The Bosnian Football Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 19:37 Thread Starter
Rookie

Bosnian Football

I have a question for anyone who knows anything about Bosnian soccer. First off, inis the new unified league just Muslim and Croatian or have Serb teams finally joined in. Also, how many teams from the muslim and croatian communities were allowed to join, and which group has stronger clubs. Are the teams still mono-ethnic or have serbs and croats joined muslim teams and vice versa? Any information anyone could give me would be great. I im interested in knowing the progress of Bosnian soccer since the war. Also does the national team now include Croatians and Serbs or is it still an all-Muslim team? Links to any websites would also be helpful if you know them, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 21:32
Rookie

New Bosnian league consists of 12 clubs from the Federation(Muslim and Croatian part) and 8 from Republic of Srpska(Serbian part)... league will be brought to 16 teams next year(someone pls correct me if i'm wrong)

Cheers !!!
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old August 5th, 2002, 21:35
Rookie

oh yeah, and NT DOES include Serb and Croatian players

Cheers !!!

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2002, 07:17
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
It's difficult for a country with 3 equal nationalities to agree on anything, football is no exeption.

The Pemier Leugue consists of all national groups, there is little mixing of players but that's more of a regional issue, especially in the Serbian part. There are some muslims that play in Croatian clubs, and vice versa, but since the RS teams are new, they mainly employ Serbian players.

The national team has all three groups, it has very little support from Croatian people in BiH, I don't know about Serbs.

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old August 7th, 2002, 21:20
Star Player

hi guys ! congrats to zeljeznicar who defeated lillestrom 1-0 tonight and qualifies for next round !
cheers !
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old August 8th, 2002, 21:31 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Partizan FC
New Bosnian league consists of 12 clubs from the Federation(Muslim and Croatian part) and 8 from Republic of Srpska(Serbian part)... league will be brought to 16 teams next year(someone pls correct me if i'm wrong)

Cheers !!!
I did some reading on this issue and found the split is 14 teams from the federatand 6 teams from republica srpska. I definerly agree the league should be caled down. The country is way too small to support a 20 team top flight. It looks like there are solid efforts to build a viable soccer league in this troubled country.
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old August 9th, 2002, 17:27
Rookie

i WAS wrong, damn it!!!

Anyway, thanx Shah... I would also like to say that PARTIZAN will play Zeljeznicar in CL finals, wait and see

Cheers!!!
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 12:11
Rising Star

When does the new Bosnian league starts?, it's going to be much more competitive this season with serb-bosnian-croat teams in it.
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2002, 13:45
Ero
Xtratime Legend

started last week, Zrinjski won at home, then lost away

Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2002, 03:30
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Wednesday, August 21, 2002
Bosnia 0-2 Yugoslavia: Early goals

SARAJEVO, Aug 21 (Reuters) - First-half goals from defender Mladen Krstajic and Striker Darko Kovacevic earned Yugoslavia a 2-0 win away to Bosnia in a friendly international played under heavy security on Wednesday.
Hundreds of police were deployed in and around the Kosevo Olympic Stadium as organisers had feared ethnic crowd trouble mainly from Bosnian Serbs supporting the Yugoslav team.

But Yugoslavia's fans showed up in small numbers and were sealed off and no incidents were reported with them.

Home fans, however, threw stones and bottles at police outside the stadium after the match but were quickly dispersed.

Yugoslavia went ahead when Krstajic headed in a Mihajlovic free kick in the 34th minute. Kovacevic doubled the score in the 42nd after a defensive blunder left him alone with the ball eight metres from the goal and he blasted it home.

The Yugoslavs, missing several familiar names such as Predrag Mijatovic or Slavisa Jokanovic, dominated from the outset but Kovacevic, Dejan Stankovic and Bosnia-born Savo Milosevic missed several clear chances.

Bosnian coach Blaz Sliskovic also omitted several foreign-based names, like Rayo Vallecano's Elvir Bolic and Galatasaray's Elvir Baljic, to try new players and paid a dear price for it.

Apart from Bayern Munich's utility player Hasan Salihamidzic, who the crowd finally rewarded with applause instead of boos for a tireless display, no other Bosnian player left his mark on the match.

PENALTY APPEAL

The Bosnians had an appeal for a penalty turned down in the eighth minute when Sinisa Mihajlovic pulled lone forward Samir Muratovic's jersey to stop his burst into the box and that was as close as they came to scoring in the first half.

There were 19 substitutions in the second half which resulted in a drop in the pace.

The Yugoslavs' disciplined performance ensured they kept their lead despite Bosnia's late attempts to score at least a consolation goal in front of a disappointingly low home crowd of 13,000 in the 36,000-seat stadium.

'I expected a stronger Bosnian side but with several of their key players missing our victory was never in doubt,' Yugoslavia's coach Dejan Savicevic said.

Sliskovic said: 'Despite the result, which I think is not fair to us, I think we played well.'

