World Cup 2006 (Fixtures and standings) - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 17:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
World Cup 2006 (Fixtures and standings)

Pot A: France, Portugal, Sweden, Czech Republic, Spain, Italy, England, Turkey

Pot B: Holland, Croatia, Belgium, Denmark, Russia, Republic of Ireland, Slovenia, Poland

Pot C: Bulgaria, Romania, Scotland, Serbia-Montenegro, Switzerland, Greece, Slovakia, Austria

Pot D: Ukraine, Iceland, Finland, Norway, Israel, Bosnia, Latvia , Wales

Pot E: Hungary, Georgia, Belarus, Cyprus, Estonia , Northern Ireland, Lithuania , Macedonia

Pot F: Albania, Armenia, Moldavia, Azerbaijan, Faroe Islands, Malta, San Marino, Liechtenstein

Pot G: Andorra, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 18:19
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
I really hope that Estonia gets drawed into interesting group this time as these games are my only chance to see top class football live at the stadium.Our Euro 2004 qualifiers group was dissapointingly plain and boring.

I would like to see this group:

Italy
Holland
Scotland
Finland
Estonia
Faroe Islands
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:17
Rising Star

My wish is that it`d be nice to see Latvia in the same group with Estonia or Lithuania. I bet these games would be interesting, and as often said we could call them "Baltic derby" Games between Baltic states are always principle and exciting. For Latvia also i would wish whatever group but except NL, France, Italy or Spain - others are welcomed

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:20
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Christ
I really hope that Estonia gets drawed into interesting group this time as these games are my only chance to see top class football live at the stadium.Our Euro 2004 qualifiers group was dissapointingly plain and boring.

I would like to see this group:

Italy
Holland
Scotland
Finland
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Why do you wish Faroe Islands in same group? Basically i think they will offer more boring football than you`ve seen. It`s enough for me to see Latvia playing against San Marino for example, it`s football to one side with no real offense from opponent.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:22
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by redbox
My wish is that it`d be nice to see Latvia in the same group with Estonia or Lithuania. I bet these games would be interesting, and as often said we could call them "Baltic derby" Games between Baltic states are always principle and exciting.
Yes, that would be interesting. And for some reason I have a feeling that Estonia and Lativia WILL end up in same group.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:24 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

Guess if we would have a Turkey-Latvia, that would be strange....
I would like to see a France-Latvia, just for seeing Latvia team playing in France, but i would rather see a friendly game.....
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

The drawing is tommorow i think, but i am not sure.....
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:36
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Why do you wish Faroe Islands in same group? Basically i think they will offer more boring football than you`ve seen. It`s enough for me to see Latvia playing against San Marino for example, it`s football to one side with no real offense from opponent.
Estonia often plays friendlies against teams like Armenia, Moldavia and Azerbaijan It would be boring to face same teams in WC qualifiers too.Albania would be worst possible opponent from this pot, they recently beated us in a friendly.Faroe Islands, Malta, Liechenstein and San Marino would all be easy opponents and would almost guarantee 6 pts from two games for us.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 19:40
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fobal klub
The drawing is tommorow i think, but i am not sure.....
Yes, it's tomorrow.Starts 1700 GMT
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2003, 21:54
Rising Star

Quote:
Yes, that would be interesting. And for some reason I have a feeling that Estonia and Lativia WILL end up in same group.
Tomorrow you could see if your feeling was right
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2003, 18:03
Rising Star

Group 3

Your thoughts didn`t fool you Andy, Latvia is playing with Estonia in the same group anyway, seems to be very tough games and very principle ones

Group 3:
1. Portugal
2. Russia
3. Slovakia
4. Latvia
5. Estonia
6. Liechtenstein
7. Luxembourg
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2003, 20:38 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Legend

lol you have too play at the national lottery now Andy
Russia, Estonia and Latvia in the same group, that would make big games....

