Mart Poom: The Legend Retires - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:10 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Mart Poom: The Legend Retires

As some of you already know, the impossible has happened! Mart Poom, undisputedly the best Estonian footballer ever, has joined a real European giant, Arsenal FC. Of course it's only a four-month loan contract at first, so let's not get carried away. But still...what an amazing deal.
At his prime in Derby County 5-6 years ago he was regarded as one of the best keepers in English Premiership, and IMO he was among the best 20 keepers in the world during these couple of seasons, but he never got the chance to prove his worth in a really big club. One of the reasons was that he was very highly rated at Derby. He was regarded as a model proffesional who worked extremely hard in training (it is later speculated that overtraining might be the main reason for his later injury problems), he was very popular among Derby fans and was selected their player of the year. Also, even when there were rumors linking him with better clubs, Poom never said anything about him wanting to leave Derby and never put any pressure on the club to sell him. That all meant that even after the financial collapse of the club he did not get a chance to leave. Eventually their refusal to let him go ruined Poom's chances to stay at the Premiership level: Everton wanted to sign him, but Derby's asking price was too high, so Everton went for Richard Wright and Poom was sold to Sunderland for a twice cheaper price only 6 months later. And only 6 months after that Sunderland was relegated to Div 1.
But the biggest problem in Poom's career have been his many injuries. He has always been injury-prone, but in the last 4 years he has been injured almost constantly. It ruined his last 1,5 years at Derby and his career at Sunderland. During the last years he has managed to play for Estonian NT only on few occasions, missing almost all the big games. He has been injured for the last 10 months without playing a single official match. It was a well-known fact that Sunderland wants to get rid of him and his high wages as soon as possible, as they had signed a good young keeper named Kelvin Davies form Ipswich and had no need for Poom anymore. By all logic it seemed that he is finished as a top-class goalkeeper and his future will be in some small second-rate club.

And then, completly out of the dark, Arsenal signs him.

So all I can say is...great.

If there is one player who deserves such a lucky turn of events, then it's him.

I can only hope that he stays clear of injuries during these 4 months. Then everything is possible. Considering that Lehmann isn't too reliable and is prone to pick up red cards, Poom might get a chance. Maybe he can even become a regular starter...everything is possible.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2005, 14:41
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Derby County, Burton Albion
Mart Poom is a legend

We've never found someone toreplace him at Derby. Best Keeper I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!

Of course, if we lose, I'll never admit it was me who wrote this.
Forest 2-5 Yeovil aet

Brian Clough - Legend!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2005, 14:43
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Lehmann isn't prone to pick up red cards, i don't think he has ever been sent off for us.

but if he is out then i'd like to see what Poom can do, Almunia is dodgy in the extreme, although it seems like Almunia is above Poom in the pecking order so far.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old September 20th, 2005, 21:45
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
Poom's still recovering from an injury AFAIK.

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old September 21st, 2005, 14:56
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by erki89
Poom's still recovering from an injury AFAIK.
well he was on the bench against Thun, so it can't be that bad.

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2006, 21:53 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Well he finally played his first match for Arsenal (after 14 months in the club), coming on for injured Manuel Almunia for the second half against Everton in League Cup (he also wore capitan's armband). Form what I heard he had a good game with some nice saves and Arsenal won 1-0.

Let's hope it won't be the last time he has this chance.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2007, 13:36 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Poom finally played his first Premiership match for Arsenal last weekend, facing his former club Portsmouth in a match that ended in a goalless draw.

He will most likely leave Arsenal during the summer as he reported that Wenger said he can move away for free (although he has one year of contract left)...let's hope he'll end his Arsenal fiasco as soon as possible and finds his form again in some smaller British club that allows him to play regularly...he said there is interest in him from Championship clubs as well as from Scottish premiership clubs (Hearts maybe?).

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2007, 20:50
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
Poom joined Watford on a 2 year deal.

