Group B

France
Italy
Ukraine
Scotland
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

Wow what a group! Thats all I have to say... What do you guys think about it? The most difficult group in my opinion along with A and D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2006, 18:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: dinamo kyiv,benfica,and russian sport
10% per cent of chances to Ukraine,Uefa will not allow that Italy and France miss a european cup,it couldnt be worst,also Ukraine could lose points in any away game like Georgia or Lithuania.....
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2006, 19:33
World Class Player

Teams: Karpaty & Arsenal
Im excited... I love being an underdog... There will be no pressure on us to qualify and so we'll play much more relaxed (or at least should - on paper p)

Anyway, looking forward to September, but first its JUNE and GERMANY HERE WE COEM!!!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2006, 20:04
True-Kozak

We'll qualify, along with Italy or France. I think Italy though. Toughest of the groups, no doubt in hell.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old January 27th, 2006, 20:35
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Damn........ :frustrat: :irritate: :thmbdown:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 01:24 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Dynamo Kyiv, UNT, Valencia
What remains to be seen is how many of France's players actually continue to play asfter the World Cup. You know they had to pull Zizu and others out of international retirement just to qualify this year.

So kleber, you think uefa rigs the qualifying campaign? Why didn't they do the same in 98 for Portugal when Ukraine finished second ahead of them?

Kleber, Lithuania took points of Italy and its not that east to travel to Georgia for ANY opponent, not just Ukraine. And Ukraine always draw the georgians, so we have an advantage because we know their style. Although with this German coach u never know

Also to Roman, I think we have decent odds, and this is a chance for Ukraine to establish themselves as a European power (to qualify 4 back-to-back finals). We have to show people that we are here to stay!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 08:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

We didnt qualify for the world cup of 98 because we were robbed in Germany,simple as that......we were winning 1-0 at the middle of the second half and that stupid french ref Batta :frustrat: :thmbdown: has send off Rui Costa in one of the most outrageous decisions in the history of the european football,after that Germany level 1-1 and we finnish third,if we have won that game we would have been in France!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 19:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
It's a tough group, but taking in mind Ukraine's last qualification campaign...

C'mon, it's possible for sure!

Good luck Ukraine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleber
10% per cent of chances to Ukraine,Uefa will not allow that Italy and France miss a european cup,
You've got a point here, also for that reason it's a tough group, just remember the Spain v Slovakia playoff for example a month ago...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old January 28th, 2006, 23:55 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Dynamo Kyiv, UNT, Valencia
Well, Ukraine's records against the teams in the Group is as follows:

We played Italy back in 1996 for the EURO qualifiers, but lost 0:2 and 3:1. What you have to understand is Ukraine was only starting out as a footballing nation then, and any players we had - opted to play for Russia :depress: Now, ten years down the track, the situation has been reversed

Also we are scheduled to play against Italy in a friendly, (in Switzerland) but I guess that might change after the two have been drawn agianst each other.

Against France, Ukraine have had some decent showings, best in the EURO 2000 qualifiers when Ukraine held them both in France and in Kyiv to 0:0 draws. In fact having watched both games, I can safely say Ukraine dominated for periods in the game and definately created some good chances.

The last time we played the Frech was as late as 2004, when a late Zidane strike gave the home side a much deserved win in Paris before the Froggies headed of for EURO 2004.

Ukraine have never played Scotland before. However, fot hose interested in history; the Soviet Union did meet the Scots on three ocassions: a 2:2 draw in 1982 (World Cup), a 0:1 win to the USSR in a Glasgow friendly in 1991. Finally in 1992 Scotland gave one of the last Soviet XI sides to be ever fielded a belting of 3:0 in a game in 1992.

The games against Lithuania will definately be difficult ones, and all teams have to be wary of these Baltic boys. Ukraine played Lithuania three times in 1996 having beaten them twice (5:2 and 0:2) and losing at home once 0:2. Also the two teams played a friendly in one of Ukraine's first international games in 1993 as Lithuania handed us a 0:1 defeat in Vilnius.

All Uke supporters have become used to playing Georgia, and we've drawn them yet again! Having clashed a total of 6 times, the Georgians have never beaten Ukraine, having managed to tie us only twice. Everyone will remember our last outing in Tiblisi as that 1:1 draw was enough for us to go to Germany, but the tie did seem a little unjust having considered all the chances Ukraine managed to create. Ukraine has a 10:2 goals for/goals agianst ratio playing the Georgians. It will be interesting to see what the experience of Klaus Toppmöller can bring to the team which is bound to cause an upset or two during the campaign.

