2018 FIFA World Cup Draw - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 00:58 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Velez, Juve
2018 FIFA World Cup Draw

So, the draw will be taking place in a little more than a month. I believe we have secured the 22nd Pot, but at the end of the day, it's all about luck anyways. Here are the seedings (either Croatia or Italy make it into the 1st Pot depending on Italy result against Portugal tomorrow):

1st Pot

Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England, Wales, Portugal, Spain, Croatia/Italy

2nd Pot

Croatia/Italy, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina

3rd Pot

Poland, Ukraine, Scotland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, N Ireland, Serbia, Greece

4th Pot

Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia

5th Pot

Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova

6th Pot

Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

If somehow we get a 2014 WC-type of draw, it'd probably look something like this:

Romania
BiH
N. Ireland
Faroe Islands
Moldova
Andorra

"Sac is the Great White Bosnian Hope, so go easy on him."

- Firdaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 01:04
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
So, the draw will be taking place in a little more than a month. I believe we have secured the 22nd Pot, but at the end of the day, it's all about luck anyways. Here are the seedings (either Croatia or Italy make it into the 1st Pot depending on Italy result against Portugal tomorrow):

1st Pot

Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England, Wales, Portugal, Spain, Croatia/Italy

2nd Pot

Croatia/Italy, Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina

3rd Pot

Poland, Ukraine, Scotland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, N Ireland, Serbia, Greece

4th Pot

Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia

5th Pot

Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova

6th Pot

Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

If somehow we get a 2014 WC-type of draw, it'd probably look something like this:

Romania
BiH
N. Ireland
Faroe Islands
Moldova
Andorra
These are the confirmed pots?
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 01:43 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

They were in an ESPN article so I believ they are.

- Firdaus

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 01:44
World Class Player

Thanks Sac.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 02:48
Forum Manager
Star Player

Not really a fan of predicting groups, so I'll just narrow it down to who I don't really want from each pot.

Pot 1

Would only want to avoid Germany or Spain there. Belgium, Romania, and Wales are definitely beatable sides, England would be interesting as we've never played them before and the games would make for some great atmospheres, Holland and Portugal are going to be going through transitional periods with their best players ageing and likely gone after the Euros, and Italy now are probably as weak as they've been in decades so not impossible to cope with them either.

Pot 3

Obviously avoid Serbia because of fan trouble, maybe Poland and Ukraine too who are tough. Wouldn't mind playing this Greece or a Sweden without Ibra though. The rest are doable.

Pot 4

Wouldn't want R. Ireland because their playing style doesn't suit us or Turkey who we've played plenty of times in recent years. Don't really mind the others. Faroe Islands would be a dream obviously.

Pots 5/6

Most of the teams there we should really be beating so don't really care who we get. Armenia and Finland can be tricky so if there's anyone to avoid from there it's them. Maybe not Kazakhstan, Georgia, or Azerbaijan as they're long distance travels but it's just one game anyways so that's only a minor issue.

---

Thank goodness we changed coaches when we did and that the results this week went in our favor otherwise we'd be in Pot 3 and potentially looking at a group pitting us with Spain/Germany and France or Italy which would have been a disaster. Hopefully we'll get a good draw, but just by looking at the pots alone we should at least have a decent chance of making the playoffs regardless of who we get so qualifying again isn't too unrealistic.

Still, this isn't all that important right now. More important to focus on the Euro qualifiers which aren't over by any stretch and we still have hopes again to make it thankfully.

R.I.P. Tito Vilanova
(1968-2014)
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 04:17
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Teams: Bosnia_NT
I think England from pot 1 would be great for us, the attention the game would receive would be enormous. Like wise from pot 3, Scotland. We have avenged losses to Izrael, Romania, Mexico, Greece, Iran. Next Scotland!

Pot 4 and below, no preference. Any team is below our standards.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 09:18
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Best case scenario:

Wales/Romania
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Albania
Faroe Islands
Moldova
Irrelevant

Worst case scenario:

Germany/Spain
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Serbia
Turkey
Armenia
Irrelevant

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old June 16th, 2015, 10:05
YBC
Legend

England would be quite bad imho, they are the team with the best record this qualifiers having not lost a single game (or even drawn one).
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2015, 00:59 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

So, we may not end up in Pot 2 after all.

