UEFA Cup 1980-81 - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old November 15th, 2013, 01:42 Thread Starter
Rookie

Teams: Sporting de Gijón
UEFA Cup 1980-81

Hi, guys!.

This is the first time I write to my friends in the Czech Republic.

I live in the northern shore of Spain, and I´m a football fan of Sporting de Gijón. Surely most of you remember the amusing matches that faced Bohemians and Sporting.

I´m trying to get from several sources a row of pictures, videos, press reports, personal data, etc about those matches from 1980-September-17th (Praha) and 1980-October-1st (Gijón). I was only 12 years old then, and now I´m longing for getting some good aid to my rememberings.

I´m sure you will help me. I offer you some pieces from my stuff.

See you later...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1980, Sept 17th (stopper Jiménez against Bohemians at El Molinón).jpg (19.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1980, Sept 17th (argentinian forward Ferrero scores the 1-1 draw).jpg (31.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 11 Sporting-Bohemians (1980, Sept 17th).jpg (25.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Entrada Sporting-Bohemians (2,70 Euro).jpg (22.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by viamo68; November 15th, 2013 at 01:54.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2013, 23:23 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ferrero and Gomes in 1980

Hello, friends in Czech Republic.

I share with you two good images of our biggest star on the grass down in 1980. The Argentinian Ferrero did two goals against Bohemians, one in Prague and another one in Gijón.

The Portuguese Fernando Gomes was the man that Sporting de Gijón missed a lot along those two matches. He was injured then, and although he didn´t got a great success in Gijón, he won the Golden Ball very few years later playing for F.C. Porto.

I´d like a lot to see any picture, video or press report from that round against Bohemians and Sporting de Gijón from 1980. I´m sure that you will help me.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ferrero posando.jpg (55.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Gomes (el gran ausente).jpg (36.1 KB, 71 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old January 5th, 2014, 00:57 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello, kangaroos!.

First of all, have a very happy New Year!.

I´m sending 4 images showing how Bohemians and Sporting de Gijón were on the pitch in 1980.

I hope you´ll enjoy them. And I´d be very glad if you send to me some images from those two matches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bohemians 19800917.jpg (97.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Sporting 19800917.jpg (98.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Bohemians 19801001.jpg (106.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Sporting 19801001.jpg (106.4 KB, 55 views)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2014, 08:35
Rising Star

Teams: Olomouc
Thanks for the pictures

I will take a look around to see if I can find more pictures.

Football in the Czech Republic and Macedonia

http://www.moravianfootball.blogspot.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2014, 14:51 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks a lot, Sigma_Olomouc, for your help.

I share with you a board showing some players of Bohemians. I believe that only Koukal played for your team. He was one of the best players against Sporting.

Could you help me to fulfill the missing data?. I haven´t found the names of the rest of the roster.

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/attach...1&d=1400938931

Soon I´ll send the translation to English of the chronicles from the Spanish press, and some new images.

Best regards.
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2014, 17:47 Thread Starter
Rookie

These were the players of Sporting de Gijón in 1980.

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/attach...1&d=1400949908

Soon I will send the photos of all of them.

Have a nice day.
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 18:22 Thread Starter
Rookie

Čau, hello again.

Here you may see how "El Mundo Deportivo" (The Sportive World), a newspaper from Barcelona, wrote about the first match:

[IMG][/IMG]

19800918MD (translation)

EL MUNDO DEPORTIVO
Thursday, September 18th, 1980

Twelve minutes before the end it was a 1-1 draw.

3-1: Sporting had a lack of strength at the end.

Castro stopped two times a penalty kick from Bohemians.

UEFA´s Cup

Prague. 17. (special service).

Sporting de Gijón has not had too much luck, because only twelve minutes before the end it held an excellent 1-1 that was giving a lot of spirit (mood) for the return match at El Molinón. But in those last twelve minutes till the end the players from Gijón broke down (damaged, ruined) it all. Because on that period Castro –who had stopped two times a penalty kick- took two new goals that became the final 3-1.

