Congratulations! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2003, 21:35 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
Congratulations!

Congratulations with the new Baltic forum, with football from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2003, 21:41
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Stade Rennais, Latvia.
Thanks ! i hope it will work !
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2003, 22:15
Rising Star

Thanks for making it. Seems that there are new times for Baltic football, and now all world will hear about Baltic states. Let`s wish that Baltic NT would progress with each year more and more

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2003, 23:52
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Estonia
Good idea this Baltic forum.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 09:20
kat
THE
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by redbox
Thanks for making it. Seems that there are new times for Baltic football, and now all world will hear about Baltic states. Let`s wish that Baltic NT would progress with each year more and more
What is Baltic NT, btw?

I had several discussions with Jan about the forum and sorry, to me is this forumname unacceptable."Baltic" is a term which use people who don't know about history or don't care about it.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 09:34
Premier Player
Star Player

Teams: Liverpool, Parma
Its just a geographical invention just like Asia, and mind you, I am not too happy about the title "Asia forum" either.

How I feel everyday.....

:eekani: :undecide: p :smileani: :nervous: :broken: :rollani: :dielaugh:
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 10:04
kat
THE
Legend

No, it is a political term. It was maden by the Soviet Union folks only in the 40s, it was too difficult to call 3 different states and they were going to mix up all the nations anyway, so they started to use "the Balitic" Mind you, we don't even call the sea as Baltic sea but as Westsea.
But that's just me, too pickey. I just don't wanna continue to use a word, which symbolizes the horrible 50 years.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 10:56 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
I found a site, that explains the word:

Baltica

The first recorded use of the word Baltic was by 11th century German chronicler Adamus Bremen, who, writing in Latin, referred to Mare Balticum, the Baltic Sea. One version is that he got the term from the Danish word for belt, bŠlteŚas in the belt-like shape of the sea itself. Another theory is that Baltic derives from the Prussian word for land-locked bay, balt. Others say Baltic is from the Lithuanian word baltas, or whiteŚas in the white, wind-swept sea.

Source:
http://www.balticsww.com/tourist/

Is it really that bad? The whole world uses it, and I also asked in the Latvian thread about it, and they seemed fine with it.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 12:01
Rookie

kat
I live in Latvia and can only say that we often use word Baltic when and mostly don't see there any political context. At least now. As Orange wrote this is mostly geographic therm. It shows also that we have common events in past, also happy.
PS. I accept this name of forum. For me name Baltic does not symbolize horrible 50 years.

If I know english better i could discuss more about this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 12:06
kat
THE
Legend

Ignorance is the bliss. How easily we forget "pribaltija is fascists"
Nevermind Orange, I can just stay out of teh forum.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 12:07
Forum Manager
Legend

i am not Latvian, i am french, and i think like about 99,99% of the whole world, no one has a negative feeling about this word....
Like Orange i thought that was an historical word,and not given by soviet union
Well i know what my french history teach me that perhaps not the reality....
If you want, find another name,but i think that would be pity not to have these forum....
that just a geographical term for me......
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 12:19
Rookie

Who are talking about ignorance? I know history very good and know what happen in the USSR time. But fact that Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia keep together as Baltic states, allowwed us become independent again. Such small countries as we must keep together.

This is from one Lithuanian site http://www.lithuania.lt/IMI/i_en.jsp?nr=istorija_15

August 23, 1989 was an extraordinary day, when some 2 million people from Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia linked hands, and formed a living chain, stretching from Vilnius through Riga and up to Tallinn. This human chain stretched some 650 km in total. The event was an act of solidarity during the 50-year anniversary commemoration of the transaction between J. Stalin and A. Hitler against the Baltic countries. This act of solidarity was named Baltijos kelias (Baltijas ce´­ in Latvian ) (Baltic Road). A declaration was made during a solemn session of the Seimas of Sajudis Lithuanian Reorganisation Movement. The declaration stated that the relationship between Lithuania and the USSR must be based on the Peace Treaty of July 12th of 1920.

Last edited by Ulrihs; November 20th, 2003 at 12:29.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 12:19
Forum Manager
Legend

Welcome Ulrihs !

Last edited by Fobal klub; January 4th, 2004 at 09:42.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 12:54
Rising Star

Kat: seems you want to define history by your point of view. Term Baltica is connected with that Lithuania`s and Latvia`s native inhabitants are from Balt tribes - and as it takes most of territory region has been called as Baltica. I don`t know also from where you took that Baltic sea is now called Westsea - i`m still calling it like this, and everyone i know too. And also, big time before USSR occupation this region was called Baltica - so there`s no link between USSR and Baltica name. Let me guess - are you estonian? If so, then i can understand why are you saying smth like this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 13:43
kat
THE
Legend

No, the thing was called Baltic chain and it was the anniversary on the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. And I am not a Balt tribe and it is a Westsea.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 13:48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
No, the thing was called Baltic chain and it was the anniversary on the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. And I am not a Balt tribe and it is a Westsea.
Strange I 25 years lived by the Westsea and even didn't know that .
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 13:51
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
Please kat, what a Baltic chain? Only Baltic chain (actually i do remember Baltic road) was made in 90-ies to consolided republics away from USSR power and show our freedom willings. Molotov-Ribentrop pact divided Eastern Europe between Russia and Germany, it also contained secret addition which said that Germany is changing Lithuania territory to Poland east side. From where you got some "chain" name? And even - name of the Baltic states figured out in the 1920.-1939. years when there were no Ribentrop-Molotov pacts or any things like this. And your definitely not from Balt tribe, cause there`s just one left, and as i know your not lithuanian neither latvian.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 13:57
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Congratulations!

I see you are doing your own version of teh balkans, already

Well, much much much better of course, as I could never imagine a "Balkan forum" here Ma-ma-mia ... woudl be a killer!

Good luck and ... WELL DONE LATVIA!

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 14:07
kat
THE
Legend

Bhwahaaa.
You'd amuse me if it wouldn't be just sad.
The Baltic chain or as you say Baltic Road was purely the sad celebration of the MRP, which 50th anniversary it was. And the additional protocols didn't involve only Lithuania but other states as well. Never heard it was overnamed to Baltic Road, but hey, you remember it.
Germans call it Ostsee. We call it Westsea. You call it whatever you like.

Bono, how about the Macedonian forum? I'll go find Amo...
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2003, 14:21
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
Bhwahaaa.
You'd amuse me if it wouldn't be just sad.
The Baltic chain or as you say Baltic Road was purely the sad celebration of the MRP, which 50th anniversary it was. And the additional protocols didn't involve only Lithuania but other states as well. Never heard it was overnamed to Baltic Road, but hey, you remember it.
Germans call it Ostsee. We call it Westsea. You call it whatever you like.

Bono, how about the Macedonian forum? I'll go find Amo...
Your calling it "anniversary" ? I prefer to choose sad reminiscence designation. To be totally honest - Baltic road was made as an stock to demonstrate to all the world, that Baltic states wants to be free, and it fits with the day when Russia and Germany made a pact. About additional protocol i really missed stuff - it divided all Eastern Europe to interest spheres. Germans calls it Ostsee? And you call Westsea? Could i know what you mean with this direct sea? If you mean Baltic Sea, then all world atlases, known by me, are claiming it's Baltic Sea and has no other name. The same way i can call Atlantic ocean how i like, but it won`t change a fact that it`s the Atlantic Ocean. If you are talking about some other sea, then i`m sorry.

Last edited by redbox; November 20th, 2003 at 14:36.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in