Metalist Kharkiv - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 16:30 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: CSKA Kyiv, UNT
Metalist Kharkiv

We don't talk much about Metalist, but I think it's appropriate to say a big congratulations to them for winning the "bronze medal" this season and qualifying for the UEFA Cup next season.

I have only seen one game there about 7 years ago and their club has come a long way with reconstruction of the stadium and rebuilding of what is now one of the best teams in Ukraine, and almost foreigner free.

Well done to them.

"You don't play football for the name on the back of your shirt, you play football for the name on the front."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 17:08
Unnamed

Yea, I agree. They've managed to have all this success with a Ukrainian based team; kind of like Dnipro a few years back. They can get even closer to Shakhtar before the season ends; which brings up the question: since SD and DK began dominating the UPL, what was the closest the 3rd place team ever was to 2nd?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 17:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Good question - without looking it up on the internet I would guess it might be in the 1999-2000 season when I think Krivbas and Vorskla were quite close to Shakhtar right up until the end of the season. Krivbas qualified for Europe and I think played Parma in Dnipropetrovsk.

"You don't play football for the name on the back of your shirt, you play football for the name on the front."

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 17:32 Thread Starter
Rising Star

1.Dynamo Kyiv 30 27 3 0 85-18 84 Champions
2.Shakhtar Donets'k 30 21 3 6 60-16 66 Champions' League
3.Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih 30 18 6 6 54-30 60 UEFA Cup
4.Vorskla Poltava 30 14 7 9 50-34 49 UEFA Cup
5.Metalist Kharkiv 30 12 8 10 41-39 44 [2 0 2 0 1-1 2, 1 away goal]
6.Metalurh Zaporizhzhya 30 12 8 10 43-35 44 [2 0 2 0 1-1 2, 0 away goals]
7.Metalurh Donets'k 30 11 10 9 39-35 43
8.Metalurh Mariupol' 30 13 3 14 49-48 42
9.Karpaty L'viv 30 12 4 14 39-38 40
10.CSCA Kyiv 30 9 8 13 31-36 35
11.Dnipro Dnipropetrovs'k 30 8 9 13 26-52 33
12.Nyva Ternopil' 30 7 10 13 40-57 31
13.Tavria Symferopol' 30 7 8 15 32-51 29 [2 2 0 0 3-0 6]
---------------------------------------------------------
14.Prykarpattya Ivano-Frankivs'k 30 7 8 15 27-47 29 [2 0 0 2 0-3 0] Relegated
15.Chornomorets' Odesa 30 6 8 16 20-50 26 Relegated
16.Zirka Kirovohrad 30 0 9 21 16-66 9 Relegated

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 18:19
World Class Player

Teams: Karpaty Lviv & Ukraine
I followed Metalist for about 25 years sicne the time they played in Soviet 2nd Div. They play the very same boring brand of anti-football for the last 25 years, it never changed. Considering how big Kharkiv is, they never had more than 5-7,000 constant followers. Never really liked them.

The key in their bronze was a game in Lviv which they refused to pospone, detemined to take the bronze by any means. After they were awarded 3 points in this game (3 points which no one would give them if the game played), Dnipro folded. For this, I think Metal's bronze is "damaged". I am sure, you;ll say I am prejudiced as Karpaty fan, but look at the mirror and decide what u would think if it was your team, not Karpaty, involved in this situation.

And not only they are not foreigners free but they have some of their key players borrowed (Fomin).
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 18:44
World Class Player

Teams: Karpaty & Arsenal
Congrats to Metalist!
Dont think those 3 Lviv points would've made much difference. Dnipro never really had any decent runs throughout the season. They can lose points anywhere and get them from anywhere as well.
Metalist on the other hand was one of the best (if not the best) team this spring. Remember that Spring table i posted here earlier. Shakhtar, Dynamo and Metal all had even points. Now that Shahta dropped 2 in Lviv, Metal are topping the table.

P.S. Wish them luck in the UEFA Cup next season.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 19:28
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman
Dont think those 3 Lviv points would've made much difference. Dnipro never really had any decent runs throughout the season. They can lose points anywhere and get them from anywhere as well.
:
At the time, I recall, only 3 points separated metal from Dnipro, with the game between them looming at Dnipro. After that karpaty's "game", the gap increased to 6 and, considering the schedule, it was clear that it will be difficult to catch Metal. These 3 points, if not decisive, player a major role in the dynamic of a battle for the 3rd spot.

Btw, did Metal gained any points from 4 games vs. Dynamo & SD? I can;t recall To me, it's an important indication of how good the team was.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 19:51
Star Player

Teams: Shakhtar Donetsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by yurchishin79
And not only they are not foreigners free but they have some of their key players borrowed (Fomin).
How are they foreigners free??

a. Seweryn Ganczarzyk,
b. Vitaliy Bordiyan,
c. Milan Obradovic,
d. Papa Guye,
e. Aliaksandr Danilav,
f. Marco Devic,
g. Flavius Stoican,
h. Onyekachi Nwoha -

who do these guys play for, Dnipro Cherkasy or w/e??

