Are there any other Estonians here? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 19:33 Thread Starter
Rookie

Are there any other Estonians here?

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I've just been trying to get in contact with anyone who knows a lot about the domestic Estonian league.

I'm a half-Estonian 19-year-old defender currently playing NCAA college soccer in the United States, where I was born and raised. I'm spending this winter in Uruguay training with a 2nd division club and possibly even Sporting Defensor (a top club down there). I've also been playing on a semi-professional team here, managed to get into the 1st team, playing with older guys who have experience playing for clubs like Gimnasia La Plata, Westerlo, Catania, Defensor, Peñarol, Modena, San Jose (USA), Benfica, and even another youngster who has had trials at Arsenal and Bayern Munich. This has increased my desire to play abroad, since the only players here who play good skillful, tactical football are the foreigners.

So although I'm planning to train in South America in the near future, I'd rather play in Estonia, where I could have a real chance of playing for a "big" club. I'm curious as to how high the standards of the domestic league are, are all the 1st division clubs professional? How would I go about earning trials with them? Would a young foreigner be welcome?

Also, I have cousins in Nomme and Tartü, so if anyone has information on the clubs there, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 22:03
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
The 1st division clubs should be proffessional i think. Maybe a few are also semi-proffessional. However the league isn't very strong here.
In the 1st div are 8 clubs but next year it is going to be extended to 10 clubs. The three main clubs are all from Tallinn: FC Flora (www.fcflora.ee), FC levadia (www.fclevadia.ee) and FC TVMK (www.fctvmk.ee). Flora is the biggest sports club in Estonia. It has a many sister clubs(FC Valga, FC Kuressaare, Pärnu Tervis etc).
In Tartu are two "bigger" clubs, JK Merkuur who plays in Meistriliga (1st div) and JK Tammeka (2nd div) but Tammeka will join Meistriliiga next season. The homepages are www.jkmerkuur.ee and www.jktammeka.ee but they are in estonian.

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above

Last edited by erki89; October 1st, 2004 at 22:04. Reason: bad typo =D
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old October 1st, 2004, 22:13
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Quote:
I'm curious as to how high the standards of the domestic league are, are all the 1st division clubs professional?
Well, Estonian league is one of the weakest leagues in Europe.Most of the 1st division (Meistriliiga) clubs are professional, but there some semi-professional players in the league too.There is not much money moving in Estonian league, because it's quite unpopular - the average attendances are around 200-300, games are not televised.The average salary is quite low, under $1000 per month, so it's quite hard for players to make a living, unless they belong to some top club.
Currently there are 8 clubs in the Premier league, the big four is: FC Flora Tallinn, FC Levadia Tallinn, FC TVMK Tallinn, JK Narva Trans.The biggest is FC Flora, which is the basis of national team too.Over 90% of the players who play for the Estonian national team come through the Flora system.Flora and it's farm club Viljandi Tulevik are mostly composed from the players who have Estonian passport.Other 6 clubs in the league have lots of players without the passport, and also players from other Eastern European countries.

Quote:
How would I go about earning trials with them?Would a young foreigner be welcome?
Hard to say.I quess it might be difficult to get a trial in FC Flora, as they have quite a good youth system and usually doesn't use foreign players very often.Anyway, I quess that when you are good enough to train with Uruguayan 2nd division club, then you are good enough to at least earn a trial (and possibly a contract too) in most of the Estonian clubs.

Quote:
Also, I have cousins in Nomme and Tartü, so if anyone has information on the clubs there, it would be much appreciated.
There are plenty of clubs in Tallinn (Nõmme is the suburb of Tallinn).In Tartu there are two: JK Merkuur (1st division) and JK Tammeka (2nd division).

If you want to find general information, web pages and contact details of Estonian clubs, then I reccommend this page: http://www.soccernet.ee/koosseisud.php

Good luck.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2004, 10:23
kat
THE
Legend

Weatherwise, I recommend you to stay in Urugay. We have 12 months of bad skiing weather (inside national joke).
I also recommend you to contact clubs directly. Usually, to get in a big club, you need to show a good NT performances, but few forgeiners who played for FC Flora,also got chances to go somewhere else So, it's not impossible
Depends abit on your citizenship too, I think
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2004, 17:02
Rising Star

Teams: Bayern München, Estonia NT
There have sure been foreigners in Flora. Maybe the best known is Jonatan Johannson who plays in Charlton Athletic now.

Inside tank of fuel is not fuel,
but love, Above us, there is nothing above,
but the stars, above

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in