LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 10:06 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Czech Rep - Latvia [EURO 2004]

Is there life outta here ?
Why girls want always to be right ?
Pahars or Stolcers beside Verpakovskis ?

Many questions the humanity can't result for the moment, or maybe Starkovs ?

Tuesday 15th June

Czech Rep V Latvia

4 days to go ! Let's open the thread game for what we are all waiting for months and months...
Difficult game in prospect, but the three are
But obviously Latvia must play with theirs quality, team works, good counters attack and with no pressure. They have nothing lo lose.

Our opponent:

Maybe it will be:
Cech ( ) - Grygera Bolf Ujfaluši Jankulovski - Poborský Galásek Rosický Nedved - Koller Baroš -

What a midfield
Baros seems hot actually, and maybe Stepanovs will need a scale to hold Koller.
Czech republic is certainly one of the few favorit of this tournament, with Holland too in this group....

Come on Latvia ! Make your own history ! (And Starkovs needs sun-taking, you must go through the group stage)

Lai dzivo Latvija !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 13:41
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Their midfield is really great, one of the best in the tournament.But when Latvia plays it smart and has luck on their side...anything can happen.

Big games are easy than the other games, unfortunately. Every times we have the control the games, under the control the games, during the games we had the some possibilities, some big chances, some big okazyons, something like that but what can I do, sometimes? And….it’s the football, that’s the football, something happened. Everything is something happened. - Fatih Terim
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 15:42
Rising Star

Czech. rep no doubt is a strong team, they've good and professional players. For Latvia it'll be tough, but we should use our moments, if we want to reach at least a point.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 15:58
International

Teams: Parma, Bohemians, Cracovia
I must admit that I have never seen a full match of Latvia so I don't know much. We respect your team but it's true that if we want to go through then we should win this. Nobody claims it will be an easy match, we don't understimate you. But when we give our best we always win. So your mission is not to allow us to give our best.

ČEŠI DO TOHO!

NO AL CALCIO MODERNO
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 19:13
Rising Star

Opening match was great. And liked ceremony too. Greeks showed that it's "possible" to make a miracle. Honestly, who thought they can beat Portugal? Championship started great
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old June 12th, 2004, 23:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Indeed, the Greek have shown how to do : opportunist and great solidarity, even if Portugal was superior.
Czech will have to play their best.

Last edited by Fobal klub; June 12th, 2004 at 23:42.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 15:17
International

What is your probable starting XI?

NO AL CALCIO MODERNO
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 15:58
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Märco
What is your probable starting XI?
Starkovs announced that starting lineup will be known only in tuesday morning. But my guess is it could look like that.

Aleksandrs Koliņko
Mihails Zemļinskis
Igors N.Stepanovs
Dzintars Zirnis
Aleksandrs Isakovs
Vitālijs Astafjevs
Imants Bleidelis
Andrejs Rubins
Juris Laizāns
Māris Verpakovskis
Andrejs Prohorenkovs / or Vits Rimkus
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 16:11
International

Thanks.

NO AL CALCIO MODERNO
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 20:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Like the greeks, i think Latvia will have to score first in order to make the Czech doubt a few.

A question Redbox: do you know who takes the free kick in the Latvian NT ? Laizans ? Astafjevs ?
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 21:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

oh my God ! Redbox ! Everything is possible in this tournament

Come on Latvia !

http://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE...atvi_2fagm.gif
Edit : Arf.... [img] code don't work in this forum

Last edited by Fobal klub; June 13th, 2004 at 21:44.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 21:44
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Fobal klub
oh my God ! Redbox ! Everything is possible in this tournament

Come on Latvia
http://www.3dflags.com/assets/XV21AE...atvi_2fagm.gif
Yes, after what i saw in England-France match everything is possible. Congrats with 3 points Fobal
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2004, 21:45
Rising Star

Quote:
Like the greeks, i think Latvia will have to score first in order to make the Czech doubt a few.

A question Redbox: do you know who takes the free kick in the Latvian NT ? Laizans ? Astafjevs ?
Laizans from the right leg, if it's left then - Rubins.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 12:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

LAT-VI-JA !
(i am training for tomorrow)
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 14:11
Rising Star

Quote:
LAT-VI-JA !
(i am training for tomorrow)
You're maybe the first foreigner, who is such fanatic about Latvia NT Don't forget also the slogan - "Pretinieki kabači, mūsējie ir malači"
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 16:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

"Pretinieki kabaci, műsejie ir malaci"

What does it mean ?
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 17:50
Rising Star

Quote:
"Pretinieki kabaci, műsejie ir malaci"

What does it mean ?
Enemies are marrows, our guys are attaboys
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2004, 21:23 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Nice slogan
The game preview
----------------------------------------------------------

Latvia out to check Czechs

Two teams with contrasting ambitions at UEFA EURO 2004™ open the Group D proceedings in Aveiro on Tuesday. The Czech Republic have come to Portugal as a much-fancied outside tip to go all the way in the competition - while Latvia are viewed as the tournament minnows following their remarkable play-off qualification last autumn.

