What needs to happen to maybe get top 2 spots ? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 05:12 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
What needs to happen to maybe get top 2 spots ?

I've been thinking about what needs to happen for Bosnia to get in to the top 2 and its gonna be very difficult, plus we need Romania's help.

We need your help (Romania) because Romania plays Norway and Denmark in crucial games to come and so do we. We exclude every top 4 teams games against Luxembourg because everyone should get the points against them.

So the standings with those points against Luxembourg:

Den 13
Nor 13
Rom 12
Bos 9

Romania needs to at least tie both games for us, winning both would obviously be better.
If you guys tied both games against them, we would have to win the 2 games against Norway and Denmark.

If you won both, then we would have to get a win and a draw and have better goal differential, thats where the Luxembourg game is important.

Basically if we really get a lot of help from Romania and we get a lot of goals against Luxembourg, a win and draw will be enough.
Otherwise, we will have to win both games. GOod thing is they are both at home.

If NOrway or Denmark are to win, we are out.

Last edited by Manijak; June 8th, 2003 at 16:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 09:29
Rising Star

Teams: BiH NT,Croatia NT,FK Zeljeznicar
Damn, that's too much calculations ! If we want to go to Portugal, we need to win our next 3 games.I'm not saying it will be easy, but if we can defeat Denmark in Copenhagen, we surely can do the same thing is Sarajevo.Same goes for Norway.
So can someone tell me when do we play our next game ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 16:06 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ProVista
Damn, that's too much calculations ! If we want to go to Portugal, we need to win our next 3 games.I'm not saying it will be easy, but if we can defeat Denmark in Copenhagen, we surely can do the same thing is Sarajevo.Same goes for Norway.
So can someone tell me when do we play our next game ?
September 6th is the next game for us against Norway.

We have to pay close attention what happens in the other games as well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 16:20
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
man, I hate calculation time in qualifiers. It's that time, after a few bad results, where you begin calculating the possible outcomes and the mathematical chances of qualifying.

BiH are underacheivers in qualifiers, and they have been since 1994. The talent that's on offer now should be enough for a second spot, instead BiH always end up 4th much to my disbelief.

If results go the right way, maybe a 2nd place finish isn't all that bad, but I don't think they'll pull it off.

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 16:34 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
man, I hate calculation time in qualifiers. It's that time, after a few bad results, where you begin calculating the possible outcomes and the mathematical chances of qualifying.

BiH are underacheivers in qualifiers, and they have been since 1994. The talent that's on offer now should be enough for a second spot, instead BiH always end up 4th much to my disbelief.

If results go the right way, maybe a 2nd place finish isn't all that bad, but I don't think they'll pull it off.
I agree very much.

Let's remember though that Bosnia-Hercegovina is a new country, it takes awhile to get the structure of the soccer league going etc. So I'm not surprised what happened in 94 till even lets say 2000.

The quailifying for the World Cup in 2002 was dissapointing and this one is as well because now there should be no excuses.

But look at this group, it seems Bosnia gets no help.

One very very good team is not going to make it, rather Romania, Norway or Denmark.
Or possibly 2 very good ones if Bosnia can upset.

So we are getting better but we do need help getting in to a better group.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 17:41
Ero
Xtratime Legend

BiH did have a lot of obstacles that Croatia didn't have. But then Croatia came out of the gate firing in 94 and finished top of a group with Italy trailing behind (the same Italy that featured in the WC final that year)

But if the BiH team managed to grab second or qualify once, the road would be easier as they would be the no. 3 or no.2 strength team at the draw.

This was, you have a "nositelj" (France, England, Portugal, Italy etc.) and a second string team, then a third string and then finally BiH. The draw is not going to be pretty...

Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2003, 18:23 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
BiH did have a lot of obstacles that Croatia didn't have. But then Croatia came out of the gate firing in 94 and finished top of a group with Italy trailing behind (the same Italy that featured in the WC final that year)

But if the BiH team managed to grab second or qualify once, the road would be easier as they would be the no. 3 or no.2 strength team at the draw.

This was, you have a "nositelj" (France, England, Portugal, Italy etc.) and a second string team, then a third string and then finally BiH. The draw is not going to be pretty...
yep you are completley right.

Just being in the 3rd pot helps out a great deal. For example then you should be able to beat the 4th/5th pot teams and you get right there 12 points. An alright results against a top team, or a pot 2 team and you are likley in.

How are the pots decided ?

Is it simply based on the FIFA Rankings one month prior to the draw ? So the 1st ten for UEFA are in pot 1, second 10 are pot 2 ? etc ?

If thats the case, I was just checking now and Estonia right now are in the 3rd pot, they have had such a great year and are doing really well, so if they stay there they have greatly helped themselve out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2003, 02:19
Ero
Xtratime Legend

It's based on UEFA co-efficients. The place you came last qualifying round, the last 10 results, the place you finished in the last tournament (WC or EC)

I think that FIFA rankings have little to do with it.

Rudyard Kipling
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2003, 02:20
Sheperdesque
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zeljeznicar & Chelsea
ED123 i admire your enthusiasm but it is pretty safe to say that your calculations are a bit too much to hope for. Let's just say we hope to win all 3 games and see what happens then...

to say that the BiH national team are underachievers is an understatement they are 'major underachievers'

they never do themselves any justice!!!!

"I wanted to say we are like seljaks, not seljaks"
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in