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2007, 20:15 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Decent club, at least he should be a first choice keeper there

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:54
Banned
World Class Player

Teams: Romania, Dinamo Buc.
he's class & quality...
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2007, 16:50
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
very good goalkeeper, when with Derby he was often considered the best foreign goalkeeper in the EPL
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old October 2nd, 2007, 16:15 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Watford is currently leading the Championship after 8 rounds. Poom is obviously a starting keeper.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:00 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

He has decided to retire after several injury-plagued seasons and not getting a proper contract offer in England.

His last match will be the friendly against Portugal.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:46
kat
THE
Legend

Good match, worthy of him.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2013, 16:27
Forum Manager
Premier Player

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2013, 16:36
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Some nice reads in this thread. What a joke though, seriously, that Poom had to play second fiddle to an ordinary goalkeeper like Almunia [I noticed one of the few chances he got while at Arsenal was due to an injury Manuel picked up].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2013, 16:40 Thread Starter
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

for most of the time he played third fiddle for Lehmann and Almunia...so he rarely even made it to the bench.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2013, 17:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
If Poom was Spanish and Almunia was Estonian, Poom would have been given more opportunities. There's some kind of fetish for Spanish footballers in the EPL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2013, 19:18
Forum Manager
Premier Player

Hah... Won today one of fewest trophyies in his carrer (!)

Estonia small (2nd-4th league clubs) cup final

Btw winner will take part in UEFA Amateur cup
12. septembril kell 19:00 A. Le Cog Arenal
PAIDE LINNAMEESKOND II - FCF TALLINNA ÜLIKOOL 0:4 (0:3)
mitteametlik protokoll
Väravad: 20., 57. Rasmus Munskind, 25. Roman Minlibajev, 41. ov. Kalle Lepp
Hoiatused: 31. Chris Lee, 70. Rene Puhke - 63. Rauno Rikberg

Paide LM II: 1-Raiko Mets (61. 12-Mihhail Lavrentjev), 21-Rene Puhke, 3-Markus Mats Lellsaar, 25-Urmas Rooba, 10-Kalle Lepp, 15-Priit Raal, 6-Chris Lee, 30-Silver Neemelo (84. 18-Konstantin Kotivnenko), 22-Lauri Ellram, 9-Karel Seire (61. 11-Martin Muiste), 7-Tiit Tikenberg.
Varus: 18-Konstantin Kotivnenko, 19-Tanel Tuuleveski, 11-Martin Muiste, 5-Aleksei Korolenko, 8-Tarmo Paju, 29-Märv Antov, 12-Mihhail Lavrentjev.

FCF TÜ: 20-Mairon Pihor (73. 1-Mart Poom), 14-Martin Klasen, 17-Rauno Esaul, 33-Aivar Anniste, 5-Roman Minlibajev, 90-Robert Veskimäe (52. 25-Rauno Rikberg), 22-Antti Arst, 3-Mait Anton, 27-Martin Taska, 45-Rasmus Munskind, 10-Even Laanemaa (52. 77-Rauno Nõmmiko).
Varus: 11-Pelle Päivil, 1-Mart Poom, 88-Martti Pent, 25-Rauno Rikberg, 8-Mihkel-Matteus Luik, 77-Rauno Nõmmiko, 7-Marko-Alari Lont.

Mänguolud: +20, vahelduva pilvisusega sademeteta ilm; muruväljak väga heas seisukorras.
Pealtvaatajaid: 821
Peakohtunik: Maikel Mikson
Abikohtunikud: Jaanus Allas, Riivo Stolts
Neljas kohtunik: Veiko Mõtsnik

Adding to Poom there was also two long-time former interantional. central midfielders Liivo Leetma and Aivar Anniste (45/3) and maybe our all-time best left-back Urmas Rooba (71/1). Played several years in Midtylland and even in
Fc Kopenhagen!
Also there was several players with Meistriliiga experience. Underlined those guys.

Last edited by estfan; September 13th, 2013 at 15:22.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old December 19th, 2013, 22:34
Forum Manager
Premier Player

http://www.sportuk24.com/news/former...s-week/related

and with this also video to one of the legendariest moments of Estonia football history
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1r-btr5hQg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in