Jelle Goes Away in Autumn (Estonian NT manager thread) - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Who would you like to see as the next coach for Estonia?
Tarmo Rüütli 4 66.67%
Pasi Rautianen 0 0%
Janno Kivisild 0 0%
Pohlak's Mystery Foreigner 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2007, 09:59 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Jelle Goes Away in Autumn (Estonian NT manager thread)

Estonian NT coach Jelle Goes has announced that he will resign from the position after the end of the current EURO2008 qualification tournament. The results have been catastrophic so far: no points and no goals after seven matches, so the decision does not come as a surprise. In fact, many observers find that he should resign immediately....right now he is the first NT coach during the new independence era who has become really unpopular among the fans.

But the question is: who should replace him?

Levadia coach Tarmo Rüütli is touted as the main candidate. He did excellent job with Levadia last season, achieving an unprecedented European success and easlity winning the domestic title as well. He has coached the NT before for a short period between Thordarsson and Pijpers and achieved decent results. Yet, as he deserted the Flora system in favour of "Russian" club Levadia, Pohlak might not go for him although he looks like a best choice.

Then there's Pasi Rautianen, the crazy Finn who is coaching FC Flora. Flora isn't doing too well right now but he has also led Levadia to the championship before so he definitely knows Estonian football. I'm not very convinced in his tactical ability but he would be a funny coach to have, his interviews and commentaries (he used to be a CL commentator for Finnish TV) are in a class of its own. And he's a guy who demands a lot from his players...I have a feeling that this job might be too big for him though, it's very likely that he wouldn't accept it.

Then there's Janno Kivisild...currently he is the assistant coach of Pijpers at Kazakhstani NT that is doing better than ever...I don't know if training Borats has improved him or not but he seemed rather clueless as a Flora coach and he's younger than several players in our NT. He's a very unlikely selection but can't be ruled out completely, after all he's the first Estonian coach to achieve some kind of success abroad.

Then there's the fourth and most likely option: Pohlak yet again brings in some mystery foreigner like he did with Thordarsson and Pijpers. These two definitely brought new ideas with them and improved our football a lot so I can't really argue with that approach...but maybe it's a time to see what local guys can do.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old June 11th, 2007, 18:53
Rising Star

Teams: TSV 1860 München, Danubio FC
Jelle Goes home...
I favour Rüütli because the NT isn't a pure FC Flora show anymore and he has achieved more with Levadia than the last couple of Pohlaks puppies.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2007, 15:03 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

The new FIFA table was revealed and Estonia is on the 121st place in it. Last time we were so low was 11 years ago, in 1996. Well done Jelle

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2007, 15:12
Star Player

what's strange is that we're actually playing good though. back when we played crap we were getting much better results. :s
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2007, 17:59 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angerjas
what's strange is that we're actually playing good though. back when we played crap we were getting much better results. :s
We're not playing good. Maybe we have more possession than we used to have 3-4 years ago but it's an useless possession, we are worthless in attack, no effectiveness whatsoever. And defensively we are less solid and disciplined too. We used to be a decent boring Scandinavian-style results-oriented defensive counterattacking team thanks to Thordarsson's legacy but the Dutch school of Pijpers and Goes has eventually turned us into a team that tries to play like Holland minus the skill :rollani:

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 14:53
kat
THE
Legend

I have never been in any practise, so I don't know what exatcly they are doing there, but first we need better coaches for local teams and hungry players.A NT coach can't do much with the players we have.

If you read the madazine Jalka, then you know that players know hardly anything about football. It's not their passion, they do not breath it.

Pohlak talked something about German coach. Mattheus was sacked...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 21:55
Rising Star

Didn't Pohlak's sissy dogs train Flora too?
Of course they do favour Flora youngsters instead of Levadia products then. Now what did Flora achieve the last seasons?

Matthäus, god nooo...! After all I think he's too expensive.
Maybe German coaches would fit better according to Andy's valuation (discipline etc.), depends on whom - and it would bring the Estonian NT more press coverage here. I'll take a look and bring in some names. :smileani:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2007, 22:03 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaoMoondog
Didn't Pohlak's sissy dogs train Flora too?
Of course they do favour Flora youngsters instead of Levadia products then. Now what did Flora achieve the last seasons?
Favouring Flora players over Levadia and TVMK ones was strongly going on until couple of years ago but it has completely ended now (on senior NT level at least, dunno about U21 or U19). There are loads of Levadia and TVMK players brought into the NT by Goes, if anything he's trusting some of them too much (like Konsa for example). Practically nobody from Flora is playing as a regular for our NT nowadays.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2007, 06:46
kat
THE
Legend

Because Flora and NT had the same coach (I can't remember anymore, was Arno also Flora's coach?) and naturally you pick more your own clubs palyers. Jelle was pure NT coach.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2007, 15:52
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
Jelle's contract was terminated already, so he won't manage the team until the end of the ECQ. Now the FA is looking for a new coach.

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old July 4th, 2007, 14:51 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Going by Pohlak's comments they will bring in a short-term manager until the end of this qualification campaign. I'm quite certain that it will be Kivisild who resigned from his Kazakhstan job and returned to Estonia last month.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2007, 14:01 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

So it's the Mystery Foreigner again p

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old July 17th, 2007, 17:08
Rising Star

Viggo Jensen. With a bright five games Bayern past...
Back to the more Scandinavian type of play, as you suggested?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2007, 11:37
kat
THE
Legend

More like a " pick up random players from a beach and win EC" type. Suits me.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:35 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

It seems pretty certain that Jensen will not continue as manager.

Pohlak has gone for the most logical choice and tries to get Rüütli as the new coach. But the chairman of FC Levadia asked Rüütli to continue on his post and he complied with the wish. So Pohlak offered another solution: Rüütli will coach both Levadia and the NT. It seems that Rüütli wants it but Levada might cancel that idea too, he's a stubborn man who doesn't like Pohlak and the FA.

IMO Rüütli is a fool if he doesn't go for the NT job. He has achieved everything he could at FC Levadia and the club will lose most of its key players during winter. Plus everybody knows he's the best man for the job and would have an instant media and supporter backing...he's the most highly rated Estoniain manager ever right now, no doubt about it.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old November 22nd, 2007, 16:15 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Rüütli is confirmed as the new manager for the next 2 years. He'll manage both the NT and Levadia in 2008 and will concentrate solely on the national team in 2009.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:29
kat
THE
Legend

Now the question is, where do we get new players?

shuld we go hunting in Kenya or Gambia? Or adopt few kids from Brazl and argentina?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 13:04
Rising Star

I'm not sure, but didn't the FIFA want to ban this custom? Maybe looking for some young talent in the domestic Russian community instead?

How come Finland nearly made it to the EC? To me that looked like out of nothing.
They have no African or South Americans in their side either, do they?
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 13:12 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Finland has far more players who play in decent European league clubs. It's quite surprising really that they have never made it to WC or EURO...they've had quite many good players during the last 15 years.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old November 23rd, 2007, 13:16
kat
THE
Legend

You took that hunting part seriously?
Doesn't Croatia have brazilians? Poland?

Finland is 5 times bigger, 100 times richer and has played football like 100 years, we about 15.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in