It did the hardest part

The match was decided on the 33 rd minute of the second half, because until then, when Bohemians scored its second goal, Sporting was who ruled, as after Ferrero´s goal it became master of the situation in front of a Czech team surrendered and without any idea to bring into trouble Castro´s goal.

Sporting had got over the hardest part till then, after the present (the gift) made by Maceda and the savings in the penalties by Castro. But the lack of international experience of Sporting became clear in the last twelve minutes, giving advantages to Bohemians to put the match on its side, with two goals in which the Spanish defence and goalkeeper could have done something more.

Sporting didn´t play badly. It did the match that was good for it, defending strongly with close marking, although with lack of the required support from the midfielders to Aguilar and Ferrero, who found themselves unassisted, although the Argentinian was a permanent danger for the Czech players, having could score at the edge of the pause (break) on a shoot that Hruška ruined (spoiled) with a great saving.

Bohemians didn´t surprise anyone. It was able to get strength at the right time, urged on (spured on) its public (spectators) after the two-one goal. The truth is that the heat (round), at first glance, is favourable to the Czech ones, because they had in addition the lack of men in this match as important as Panenka, Němec and Chaloupka.

Anyway, Sporting´s goal on away field opens (lights) a ray of hope regarding to the return match on this first round (heat).

Lines up and goals

Bohemians:

Hruška, Roubíček, Jakubec, Prokeš, Ondra, Vybíral, Bičovský, Koukal, Čermák, Levý and Mičinec.

Poštulka (¿mistake from the reporter?) replaced Koukal.

Sporting:

Castro, Redondo, Jiménez, Maceda, Cundi, Joaquín, Ciriaco, Uría, Aguilar, Mesa and Ferrero.

Abel replaced Aguilar after the break (pause).

Referee: The French Di Bernardo. Very bad, home bias (friendly to the home team), he was partial to (favoured) the Czech ones always, blowing up to ten free kicks on the edge (border) of the box (area), and on one of these would come the third goal.

On the ninth minute of the second half he blew a penalty kick on a clear tackle by Jiménez on Levý , and the penalty, kicked by the same on Levý , hit the crossbar and was refused by Castro. He forced to repeat, on the basis that Ciriaco got into the box (the area) before he was allowed to. Bičovský shot the new penalty kick, and Castro saved again. He showed the yellow card to Ciriaco, Maceda, Roubíček, Mičinec, Uría and Redondo.

Goals: 1-0. 13 rd minute. Castro plays with his hand, and deliver the ball to Maceda, who tries to pass and leave it on a tray (make a present, a gift) to Bičovský, who scores over Castro. 1-1. 72 nd minute. Maceda clears a long ball on the right side of the pitch, the ball goes to Ferrero who dribbles a pair of rivals and scores with a strong shoot to the left post on the ground level. 2-1. 78 th minute. Ondra´s advance from his own half, with a very long cross that Levý shoots (fires) from very far, surprising Castro. 3-1. 85 th minute. The referee pulled a free kick out of his sleeve (out thin air, he invented it), that Bičovský kicks and scores through the Castro´s right angle.

Miera, upset (annoyed)

At the end of the match Miera, Sporting´s coach (manager) declared that many benefits (advantages) had been given in defence, “but our counterattack was good and some occasions were created. The referee decided the final score of the match with his partiality, although he did not decide the final score of the heat (round) because Sporting scores many goals at home and I hope it to keep doing it in front of the Czech players”.

[inside the big box (vignette), besides a commentary on the European results and a congratulation aimed to French side St. Etienne, is also written “Gijón missed its big chance in Prague by letting itself be beaten in the last 12 minutes. But anything is lost”].

[inside the small vignette (box) the approaching hands show an advertisement: “Learn to speak English at last. Normal and intensive courses”].
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 18:30 Thread Starter
Rookie

The chronicle from the second match:

[IMG][/IMG]

19801002 MD (translation)

EL MUNDO DEPORTIVO (The sporting world)
Thursday, October 2nd, 1980

The Asturian ones (those from the region of Asturias)
fought without any luck.

2-1: A SHORT VICTORY AGAINST THE CZECH ONES.

Gijón, 1. (From our reporter, ALLONGO).