AVISO

MAU HUMOR

CAI FORA
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 19:52
World Class Player

Quote:
At the time, I recall, only 3 points separated metal from Dnipro, with the game between them looming at Dnipro. After that karpaty's "game", the gap increased to 6 and, considering the schedule, it was clear that it will be difficult to catch Metal. These 3 points, if not decisive, player a major role in the dynamic of a battle for the 3rd spot.

Btw, did Metal gained any points from 4 games vs. Dynamo & SD? I can;t recall To me, it's an important indication of how good the team was.
Its not as important as you would've think. Dynamo couldnt beat Vorskla in 2 attempts this season. Does that indicate they are a good club? As good as Dynamo?
Or what about bottom clubs like Illichivets and Stal who got points vs Shakhtar and Dynamo respectivelly.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 19:52
World Class Player

Of course they are. That's what I said. Other Ukr. players are borrowed too.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 19:57
World Class Player

Quote:
Its not as important as you would've think. Dynamo couldnt beat Vorskla in 2 attempts this season. Does that indicate they are a good club?
Or what about bottom clubs like Illichivets and Stal who got points vs Shakhtar and Dynamo respectivelly.
I think it is. Don't you expect the team No3 to gain a single point from the top 2 in 4 tries? These are the only games that were free of any thoughts of being bought. These are the games were real character is tested.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 20:07
World Class Player

Technically, thats 0 points in 6 games (including the Cup p). Yes, it is weird, but not unique. The same year Dnipro had that amazing run in Europe, they also lost all of their games to the BIG2. They finished in the UEFA Cup zone that year too.
It was definetely not an indicator that DNipro were buying the other games or that they were good only against the lower league teams
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2007, 20:21
World Class Player

Quote:
Technically, thats 0 points in 6 games (including the Cup p). Yes, it is weird, but not unique. The same year Dnipro had that amazing run in Europe, they also lost all of their games to the BIG2. They finished in the UEFA Cup zone that year too.
It was definetely not an indicator that DNipro were buying the other games or that they were good only against the lower league teams
Obviously, Chudo was really bad last season too when they got the bronze and Metal won it more convincingly then Chudo. So, there is value to your point. But does that make Metal's bronze less worthy? I would say, yes. All they did, they were more stable and determined with the teams outside the big2.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:52
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
Quote:
Obviously, Chudo was really bad last season too when they got the bronze and Metal won it more convincingly then Chudo. So, there is value to your point. But does that make Metal's bronze less worthy? I would say, yes. All they did, they were more stable and determined with the teams outside the big2.
Well they are "only" 11 points ahead of the third place,and 15 from the fourth.:rollani: ,only lost one game outside the big two,have the best attack outside the big two,have the second best defense...clearly the third best uke team by far.You are biased also regarding metalist,funny!?

Russian women

World volley champio
Vice olympic volley champion
World handball champion
European basket champion
Vice world basket champion
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:53
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
Well they are "only" 11 points ahead of the third place,and 15 from the fourth.:rollani: ,only lost one game outside the big two,have the best attack outside the big two,have the second best defense...clearly the third best uke team by far.You are biased also regarding metalist,funny!?
I hate these little p*ssies' guts!

And, I am positive that if that would be Karpaty up there, you would be writing an essay on 3 pages with 1000 reasons why Karpaty did not deserve it, you, portuguese negidnyk.

Last edited by yurchishin79; May 22nd, 2007 at 13:00.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 13:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

And, I am positive that if that would be Karpaty up there, you would be writing an essay on 3 pages with 1000 reasons why Karpaty did not deserve it, you, portuguese negidnyk.
,you are the only one so far in this thread who don't give credit to metalist bronze medalist,go figure.....:rollani:

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 17:48
Star Player

Quote:

Yurchishin, I'm never feeling like teaching the more experienced people how to live and what to say, but it looks like it's the case to be as moderate as possible in one's comments.

Not a single team in the league made its way sooo brightly (like Shakhtar in 2004/05 ), but then those who earned 3rd number of points most likely deserve to get the bronze the most. :smileani: That's how we all should accept it, Dynamo the 1st, Metalist the 3rd, Illichivets relegated etc. :rollani:

AVISO

MAU HUMOR

CAI FORA
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 18:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
Yurchishin, I'm never feeling like teaching the more experienced people how to live and what to say, but it looks like it's the case to be as moderate as possible in one's comments.

Not a single team in the league made its way sooo brightly (like Shakhtar in 2004/05 ), but then those who earned 3rd number of points most likely deserve to get the bronze the most. :smileani: That's how we all should accept it, Dynamo the 1st, Metalist the 3rd, Illichivets relegated etc. :rollani:
Chishn is seeing to many nhl games.:rollani:

And Dynamo 1st? ,have you already gave up like your coach?

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 18:35
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
And Dynamo 1st? ,have you already gave up like your coach?
I'm realistic, the virtue you reveal too seldom.

AVISO

MAU HUMOR

CAI FORA
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2007, 18:37
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
I'm realistic, the virtue you reveal too seldom.
Ah,i see....btw how many brazilians are expected to play tomorow,8,9? p

Russian women

World volley champio
World handball champion
European basket champion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in