OT: First Bosnian Drafted in NBA - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2003, 17:07 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
OT: First Bosnian Drafted in NBA

I thought this was important to bring up even though it has nothing to do with Bosnian football.

Football is pretty much into its off-season now so just another topic to keep interest.

Anyways... in the 2nd round of the NBA Draft, Selection number 54 by the Portland TrailBlazers was Nedzad Sinanovic. First ever Bosnian to be drafted.

He isn't expected to play for Portland next season, he will go back to Europe. The scout expects him to play for the Blazers in a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2003, 17:08 Thread Starter
Legend

Scouting Report

Nedzad Sinanovic

Born in 83'

Learn more about the Blazers second round draft pick Nedzad Sinanovic from Blazers International Scout Chico Averbuck.

Name: Nedzad Sinanovic
Height: 7-3
Weight: 225
Position: Center
Home: Zenica Celik (Bosnia-Herzegovina)

What Averbuck had to say about Nedzad's skills:

He's an athletic player with long arms who runs well
He is probably 3-4 years away from playing in the NBA
He will play in Europe and hopefully develop into a great NBA player
He wants to learn as much as he can about the game
Has put on 10-12 pounds of muscle in a weight and conditioning program in the last two months
Needs to add more muscle and bulk. According to physicans he can safely put on as much as 35 pounds.
Played ˝ the year for the Citluk (Bosnia) second traveling team this past year
Played the other half of the past year for Malaga's (Spain) second traveling team
His body shape compares to Shawn Bradley's, but he has bigger shoulders
He is strictly a center
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2003, 01:29
Premier Player

Teams: BiH & Croatia NT, Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool
Good to hear this. I also think that Delibasic brothers will be in the NBA very soon.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2003, 14:47
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
A player from Mostarhas also been drafted, 6-7 point guard Zoran Planinic was picked bythe Nets in the first round.

That's the second Mostarac drafted (Sesar was the first a couple of years back, he is yet to sign on though)

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2003, 20:25 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
A player from Mostarhas also been drafted, 6-7 point guard Zoran Planinic was picked bythe Nets in the first round.

That's the second Mostarac drafted (Sesar was the first a couple of years back, he is yet to sign on though)
He must have already decided to play for Serbia or Croatia, because there was no other Bosnian in the Draft.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2003, 01:57
Ero
Xtratime Legend

well they are both from BiH, born and raised in Mostar, but both play for Croatia.

Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2003, 17:09 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
well they are both from BiH, born and raised in Mostar, but both play for Croatia.
ok I thought so...and why not play for BIH ?

I understand that the team hasn't been doing well but I just think you play for your country.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 02:46
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ED123
ok I thought so...and why not play for BIH ?

I understand that the team hasn't been doing well but I just think you play for your country.
ED, come on man...lets not get into this, I am from BiH but I'm also Croatian. Most BiH Croats feel Croatian first and foremost...

Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 02:53 Thread Starter
Legend

I understand, it just gets very tiring. Its not a Croat/Bosnian thing or anything like that.

Its just my belief that no matter what religion, colour or whatever, you should play or give the first chance to the country you were born in, if somehow it doesn't work out then sure.

For example I'm not even sure about Nedzad. I see many Bosnians going to play for Slovenia, sometimes Croatia.

The bothersome thing is that these players were born in Bosnia, not only that though, in many cases they were also developed and got their training in Bosnia, played junior basketball in Bosnia, played for a Bosnian club when they were older and then they sign on to represent another country in the end.

So all I am saying is I dont have respect for that in general.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 06:51
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
ED, come on man...lets not get into this, I am from BiH but I'm also Croatian. Most BiH Croats feel Croatian first and foremost...
Ero, you are sadly mistaken. You are Croatian if you were in Croatia. You like it or not, you are Herzegovinian & Catholic.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 08:09
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Bungi
Ero, you are sadly mistaken. You are Croatian if you were in Croatia. You like it or not, you are Herzegovinian & Catholic.
Like it or not, you seem drastically misinformed and frankly racist. BiH is a multi-ethnic state with 3 constitutive peoples, Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks. They are all recognised as seperate peoples with a distinct culture, history and customs, not to mention language, beliefs, religions etc. Stating otherwise is equall to impeding the rights and self-detirmination of these peoples and therefore forcing them to be something they're not. Thus it is a racist, hateful and completely undemocratic notion to call them "Bosnian Catholics" for example. They are recognised by the entire world as seperate peoples with rights to language, national simbols etc. The whole world, except in the minds of "bosnian" extremists who cannot face reality. Face reality, we are Croatian, the people of Rep. Srpska re serbs, you can call yourself whatever you like, nobody is trying to impede your right to do so. Don't impede ours!

The reasons I consider myself Croatian is because that is my culture, my history, language and homeland. I do not even know the anthem of BiH (if there is one), I don't speak "bosnian" nor have I ever heard of that languge before 1992 and I don't care for the theft of the Turkish language and calling it my own. Other Croats feel the same, at least those who I've met.

Croatia is my homeland, I was born in Mostar which is in Western Hercegovina which is today a part of the country of BiH. I respect BiH as my country of birth and would obey the laws, respect the flag etc. but I will never call it my "domovina". Croats have a thousand year year history in BiH and our first King Tomislav was crowned in Duvno in 925AD. I will not even go into the other history of Bosnia and Hercegovina, because history can be distorted to fit anyone's pre-conceived ideals. It is sufficent to say that at least my City of Mostar was part of many Croatian states, was once the seat of Croatian kings as was a part of Croatian territories like the Banovina Hrvatska in 1936 for eg.

