What's it like in Kiev during winter? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 21:31 Thread Starter
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Teams: ♣♠♣ SRBIJA ♣♠♣
What's it like in Kiev during winter?

Hope you guys can give me a little bit more info about Kiev during winter time.

My class is planning a trip to Kiev in February, It seems very interesting and I want to go too, but then I heard that it gets -20°C This disturbs me the most as I really dislike cold weather, even 0°C is bad enough for me, I can't imagine how it must be at -20.
So I would like to ask the people that live in Kiev or have ever been there the following questions.

What's it like to live in such extreme temperatures?
How would you rate a 2-star hotel in Ukraine, is it comfortable, does it have the basic needs etc...
Are there many girls and clubs ?
How is the food over there?

"I took shrooms at a naked beach. Fat people looked like they were made out of melting wax. I thought the homos had lasers for eyes and when they checked me out I'd feel burning on my skin. That's a day I'll never forget, for sure."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 22:02
GreenLion1963

First - It's Kyiv, not Kiev . Im not from Kyiv but I know the city decently.

It can sometimes get to -20 in Kyiv, but normally its much tamer. -3,4,5 etc. A 2 star hotel... Well... It will have all the basic needs, but I dont think much more. Whats it called, if you don't mind me asking? The food is great, try and go to one of those "Laskyvo Prosymo" I think they're called ; It's kind of like a buffet ; You chose what you want, put it on a tray, then go to a cashier who looks at what you have and charges you a price. Try Ukrainian Borsch! It's amazing, I loved it... So salty though.... Where are you coming from? If you're going from Serbia to Kyiv then prices might (I think) seem high for you, but if you're going from USA or Canada or England or etc to Kyiv, then prices will seem very cheap. Its a beautiful city. You can buy quality football jerseys for like $9, the alcohol is cheaper, ride the subway (which is beautiful) for like 20 cents, etc...

Oh, and the girls are amazing, like in all of EE. Plenty of clubs too. Theres a website about clubs in Kyiv, but I forget what it was. Nichnyj Kyiv or something.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 22:56 Thread Starter
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Thanks!

We're gonna stay at the St. Petersburg hotel somewhere in the centre, close to metrostation "teatralna". I'm not expecting much but I hope that atleast it has hot water so we can shower properly.
We're coming from Belgium, Brussels and we're gonna take a plain to Krakow Poland and from there on we're going with the nighttrain. This is supposedly the cheapest way to get to Kyiv from Brussels with prices around € 400 with the costs for the hotel included.

Can you pay there in Euro's as well, or do you only accept Ukrainian Grivnja?
And do you know these clubs, Maximym and Bymerang?

and I was expecting the girls to be hot, wich is no surprise offcourse

"I took shrooms at a naked beach. Fat people looked like they were made out of melting wax. I thought the homos had lasers for eyes and when they checked me out I'd feel burning on my skin. That's a day I'll never forget, for sure."

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 23:38
GreenLion1963

Im pretty sure you can pay some places in Euros, but theres plenty of currency exchange offices there to exchange money. I don't know about those clubs, all I know is apparently clubs are crazy in Kyiv. Make sure you go to Majdan Nezalezhnosti (sight of the orange revolution), as well as look at Xreschatyk street, & Pecherska Lavra. Oh yea, and if there's like 2/3 of you and you're all speaking Belgian (I donno what they speak in Belgium ) theres a chance someone could try to mug you or sometihng, so either travel in big groups or speak another slavic language.

Its a shame you're going in the winter though, I mean there won't be many short short short skirts or tube tops in the streets of Kyiv. p
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 23:40
World Class Player

Teams: Karpaty & Arsenal
I think Kostja or Tsarevich would be able to help you the most... Since they are the two that visited Kyiv the most and recently...

Other than that I know Bumerang, nice place, hosted a Ruki Vverh (pop group) show last year... Though, the place is in Dublin, not in Kyiv p
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 23:44
GreenLion1963

Kostja lives in Kyiv p

Oh, and other then Tsarevich, Im the one who visited Kyiv most recently
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 23:54
World Class Player

Yeah, but your family gave you horilka before you went there, so what do you know? p
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old December 4th, 2006, 23:59
Premier Player

Teams: Dynamo Kyiv and Southampton
I have never been to Kyiv. Hope this helps.

