Good reads - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 00:57 Thread Starter
Zmajevici !
International

Teams: FK Novi Pazar
Good reads

Got good books that you want to recommend or that you would like to read, post it here.

I'm planning on reading these soon:

Genocide on the Drina River
Edina Becirevic

In this scholarly yet intensely personal history, author Edina Becirevic explores the widespread ethnic cleansing that occurred in Bosnia and Herzegovina from 1992 through 1995, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by Serbs against Bosnian Muslims that fully meet the criteria for genocide established after World War II by the Genocide Convention of 1948. An in-depth study of the devastating and dehumanizing effects of genocide on individual destinies and the mechanisms of its denial in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Becirevic’s essential history contextualizes the East Bosnian program of atrocities with respect to broader scholarly debates about the nature of genocide.

http://www.yalebooks.com/yupbooks/bo...=9780300192582

Also planning on reading this one:

The Roots of the Religious, Ethnic, and National Identity of the Bosnian-Herzegovinan Muslims.
Denis Basic

This work speaks of the roots of the religious, ethnic, and national identity of the Bosnian-Herzegovinan Muslims. It does not devote much space to the formative period of the development of the Bosniak Muslim nation, which started in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Its primary goal is to examine a plethora of sources, from prehistory to modernity, on which different nationalists have built their national theories, and subsequently to test their validity. That the nation itself might well be a product of biases and manipulation, or in other words, that it might well be a political rather than a historical category, is the critical approach around which this study revolves.

http://search.proquest.com//docview/305013813
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 01:03
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, VFL Bochum, FK Sarajevo, AS Roma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirlija View Post
Got good books that you want to recommend or that you would like to read, post it here.

I'm planning on reading these soon:

Genocide on the Drina River
Edina Becirevic

In this scholarly yet intensely personal history, author Edina Becirevic explores the widespread ethnic cleansing that occurred in Bosnia and Herzegovina from 1992 through 1995, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed by Serbs against Bosnian Muslims that fully meet the criteria for genocide established after World War II by the Genocide Convention of 1948. An in-depth study of the devastating and dehumanizing effects of genocide on individual destinies and the mechanisms of its denial in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Becirevic’s essential history contextualizes the East Bosnian program of atrocities with respect to broader scholarly debates about the nature of genocide.

http://www.yalebooks.com/yupbooks/bo...=9780300192582

Also planning on reading this one:

The Roots of the Religious, Ethnic, and National Identity of the Bosnian-Herzegovinan Muslims.
Denis Basic

This work speaks of the roots of the religious, ethnic, and national identity of the Bosnian-Herzegovinan Muslims. It does not devote much space to the formative period of the development of the Bosniak Muslim nation, which started in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Its primary goal is to examine a plethora of sources, from prehistory to modernity, on which different nationalists have built their national theories, and subsequently to test their validity. That the nation itself might well be a product of biases and manipulation, or in other words, that it might well be a political rather than a historical category, is the critical approach around which this study revolves.

http://search.proquest.com//docview/305013813
Small world, Denis was my folklore instructor for the few months I was in folklore. I knew he had his PHD, but not that he was an author.

Ja sam Bosnjak - dican junak:
Vjeran svetom domu svome,
Vjeran slavi svojih djeda
I narodu Bosanskome!

Njegov ponos na mom srcu
Ko amanet sveti stoji;
Ponos koji nigdje ne da,
da se Bosnjak lava boji!...
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 01:08 Thread Starter
Zmajevici !
International

Think I recommended this book to Suho a while back. Very very good read by our Croatian neighbor. Well worth it.

