Bosnians and player eligibility - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:17 Thread Starter
Star Player

Teams: Norn Iron
Bosnians and player eligibility

I am just curious if the Bosnia has experienced a similar situation that the Northern Ireland football team is currently in.

The issue revolves around the Republic of Ireland poaching Northern ireland football players despite the fact that the players themselves have no association with that nation under FIFA's rules.

There have now been 6 reasonably talented players and around 20 others that have defected across to the Republic from Northern ireland, two of them even have caps for the senior side! FIFA is well aware of the practice and IFA where recently over ruled by the sporting arbitration committee allowing the practice to continue.

I am not aware on the whole political system Bosnia but I am aware that it is "divided" in two with the Republic of Sprska on one side and the FBiH on the other. I am curious if residents of Sprska are entitled to Serb passports and also if since your country's independence have there been any players that have tried or been able to defect to play for Serbia (or others) despite being born within the internationally recognised state of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

There is a fear within Northern Ireland that our national team is endangered with the continued poaching of upcomming talent by the Republic of Ireland.

if anyone is interested in the background of my question Player Eligibility – The Myths, The Facts, The Truth | Green & White Army

end football Apartheid in Ireland!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:23
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
They are entitled to Serb passports and there have been players who made the choice to represent Serbia. Some when the NT's came into play, others later on. But at the same time there are also Serbs who chose the Bosnian NT. Some also not born in Bosnia. It comes down to personal choice in the Balkans as a lot of us have ancestors or family in the other republics and people are free to do what they want.

Serbia has one advantage over the rest though, as successors of Yugoslavia, we can claim anyone born within ex-Yugoslavia, while Bosnia for instance can't claim Muslims from Serbia if they do not have a clear connection to Bosnia.

PS Bosnia also has to deal with Croatia and I think more Bosnian Croats play for Croatia, than Bosnian Serbs play for Serbia.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:52
Csíkszentmihályi fan
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Sevilla, Montedio Yamagata, Bosnia-H., Argentina
Krle summarises it excellently, but there is one other thing that I would add: the situation is quite dynamic. Whereas in the 1990s most Bosnian Serbs and Croats played for Serbia and Croatia, the generation coming up through the Bosnian system now are tending to play for BiH regardless of ethnicity.

Ognjen Vranjes is a perfect example: he was born (1989) in Banja Luka which is presently technically the de facto capital of the RS and in past years he would have been expected to play for Serbia, but he is now an integral part of the Bosnian squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ognjen_Vranje%C5%A1

'Meditation is not being calm sitting on some remote mountaintop; it is being calm in the middle of New York City.'

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 15:48 Thread Starter
Star Player

Thanks guys, i guess that means NI is ****ed then if this has been going on in your part of the world for 20ish years now. The other i would ask do you see this sort of event happening 60 years down the line as with Northern Ireland.

As Yugoslavia only split in late 80', early 90's

Currently the defectors are born in Northern Ireland as are both their parents and all their grandparents. Most of the grandparents where born in Northern Ireland after partition with a few exceptions yet FIFA still allows them to play for the south

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 16:10
World Class Player

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Željezničar
I can understand that it's frustrating to see your players leave to play for another country, especially for NTs such as BiH and NI with a limited bunch of players to choose from. But I guess it's better for everyone, having players on the NT who don't really give a crap about your country is not that good either.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:28
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zeljeznicar & Chelsea
Quote:
Originally Posted by BozniaN View Post
I can understand that it's frustrating to see your players leave to play for another country, especially for NTs such as BiH and NI with a limited bunch of players to choose from. But I guess it's better for everyone, having players on the NT who don't really give a crap about your country is not that good either.
this is the key

think of it "those that want to play for NI cannot be poached" others can **** themselves

"I wanted to say we are like seljaks, not seljaks"
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 19:02
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
Yea, who the fuck are they to excercise their freedom of thought and right to self expression.

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 20:03
Star Player

Teams: 1860 München and Bosna i Hercegovina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
Currently the defectors are born in Northern Ireland as are both their parents and all their grandparents. Most of the grandparents where born in Northern Ireland after partition with a few exceptions yet FIFA still allows them to play for the south
This is due to the Good Friday agreement I suppose? If people stopped sending bullets in the mail to players like Niall McGinn you`d might see catholic players prefer to play for their native Northern Ireland and leave Gibsons, O`Kanes, Connors and Wilsons flirting with Eire a thing of the past in the future. As for native bosnians opting to represent a neighbouring country we`ve become so used to it that it hardly causes a stir anymore. When Sliskovic (Mainz) and Vujicevic (Twente) decided to represent Croatia earlier this year it only resulted in a short notice in the newspapers and then they were forgotten the next day. Only sensible thing to do is to focus on what you`ve got - not what you could have had.

Od mora do Save
Od Drine do Une

Last edited by Kulin Ban; May 23rd, 2011 at 20:13.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 21:11 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulin Ban View Post
This is due to the Good Friday agreement I suppose? If people stopped sending bullets in the mail to players like Niall McGinn you`d might see catholic players prefer to play for their native Northern Ireland and leave Gibsons, O`Kanes, Connors and Wilsons flirting with Eire a thing of the past in the future. As for native bosnians opting to represent a neighbouring country we`ve become so used to it that it hardly causes a stir anymore. When Sliskovic (Mainz) and Vujicevic (Twente) decided to represent Croatia earlier this year it only resulted in a short notice in the newspapers and then they were forgotten the next day. Only sensible thing to do is to focus on what you`ve got - not what you could have had.
You make the assumption that those that posted those letters where Northern ireland fans , The letters sent to Lennon where posted in Scotland.

