post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 03:36 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Al Ahly | F.C. Internazionale | AZ
The BIG one...

Zamalek vs. Al Ahly, on Sunday.

CL Semi-final first leg.

vs.

I'm not exactly in the mood to write a long preview , so this one from fifa.com should do.

African Champions League

Egypt's big two meet in showdown
(FIFA.com) 23 Sep 2005

It has been billed as the biggest game in the history of the African Champions League. This Sunday's semi-final first leg clash between Zamalek and Al Ahly, the clubs who currently top CAF's ranking of African clubs, has attracted massive attention well beyond the teams' hometown of Cairo. Eyes and ears in Africa and the rest of the world will look and listen out as the Egyptian sides take their passionate domestic rivalry to the continental stage.

Egypt's big two in action two years ago. Zamalek striker Hossam Hassan (white) is pressured by Al Ahli defender Ramy Said during their Super Cup match in Cairo late 28 August 2003. Al Ahli won the game 3-1.
(AFP)

Origins
Their struggle for dominance in Africa's largest city is eternal. When the two clubs were founded in the early decades of the previous century, Ahly, which means national, were the team that embodied the rebellion against colonization. It earned them the title of "people's club" and brought huge popular support. Zamalek, meanwhile, were the team of the aristocratic class.

Throughout their history, they have met on 122 occasions with Ahly winning 45, Zamalek triumphing 35 times and the other 42 encounters ending as draws. Yet in African competitions they have clashed only once: in the 1994 CAF Super Cup in South Africa where Zamalek prevailed 1-0.

Zamalek go into the derby as heavy outsiders. Last season was the worst in the club's history. They won just one of their last 12 league matches, finishing sixth in the table and a mammoth 35 points behind runaway champions Ahly.

German coach Theo Bucker was summoned last May in an attempt to turn the tables around but despite guiding Zamalek to a joint-lead of Group B in the African Champions League with two games remaining, he was sacked after only 90 days in charge following a home draw in their first league match.

Zamalek defenders Mohamed Medhat (C) and Waiel El Kabane (L) in an African Champions League Group B match, 07 August 2005.
(AFP)
FETHI BELAID

Records and crisis
The new man in charge, Farouk Gaafar, completed the job of qualifying for the semi-finals but lost the final group match 2-1 to Etoile Sahel of Tunisia to finish second. The match was marred by indiscipline with midfielder Ibrahim Saied and striker Gamal Hamza fined for their outbursts.

"These things happen in football," said assistant coach Gamal Abdel Hameed playing down the incident. "Yes it was a bad timing, but we are all professionals here and we know how to deal with such matters."

Gaafar also remained upbeat: "I cannot say that I'm 100% happy with our standard, but it is quite obvious that we are improving and that is a very positive sign."

Those rosy statements seemed to crumble on Tuesday though after a 5-0 hammering by Haras El Hedood. With Ghanaian midfielder Junior suspended and another dozen players on a yellow card, Zamalek will need to rediscover the form of yesteryear while holding their temper if they are to continue in the championship.

The longest run
Al Ahly, on the other hand, are continuing to re-write the record books. They ended last season unbeaten, winning 24 out of 26 league matches and collecting 74 out of a possible 78 points. Nicknamed The Red Devils, Ahly have been unbeaten over the last 15 months and, in all official competitions, have not lost in 46 games.

Gilberto (L) of Al Ahli club fights for the ball with Algerian player Farid Jahnin of Ettihad Al-Assima club during their African Champions League match in Cairo 22 April 2005. The two teams drew 2-2
(AFP)

Most credit for this phenomenal triumph must go to their Portuguese coach Manuel Jose.
"It is a golden era for our club, but it just makes our job more difficult because staying on top is always harder than getting there," Jose told FIFA.com. "Everyone is now eager to beat us because they want to conquer the champions."

Ahly have won their first 5 matches of the new season, but, two years into his job, Jose continues to show respect for his opponents.

"Zamalek are a big team and it would be insane to underestimate them," he said. "The players feel they've gone a long distance and don't want anything to obstruct their efforts.

"We play a positive brand of football: when we score, we want to score again and again. Our target is always clear, to win."