The final score, favourable to Sporting by 2-1 in front of Bohemians, that was achieved tonight at El Molinón stadium has not been wide enough to let the team from Gijón to advance to the next round in the UEFA´s Cup, because on the match played in Prague last September 17th it lose to a 3-1.

El Molinón was almost full, with an income of about 11 million pesetas (circa 66.000 euros) and a vibrating audience, supporting constantly its team that ended very near to overcome the round as it created clear goal chances wasted just ahead to the goal (goal chances wasted by Ferrero and, above all, by Maceda who was placed as a central forward).

Referee:

The Welshman Mr. Brigdes, who was suitable (acceptable). He showed yellow cards to Prokeš, Jakubec and Ondra in Bohemians, and to Redondo in Sporting.

Lines up:

Bohemians:

Hruška, Jakubec , Prokeš, Koukal, Ondra, Bičovský, Němec, Chaloupka, Levý, Čermák and Roubíček.

Due to an injure, Levý was substituted by Vybíral, and this one was substituted too by Mičinec.

Sporting:

Castro, Redondo, Jiménez, Cundi, Joaquín, Uría, Mesa, Ciriaco, Aguilar, Maceda and Ferrero.

Sporting didn´t make a substitution.

The first half ended with a 1-1 draw. The Czech team opened the score in the 11th minute by its winger Němec who with a fast counterattack surprised the Sporting´s defence. Just before this, Maceda wasted a good chance to score ahead the goal. The red and white equalizing goal arrived in the 17th minute with a cross by Aguilar that Ferrero fired to the net thanks to a magnificent kick. In this first half Sporting´s pressure was clear and there were plenty of chances to score in Hruška´s goal, but the red and white forwards made mistakes. Perhaps, there´s no doubt, a man was missing like the Portuguese Gomes or Abel, both of them injured and casualties of the last minute despite the medical efforts to recover them.

In the second half Sporting went off with a fast rhythm, and was able to reach a second goal in the 11th minute. It was a piercing rush by Joaquín on the right wing; the ball passed by him was lightly deflected (diverted) by Ferrero and central defender Jiménez, very near to the goal line, fired. The red and white team had several new chances to score, but Ferrero and Aguilar failed on their shoots sometimes and another times was the Czech goalkeeper who did huge savings. The clearest chance arrived four minutes before the end, when a run by Cundi on the left wing finished with a cross that Mesa, just in front of the goal, failed.

A sad ending to the red and white one´s effort. They deserved to find the success. But it´s clear that mistakes have to be paid. Those mistakes were committed by the team on the away match in Prague. But above all, the home team suffered several casualties and
had to play without a centre forward.

The Spanish National Team´s coach, José Emilio Santamaría, was present at the stadium and confirmed and the end of the match that Mesa, Cundi and Joaquín were at a great form (playing well) and that he is expecting to call them to the Spanish NT in the next future.

Regarding this match, in Sporting Ferrero´s perform has to be brought out as a permanent danger. And so has Joaquín´s good job (task), like the effort done by all the men. On the Czech side, distinguished men have been the goalkeeper, and above all the young international Koukal.

[under the photograph showing Jiménez: “The central defender in the team from Gijón, the author of the second goal that gave light to the spectator´s hopes”].

[inside the boxes (the vignettes) there are several advertisements talking about the next matches to be played by F.C. Barcelona´s second team and young teams, and also a commercial advertisement (“MEYBA dresses Barça”)].
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 18:44 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ahoj.

I guess if you enjoyed the chronicles from "El Mundo Deportivo".

I would like also to have the following texts translated (only the parts talking about Bohemians and Sporting), to see the Czech point of view.

They were taken from "Rudé Právo". What this name means?.

Thanks in advance.

Does the following text mean that there was a live sending on Televize at 16:55 pm?.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 19:04 Thread Starter
Rookie

Čau.

You may see an image of the 12 players of Sporting who faced Bohemians in 1980.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 19:14 Thread Starter
Rookie

Ahoj.

From the second match, the one played in Gijón, I would like to have translated the following texts from Rudé Právo:

Does the next text mean that there was a resume on TV at 20:40 pm on II.Program?:

Thanks a lot.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 19:37 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello again.

