in CAF or AFC, which one is better for Egypt - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 09:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

in CAF or AFC, which one is better for Egypt

Egypt is transcontinental nation. Most part is in Africa but about 6% is in Asia.

Egypt joined CAF few decades before. But for geographical reasons, they can join AFC.

In recent years, some nations change memberships of continental federations.

What do the most Egyptians think of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 13:44
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
It's safe to say, Egypt will stay in CAF, after all they founded it!

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 14:29
Rising Star

Egypt is an African nation plain and simple and the real problem is with the CAF retarded qualification system that doesn't even attempt to truly pick the best teams in the continent.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 17:56
World Class Player

Teams: Ahly (of Cairo) and Egypt
Egypt will never leave CAF.

- Egypt was one of 4 founding members of CAF.

- The CAF headquarters is in Egypt.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2005, 22:30
Rising Star

I think Egypt will be better off in terms of soccer if they stick with CAF. The reason being is that the competition in Africa will force Egypt to continually seek to improve. I think Egypt would be one of the top teams in Asia and wouldnt have much problems qualifying for the World Cup. However, its much tougher in Africa. Also, from a clubs perspective, there are a lot of good teams in Africa, and even the crappy ones can be good (like last year when all 3 Egyptian teams went out early in CAF competitions, i think 1st round). Id rather see a stronger Egypt, not making the World Cup, than a weaker Egypt, getting embarassed at the World Cup. I admit, the CAF system is tough but how else can you pick out the best 5 teams out of the 40+ countries we have in Africa, in a short amount of time (and also given the resources CAF and most African countries have) ?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 01:28
Premier Player

Teams: Ahly, Spurs, Juve, The Pharaohs
Africa all the way

A H L A W Y - J U V E N T I N O P E R S E M P R E

www.gopharaohs.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 15:58
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarks
I think Egypt will be better off in terms of soccer if they stick with CAF. The reason being is that the competition in Africa will force Egypt to continually seek to improve. I think Egypt would be one of the top teams in Asia and wouldnt have much problems qualifying for the World Cup. However, its much tougher in Africa. Also, from a clubs perspective, there are a lot of good teams in Africa, and even the crappy ones can be good (like last year when all 3 Egyptian teams went out early in CAF competitions, i think 1st round). Id rather see a stronger Egypt, not making the World Cup, than a weaker Egypt, getting embarassed at the World Cup. I admit, the CAF system is tough but how else can you pick out the best 5 teams out of the 40+ countries we have in Africa, in a short amount of time (and also given the resources CAF and most African countries have) ?
Well, a very simple improvement would be to not allow even by lottery to pick the top 5 seeded teams in same groups. That way you don't get the likes of Egypt, Cameroon and CIV in the same group!!! Although, I prefer to see a group phase then a playoff.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 16:57
Rising Star

Actually footballnut, it doesnt work that way. Teams are seeded in advance. Cameroon, having done so much in the last 4 years (World Cup appearance, 2000 & 2002 African Cup winners) were seeded as a 1. Egypt, who had moderate success, were ranked 2. Ivory Coast, who failed to qualify for the last African Cup, were ranked 3 (or maybe even lower). In this case, it was just such unlucky for Egypt!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 18:12
Rising Star

TonyStarks, either I didn't understand you or you didn't understand me. Take your pick

I know seeding is in advance so when you're picking a group by lottery and you get a 2nd team that is in that top 5 tranche you skip and pick another. It's not perfect or anything but simply wont allow top 5 seeds to be in the same qualification group.

Egypt is consistently in the toughest qualification group! what are the odds? lol..egyptians now think conspiracy theory and CAF has something against them :eekani:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2005, 19:21
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
The problem with African qualification is that you have isolated groups. It is as if Africa was divided into 5 qualification zones. A two stage system is better, with the final stage consisting of 2 groups. The top 2 in each group qualify directly and the 3rd from each group playoffs for the last ticket. A single group ala CONMEBOL is even fairer, but it is too long.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2005, 02:04
Rising Star

footballnut: I re-read your post and I dont think I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that if 5 teams were ranked as 1's, those 5 teams wouldnt fall with each other. For example:

Top Seeds: Egypt, Cameroon, Sengal, Ivory Coast, Morocco
Two Seeds: Tunisia, Nigeria, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya
Three Seeds: Algeria, Libya, Mauritania, Guinea, Somalia

Egypt would end up with ONLY one of (Tunisia/Nigeria/South Africa/Ghana/Kenya) and ONLY one of (Algeria/Libya/Mauritania/Guinea/Somalia) but not with (Cameroon/Senegal/Ivory Coast/Morocco). Maybe we're trying to say the same thing, I'm not sure. Just had to give you an example to explain what im saying. :sweeteye:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2005, 15:42
Rising Star

Tonystarks, You're even suggesting a system slightly more sophisticated then I was thinking but very much along the same lines. Going by your example, Top Seeds: Egypt, Cameroon, Sengal, Ivory Coast, Morocco then none of these teams would be picked together in the same group. You thought of more seed tiers to distribute even further which I obviously have no problem with.

Clearly CAF would have a problem implementing as smaller teams are better off under the current systems as it allows stronger team to knock each other out and perhaps leaving them with a better qualification opportunity.

Last edited by footballnut; December 1st, 2005 at 15:49.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old December 1st, 2005, 15:44
Rising Star

edit
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2005, 15:44
Rising Star

I thought the system i mentioned is what CAF uses ? What exactly do they use then ?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old December 2nd, 2005, 17:21
Rising Star

Then perhaps someone can enlighten us both as it's my understanding that CAF simply uses a lottery to pick groups with disregard for any seeding concerns.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2005, 17:03
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballnut
Then perhaps someone can enlighten us both as it's my understanding that CAF simply uses a lottery to pick groups with disregard for any seeding concerns.
Oh no no i highly doubt that. Im pretty sure that the system I mentioned is what CAF uses. The only drawback (something CAF cant control) is the instability of African teams. For example, Ivory Coast were terrible 2 years ago. Look at them now. Same thing with teams like Ghana, Togo, Angola. Then, you have teams like Algeria and Mali, who did extremely well at the African Cup, and ended up losing most of their games in the qualifiers. I know they use the seeding system for the African Cups, so Im sure its the same criteria for the qualifiers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in