Because of ongoing work to the city's major stadiums in order to be ready for the African Cup of Nations early next year, the venue for the first leg match is likely to be one of Cairo's smaller grounds. A request from Zamalek to hold the game in the city of Ismailia - 100 km away from Cairo - has been refused so the derby, which usually attracts a capacity of more than 70,000, will be watched live by much fewer fans on Sunday.

http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,...ticleid=109888

ما أخذ بالقوة لا يسترد إلا بالقوة
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZZ View Post
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

now thats three rants lol

i love u bro. yr good people

Juventus were relegated to Serie B along with their reputation.
http://www.inter.it/en/news/46733

Last edited by Nerazzurri4life; September 25th, 2005 at 00:49.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old September 24th, 2005, 11:07
Rising Star

Teams: Ahly S.C., F.C. Internazionale Milano
Where is the Ahly logo?!

1982 1987 2001 2005 2006 2008 2012 2013

The Champions Of Africa
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 00:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I actually posted a pic of our logo and it was fine yesterday, don't know what happened...

edited.

P.S. Forza AHLY

Quote:
lol hossam lol...i think your the coolest bro one of the few ppl i like in this world

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 00:13
Xtratime Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Forza Rossoneri
Forza AHLY

UNFORTUNATELY I CAN NO LONGER BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE FOR TICKETS
I belong to Lucifer
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 05:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

The match will be aired live on british Eurosport at 6:30 cet (5:30 gmt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo
Forza Rossoneri
Forza AHLY
Rosso yes, neri no.

Our kit is almost identical to those of Man Utd and Benfica.

Quote:

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 05:39 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Hassan predicts tight Cairo clash
By Inas Mazhar
BBC Sport, Cairo

One of Africa's most intense rivalries will go up a notch on Sunday when Egyptian sides Zamalek and Ahly meet in the Champions League semi-final.

Such is the history between the sides that not even the only Egyptian to have played for both clubs is prepared to make a prediction.

This is despite the fact that Ahly are currently unbeaten in 44 matches, having last suffered defeat when losing a domestic cup tie against Arab Contractors in June 2004.

"The Ahly-Zamalek derby is always very special for both teams," former Egyptian national team captain Hossam Hassan told BBC Sport.

"Both teams will be looking for victory, so they will both be playing for it."

"Whatever preparations they have undergone or whatever difficult situations any of them are going through, once you are in the pitch it is something different.

"The result is always unpredictable and it's not always the best team that wins."

Hassan, Africa's most capped international, spent nearly 22 years of his career with Ahly and another three with Zamalek.

The latter lost 5-0 in the league on Tuesday, a result which threw the club's Champions League preparations for the first leg into turmoil.

Hassan, who now plays for Masry in Port Said, said he would be one of many thousands of Egyptians watching the match but refused to say which team he wanted to win.

However, the 40-year-old did reveal that he would like to end his career at either of the two Cairo giants.

"I have played for Ahly and for Zamalek and I enjoyed playing for both, but I can't choose where I end my career," he explained.

"It's difficult. At one of the clubs, the fans want me but the management doesn't while at the other, the management wants me but the fans don't."

Hassan will have the thoughts of both sets of fans in mind this weekend, saying that he feels sorry for those who will not be able to watch the match live.

Sunday's tie will be held at the Military Academy, which hosts around 40,000 spectators, since the Cairo Stadium is undergoing refurbishments.

The second leg of the tie will be played on 16 October, while the two-legged Champions League final will conclude in November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ca/4279032.stm

Quote:

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 05:40 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

You can try this link if you can't watch the match on the telly...

http://lc2international.tv/

Quote:

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 11:49
Rising Star

Teams: Al-Ahly(Egypt),Juventus,Valencia,PSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri4life
You can try this link if you can't watch the match on the telly...

http://lc2international.tv/
Thanks N4L

CHAMPIONS OF AFRICA 2006!
FORZA EGYPT

BEST PLAYER IN CAN 2006: AHMED HASSAN
BEST GOAL KEEPER: ESSAM EL HADARY
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 12:12
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Argentina,Jordan Basketball NT,Jordan youth teams
Mansour El-Blewe of Ittihad Jeddah promised Zamalek players of 1,000,000 EGYPTIAN POUND if they won against Ahly

If Zamalek plays against Ahly the way they played against Haras, Mansour can simply keep his check book in his desk

Vamos Argentina!