We have a right to express national pride, self detirmination, practice our religion and speak our languge without people like you DJ trying your darndest to take away our 1000 year history, culture, customs, language and the land in BiH Croats have called home.

We will not turn into "Bosnians" overnight, nor will we conform to to racist plans such as the one you're advocating.

Accept it, live in reality. That is also true of th Serbs in BiH, they're not simply "Orthodox Bosnians" as some would have it...

Give it up...live in the real world.

Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by Ero; July 7th, 2003 at 08:14.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 08:17
International

Teams: Hrvatska, HNK Rijeka
nah, i gotta vouch for Ero on this and throw in my 2 cents...

even though its a little different situation. My parents were both born in "Yugoslavia", but both were born in a region (Istra and the surroundings) where Italians owned the land at the time. So by right, my parents can consider themselves to a certain extent. cause they were born under an Italian regime. I have my fathers cousin who was born around the same year as my dad, who was born in Labin and eventually moved to Udine, Italy and he's gets annoyed if you refer to him as a Croat and not a Italian. My mother on the other hand, while not nationalistic at all, can tell a person in a second she's 100% Croatian.

My point is, I guess in certain areas, especially in the balkans....you have situations like this: old skool Istriani in Istra, Bosnians in Croatia-Bosnia

In conclusion lol it's all what you feel inside....since both my parents were born under Italian regime, i could claim to be Italian myself, but I never felt as though I was Italian....I don't look it, act it, or try to be like it......i'm Croatian from head to toe
so all in all, with Ero situation, its what he feels....

Još Hrvatska ni propala dok mi živimo,
visoko se bude stala kad ju zbudimo.
Ak je dugo tvrdo spala, jača hoće bit,
ak je sada u snu mala, će se prostranit.

#weare
#youmostlikelyarenot

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 08:24
International

Teams: Hrvatska, HNK Rijeka
Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
Like it or not, you seem drastically misinformed and frankly racist. BiH is a multi-ethnic state with 3 constitutive peoples, Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks. They are all recognised as seperate peoples with a distinct culture, history and customs, not to mention language, beliefs, religions etc. Stating otherwise is equall to impeding the rights and self-detirmination of these peoples and therefore forcing them to be something they're not. Thus it is a racist, hateful and completely undemocratic notion to call them "Bosnian Catholics" for example. They are recognised by the entire world as seperate peoples with rights to language, national simbols etc. The whole world, except in the minds of "bosnian" extremists who cannot face reality. Face reality, we are Croatian, the people of Rep. Srpska re serbs, you can call yourself whatever you like, nobody is trying to impede your right to do so. Don't impede ours!

The reasons I consider myself Croatian is because that is my culture, my history, language and homeland. I do not even know the anthem of BiH (if there is one), I don't speak "bosnian" nor have I ever heard of that languge before 1992 and I don't care for the theft of the Turkish language and calling it my own. Other Croats feel the same, at least those who I've met.

Croatia is my homeland, I was born in Mostar which is in Western Hercegovina which is today a part of the country of BiH. I respect BiH as my country of birth and would obey the laws, respect the flag etc. but I will never call it my "domovina". Croats have a thousand year year history in BiH and our first King Tomislav was crowned in Duvno in 925AD. I will not even go into the other history of Bosnia and Hercegovina, because history can be distorted to fit anyone's pre-conceived ideals. It is sufficent to say that at least my City of Mostar was part of many Croatian states, was once the seat of Croatian kings as was a part of Croatian territories like the Banovina Hrvatska in 1936 for eg.

We have a right to express national pride, self detirmination, practice our religion and speak our languge without people like you DJ trying your darndest to take away our 1000 year history, culture, customs, language and the land in BiH Croats have called home.

We will not turn into "Bosnians" overnight, nor will we conform to to racist plans such as the one you're advocating.

Accept it, live in reality. That is also true of th Serbs in BiH, they're not simply "Orthodox Bosnians" as some would have it...

Give it up...live in the real world.
just when I finished my post, you post this monster lol

amen though

Još Hrvatska ni propala dok mi živimo,
visoko se bude stala kad ju zbudimo.
Ak je dugo tvrdo spala, jača hoće bit,
ak je sada u snu mala, će se prostranit.

#weare
#youmostlikelyarenot

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 08:24
Ero
Xtratime Legend

R&W,

exactly, these people feel Croatian, their names are Croatian, their history, language, cutoms etc. are all Croatian, therefore calling them any other name constitues a serious breach of fundamental human rights that we are assured by all international organisations.

Denying someone these is a gross violation and should not be tolerated by anyone. We are not a national minority like Italians in Croatia, we are an equal people in OUR country, BiH. It's OURS as much as it is the Bosnian Muslims or Serbs, people should acept this in order for thir country to proceed with life...

Rudyard Kipling
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 19:25
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
[B]Like it or not, you seem drastically misinformed and frankly racist. BiH is a multi-ethnic state with 3 constitutive peoples, Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks.
Croats, Serbs and Bosniaks....that is bunch of bull$hit. I am not a Bosniak. As you said we cannot become something else over night; I was always a Bosnian and Muslim and I love all people of BiH who truly love BiH as their homeland. You wanna have your cake and eat it too.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2003, 20:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
I truly advice you to stop this thing right now.

This topic is V. the rules of XT and is nothing but politics ...

I am really sorry but I have to close this one. Politics are not allowed at XT.

Ero and DJ Bungi, and the rest, please, for the sake of the BiH forum here do not start such discussions again. Thanks.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in