something good. Team consists mainly of young players who couldn't cope with tasks in the second half of last season. Probably their aim is to survive this season somehow.

Šiauliai Didn't hear anything about club bar that they signed some player from Žalgiris reserves.

Šilutė Also no news. Probably they are facing another season in a role of reserve team of Kaunas.

"I saw Maradona play, and he is above anyone else, but Zidane was the embodiment of perfection on a football pitch." - Guti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2008, 19:49
Rising Star

Lithuania resists new proposals

Fans and clubs have prevented any further changes to the format of the Lithuanian A Lyga which is due to start with just nine teams involved on 22 March.

Interas overwhelmed
Ten clubs competed in the 2007 A Lyga, but with the sides who finished first and second in the second division declining promotion, and FK Interas finishing too far adrift of the pack to be worthy of a place in the league in 2008, the A Lyga has been left a team short. Interas finished the 36-game season with just eight points and their final 13 matches producing an aggregate score of 72-0.

Cold weather
The season customarily kicks off in April, but the start date has been brought forward to 22 March, finishing on 30 November. Due to the Baltic weather, that is likely to mean that the first and last games of the campaign will be played either in the indoor football hall in Vilnius or on artificial pitches – something that may not delight some clubs and supporters.

'Too long'
Lithuanian Football Federation (LFF) general director Julius Kvedaras said: "Our off-season is too long. We need to cut it down." The LFF had been eager to start the season even earlier, but five of the nine clubs refused to accede to the proposal, with FBK Kaunas director Romualdas Kontrimas saying he saw no sense in playing the first five matches of the season indoors with no supporters.

Midweek football
Kaunas president Gintaras Ugianskis, also the president of the A Lyga, made a further proposal suggesting clubs should play league games on Mondays and Thursdays, saying: "People want to rest during weekends. They look to head out of the cities. That's why the stadiums are empty during matches. I think we should try it. Games could be played on work days in the evening."

Fans picket
Fans, however, reacted angrily to this suggestion, with some going as far as to picket a meeting of club representatives in Kaunas to defend their right to watch football at the weekend. LFF president Liutauras Varanavicius backed the supporters, saying that any further reform of the calendar risked making attendances at A Lyga games even more disappointing.

New coaches
Some clubs have already begun their preparations for the season, and three teams are getting used to new coaches. Virginijus Liubšys has ended a long association with FK Ekranas to take over at FK Vėtra with young Valdas Urbonas taking his place. FK Žalgiris Vilnius have named Vyacheslav Mogilny as their boss, after he was appointed as their goalkeeping coach last season.

©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old January 11th, 2008, 19:18 Thread Starter
Rising Star

The season should start on March 22 and finish on November 30. Depending on weather conditions some of the first and/or last rounds may be played indoors.

Also, Vacys Lekevičius was disqualified for one year for his claims about tendentious refereeing. This punishment for Atlantas manager is suspended therefore he remains in charge of club until the first punishment for him by LFF institutions.

"I saw Maradona play, and he is above anyone else, but Zidane was the embodiment of perfection on a football pitch." - Guti

Last edited by Railroad; January 11th, 2008 at 19:27.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:06 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Vėtra signed a new contract with last season's club's best player Dejan Milošeski and also signed midfielder Virmantas Lemežis from Žalgiris.

Žalgiris signed several foreigners but didn't extend the contract with forward Ciurlinov.

Mantas Savėnas is still searching for new club. He recently had a trial with Serie B side but they didn't want him.

Linas Klimavičius left Sūduva for Ukrainian league leaders Dnipro.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old February 10th, 2008, 10:43 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Midfielder Giedrius Barevičius left FBK Kaunas for Sūduva.

Vėtra acquired defender Egidijus Majus from Zenit St. Petersburg.

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2008, 14:39 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Last season's league top scorer Povilas Lukšys signed contract with Sūduva.

FBK Kaunas acquired defender Irmantas Zelmikas from Tavria Simferopol.

post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old February 29th, 2008, 09:36 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Sūduva signed midfielder Bobi Božinovski from Vėtra.