Last edited by Assassin; September 25th, 2005 at 12:22.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 14:17
totally innocent
Premier Player

Teams: Ittihad
Insiders at the club denied that report Pooh. Anyway, since it's on Eurosport, I'll watch it. Should be a good game (I love derbies ). Can't bring myself to support a team with the name "Ahli" though, neutral is the best I can do.

Obituary

Saudi Arabian football 1957-2006

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 19:17
totally innocent
Premier Player

HT Zamalek 0-2 Ahli.

Very comfortable for Ahli so far.

Obituary

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 20:23
totally innocent
Premier Player

FT Zamalek 1-2 Ahli.

Dissapointing game, quality wise.

Obituary

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old September 25th, 2005, 23:02 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

I'm content with the result. Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJazzey
Dissapointing game, quality wise.
Agreed. Both sides were piss poor tonight. We were the superior team though, created ( and wasted :frustrat: ) more chances.

Anyway, as they say, a win is a win.

Beating our arch rivals for the THIRD consecutive time (4-2, 3-0 and 2-1 in less than a year)

Zamalek's first ever loss on home soil in african competitions.

2 away goals

Had Flavio scored that spot kick we would've sealed our passage to the final, but we'll have to wait.

Quote:

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 01:15
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
The match will be aired live on british Eurosport at 6:30 cet (5:30 gmt)

Rosso yes, neri no.

Our kit is almost identical to those of Man Utd and Benfica.
I see Red&Black here

I belong to Lucifer
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 01:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Nah, that pic you posted looks pretty corny, that "birdie" should be an eagle instead. :fero:

Quote:

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 01:39
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Nah, that pic you posted looks pretty corny, that "birdie" should be an eagle instead. :fero:

Definetly Red&Black

I belong to Lucifer
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 01:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Ok whatever...

Looks more like red&white to me.

Quote:

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 01:45
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Ok whatever...

Looks more like red&white to me.

I belong to Lucifer
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 03:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Ahly take Champions League lead

Egypt's Ahly took a vital step towards the Champions League final when defeating local rivals Zamalek 2-1 in the first leg of their semi-final in Cairo on Sunday.

Emad Moteab and Mohamed Barakat scored two first-half goals to extend Ahly's unbeaten lead to 45 matches in the Egyptian capital's Military Stadium.

Emad dummied inside the box and quickly turned to fire into the far corner of the net, beating the outstretched keeper and going into second place of this year's Champions League scoring charts.

Emad's six goals are only better by Joetex Frimpong of Nigeria's Enyimba, who scored eight times for the former champions but whose team exited the competition after the group stages.

Like Emad, Barakat also struck from close range, finishing into an empty net to double the lead against an out-of-sorts Zamalek.

Despite scoring two crucial away goals, the Egyptian champions should be taking a greater advantage into the second leg.

After substitute Hazem Emam pulled a goal back for Zamalek midway through the second half, Ahly had two golden opportunities to wrap up the scoring.

First, an unmarked Ahmed Hassan Abdelrahman side-footed over the bar when it seemed easier to score.

Directly in front of goal, seven yards out and running onto a neat low pass, Abdelrahman somehow contrived to miss the whole target with the goal at his mercy.

Ahly could have put this astonishing miss behind them when they won a penalty in the last minute.

Yet Angolan Flavio Amado fired his spot-kick straight into the arms of diving Zamalek goalkeeper Mohamed Moncef after the striker himself had been fouled.

Nonethless, Ahly's performance, both more disciplined and fluent than their opponents, suggests they are favourites to reach the final for the first time since winning the competition in 2001.

The second leg takes place on 16 October and whoever goes through will meet either Tunisia's Etoile Sahel or Moroccan side Raja Casablanca in the final.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ca/4281376.stm

Quote:

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old September 26th, 2005, 04:10
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJazzey
Can't bring myself to support a team with the name "Ahli" though
What does Ahly mean?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in