Dynamo Kyiv are better than Shakhtar Donnetsk!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2006, 08:16
Star Player

Teams: Shakhtar Donetsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks
My class is planning a trip to Kiev in February, It seems very interesting and I want to go too, but then I heard that it gets -20°C This disturbs me the most as I really dislike cold weather, even 0°C is bad enough for me, I can't imagine how it must be at -20.
Last winter there was -33 C at the lowest point, but it is a very rare occasion and you have little chance to suffer the same sort of frost in your several days in Kyiv. :smileani: It is much more likely it'll be around -8...-10 C at the coldest. But you will get used to it no doubt.
Quote:
How is the food over there?
Visit a self-service restaurant 'Puzata Hata' at Podil, on Sagaidachnogo Str. 24, and come and tell us yourself. :thmbup: It looks exactly as Kozak (presently known as GreenLion1963 ) described. :smileani:
Quote:
We're gonna stay at the St. Petersburg hotel somewhere in the centre, close to metrostation "teatralna". I'm not expecting much but I hope that atleast it has hot water so we can shower properly.
Well, from what I know this is a very nice hotel at the very heart of the city. :thmbup: I know quite rich people who stayed there one time after another. :smileani:
Quote:
Can you pay there in Euro's as well, or do you only accept Ukrainian Grivnja?
And do you know these clubs, Maximym and Bymerang?
No, no euros. It is no Istanbul, paying in foreign currency is prohibited by law, so you can get into trouble should you propose euros or dollars at a shop/restaurant etc. (Well I know instances of accepting dollars in Kyiv, but as far as you're a foreigner, you should better not take chances. ) Some places accept Visa and MasterCard, some don't, you should watch it out or ask beforehand. :smileani:

A subway ride costs €0.08, a dinner at Puzata Hata about €4.00-9.00 (depending on your demands), a visit to St. Sophia Cathedral (a must) some €2.50 per person (but there are large discounts for groups). :smileani: I don't know how much is the entrance to Pecherska Lavra (a cave monastery ) unfortunately.

Don't miss a chance to ride a Funikuler! http://www.oko.kiev.ua/img/Kyiv/Podi...--716_~161.jpg It'll take you directly to the beautiful Mykhailivsky Sobor (another nice Cathedral you would wish to see). Certainly you should also never fail to visit Khreschatyk, Maidan Nezalezhnosti, Zoloti Vorota (Golden Gate), Podil (Old City) and its famous street Andriyivsky Uzviz, though unluckily you won't see any of Kyiv botanic gardens and the Zoo. :thmbup: Among the other places of interest I'd recommend the monument to Motherland and the People's Friendship Arch (Arka Druzhby Narodiv) with a breathtaking view on Dnipro and another half of the city). :eekani:

Ah, unfortunately I quit clubbing so the names Maximum and Bumerang don't tell anything to me.

AVISO

MAU HUMOR

CAI FORA
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old December 5th, 2006, 10:38
Premier Player

-20, I have been skiing in Northern Finland. It was -37 on one day.

Puffs...

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 19:54 Thread Starter
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Thanks for the info Kostja, you helped a lot

good to hear that the hotel is nice, because I expected that a 2-star hotel would be horrible p, but either way it looks nice from the outside as I already saw a picture of the hotel.
And I knew about the cheap public transport but €0.08 for a subway ride is extremely cheap

I'll try to get a ride on the Funikuler , and as far as I know we're going to visit Andrejevski Spusk, the Cyrillus church, Zoloti Vorota (the golden gate), Maidan Nezalezhnosti, Kievo-Peterskaja Lavra, the Sofia cathedral, The Petsjerk-Lipki district, the ARTEast galery, Trukhanov Ostrov, Park Slavi.

Outside of Kyiv where going to visit Pirogovo, Babij Jar and Tsernobyl
Can you tell me more about Tsjernobyl, is it safe to visit or not??
Also can you tell me more about Khreschatyk, what is it?

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 19:56 Thread Starter
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotan
I have never been to Kyiv. Hope this helps.
Yes, you helped a lot, thank you very much for your help, you're so helpfull p

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:04
Premier Player

Quote:
Yes, you helped a lot, thank you very much for your help, you're so helpfull p
Thats what I'm here for, oh and as I am typing this

SHATSKIKH!!!!!!!!!!

Get in!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:06
Rising Star

Teams: CSKA Kyiv, UNT
Quote:
Some travel companies run day trips to Chernobyl, providing you with transport, an English-speaking guide, food and stuff. The cost is now quite reasonable although you would need to search on the internet. It used to cost hundreds of dollars but now it's more accessible. You usually have to book a few days at least in advance. People say it's safe, but then again they want your money! I have never been.

Kreshchatyk is the main street of Kyiv where there are tree-lined walkways and shops. This is the main hub of the city where there is a lot of activity and a lot of things to see. It ends at one end with Independence Square and then European Square (not far from Lobanovsky Stadium) and with Bessarabka Market at the other (the name of one of the goals at the central republican stadium, the "Bessarabka vorot"). Have a wander around the market, it is really good although quite intimidating with a lot of people shouting at you to buy things.