I see your point however still massively annoying. O'Kane and O'Connor ended up switching back to us after the FAI failed to live up to what ever promises they made.

The thing that annoys me post is when the players have come through all levels of our youth system, wasting our money and time on them that could have given to someone more deserving. We can't even afford to repair our stadium never mind pouring thousands of pounds on Darrons training for him then to jump ship when it really mattered.

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 23:01
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
Yea, who the fuck are they to excercise their freedom of thought and right to self expression.
Who here said they can't? All people are saying is that if a player choses to represent someone else we shouldn't give a shit about him. Why would anyone want to force a player to put on a jersey. There's plenty that want to and that's all that matters.

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 23:30
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac View Post
Who here said they can't? All people are saying is that if a player choses to represent someone else we shouldn't give a shit about him. Why would anyone want to force a player to put on a jersey. There's plenty that want to and that's all that matters.
Oh fair enough, I thought you'd chuck a tantrum at their treachery.

My bad.

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2011, 03:08
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

that is so 1990s

we don't need anyone that doesn't want to represent us - it's simple

post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2011, 10:20
Csíkszentmihályi fan
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Sevilla, Montedio Yamagata, Bosnia-H., Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac View Post
that is so 1990s

we don't need anyone that doesn't want to represent us - it's simple
Exactly. Players are welcome to represent whom they want if they have a choice. BiH is an attractive proposition for more than enough quality players from all backgrounds and will be increasingly so in the future

'Meditation is not being calm sitting on some remote mountaintop; it is being calm in the middle of New York City.'
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2011, 15:48
Star Player

Teams: BIH national team, AC Milan, Fenerbahce SK,
Part of the problem is that some youngsters born and raised in Bosnia opt for Serbia or Croatia solely because of ethnicity.
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 02:16
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

thats not a problem thats a choice and if thats what they want a good one for our NT

post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 07:38
Legend

NT eligibility and allegiance can be a complicated matter, especially with regard to the ex-Yu which does its best to make the difficult near impossible

for example, plenty of footballers are children of immigrants who have moved to foreign countries for whatever reason (eg. war, economic opportunity etc.)... i believe it a legitimate choice though for those footballers to play for these countries where they have been born and/or raised (eg. Ibrahimovic, Ozil, Zidane)

alternatively, it is also legitimate to choose to play for the country of your parent's origins (eg. Simunic, Rakitic)

this is an issue worthy of consideration by the BiH FA when you consider how many expat Bosnians are making careers in Europe now and potentially can play for a few NTs (eg. Marin, Subotic, Nikola Saric, Haris Seferovic etc.)

there are players that view their NT allegiance as an opportunity... for example, there are plenty of Brazilians in foreign clubs establishing very good careers... however, they are nowhere near the Selecao and so to progress their careers, they instead choose their adopted country (eg. Cleo for Serbia)

i remember the issues which arose when Cvitanich wanted to play for Croatia because of the opportunity... he didn't term it as a privilege or a dream realised though

BiH has all these issues and more

there are people in BiH that view themselves as undoubtedly Bosnian but also something more... for example, Vedran Corluka (Derventa), Ivan Ljubicic (Banja Luka), Nikica Jelavic (Capljina) etc. are all born in BiH but chose to play for Croatia (undoubtedly, the same with a lot of Serbs of BiH --> Milosevic, Danilovic, Zoran Savic, Koroman etc.)

there are also pressures when it comes to 2 of the 3 constituent peoples playing for BiH instead of Croatia or Serbia... for example, i have heard of Serbs of BiH not having as much freedom from their own to play for BiH with an expectation that they play for Serbia

it may very well also be that Serb and Croat players will be at times targeted... for example, i remember some of the allegations made against Misimovic by BiH fans after the playoffs against Portugal

nothing is simple with us

in the end, i guess it is simply having a tangible connection to the country in question and following your heart... then again, i am deemed a traitor by my Aussie friends in that i support Serbia and not the Socceroos

Capello beamed: "From Savicevic you came to expect these unthinkable plays of brilliance, because from the position he was in most players would have just taken the ball in stride and gone a little further with it, instead he went for this spectacular attempt which has gone down in history and is shown over and over again. It was simply.... Una cosa da Savicevic [the way of Savicevic]."
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 14:45
Zmajevici !
International

Teams: FK Novi Pazar
Miske was targeted because he played for Wolfsburg three days later after Portugal, not because he is a Serb.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 14:46
Zmajevici !
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post

in the end, i guess it is simply having a tangible connection to the country in question and following your heart... then again, i am deemed a traitor by my Aussie friends in that i support Serbia and not the Socceroos
I also consider you a traitor for supporting Serbia when you are actually born in BiH
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 14:47
World Class Player

Teams: Bosnia NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
Dude, the Aussies are all descendants of convicts, you shouldn't really give a damn about them calling you a traitor
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 14:52
Zmajevici !
International

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in