UEFA Cup: Levadia Tallinn vs Newcastle United - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2006, 17:55 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
UEFA Cup: Levadia Tallinn vs Newcastle United

I thought it deserves it's own thread as it's the biggest match ever in Estonia's club football.

Newcastle is obviously a huge favourite here, considering that out of the 80 teams who participated in the UEFA cup first round draw they had the highest UEFA rating and Levadia had the lowest. But of course Levadia has nothing to lose here and miracles can happen in football.

BTW, the tickets for the match are almost sold out already. Hundreds of Newcastle supporters from Baltic countries and also from Finland and Scandinavia will also be attending the match.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 06:21
kat
THE
Legend

Can't belive I'm saying this but I hope there won't be any fights. I don't think that fans are separated in the stadium.
Plus, I also hope, it's warmish.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 09:10 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Fight on a club football match in Estonia? That would be the first p

It won't happen because nobody has anything against British football fans here (and Levadia has practically no dedicated fans anyway). The danger of fights is only in Estonia-Russia matches.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 11:06
kat
THE
Legend

Hey, when Flora still had it's homestadium in viljandi, once I was close to hit Levadia's fans with my handbag...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:04
Rising Star

Teams: TSV 1860 München, Danubio FC
Flora had it's homestadium in Viljandi? When was that, just temporary?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:16
kat
THE
Legend

Yes, for a season or 2, like 7-8 years ago, or maybe 10 or even 12. Jesus, my memory is that bad, at least I went to see footy on my own, so it can't be more than 15 years or so.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2006, 14:19
Rising Star

As they faced Levadia, as you said, it shouldn't be more than 7 years (founded 1999). But maybe it's been a different team like Lantana, Norma or somewhat. Doesn't matter.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2006, 21:15
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
Good game by Levadia. Shame about the goal but anyways, well done!
http://home.skysports.com/matchrepor...=football_home

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2006, 06:36
kat
THE
Legend

Second half was a bore. And am I the only one who found the athmosphere to be so diferent from the NT games? In NT games there's too many people who come to see "Estonia", in such games, majority are footy fans (like my office room-mate, he has been in every NT game in this season but has no idea what "newcastle" is)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2006, 07:27 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Yeah, the atmosphere was a lot quieter than in NT games, mostly because there was no organized support group like Jalgpallihaigla. Levadia has very few dedicated fans.

But overall I was surprised how well Levadia managed to do against the Magpies. The level of individual skill was huge but somehow it didn't really make that much of a difference. Of course it must be said that this current Newcastle team is not a particularly good team: it's a bunch of very talented individuals (many of them failures from bigger clubs) but they seriously lack teamwork and motivation. This was also why Levadia managed to play almost equally to them, although they had far less possession they created almost as many chances as Newcastle. Twente actually managed to be more dangerous and dominate more against Levadia in the previous round.

Overall Levadia definitely deserved a draw, they were the more hungry team (especially in the second half) but unlike the previous games, the luck was not on their side this time. Also the referee was against them in many incidents (the only goal actually came from a freekick given for a clear dive by Martins).

But yeah, not a game to be ashamed of. The difference in the level of quality didn't seem to be that huge as expected. This Levadia team is very likely the best ever Estonian club team, they have the winner mentality even in European games against teams far bigger than them.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2006, 11:31 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Match report from BBC Football: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/5341288.stm

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2006, 13:14
kat
THE
Legend

So, anybody bough this 15 000 costing away game package?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old September 27th, 2006, 17:38 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Umm...no

Maybe Levadia will score an away goal and win in the penalty shootout...yeah right

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2006, 10:33
kat
THE
Legend

Why not, they are pants right now. Then again, Levadia is too, beating Maag 1-0 in front of 15 people...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2006, 21:25
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
2:1 for Newcastle. Levadia blew it by conceding 2 goals in 2 minutes. At least they scored.

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old September 28th, 2006, 23:41
Rising Star

Levadia has shown an overwhelming performance in the 2006 UEFA Cup though Europe won't notice much of it as they haven't reached the impossible. But this campaign including the two tight matches against Newcastle are probably the best thing ever achieved in Estonian football! Thumbs up, Levadia!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 06:11
kat
THE
Legend

CNN showed highlights of teh game this morning and Zelinski's goal. Not too many Estonians who has been in CNN pretty much in front page.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 06:49
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Hope Levadia got a bit of money with the TV deal, otherwise UEFA cup would be a waste of money.
That was a nice run.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 06:55 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Well done Levadia. Beating Newcastle was never likely to happen, the level of quality was too huge. But these two one-goal defeats are nothing to be ashamed of and overall it was easily the best run by any Estonian club in Europe. Maybe it was the start of the new era in our club football...

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old September 29th, 2006, 08:22
kat
THE
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobal klub
Hope Levadia got a bit of money with the TV deal, otherwise UEFA cup would be a waste of money.
That was a nice run.
They got about 3 mil but already wasted like 1 mil to the charter flight (or actually 2 flights there and back)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in