Latvian resilience
The Czechs are justifiably favourites to take the points - but it would be folly to disregard a Latvian side that was resilient and resourceful enough to grab a surprise and precious away win against fellow Portugal travellers Sweden to finish second in their qualifying group, followed up by an even more sensational result in the play-off against 2002 FIFA World Cup bronze medallists Turkey. After a gutsy 1-0 win in Riga, a marvellous comeback from a 2-0 deficit earned a 2-2 draw in Istanbul and an unlikely place in the EURO field this summer.

Czech pedigree
The latest team in the Latvians' sights are the Czechs, who are looking to summon the spirit of EURO '96™ when their polished, intelligent football took them to the final in England and the eventual heartbreak of a golden-goal defeat by Germany in the final. Many pundits are deeply impressed with the current squad's pedigree - a good few see the Czech adventure culminating in a place in the final at least.

Fast-track to finals
The Czech Republic stormed through their qualifying group, seven wins and a draw in eight matches and a 23-5 goal balance proving too much for the rest of a section which included the Netherlands. The remaining survivors of the 1996 vintage have been joined by a new generation that contains a wealth of tried-and-trusted talents on the European club scene, as well as newcomers from the European Under-21 title-winning outfit two years ago.

Solid defence
Latvia's admirable coach Aleksandrs Starkovs is concerned with forming a solid defensive block within a likely 4-2-2-2 formation. Goalkeeper Aleksandrs Kolinko is set to play despite a recent injury absence, while Igors Stepanovs and Mihails Zemlinkis are set for plenty of work in central defence. The versatility of Jurijs Laizans all over the field could also be used somewhere in Starkovs' line-up.

Forward options
Vitalis Astafjevs can make a crucial contribution in central midfield. Up front, Starkovs has a clear choice - Maris Verpakovskis, scorer of the Istanbul play-off equaliser, and tall partner Andrejs Prohorenkovs are his preferred front duo, with the pacy Marians Pahars unlikely to start after long-term injury troubles.

Heroes of '96
The Czech Republic have no injury worries ahead of the match. Their game, a flexible 4-4-2 system, is based around the outstanding Juventus FC playmaker Pavel Nedved - a 1996 hero - and skilful midfield partner Tomáš Rosický. One of the finds of the 1996 adventure, Karel Poborský, remains a constant threat to defenders on the wide left, while Tomáš Galásek provides the defensive midfield cover.

Aerial power
Further forward, BV Borussia Dortmund's massive 2.02m spearhead Jan Koller will test Latvia's mettle alongside the deceptively powerful Milan Baroš, a UEFA European Under-21 Championship winner two years ago. In defence, René Bolf and Tomáš Ujfaluši must guard against complacency against a Latvia side used to hurting teams when they least expect it.

Coaches' view
"We expect the Latvians to put plenty of men behind the ball," warned Nedved. On the other hand, Starkovs will have none of the 'just happy to be here' vibe expressed by many compatriots. "I will be content only if we pick up points," he emphasised before the game. Realistically, though, a point from a draw would be a triumph for a team that few expected to be sharing in the Portuguese party

Czech Republic (possible): Cech; Jankulovski, Ujfaluši, Bolf, Grygera; Nedved, Rosický, Galásek, Poborský; Koller, Baroš.

Latvia (possible): Kolinko; Zirnis, Stepanovs, Zemlinskis, Blagonadezdins; Bleidelis, Astafjevs; Rubins, Laizans; Verpakovskis, Prohorenkovs.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2004, 22:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

(You are entering in the fourth dimension!!!)

Czech Republic - Latvia : 2 - 1

Well don't know what are my feelings:
So happy when Verpakovskis scored his goal (Strange Cech perform today BTW). Finally the victory is fully deserved for the Czech, but i have got the feelings that "hey ! they could have done something unbelievable". Actually they were not that far from doing it, even if they suffered a lot in the last 15 minutes.
The 10 first minutes were also very hard, Latvian seems also very nervous during this 10 minutes...
I think i need to see it again, i will make further comments later, but thank Mr. Verpakovskis and all the latvian for all the joy you gave me when you scored.

Last edited by Fobal klub; June 15th, 2004 at 22:37.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2004, 22:49
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobal klub
(You are entering in the fourth dimension!!!)

Czech Republic - Latvia : 2 - 1

Well don't know what are my feelings:
So happy when Verpakovskis scored his goal (Strange Cech perform today BTW). Finally the victory is fully deserved for the Czech, but i have got the feelings that "hey ! they could have done something unbelievable". Actually they were not that far from doing it, even if they suffered a lot in the last 15 minutes.
The 10 first minutes were also very hard, Latvian seems also very nervous during this 10 minutes...
I think i need to see it again, i will make further comments later, but thank Mr. Verpakovskis and all the latvian for all the joy you gave me when you scored.
What can i say? Yes, maybe i realized that it's not possible to win, but after Maris DID IT, you should look here in Riga, everyone screamed like crazy. We had a belief. Not that it's a big tragic here now, but anyway. Starkovs cried, Kolinko.. and this girl, which you could see in stadium. In interview after match Verpakovskis approved - whole team believed in win. Czechs were better technicaly and they were fast, but i imo a draw would be a fair result. Second goal czechs scored was the most painful, cause it could not be, if Zemlinskis hit the ball more stronger out of our area. But what happened happened, we're proud of our team, they showed it wasn't an accident we are playing there. Waiting for the next match with excite.

For reflection http://gol.mkafisha.ru/evro2004/czech_latvia11.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in