Group 7

Spain
Belgium
Serbia-Montenegro
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Lithuania
San Marino

Very hard group for Lithuania too......
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2003, 21:19
Rising Star

I noticed some strange thing in this draw. Almost biggest % of the teams in the same group are closes neighbours. Makes me think about the draw itself. Was it live?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2003, 22:46
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
I noticed some strange thing in this draw. Almost biggest % of the teams in the same group are closes neighbours. Makes me think about the draw itself. Was it live?
Maybe it was a massive conspiracy by UEFA to cut the travelling costs of the teams? Plane tickets are expensive nowadays

Anyway, good draw.Not very difficult and at the same time interesting group.Games against Latvia and Russia will be fierce derbies, also match against Portugal should be able to get a full house to Lilleküla stadium.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2003, 23:15
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Portugal is most difficult opponent in this group.But on a good day, when Estonia puts up a great defensive performance and has luck on its side, a draw is possible.
Russia has many talented players, but they have a problem to make them effectively perform as a team.Estonia won Russia 2-1
in a friendly in 2002.This is still regarded as the most important win in our football history.But when we would win them in a official match, it would be even greater.Obviously Russia is the team every Estonian would like to see beaten and our players will be extra-charged to win this match.I wouldn't be surprised when Estonia wins Russia at home.
Latvia and Slovakia are both a bit stronger teams than Estonia, but difference in quality is not very big and both are beatable opponents.
Liechtenstein & Luxembourg - against them Estonia should get 12 pts from four matches.

In summary, fourth place and 18 points from twelve games would be minimum expected achievement.Third place in the group is possible if everything goes really well.Getting second place requires excellent performances plus loads of luck.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 11:48
Rising Star

More or less but teams in this group are nearly equal. Evident is only Portugal advantage if they`ll save the same rooster as now after Euro2004. Latvia has all the chances to qualify for WC2006 in case if we won`t loose players from present squad. Our coach already said that he`s not satisfied of playing with Russia - cause in that case games will always have political temper, what is not good. With all other teams we can fight, and as well we can fight for the win. Can only be solidar with our coach who delivered that no matter what but our destination point of this tournament is one - Germany in 2006.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 11:59
Rising Star

Quote:
Portugal is most difficult opponent in this group.But on a good day, when Estonia puts up a great defensive performance and has luck on its side, a draw is possible.
Talking about defense i`ve noticed interesting congruence which Estonia should change if you wanna qualify for WorldCup2006. In all of preliminary round games Estonia scored goals only to Andora NT. To win you must attack, defense can help to keep out self goals clean, but attack can help to win. I hope your coach will start dealing this problem.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 12:06
Rising Star

Some statistic - with all of teams from our group after re-newing independence Latvia has played already.

With Portugal we`ve played twice. in 1994 we lost with 1:3 and in 1995 lost with 2:3

With Russia we played once, and lost 1:3

With Estonia we`ve played 14 times - 11 wins and 3 draws

With Lichtenstein played twice - both times won with 1:0

With Slovakia we played once and lost 1:3

With Luxembourg we played once and won 3:0
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 16:36
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Talking about defense i`ve noticed interesting congruence which Estonia should change if you wanna qualify for WorldCup2006. In all of preliminary round games Estonia scored goals only to Andora NT. To win you must attack, defense can help to keep out self goals clean, but attack can help to win. I hope your coach will start dealing this problem.
Well, improving Estonia's attacking game was the main reason why Dutch coach Arno Pijpers was appointed as our manager.At first he tried to make our game more open and technical instead of defensive and direct-passing Scandinavian style used by previous foreign manager, Icelandic Teitur Thordarsson.But soon it became clear that Estonia doesn't have enough quality to play in a style used in Holland.In two last games of last WC qualifying tournament Estonia faced Holland and Portugal away and lost both games 5-0, clearly lacking discipline and organisation in defence.Pijpers took his lesson and from there on Estonian game is again built on strong defensive basis; there's often 10 players defending and only one striker up front against stronger teams.And in EURO qualifiers Estonia performed rather good: draws against Croatia and Bulgaria and two wins against Andorra; overall goal difference 4-6, no defensive collapses resulting in big losses.But the fact that no goals were scored by us in these 6 games against stronger opponents (Belgium, Croatia, Bulgaria) is obviously dissapointing (it's worth mentioning though that Estonia had couple of chances in almost all of these games and it's a real shame that all of these were wasted).Anyway, it's obvious that against teams like Portugal and Russia strong defensive display is a must as difference in player quality is huge, but against all other teams in the group Estonia can allow more open and attacking mentality.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 17:36
Rising Star

Hard to say how easy it`ll be to reorientate from defensive style to open game. For Latvia it took quite a long time to make the game we show now, it was a lot of practice and training, and with this game we`ve made success. And the reason why i don`t accept foreign coaches - they`re not able to be so well informed as native ones. Aleksandrs Starkovs is coach here, he knows situation in our football, he knows many players, and it`s key why we succeed in this euro tournament. Former we had some british and georgian experts. They were good as professionals - but bad in player selecting and knowing them personally, which is part of game.

Last edited by redbox; December 6th, 2003 at 17:43.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in