Finally we come to the Faroe Islands, and this will be a first time for the Ukes! The Scandinavian minnows are struggling to make an imact on the international scene and only managed to claim 1 point from 10 games in their 2006 qualifying campaign. (2:2 in Cyprus). In EURO 2004 the Islanders also only managed to pick up 1 point, but did show some decent outings, holding Germany to only a 2:1 away defeat and the highlight was against Scotland as a John Petersen double gave them their only point from a 2:2 draw! We all know about Ukraine's inability to finish of weak teams, but lets home Blokhin's motivation and self belief will lift us to that next level. Can't wait for the trip to Toftir!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2006, 03:39
Star Player

Have faith fellow ukrainians i do. Ukraine will quailfy with italy.

France are bunch of has beens. Had to take thurman and zidane out of retierement to make the world cup.. They are desperate and Ukraine will only continue to rise as power house of soccer
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2006, 04:58
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terak
Have faith fellow ukrainians i do. Ukraine will quailfy with italy.

France are bunch of has beens. Had to take thurman and zidane out of retierement to make the world cup.. They are desperate and Ukraine will only continue to rise as power house of soccer
Thank you!

P.S. Gotta say: Love your siggy!!!!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2006, 17:17
Xtratime Elite

Teams: CSKA, Russia aka EE's Team
Ye aTerak, unfortunatley u forgot Henry, Trez, Gallas, Makalele, etc.

R.I.P Ari
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2006, 03:06
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitriy
Ye aTerak, unfortunatley u forgot Henry, Trez, Gallas, Makalele, etc.
Sheva > henry + trez
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old February 12th, 2006, 17:23
Xtratime Elite

R.I.P Ari
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2006, 20:48
True-Kozak

Apparently, there is 2 variants of Ukraines EURO 2008 QF Schedule. I donno what it says on fanat.com.ua, cos I dont speak Russian , but I think I know what its trying to say. This is the one Ukraine doesn't want

September 3rd : Lithuania - Ukraine
September 6th : Faroe Islands - Ukraine
October 11th : Ukraine - France
March 28th : Ukraine - Scotland
June 3rd : Ukraine - Italy
June 7th : Ukraine - Georgia
September 9th : Georgia - Ukraine
September 12th : Scotland - Ukraine
October 14th : Italy - Ukraine
October 17th : Ukraine - Lithuania
November 18th : France - Ukraine
November 21st : Ukraine - Faroe Islands

And this is the one Ukraine wants

September 3rd : Ukraine - Scotland
September 6th : France - Ukraine
October 8th : Ukraine - Lithuania
October 11th : Ukraine - Georgia
March 28th : Ukraine - Italy
June 3rd : Ukraine - Faroe Islands
June 7th : Scotland - Ukraine
September 9th : Ukraine - France
September 12th : Lithuania - Ukraine
October 14th : Georgia - Ukraine
November 18th : Ukraine - Italy
November 21st : Faroe Islands - Ukraine

To be honest, Im not sure which one I want. On the first one, we open it up with some easier teams, and on the 2nd 1, we open it up with much harder teams... ....It all depends on what type of form the UNT is in, and when.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2006, 21:16
Xtratime Elite

Ukraine could have a good number of points at the end of the day and still not qualify because the rest of the group is poor outside the three main teams. Hopefully for u guys France and Italy drop points but i wouldn't bet on it.

R.I.P Ari
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2006, 21:30
Star Player

Teams: Shakhtar Donetsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by True-Kozak
To be honest, Im not sure which one I want. On the first one, we open it up with some easier teams, and on the 2nd 1, we open it up with much harder teams... ....It all depends on what type of form the UNT is in, and when.
The second one is better cause we take Italy twice at home.

AVISO

MAU HUMOR

CAI FORA
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2006, 21:34
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
The second one is better cause we take Italy twice at home.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2006, 21:35
True-Kozak

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old February 15th, 2006, 01:02
Rising Star

I see Ukraine want to play Italy at home twice. Maybe this is why the fixtures haven't been sorted out yet. Rumour has it that all the other countries have agreed the first dates and Ukraine are the only ones holding up the process. Anybody got a Ukrainian perspective?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in