Central European League? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 00:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Central European League?

As you maybe noticed I have opened this thread in the Slovakian, Slovenian forum and we have discussed this in the Croatian and Hungarian forum, now I will open it here :smileani:

In the Croatian media there has been plenty of talks about having a sort of league involving some central European countries in a tournament because the clubs in these countries don't go far into Europe. In many interviews with Croatian players playing abroad they have said this is a good idea.

Croatia, Slovenia and Hungary have done it with hockey and its improved all three countries in hockey, especially Slovenia. In basketball Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Slovenia have a regional league, the crowds come for violence though more than basketball but its expected.

Here is the purposed plan:

a 12-16 team tournament, each country send their best 2-3 teams. The Croatian view is mixed, some don't like it, some do because our league is becoming the biggest piece of shit in Europe

I'm sure the quality of the league will be good.

What about you Czechs thought about this? like it or not? Would Czechs be interested in seeing Hajduk Split or Dinamo Zagreb (probably not) I'm sure these are not attractive names but can you see good crowds if the quality is good?

What is the average attendance for Czech league matches? is your league desperate for a fix?

many questions for this complicated league...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 03:01
Premier Player

Teams: Czech Rep Nat, Sparta Praha, Chelsea, Moldavia
Maybe some sort of pre-season tournament or cup and with teams from other stronger countries (Slovenia? Hungary?) would be interesting. But the schedule is already congested with many matches so I dont see how they can fit these games into regular season. I know that attendance at Czech league matches is pretty small and I dont think these teams like Hajduk and Zagreb will make much difference from that point of view.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 05:48
Premier Player

Teams: Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
As you maybe noticed I have opened this thread in the Slovakian, Slovenian forum and we have discussed this in the Croatian and Hungarian forum, now I will open it here :smileani:

In the Croatian media there has been plenty of talks about having a sort of league involving some central European countries in a tournament because the clubs in these countries don't go far into Europe. In many interviews with Croatian players playing abroad they have said this is a good idea.

Croatia, Slovenia and Hungary have done it with hockey and its improved all three countries in hockey, especially Slovenia. In basketball Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Slovenia have a regional league, the crowds come for violence though more than basketball but its expected.

Here is the purposed plan:

a 12-16 team tournament, each country send their best 2-3 teams. The Croatian view is mixed, some don't like it, some do because our league is becoming the biggest piece of shit in Europe

I'm sure the quality of the league will be good.

What about you Czechs thought about this? like it or not? Would Czechs be interested in seeing Hajduk Split or Dinamo Zagreb (probably not) I'm sure these are not attractive names but can you see good crowds if the quality is good?

What is the average attendance for Czech league matches? is your league desperate for a fix?

many questions for this complicated league...
UEFA won't allow it...they will suspend your asses faster than you can say central europe.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 11:08
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: FIORENTINA
I think this idea is almost impossible to make work, there are too many countries and imo there aren't clubs that would bring bigger attendances into the stands of czech stadiums.

And as Matei said, Uefa would never allow it.

"What is a club in any case ?
Not the buildings or the directors,
or the people who are paid to represent it.
It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses,
marketing departments or executive boxes.
It's the noise, the passion,
the feeling of belonging,
the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 12:55
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
why would uefa allow the scandinavian royal league then?

because as far as I see the project, it is a similar model, for the time we have no international compettitions, (0ctober-june )
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 14:11
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Oh wait wait, it wasn't meant as league consisted of teams from those countries? I didn't ready it completely before

the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 14:35
Xtratime Elite

I understand it as more of a cup, or a mixed tourney, with group stage and then play-offs. I think that is how the scandies play it.

the normal league goes on in the meantime. and like this, we don't have this uesless football-less time in spring, where we have no teams left in the euro-cups, but our teams can still practice on international level. and I also think, derbies like ferencváros - sparta are spicey enough and attract many spectators, although I hope ferencváros is not in it

so, from those mentioned countries, these teams would be in it, if it starts now: MTK, Zalaegerszeg, Debrecen; Dinamo Zagreb, Hajduk Split, Varazdin; Zilina, Artmedia, Ruzomberok; Domzale, Primorje, Lendava; Mlada Boleslav, Liberec, Sparta.
now these are 15, we'll need a 16th team, could be the previous year's winner or whatever, or maybe a 4th czech team, they have the best of these leagues after all. I also have to admit, those slovenian teams, well, I don't really know any of them. their only relatively known team, olimpia ljubljana is not evn in league 1.

as for austria, we don't need them. they can go anyway with all their millionaires club owners and buy themselves a spot in the champions league or buy the champions league and call it red bull league

Last edited by szövkap; October 18th, 2006 at 14:43.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 16:11
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I got it now, well, it isn't that bad idea in the end. Even if i fear for example for Slovakian clubs, if they weren't Slovan Bratislava, Trnava and Kosice, noone would visit such matches here in czech, simmilar it could be also with others, Fradi, Ujpest, Dinamo or Hajduk could bring lots of supporters, but the others? I fear of empty stadiums in matches against likes of Varazdin or Primorje.

