Benjaminas Zelkevicius - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2006, 16:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Heart of Midlothian Football Club
Benjaminas Zelkevicius

Is being strongly touted as the next Director of Football at Hearts.

Can any Lithuanians or Latvians give me information with his background? Apparently he did well at Metalurgs of Latvia, but aside from that I'm not sure about him.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2006, 18:04
vol
Rising Star

Zelkevicius has a lot of experience. He managed legendary Zalgiris off and on since 1977 to 1996. All their best achievements were under his reign.
Later he managed Lithuanian National Team.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2006, 20:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Thanks; What sort of style of football does he like from his players?

Hearts currently have Valdas Ivanauskas as a temporary head coach and there is a strong chance he will be given the job full time because he is popular with players and fans.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:51
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol
Zelkevicius has a lot of experience. He managed legendary Zalgiris off and on since 1977 to 1996. All their best achievements were under his reign.
Later he managed Lithuanian National Team.
he also managed russian clubs Baltika Kaliningrad and KamaZ. Also he was the assistant manager of a big russian club for a short while. Cant remember what team. Maybe Rotor...
Can't remember when I last saw a team managed by him play so I can't be bothered to remember what kind of style do his teams play and anyway if he's gonna be the DOF does that really matter?

Last edited by KisLas; June 2nd, 2006 at 01:57.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:27 Thread Starter
Rising Star

I don't know because we're not really sure what a DOF does! So he seems to be a well respected figure in Lithuania then? Sounds promising.

Hearts are apparently going to play Atlantas in a preseason friendly as well, though I don't know if this has been confrimed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2006, 14:59
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsfan
I don't know because we're not really sure what a DOF does! So he seems to be a well respected figure in Lithuania then? Sounds promising.

Hearts are apparently going to play Atlantas in a preseason friendly as well, though I don't know if this has been confrimed.
you could say the he is well respected not only in Lithuania but in most of the former soviet union states.
A newspaper wrote about a planed friendly in Klaipeda with Atlantas (I posted it in the kickback forums if you got the news from there ) and other two games. probably FBK Kaunas and pro-romanov Silute. The games if they take place will be this month but no exact dates are set yet. The prsident of Klaipeda football federation said that the friendly with Hearts is very useful for Atlantas couse they didint qualify for any europien competitions this year.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2006, 19:43
vol
Rising Star

Weren't Atlantas bought by one of Romanov firms? I read it in ivartis.lt few months ago.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2006, 15:45
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by vol
Weren't Atlantas bought by one of Romanov firms? I read it in ivartis.lt few months ago.
Ukio Bankas is the main sponsor... what else there is needed to be known? the pro-romanova duo Atlantas and Silute. Just give them a chance to kiss Kaunas ass and they will do it just watch today Silute give points to Atlantas for their coming losses to FBK in A Lyga if not then my apologies.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2006, 23:39
Rising Star

Rumours floating in Latvia about fact that Pahars and Prohorenkovs could join Hearts FC. Any news on the other side?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2006, 11:37 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Its just been reported here this morning actually! Pahars has barely played in the past few years so isn't good enough for us, and I can't say I know much about the latter. I'd prefer Verpakofskis!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2006, 15:22
Rising Star

i would argue, Pahars is in good form atm, just Southampton coach didn't let him play. He was scoring for Saints 2nd team a lot, also for the first, but then was put on a bench. I think Hearts can only improve with Pahars. About Prohorenkovs - he's the one who's not good enough to play for any team, as he has not game practice for 2 years. Verpakovskis most probably won't go to Hearts, as i know.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2006, 23:03
Rising Star

damn I would love a baltic pair of Janny and Verpakovskis up front for Hearts. Or even Janny and Pahars. And yeah Prohorenkovs is surely not good enuff for Hearts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in