You asked further up about nightclubs and hotels - sorry I have never stayed in a hotel in Kyiv and my clubbing days are more or less over!

As for the girls, take a walk around the city and you will some of the prettiest girls on planet earth. Ukraine is blessed with very good-looking people. A word of warning though - most people, including pretty girls, are highly educated so don't expect to pick up some bimbos because you probably won't. That's why most westerners on a short stay end up with prostitutes, something which I find really disgusting. But where there's money, there's a market I suppose.

"You don't play football for the name on the back of your shirt, you play football for the name on the front."
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:19 Thread Starter
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarevich
Some travel companies run day trips to Chernobyl, providing you with transport, an English-speaking guide, food and stuff. The cost is now quite reasonable although you would need to search on the internet. It used to cost hundreds of dollars but now it's more accessible. You usually have to book a few days at least in advance. People say it's safe, but then again they want your money! I have never been.
Nice to hear that it's safe and that there are other tourists that visit the place too, altough it's never without a risk, I'm curious about it. The price shouldn't be a problem it's already included and booked in advance, so no worries there.

Quote:
Kreshchatyk is the main street of Kyiv where there are tree-lined walkways and shops. This is the main hub of the city where there is a lot of activity and a lot of things to see. It ends at one end with Independence Square and then European Square (not far from Lobanovsky Stadium) and with Bessarabka Market at the other (the name of one of the goals at the central republican stadium, the "Bessarabka vorot"). Have a wander around the market, it is really good although quite intimidating with a lot of people shouting at you to buy things.
Well I'm shure we'll visit Krehchatyk too then as it is in the city

Quote:
As for the girls, take a walk around the city and you will some of the prettiest girls on planet earth. Ukraine is blessed with very good-looking people. A word of warning though - most people, including pretty girls, are highly educated so don't expect to pick up some bimbos because you probably won't. That's why most westerners on a short stay end up with prostitutes, something which I find really disgusting. But where there's money, there's a market I suppose.
Yes, I know that Ukrainian girls are hot, actually all slavic girls are hot p
There is a Ukrainian girl in my school and she's really attractive, So I expect nothing less when I go to Kyiv

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:20 Thread Starter
♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣ ♠ ♣
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotan
Thats what I'm here for, oh and as I am typing this

SHATSKIKH!!!!!!!!!!

Get in!

what's a Shatskikh, please explain, O helpfull one

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:27
Premier Player

Quote:
what's a Shatskikh, please explain, O helpfull one
A Shatskikh is a rare animal found in parts of Ukraine and Uzbekistan. It disguises itself as a crap footballer most of the time but has the ability to score very importany goals at very important moments against big teams.

(He has just scored twice against Real Madrid).

P.S. Glad to help, it's what I'm here for.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:43
World Class Player

About Chornobyl: there's still some levels of radiation, but nothing that would be dangerous for ones health... In all fairness, it will take hundreds of years for the area to be radiation-free after such a huge disaster...
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2006, 20:53
Premier Player

Yeah, Chernobyl is pretty safe as long as you don't start eating the plants in the area. I'm not sure which parts you will get to see but the only place at risk from radiation at the moment is inside the concrete sarcoughagous (sp) which covers the reactor (Number 4). Men are currently working on it as it is structurally unsafe, but can only go inside for 10 mins at a time.

Enter this into google earth:

lat=51.23'21.81, lon=30.05'56.09

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2006, 12:59
Star Player

Teams: Shakhtar Donetsk
Quote:
I'll try to get a ride on the Funikuler , and as far as I know we're going to visit Andrejevski Spusk, the Cyrillus church, Zoloti Vorota (the golden gate), Maidan Nezalezhnosti, Kievo-Peterskaja Lavra, the Sofia cathedral, The Petsjerk-Lipki district, the ARTEast galery, Trukhanov Ostrov, Park Slavi.

Outside of Kyiv where going to visit Pirogovo, Babij Jar and Tsernobyl
Well I see you're not going to miss anything interesting, but I recommend that you pay more attention to the Old City (Podil). Say, instead of Trukhanov Ostrov (Trukhanov island), as I don't quite understand what one can watch there in February. I also don't know what is Cyrillus church to be honest. :rollani:

Ah, Pirogovo and Babiy Yar are not outside of the city, though quite far from the centre. :smileani: I find it difficult to answer whether the trip to Chornobyl is reasonable or not, so you should listen to others.
Quote:
Well I'm shure we'll visit Krehchatyk too then as it is in the city
In fact, you will be living 30 m from Bessarabska Sq. which is the end of the street. :smileani:

AVISO

MAU HUMOR

CAI FORA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in