The Hour of Europe: Western Powers and the Breakup of Yugoslavia
Josip Glaurdic

By looking through the prism of the West's involvement in the breakup of Yugoslavia, this book presents a new examination of the end of the Cold War in Europe. Incorporating declassified documents from the CIA, the administration of George H.W. Bush, and the British Foreign Office; evidence generated by The Hague Tribunal; and more than forty personal interviews with former diplomats and policy makers, Glaurdic exposes how the realist policies of the Western powers failed to prop up Yugoslavia's continuing existence as intended, and instead encouraged the Yugoslav Army and the Serbian regime of Slobodan Milosevic to pursue violent means. The book also sheds light on the dramatic clash of opinions within the Western alliance regarding how to respond to the crisis. Glaurdic traces the origins of this clash in the Western powers' different preferences regarding the roles of Germany, Eastern Europe, and foreign and security policy in the future of European integration. With subtlety and acute insight, "The Hour of Europe" provides a fresh understanding of events that continue to influence the shape of the post-Cold War Balkans and the whole of Europe.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hour-Eur.../dp/030016629X

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 01:09 Thread Starter
Zmajevici !
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majstor Cevapa View Post
Small world, Denis was my folklore instructor for the few months I was in folklore. I knew he had his PHD, but not that he was an author.
He caught my eye a while back but never got around to ordering his dissertation.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 01:53
MI SMO DIVOVI
Star Player

Teams: FK Sarajevo
Speaking of Croatian authors, I recommend anything written by Slavenka Drakulić. I've been meaning to read more of her books. So far, I've read: How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed, Café Europa: Life After Communism, and They Would Never Hurt a Fly (probably my favorite of the three).

Sarajevo će biti, sve drugo će proći!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 01:56
MI SMO DIVOVI
Star Player

Also, I suggest we rename this thread: "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too".

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 01:59
U Mad Buraz?
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FK Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Cool thread. I don't actually read myself, but I've heard it's good for you.

FK Sarajevo

- Bosnian-Herzegovinian (BiH) club with the most Yugoslav championships
- BiH club with the most appearances and longest continuous stay in top flight football
- The most succesful BiH club on the Yugoslav league's all-time table
- The most succesful club on the BiH Premier League's all-time table
- BiH club with the most appearances in international and UEFA competition
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 02:10
MI SMO DIVOVI
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Džoni B. Dobar View Post
Cool thread. I don't actually read myself, but I've heard it's good for you.
Actually, I read that 100% of people that read eventually die one day...how good for you does that sound?

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 02:16 Thread Starter
Zmajevici !
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranac4690 View Post
Also, I suggest we rename this thread: "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too".
Zoolander ! :dielaugh:

sticky this thread
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2014, 23:10
Csíkszentmihályi fan
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Sevilla, Montedio Yamagata, Bosnia-H., Argentina
Fantastic thread

Top initiative by D

I hope to contribute some entries here soon…

'Meditation is not being calm sitting on some remote mountaintop; it is being calm in the middle of New York City.'
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2014, 12:16 Thread Starter
Zmajevici !
International

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914
Christopher Clark

Just finished this excellent portray of how the WWI started, as you all know, we are close to the 100th year anniversary of when Gavril Princip assassinated Franz Ferdinand and ignited the WWI. The most interesting part is the first part of the book because it explains how Serbian nationalists organized this event. The motives for Greater Serbia and rhetoric is identical to the 1990s wars and it seems that this ideology was started from the 14th century and continues until this day.

Highly recommend it, especially the first part. 5/5 stars.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2014, 12:37
YBC
Legend

Safe Area Gorazde
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old April 22nd, 2014, 14:38
U Mad Buraz?
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FK Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Two books that haven't come out yet but are worth looking out for; both of the corresponding dissertations are already up if you can access them.

"Whose Bosnia? Imagination and Nation-Formation in the Modern Balkans" by Edin Hajdarpašić. Serves as a pretty good overview of BiH in the 19th century up to the AH occupation, though he may have extended it since; obviously there's still a whole lot work to do though.

