Time to fire Liubinskas? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2007, 00:33 Thread Starter
Rookie

Time to fire Liubinskas?

I am completely frustrated. We can compete with some of the top class teams in the world. We just cannot beat them. This team is talented enough to go to aboth the Euros and the World Cup, that I am convinced of. One thing is stopping us. I think it is the coaching. Our teams level has increased dramatically since world cup qualifiers. We need something to bring us to the next level. There is no reason why we cannot qualify for World Cup 2010. It looks like we are screwed for Euro '08 though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2007, 06:42
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Rising Star

Teams: Chelsea
Enough talent to achieve European Championship or World Cup? You must be joking. We have some good players, but are we in European top 16 in terms of talent? My answer is simple - no, we aren't. Our undoubted starters Stankevicius and Danilevicius plays in Serie B and in NT Stankevicius plays at right back while he is midfielder in club. We have decent goalkeeper in Karcemarskas, our best midfielder in Semberas (also, he plays as a defender in CSKA Moscow and has little match practice as a midfielder). Cesnauskis brothers are good players also, but, as you see we don't have enough cover for them - Morinas is pretty useless on the left hand side at this level. Moreover, do we have any good strikers? Jankauskas maybe still is the best, but he is veteran and injury prone; Danilevicius failed to meet requirements at Livorno after brief start of the season; Poskus... You saw everything in last couple of games. No further comments required I think; Velicka? Had a brief start of the season in quite a mediocre league and maybe deserved place in starting lineup, but is he messiah, who could give us goals we are desperately lacking? Probably no.

I don't say that all our lads are bad players. The trouble is that there is enough countries who have better ones and more of them. Take a look: Ireland, England, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, France, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Russia, Serbia, Croatia - all these countries definitely have more talented players and there are also more, who I think have better players than we do (the ones like Israel, Scotland, Belarus, Finland etc.). We must overachieve to advance from the group. We are not doing that though.

So, even if Liubinskas isn't perfect (his conflicts with players are also annoying me, but is the coach guilty party? I'm not so sure), but it is not he who is responsible for the fact we still have never made our way to the Euro or World Cup. It's just about quality of our oponents.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2007, 23:24
Rising Star

Mikoliunas can be your saviour.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2007, 17:44 Thread Starter
Rookie

I said we could make Euros or World Cup, not win it.

If Northern Ireland can do what they are doing, we can as well. I have no doubt in my mind.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2007, 20:36
Rising Star

Don't take exception as a rule. As I said - if you take a look at our players there is no way that they are among top 16 NTs in Europe. That means we should beat stronger teams in qualification. And if stronger team beat weaker one - should you blame the coach? I don't think so.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2007, 21:17 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad
Don't take exception as a rule. As I said - if you take a look at our players there is no way that they are among top 16 NTs in Europe. That means we should beat stronger teams in qualification. And if stronger team beat weaker one - should you blame the coach? I don't think so.
So we should always lose to better teams? Dont sell ourselves short.

If we are consistently losing by one goal, it says something. Some sort of change needs to be made. We just need to bring it to a higher level.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2007, 14:58
Rising Star

No, we shouldn't. But we also shouldn't make desperate changes when they are not neccesary. We will not sign Guus Hiddink anyway, new coach would also be of the same profile. The fact we are losing by one goal at least says, that we are giving tough time for the oponents, that the organisation of the game is quite well, and (if you take game with France for example) we don't have enough quality players, especially upfront. Take a look at statistics - seven shots and none were on goal. Is Liubinskas responsible for the fact we can not make shots on goal?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:16 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad
No, we shouldn't. But we also shouldn't make desperate changes when they are not neccesary. We will not sign Guus Hiddink anyway, new coach would also be of the same profile. The fact we are losing by one goal at least says, that we are giving tough time for the oponents, that the organisation of the game is quite well, and (if you take game with France for example) we don't have enough quality players, especially upfront. Take a look at statistics - seven shots and none were on goal. Is Liubinskas responsible for the fact we can not make shots on goal?

No, he shouldn't be responsible completely for something like that. But I know we have the firepower. Maybe we shouldn't play so defensively minded. We are an athletic, fast and streaky team. We should use it to our advantage and attack more.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:05
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
You played quite well against Italy and France, after all these were both World Cup finalists so 1-1 and 0-1 weren't bad results after all. It would be pretty strange if they fire you coach now because it's not like you have a lot of quality international stars.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in