Long story short, the reason we were gonna be in the 2nd Pot was because Poland had a friendly against Greece and no matter the result, they were going to drop in the FIFA Rankings, allowing us to move ahead of them into the 2nd Pot. Well, the referee got injured during the match () and it is not clear if FIFA will count that as an official friendly, so they may stay in the 2nd Pot.

That would be hilarious.

- Firdaus
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2015, 01:07
Premier Player

Teams: Bosnia NT, Man City
Here is my mock draw. I did it using Random Number generator for each pot.

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2015, 01:55
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beno View Post

Very undesirable. As usual, it would fall on us to stop a bad run of results for a team (in this case Serbia). I think it would be in UEFA interests not to pair us with the Serbs.

"Ovaj pristup je možda dovoljan za mađarsku ligu, ali je ovo ipak evropska utakmica".- Thomas Doll (23.7.2015).

"Imam osjećaj da postoje ljudi koji stalno gledaju u sat kad će nestati Bosna i Hercegovina, to traje predugo. A ne znaju da oni imaju satove, a BiH ima vrijeme." - Haris Silajdžić (6.12.2017).
post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old June 17th, 2015, 03:06
World Class Player

Quote:

Where'd you use find that WC simulator?
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 06:14
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

According to football-rankings Austria failed to secure Pot1 due to recent draw vs Bosnia-Hezegovina (while at the same time BIH secured pot 2 with draw with AUT and win vs Izrael):

http://www.football-rankings.info/20...nary-draw.html

Quote:
Austria

Elo Pot: 2
September simulations Pot: 3

Very similar to Slovakia. Won all their competitive games, with the exception of a home draw against Sweden. However, they decided they needed a glamour game vs. Brazil in November 2014. I assume they've paid a hefty appearance bill for Brazil and, of course, lost the game. Without that loss, or without the March 2015 friendly draw vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina they would have been in Pot 1.
Sorted in correct order as per football-rankings.info on 26 June 2015:

Pot 1: Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, England, Wales, Spain, Croatia

Pot 2: Slovakia, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, France, Iceland, Denmark, Bosnia-Herzegovina

Pot 3: Ukraine, Scotland, Poland, Hungary, Sweden, Albania, Northern Ireland, Serbia, Greece

Pot 4: Turkey, Slovenia, Israel, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, Montenegro, Estonia

Pot 5: Cyprus, Latvia, Armenia, Finland, Belarus, FYR Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Moldova

Pot 6: Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Georgia, Malta, San Marino, Andorra

"Ovaj pristup je možda dovoljan za mađarsku ligu, ali je ovo ipak evropska utakmica".- Thomas Doll (23.7.2015).

"Imam osjećaj da postoje ljudi koji stalno gledaju u sat kad će nestati Bosna i Hercegovina, to traje predugo. A ne znaju da oni imaju satove, a BiH ima vrijeme." - Haris Silajdžić (6.12.2017).
post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 06:16
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmeniaNT View Post
Where'd you use find that WC simulator?
I did it myself using a number generator.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 06:33
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Maybe BiH not playing any friendlies prior Izrael in June was a good thing, preventing us from missing out on pot 2 (regardless of result / someone explain)?.

post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 06:39
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHVolim View Post
Maybe BiH not playing any friendlies prior Izrael in June was a good thing, preventing us from missing out on pot 2 (regardless of result / someone explain)?.
yes it probably was.
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 07:13
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Quote:
yes it probably was.
Savez should be congratulated for their incompetence.

post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 07:27
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHVolim View Post
Savez should be congratulated for their incompetence.
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 15:27 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
International

Maybe it was competence on their part, and we were the ignorant ones this whole time?

- Firdaus
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2015, 23:34
Wikipedia Editor
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacHercegovac View Post
Maybe it was competence on their part, and we were the ignorant ones this whole time?
Doubt it, with their track record. Will we get a September friendly?

edit: Never mind. The only free slot for us is in November if we qualify direct or fail to advance to playoffs.

Last edited by BiHVolim; June 28th, 2015 at 02:38.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in