And then eventually a book by Max Bergholz, who is working on a really good local study of - I believe - Kulen Vakuf during WW2. I guess this one will be of interest to al the Krajišnici here - the guy actually lived there for like a year doing research

Fatma Sel Turhan, a Turkish historian, has also just written a book on the uprisings in Bosnia in the late 1820s and early 1830s (Gradaščević, etc.). It's called "The Ottoman Empire and the Bosnian Uprising: Janissaries, Modernisation and Rebellion in the Nineteenth Century," and the English translation just came out in the last month or so - it should be available on Amazon. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but the idea is that she did a lot of research with Ottoman sources in Istanbul.

FK Sarajevo

- Bosnian-Herzegovinian (BiH) club with the most Yugoslav championships
- BiH club with the most appearances and longest continuous stay in top flight football
- The most succesful BiH club on the Yugoslav league's all-time table
- The most succesful club on the BiH Premier League's all-time table
- BiH club with the most appearances in international and UEFA competition

Last edited by Džoni B. Dobar; April 22nd, 2014 at 15:03.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:42
Xtratime Legend

In any other normal country someone like Gradaščević would have a monument in the capital city.

Śuvres complčtes de Fikret Smiljanić
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2014, 08:09
DZG
Rising Star

Teams: Hrvatska, dinamo
Quote:
Speaking of Croatian authors, I recommend anything written by Slavenka Drakulić. I've been meaning to read more of her books. So far, I've read: How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed, Café Europa: Life After Communism, and They Would Never Hurt a Fly (probably my favorite of the three).
:thmbdown:

NEMA PREDAJE!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2014, 08:21
MI SMO DIVOVI
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandzo View Post
:thmbdown:
What did you not like about her books?

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2014, 11:45
DZG
Rising Star

she places equal blame on victim and aggressor (she actually blames Croatia for the Serbian aggression!), she is a communist, a conspiracy theorist also, she talks about lack of freedom of speech as cameras roll. her books are for naive children from mixed marriage families or die-hard communist yugonostalgics.

She deserve to be ignored.

NEMA PREDAJE!

Last edited by mandzo; April 24th, 2014 at 11:52.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2014, 12:17
MI SMO DIVOVI
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandzo View Post
she places equal blame on victim and aggressor (she actually blames Croatia for the Serbian aggression!)
I've read three of her books and have yet to read anything close to that.
Quote:
she is a communist, a conspiracy theorist also, she talks about lack of freedom of speech as cameras roll.
What conspiracy theories are you talking about? What books of hers have you actually read? Also, I wasn't aware that discussing a lack of freedom of speech was a reason to be disliked.
Quote:
her books are for naive children from mixed marriage families or die-hard communist yugonostalgics.
Honestly, comments like this make you sound like the naive one.

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2014, 12:31
YBC
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo View Post
In any other normal country someone like Gradaščević would have a monument in the capital city.
But Bosnia is special, unique on the world for its cirkus features.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2014, 13:14
DZG
Rising Star

Quote:
I've read three of her books and have yet to read anything close to that..
watch her interviews, do a google search.

Quote:
What conspiracy theories are you talking about?
Dogovoreni rat, zapad je kriv za raspad Juge, Hrvatska je kriva za rat itd. itd.

""..."Hrvatska je kriva za rat,hrvati su krivi za rat na balkanu jer nemaju crtu integracije među druge narode,u njihovim glavama je uvijek neka ideja o slobodi,vlastitoj državi,a recite mi molim vas a kad su to hrvati imali državu?" - Slavenka Drakulić 1993 TIME Magazine UK.

Quote:
What books of hers have you actually read?
None of course, it's enough to see the nutcase give interviews to know that she is a nut. How many Serbian books from guys who make muslim bosnians guilty of aggression against Serbs did you read?

Quote:
Also, I wasn't aware that discussing a lack of freedom of speech was a reason to be disliked.
The irony is lost on you I see.

Quote:
Honestly, comments like this make you sound like the naive one
From someone who respects Drakulić, I take that as a compliment

NEMA PREDAJE!

Last edited by mandzo; April 24th, 2014 at 13:23.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in