Here I share with you some photos from the matches of 1980.

The match played in Prague:

Mičinec and Mesa on a high ball

Castro saves twice a penalty kick

Cermak and Ciriaco

Koukal and Joaquín

The final goal in Prague: 3-1

The match played in Gijón:

The trainer Miera and the striker Gomes, at the last training; the Portuguese finally couldn´t play

The trainer Pospíchal training in Gijón

Bohemians and Sporting at "El Molinón" stadium

Jiménez scores the last goal: 2-1

A dangerous cross by Cundi at the end of the game
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2014, 19:49 Thread Starter
Rookie

Some data about the players of Sporting de Gijón.

CASTRO. A very secure goalkeeper. Not too spectacular, he played a lot of years and matches. Sadly, he died sunk in a beach after saving two British kids from dying. The Gijón´s major gave a park near the stadium the name of the brothers Castro, as both of them played for the club and were very loved by all people.

REDONDO. Our less important player. He was more defensive than offensive, a serious player.

MACEDA. Elegant, clever, with a big body. He was able to kick long balls and to score with his head. He played a lot for Real Madrid and the Spanish National Team.

JIMÉNEZ. Along more than 10 years, he played almost all our games as a very working central defender, despite his lack of centimetres and kilos.

CUNDI. Offensive, fast, with a very good left foot. He had bad luck with his injuries, having hard to be more known outside the Spanish borders. He was known as “Faculties”.

JOAQUÍN. The more complete player, and my favourite too. He spent many years on the right long line, doing a very physical job. After he was 30 years old, he shined a lot as playmaker, giving a great spectacle, scoring and being, I think, one of the very best players in the Spanish league. He was our Panenka.

MESA. An offensive midfielder. Fast, he used to play on both long lines, but was able to score too. He was called “Seven lungs”.

CIRIACO. A midfielder for everything, specially to work hard. He was good kicking penalties.

URÍA. He played for Real Madrid and the Spanish National Team. He had two good legs, intelligence and strength for pulling forward the game.

AGUILAR. He won the Spanish league with Real Madrid, but was a little too aged in 1980. An skilful winger, able to score.

FERRERO. A world class forward: fast, skilful, fighter, scorer too. The Argentinian was our best player then.

ABEL. A secondary player, a medium scorer nor technician nor fast, but a great fighter.

We, also, missed a lot in 1980 two of our players:

DAVID, the playmaker who was in the Olympic Games (yes, of course, won by the CSSR).

And GOMES, the Portuguese great striker.

Both of them suffered major injuries and missed almost all the 1980-81 season.

Sporting was then recognized in Spain as a team playing good football, modern, fast, based on the counterattack. It was an amusing, likeable club with no enemies, loved by people outside Asturias as a humble group of men able to beat the giants of the Spanish football. Sporting didn´t play a hard or dirty football, and its matches were open, funny, full of goals. The two matches Bohemians-Sporting were that way, I believe.

From our team in 1980, there were players using their pile names (Joaquín, Ciriaco, Abel and David). Other ones used their family names (Castro, Redondo, Maceda, Jiménez, Mesa, Uría, Aguilar, Ferrero and Gomes). And “Cundi” is a nickname, as his pile name was “Secundino”.

In that team there were no great figures. Castro, Redondo, Jiménez, Cundi, Joaquín and David came from the lower own teams of Sporting. Maceda, Mesa, Ciriaco and Abel came from another very small teams and they signed against a very scarce money. Only Uría, Aguilar, Ferrero and Gomes arrived to Gijón from a great team, but they were not very expensive trespassings, as they were too aged players (Uría and Aguilar) or just young promising players (Ferrero and Gomes) when they wore the red and white shirt for the first time.

Most of them were people born in our region, Asturias (Castro, Redondo, Cundi, Joaquín, Uría and David) or in the surroundings (Jiménez, Aguilar and David). Other players were born in other regions of Spain (Maceda in Valencia, Mesa in Andalucía, or Ciriaco in Extremadura). We had also two foreigner players (Argentinian Ferrero and Portuguese Gomes).

Could you share with me a text like this talking about the Czech players?.

Ahoj.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in