Even if the stadiums are empty also while playing domestic league already, so it might be worth giving it a chance.

the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 16:24
Xtratime Elite

don't mind about the slovak clubs, I am sure that whenever there is a slovak-magyar derby enough nationalist hooligans from both sides will come to support even Dubnica nad Vahom - Rákospalotai EAC
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 16:48
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Hehe
Even if this isn't the best reason for such competition, and also what about Serbia? They could participate there aswell, in fact Red Star and Partizan are teams I'd like to see most in such case.

the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 16:52
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
Hehe
Even if this isn't the best reason for such competition, and also what about Serbia? They could participate there aswell, in fact Red Star and Partizan are teams I'd like to see most in such case.
watch out. Hajduk Split will call you a orthodox yugo communist for this statement.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 17:02
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap
watch out. Hajduk Split will call you a orthodox yugo communist for this statement.
omg why that? I'm just curious to see them, their football quality etc, i don't care about politics

the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 17:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

HNS want no Serbian teams in this, and Pavel you should know already that Serbian clubs are wayyyy too good for this league

I mean their clubs do win the Champions League every season and they do win every World Cup game 6:0

I know Dinamo Zagreb and Varteks aren't attractive names, but Varteks Varazdin play the best soccer in Croatia maybe, if the games are quality, fans will come, but thats a problem with people in this region, they only want big names
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 18:14
Xtratime Elite

Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split ARE big names, if you ask me. so are Sparta and Slavia Prag, Slovan Bratislava, Trnava, Fradi, MTK, Újpest.

even if it is more of history with those names, but still, everybody knows them. same with Austria and Rapid Bécs btw.

austria, hungary and czechia were the first countries outside britain with a professional league, so it's quite an old history and all those teams are involved since the beginning of time. time to live up those good times again, isn't it.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 18:41
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap
Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split ARE big names, if you ask me. so are Sparta and Slavia Prag, Slovan Bratislava, Trnava, Fradi, MTK, Újpest.
I agree on all of those, though i'm missing there serbian clubs, i really don't see any reason why to leave them out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
thats a problem with people in this region, they only want big names
Same problem is everywhere, also here in Teplice, last year we played Espanyol in Uefa Cup, i expected full house to come (that's 18.500 here), but in the end the attendance was only about 10.000... and before that we missed two years in European competitions.

But I see the problem, for example i guess noone in Hungary, Croatia or else would come to see Mlada Boleslav, even if they are playing the best football of all czech clubs in last few years, it'll be always Sparta that have as the only big name here. And same it is with Varazdin or Artmedia etc.

I just fear matches like Sparta - Slovan, Sparta - Fradi and/or Slovak club - Hungarian club could cause huge problems, violence etc.

the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 18:44 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

not really, Hajduk and Dinamo got good crowds playing teams like Debrecen, Shelbourne, Beveren, Heerenveen and Grasshoppers

the only time I saw a half empty stadium in a European match was when Dinamo played Ekranas, who I bet aren't even professional.

Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia and Slovenia have a regional basketball league, the people go to these games for violence more than basketball as Serbia are the only country in the region who really like basketball. Also, Serbs blame this league on actually decreasing the value of their basketball because the other three aren't as good
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 18:54
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Oh well, basketball isn't football, i'm sure all of countries that would participate in such league love football, at least i guess so.

I remember there was simillar try of Czecho-slovakian handball league that included also one austrian club, i don't follow handball at all, so i don't know if it worked well or not, but again correct me if i'm wrong, but i suppose football is sportn n.1 in each of those countries.

As for the violence, in fact it's always huge problem, no matter if nacionalistic (inside of old Yugoslavia, Hun x SVK, etc), or "just" intern-country like Banik Ostrava vs Sparta Prague fans fights.

the pride in your city."

Sir Bobby Robson
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 18:55
Premier Player

Teams: Czech Rep Nat, Sparta Praha, Chelsea, Moldavia
Add Serbian, Romanian Bulgarian and Polish teams and it would seem like a worthy league
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 19:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

there was also talks about having a 13 country league but talking for most of the Croatian posters, the league I posted above would be the only one Croatian would participate in
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old October 18th, 2006, 19:05
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
I just fear matches like Sparta - Slovan, Sparta - Fradi and/or Slovak club - Hungarian club could cause huge problems, violence etc.
sparta-fradi probably no problem with violence. fradi-slovak clubs more like, but fradi is in div2 atm, so they aren't in it anyway. MTK, Debrecen and Zalaegerszeg don't make problems, Újpest maybe yes.

I also think MTK-Mlada Boleslav would attract more people than a hungarian league matchif that is a serious cup, plus TV money and all that.
in the long term, it can only be benefitial.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in