Some Sarajevans said before the match that it was organised prematurely and a lot of them appeared to have decided to boycott it.

The game, a warm-up for the European championship qualifiers starting next month, was the first between the teams on the territory of the old Yugoslav federation, from which Bosnia seceded in 1992, sparking three years of war.

They met in the January 2001 Millennium Cup in India.

Bosnia play Romania, Denmark, Norway and Luxembourg in group two of the European qualifiers, starting at home to the Romanians on September 7 or 8.

Yugoslavia are away to Italy in their group nine opener on October 12 or 13 and they also face Finland, Wales and Azerbaijan.

soccernet

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2002, 17:24
Ero
Xtratime Legend

good ol' Carson35, what would we do without you

Rudyard Kipling
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2002, 20:07
Rookie

Could anyone tell me if any (or many) foreign players play in Bosnian football?
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2002, 00:46
Ero
Xtratime Legend

No, there are some from Croatia proper playing for Croatian teams, and Armando Marenzzi plays for Zrinjski, but considers himself a Croat.

Belgian Croat eh? you know we do have a Croatian forum here man, drop on in sometime

Rudyard Kipling
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2002, 15:23
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
Right now the NT is made up of mostly muslims, some hercegovinians. The Serb club players and fans have made ic clear though they are not interested in playing for the team. The Serb players in the league would rather play for Yugoslavia. The fans as well most cheer for Yugoslavia even though they live in Bosnia.
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2002, 13:37
Rookie

ED 123, as far as i know, Slisckovic(NT coach) called 2 Serb players from Leotar for the naxt match with Romania...There's also Miskovic from Partizan...

cheers !!!
post #16 of 143 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2002, 15:35
Legend

Well I did say most dont want to, obviously there is always an exception.
post #17 of 143 (permalink) Old October 7th, 2002, 16:42
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
Norway vs Bosnia

Keepers:
Thomas Myhre, Sunderland
Frode Olsen, Viking

Backs:
Christer Basma, Rosenborg BK
Henning Berg, Blackburn
André Bergdĝlmo, Ajax
Erik Hoftun, Rosenborg BK
Ronny Johnsen, Aston Villa
Claus Lundekvam, Southampton

Midfielders/strikers:
John Arne Riise, Liverpool
Trond Andersen, Wimbledon
Eirik Bakke, Leeds
John Carew, Valencia
Steffen Iversen, Tottenham
Frode Johnsen, Rosenborg BK
Tommy Svindal Larsen, Nürnberg
Ĝyvind Leonhardsen, Aston Villa
Fredrik Winsnes, Hammarby
Ole Gunnar Solskjĉr, Manchester United
Roar Strand, Rosenborg BK

After the Romania match, Norway will also meet Bosnia. We will use the same squad as we have against Romania.

This was our formation and players against Denmark:
4-4-2:

______________Grodċs______________

Basma____Berg____Johnsen__Bergdĝlmo

Leonhardsen__Bakke_Andersen__Riise

_______Solskjĉr____Iversen_______

Already we have some injuries before the Romania match, and some changes as to who is taken out in the squad, so it's a bit early to say who will play against Bosnia, we just have to wait and see how the Romania match turns out.

Bosnia lost their first game in this qualification 0-3 to Romania, but reports say that the team will be stronger this time, with players coming back from injury.
post #18 of 143 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2002, 00:19
Legend

Boy the injury bug strikes Bosnia again!

One of the best Bosnian players, Hamburg midfielder, Barbarez, injured himself again just 2 days ago after coming of a injury that lasted close to 2 months.

He may not play against Norway. 2 seasons ago he led the German league in scoring.

Coming back though will be Balic who plays for Galatasaray. He was out of shape so he didn't play last game but he is back in form now and playing for his club.

Conventry defender, Konjic, is expected to play as well.

Key players for Bosnia: Barbarez, Balic, Salihamidzic, Beslija, Konjic.

One of the players that usually gets called is not getting the call this time, that is Bolic from Rayo Vallecano since he is having problems with the manager.

If Barbarez plays this will likely be the lineup.

Barbarez Balic
(Hamburg) (Galatasaray)

Hota Mujcin Biscevic Salihamidzic
(Dinamo Zagreb) (Bayern Munich)

Bajramovic Konjic Hibic Beslija
(Coventry) (Athletico Madrid) (Genk)

Tolja

Anyways our teams looks quiet abit better now... the goalie is better now for sure and pretty much there are improvements in every area. If Barbarez does play this will be a tight game IMO, if not then NOrway may pull it off.
post #19 of 143 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2002, 00:54
Star Player

Frode Johnsen is injured and has been replaced with Sigurd Rushfeldt. Semb is a dork.
post #20 of 143 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2002, 18:47
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
Some really good technical players there(playing for Bosnia). In the group, I don't expect Bosnia to be any threath, but sooner or later you will almost definetly take points against one of the top three nations, and I would hate for it to be against Norway...beat Denmark instead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in