Sarajevo - Zeljeznicar Derby - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2008, 21:26 Thread Starter
International

Sarajevo - Zeljeznicar Derby

Hell this deserves its own thread. (If someone rudely deletes this, at least move my post to BiH CIRCUS 2008/2009 thread).

--------------------------------

So far (as of April 19, 2008), 91 league matches were played. Both clubs won 28 times, while 35 matches ended with a draw, and goal-difference is 115-111 in FK Sarajevo's favour. Since the independence, as a part of Bosnian championship, 28 were games played; Sarajevo won 9 times, Željezničar won 7 times, with 12 draws, and goal-difference 37-31 for FK Sarajevo.

Some records to go with that:

- Most appearances: Slobodan Janjuš - 21 (16 for Željezničar, 5 for Sarajevo)

- Best goalscorers: Asim Ferhatović (Sarajevo), Dželaludin Muharemović (Željezničar) - 6 goals

- Record win: Željezničar - Sarajevo 1:6 (October 10, 1954, first ever league derby)

- Biggest attendance: 55,000 (March 10, 1982, Koševo Stadium)

- Double victory (two wins in a season): Željezničar (1968/1969, 1989/90, 2000/2001); Sarajevo (1955/1956, 1966/1967, 1998/1999, 2006/2007)

- Longest unbeaten run: 11 games (Sarajevo: June 6, 1963 - December 1, 1968; Željezničar: October 15, 2000 - April 5, 2006)

- Longest unbeaten run (home): 17 games (Željezničar: April 3, 1977 - October 26, 1997)

- Longest unbeaten run (away): 6 games (Sarajevo: June 2, 1963 - June 29, 1969; Željezničar: April 28, 2001 - April 21, 2007)

- Longest winning run: 3 games (Željezničar: May 14, 1988 - December 10, 1989; Sarajevo: April 5, 2006 - April 21, 2007)

- Longest winning run (home): 3 games (Željezničar two times: August 23, 1981 - March 18, 1984 & October 10, 1999 - May 11, 2002)

- Longest winning run (away): Two games by both teams on several occasions

- Radmilo Mihajlović is the only player to score a hat-trick.(September 7, 1986, Željezničar won 4-1).

Some Sarajevo - Zeljeznicar games:

Sarajevo 1-1 Zeljeznicar (one of my faves, had everything, plenty of passionate fans, great goals, great saves, controversies, etc. what football should be all about Also Hasagic was the man...)

Sarajevo 3-1 Zeljeznicar (Nice Vladavic goal, ran the length of the pitch afterwards lol, great turnaround from Sarajevo to get past that round)

Sarajevo 0-3 Zeljeznicar (Total OWNAGE in Kosevo Attractive and fast paced game, good goals)

Sarajevo was 1-0 up... and then Zeljeznicar scores two goals, just look at the fans:

First Goal
Second Goal

I think that was when Zeljo won the league?

Horde Zla fans during some derbies:

http://<b>http://www.youtube.com/wat...re=related</b>
http://<b>http://www.youtube.com/wat...re=related</b>

Manijaci in Cup Game

Last edited by bosnianfan000; August 11th, 2008 at 21:44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2008, 21:32 Thread Starter
International

Some pics of Zeljeznicar fans during derby matches:

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2008, 22:28
Star Player

Teams: 1860 München and Bosna i Hercegovina.
Anyone know if the habit of painting rival supporters garages in your own club-colours when your team wins the derby still get practiced between the supporters?

Od mora do Save
Od Drine do Une

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old August 11th, 2008, 22:57
Csíkszentmihályi fan
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Sevilla, Montedio Yamagata, Bosnia-H., Argentina
Sweet!

Spielfuhrer,
I've never heard of that practice before, but it should be made compulsory!

Interesting thread, NB. Some nice information, too. When are this season's derbies scheduled for?

Btw, why are the Zeljo fans posting the flag of East Turkestan at the Sarajevo derby?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Xinjianj_uigur.svg

Or is the club particularly popular amongst Bosnian Muslims, and the crescent/star is simply a general motif?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 01:01
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, VFL Bochum, FK Sarajevo, AS Roma.
I figure they just painted the crescent, and star in their colors, it is one of the most popular clubs in BiH, if not the most popular.

Ja sam Bosnjak - dican junak:
Vjeran svetom domu svome,
Vjeran slavi svojih djeda
I narodu Bosanskome!

Njegov ponos na mom srcu
Ko amanet sveti stoji;
Ponos koji nigdje ne da,
da se Bosnjak lava boji!...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 02:34 Thread Starter
International

BiH Premijer Liga 2008/2009:

11/8/2008: Sarajevo - Zeljeznicar

5/9/2009: Zeljeznicar - Sarajevo (28th league game (30 games in total)... which could be very very important game if Zeljo/Sarajevo are up at top... which is highly likely, let's pray it's an even fight at the top of the table, perhaps 52/52 points for each team (the closer the lead > greater importance > more audience > more money > better transfers > better team next year) so that game will be very important since I'm travelling 5/4/2009 to Bosnia and coming back to the States at 5/11/2009, so then I have time to watch it, it would make my day if Grbavica was full )
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 02:37 Thread Starter
International

Montedia, good question... I think because the club colors are blue, so should the flag be... and then the crescent/star added in because I guess it's more Bosnian Muslim centered.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 06:23
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB-PlavoZuti View Post
Montedia, good question... I think because the club colors are blue, so should the flag be... and then the crescent/star added in because I guess it's more Bosnian Muslim centered.
No, its not. Its actually quite the opposite. Zeljo has historically been a club for all ethnicities. This goes way back to when basically every club in Sarajevo "belonged" to and sprung out of an ethnical group. Even jews had their own club in Sarajevo once upon a time while Zeljo on the other hand was known as the club for everyone, no matter who you were or what you believed in.

The demographic changes in Sarajevo the last 15 years has off course made the current supporterbase in town predominantly made out of bosniaks, but Zeljo is one of few clubs that have supporters all over the country, even outside Bosnia, as their UEFA-campaign in 84/85 made a lot of people from all over former Yugoslavia fall in love with the club.

Od mora do Save
Od Drine do Une
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 06:29
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montedia View Post
Spielfuhrer,
I've never heard of that practice before, but it should be made compulsory!
I`ve been told about this tradition by more than one when I`ve been to Sarajevo but actually had a hard time believing it until Jiri Plisek (former Zeljo-coach) pretty much confirmed the validity in an interview a few years ago.

"People here are much more emotional, and their experiences of victory or defeat in a game are much more profound than is the case in the Czech Republic. This is especially true at times of a Sarajevo derby. There is a tradition here that, if Zeljeznicar wins, all the town's garages are painted blue - the club color, and if the rival team, FC Sarajevo, wins, then the garages are painted red. I even heard about a legend that the same is done with dogs as well, but I haven't seen that yet."

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/60078

Od mora do Save
Od Drine do Une
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old August 12th, 2008, 11:11
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
The biggest difference between Zeljo and Sarajevo has always been that Zeljo was the club of regular people while Sarajevo was the club of the elite. Zeljo always had more fans but Sarajevo was financed by those big "gazde". When they felt like they went to a cevapcinca, had a little chat and decided what player they would bring to the club with their own money. That was in the old juga of course, everything has changed now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in