4 clubs (FBK Kaunas, Sūduva, Vėtra and Šilutė) secured their top flight licenses for the 2008 season. Five other clubs now can make an appeal and after doing that they will probably get licenses.

Mantas Savėnas signed a contract with Russian club Nosta.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old March 6th, 2008, 18:13 Thread Starter
Rising Star

FC Vilnius didn't get A Lyga licence for the next season.

That means there will be eight clubs in A Lyga this season.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2008, 11:11 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Žalgiris signed 29 year-old defender Rolandas Džiaukštas. He was capped 40 times for Lithuanian NT.

Also, Žalgiris announced that young striker Nikolaj Misiuk is staying with the club.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2008, 17:27
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Are you supporting a team in the championship, Railroad ? Btw Many thanks for your imput.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old March 12th, 2008, 15:31 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobal klub View Post
Are you supporting a team in the championship, Railroad ? Btw Many thanks for your imput.
Well, Vėtra is my favourite side here. I do not travel to their away games but I like to watch them when they play in Vilnius.

By the way, they've signed couple of players recently: young striker Evaldas Razulis (from Krylia Sovetov) and defensive midfielder Anatolyi Ostap (from Žalgiris).

post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old March 14th, 2008, 15:50 Thread Starter
Rising Star

A Lyga season will start on March 29.

post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2008, 14:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Fixture list for upcoming season:

http://www.futbolas.lt/docs/2008%20T...VK20080314.pdf

post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old March 21st, 2008, 17:29 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Striker Ričardas Beniušis will probably return to Kaunas from Hearts.

post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2008, 21:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Kaunas 3 - 0 Šilutė
Ekranas 1 - 0 Šiauliai
Sūduva 0 - 0 Žalgiris
Vėtra 0 - 0 Atlantas

post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2008, 19:35 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Gameweek 2

Šilutė 2 - 4 Atlantas
Žalgiris 1 - 1 Ekranas
Šiauliai 0 - 2 Vėtra
FBK Kaunas 3 - 0 Sūduva

Gameweek 3

Sūduva 2 - 1 Šilutė
Atlantas 0 - 1 Šiauliai
Ekranas 1 - 0 FBK Kaunas
Vėtra 1 - 1 Žalgiris

Cup semifinal, 1st leg

Šiauliai 0 - 1 Vėtra
FBK Kaunas 1 - 0 Ekranas

League top-scorer after three games is Mindaugas Grigalevičius from Kaunas (4 goals).

post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2008, 17:25 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Šilutė 2 - 2 Šiauliai
Sūduva 2 - 1 Ekranas
Žalgiris 0 - 0 Atlantas
FBK Kaunas 1 - 2 Vėtra

Vėtra climbs top of the league, Šilutė gains the first point of the season and Žalgiris continues their series of drawn matches.

post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2008, 19:38 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Šiauliai 1 - 1 Žalgiris
Atlantas 1 - 1 FBK Kaunas
Ekranas 4 - 0 Šilutė
Vėtra 3 - 0 Sūduva

Žalgiris gets their fifth draw in their fifth league match and Kaunas continues to struggle.

Sūduva announced earlier this week that they are replacing their manager Algimantas Gabrys with Igoris Pankratjevas. Gabrys will continue as an assistant manager.

post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old April 30th, 2008, 22:26 Thread Starter
Rising Star

LFF Cup:

Ekranas 1 - 5 FBK Kaunas
Vėtra 3 - 0 Šiauliai

Vėtra and Kaunas will face each other in the final. Kaunas already has Champions League spot so Vėtra will get UEFA Cup spot regardless of the result of the final.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2008, 22:32 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Sūduva 3 - 1 Atlantas
Šilutė 0 - 2 Žalgiris
FBK Kaunas 2 - 0 Šiauliai
Vėtra 0 - 1 Ekranas

Ekranas moves top after winning close and nervous encounter between two leaders in Vilnius. Vėtra manager Virginijus Liubšys lost to his former club and the only goal scored was an own goal by former Ekranas defender Egidijus Majus. Žalgiris took their first win of the campaign and remains the only unbeaten club in the league this season. Under new manager Sūduva completed second half comeback against Atlantas while FBK ended their three game winless run at the expense of Šiauliai.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in