Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zeljeznicar & Chelsea
Vahid - a legend!

Vahid is performing miracles for PSG

Halilhodzic's PSG force
Wednesday, 17 March 2004
By Matthew Spiro

Vahid Halilhodzic's tough methods are bearing fruit

After several seasons of underachievement, Paris Saint-Germain FC are threatening to return to the big time under Bosnian coach Vahid Halilhodzic.

Unbeaten run
Saturday's 1-0 win at Le Mans UC 72 saw the club extend their unbeaten run to 16 games and they are now within five points of leaders AS Monaco FC. PSG's resurgence is all the more notable for the fact that Halilhodzic was given minimal funds to bring in new players following his arrival at the Parc des Princes in May.

Pauleta has readjusted to life under a new coach

Ronaldinho gone
"Last season PSG finished eleventh and everyone said they should've been higher," Halilhodzic told uefa.com. "But the league table never lies, and you have to realise they finished eleventh with Ronaldinho winning several games on his own. He was then sold and I've only had a small proportion of the fee to invest in new players." Without their Brazilian star PSG struggled at the start of the season, winning just one of their first five matches and finding themselves 17th in the table.

Parisian pressure
Halilhodzic revealed that he was feeling the pressure. "I quickly realised that coaching PSG was not the same as coaching Lille [OSC] or Stade Rennais [FC]," he said. "The pressure's infinitely greater. In Paris certain newspapers publish three of four articles on the club every day and they'll pick you up on the slightest thing."

I've mellowed since my Lille days

Vahid Halilhodzic

Hard taskmaster
Renowned as a taskmaster, the former FC Nantes Atlantique striker believes the main reason for the slow start was that the players needed time to get used to his methods. "I've mellowed since my Lille days, but then I'm getting old," he smiled. "However I still regard hard, serious work as the key to success."

Defensive improvements
"At the start I asked players to make sacrifices - I told [Frédéric] Déhu to play centre-half and not midfield and I moved [Gabriel] Heinze from the centre to left-back. They weren't happy but we went from having the 17th-best defence in the league to the second best."

Pauleta progress
The turnaround has been dramatic. PSG have soared up the table thanks to a new-found team spirit, epitomised by the hard-working displays of their 12-goal striker Pauleta. "I told him I'd rather PSG finish fifth in the league with Pauleta 20th best goalscorer than finish tenth and Pauleta win the golden boot," said the coach. "He understood and now he works as hard as anyone when we haven't got the ball. To create an effective unit that has spirit and solidarity takes time but this PSG side is starting to resemble a Halilhodzic team."

Striking partner
Pauleta has also benefited from the arrival of one of Halilhodzic's few major signings, Danijel Ljuboja, the Serbo-Montenegrin international signed from RC Strasbourg during the transfer window. Ljuboja has had an outstanding start, scoring his fifth goal in seven games at the weekend, and helping to link the midfield and Pauleta. "I'm delighted with the way Danijel has started and I congratulate him for that," said the coach. "But he still has more to offer."

Attractive proposition
Halilhodzic is now hoping to make more quality additions in the summer. "Last summer several players chose not to join us even though we were offering the wages they wanted," he recalled. "During the transfer window some of them called us back to find out if we were still interested. Some even said they'd join for a lower salary than we were offering eight months ago. The club is becoming attractive once again." If PSG seal a place in next season's Champions League they will become more attractive still.

"I wanted to say we are like seljaks, not seljaks"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old March 18th, 2004, 16:43
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
He has proved it over and over.

He is a fantastic manager!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old March 26th, 2004, 11:37
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
He's doing a great job and is proving that even without a world class player like Ronaldinho PSG can perform.

With his help Ljuboja's already gained more confidence and his game is bound to improve even more.

Has Vahid ever expressed the ambition to coach the BiH NT, also how long does he have left on his contract in Paris?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2004, 11:42 Thread Starter
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

As far as i know he's on a 3 year contract therfore 2 years left (i read this in a Bosnian newspaper here in Australia) with no doubt in my mind that it will be extended if they secure this damned champions league place.

In the past he has offered to help the national team in any way he can, by maybe being given the task of scouting for some of our boys around Europe or with advice on team selections and tactic or whatever but he said he would not want to take the NT yet (yet being the key word). Who would blame him anyway? He seems like he has a great career in front of him as a very succesfull coach. A chance to make a name for himself as a acoah to add to his wonderful reputation as a player. And anyway he is agood mates with Sliskovic so maybe he doesnt want to hurt his feelings

Ljuboja has been great (not just good) he came in as a no name and look at him now, he has earned everything that comes his way now. Screw Ronaldinho!

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old March 29th, 2004, 14:39
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Thanks for the info man.

Sliskovic is doing pretty well at the moment but Vahid has sofar turned out to be a great manager and I'm sure your NT could benefit from the experience he's gained and will be gaining these next few years.

I wish him and PSG all the best!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2004, 01:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
He's a great coach indeed, just take a look at what he has done with Lille

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2004, 20:41
Premier Player

Teams: BiH & Croatia NT, Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool
From www.playerhistory.com:

Chelsea or Real Madrid appointing Halilhodzic?

Looks like that the recent happenings in the Champions League and Primera Championship have shaken up the chair of Carlos Quieroz in Real Madrid . On the other side , Roman Abramovic's passion for buying is still not over .

While they are trying to fix their internal problems , one club is quietly beeing reborn again . Paris Saint Germain's reputation has dropped drastically in the past few years . There's a short way from world class club to in-debt chaos . That's the situation that Vahid Halilhodzic found .

Vahid "Vaha" Halilhodzic is a Bosnian expirienced coach . During his great soccer career , he played in Bosnian "FK Velez" and he continiued his career in France where he is still famous for his quality . He led the unfamous Lille from the 2nd division to Champions League , saved weak Rennes from relegation and now he is managing the (in)famous club from Paris . This modest man always tells to the media that the players deserved the praise , not him . Currently,the best rated and most popular coach in all France is traying to get Paris-SG to an European contest .

His good results in the French championship caught the attention of these two clubs . During one of his numerous interwiews , Halilhodzic said: "When I finish my work here , I'm going to the top . I'm interested in the best English , Spanish and Italian clubs" .

Looks like now he has something to hope to . We will keep you informed about this topic , because it's definetly going to be a big thing .
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2004, 20:47
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Bosanac
As far as i know he's on a 3 year contract therfore 2 years left (i read this in a Bosnian newspaper here in Australia) with no doubt in my mind that it will be extended if they secure this damned champions league place.

In the past he has offered to help the national team in any way he can, by maybe being given the task of scouting for some of our boys around Europe or with advice on team selections and tactic or whatever but he said he would not want to take the NT yet (yet being the key word). Who would blame him anyway? He seems like he has a great career in front of him as a very succesfull coach. A chance to make a name for himself as a acoah to add to his wonderful reputation as a player. And anyway he is agood mates with Sliskovic so maybe he doesnt want to hurt his feelings

Ljuboja has been great (not just good) he came in as a no name and look at him now, he has earned everything that comes his way now. Screw Ronaldinho!
He signed a 4-year contract with PSG. When asked why he did not coach the NT by now, he said, "I am willing to help the NT in any way possible. NT coaches usually take the job when they cannot find a good club to coach. My time will come."
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old April 23rd, 2004, 13:15 Thread Starter
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

woow imagine that: Vaha the man in charge at my beloved Chelsea... hmmmm not a bad thought

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2004, 23:18
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
Congrats to Vaha, PSG won the French Cup today!

And finished 2nd in the league!

Not bad at all in a French league that has greatly improved, and has about 5-6 very respectable clubs.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2004, 04:29 Thread Starter
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

I don't want to take away anything away from the PSG players as they have done absolutely great this year but this man is a true genius. The kind of restructuring that went on in this club over the last summer break, PSG would have been happy to finish in the top 10 but to come out with the French Cup, finish second in the league thus directly qualifying for Champions League group stage is just briliant.
I am really happy for the overll French domestic football, things are really looking up and the league is regaining it's respectable status.

You French better start loving the Bosnians

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2004, 04:39
©
International

Yeah the guy is a legend. One of the best coaches going around and has done wonders at Lille and now PSG.

Anybody at chelsea will have it tough because they have to deal with Abramovich and the freedom simply isn't there.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2004, 05:14 Thread Starter
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Being a Chelsea supporter i am giong to be honest and say that i want Rannieri to stay, he has oiled this huge team pretty good and only great things can happen next season. But as they say, players and coaches come and go but the club stays forever so whatever they decide as the best option for the club i am with them.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2004, 05:29
©
International

Yeah Ranieri has done nothing wrong at all. I mean Arsenal didn't lose a game. Pretty hard to win the league against a team like that.

I have a feeling he will go even if he doesn't deserve that treatment. The guy is all class.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2004, 02:06
©
International

Well Bosanac, what do you think of the new coach?

I saw an interview with him last night and he sounds like a tosser. No doubt a great coach, but saying some crap how he is European champion and that he is special bla bla bla..
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2004, 03:39 Thread Starter
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yeah his 'modesty' does worry me a little bit.
Like you said i believe in his ability but we need to minimise the cockiness. I guess only time will tell but he has already made a mistake in loaning Veron out to Inter. He should have done everything in his power to make sure he sells that guy for good even for just a million. He really shit me as you might have guessed.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old June 25th, 2004, 11:59
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
He has done a great Job !!! PSG is back !!!
I remember when he camed he wanted Lorik Cana and some other yungsters to go on loan in some other French club, but afterall he took Cana in some friendly games in Portugal, and he decided to keep him....
Cana now plays in startin lineup, and he is yung, talented and under this coach we can see more from him.

Last edited by Albion; July 24th, 2004 at 12:24.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old July 24th, 2004, 08:52
Premier Player

He recently said that his next destination is Real Madrid (after his contract expires with PSG, which runs until 2008). He rejected Manchester United before signing for PSG. Yes, you heard right, rejected Man United.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2004, 02:25 Thread Starter
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ofcourse he did, ManU(re) stinks!!!!

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2004, 20:41
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac
Ofcourse he did, ManU(re) stinks!!!!
?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in