BiH Premier Liga format? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:00 Thread Starter
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
BiH Premier Liga format?

What do you think is the best format for the BiH Premier League? How many teams and which model of play?

I would like to see the Scottish model implemented.

12 teams (5 will have to be relegated this season to do this)

Home and away once then a champions league (liga za prvaka) and a relegation league of 6 teams should be played where the bottom 6 play each other twice, and the top 6 do likewise to decide the champion and the relegated team.

Others suggest a 10 team league, or even an 8 team league but that's just not enough because we'd have 2 games at home and then 2 away with every opponent all season.

What do you think fits best?

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2003, 21:20
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
Yeah 12 is a good number and I like the format.

Its important for the top division to be competetive, you can have as many teams as you want in the bottom divisions but the top division has to be very competetive and that means every team has to be good.

The Scots have 12, but they have 2-4 teams there that are really really bad. They lose to the top 2 teams by scores of 5-0, 6-0 constantly. You know you should have a smaller number of teams when things like that happen.
And once you say Rangers and Celtic the rest of the quality or lack thereof can really be seen, so you dont want that.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2003, 22:32 Thread Starter
Ero
Xtratime Legend

BiH will never have 2 dominant teams, not like the Scots. I think it'll all even out and be very competitive, you'll have 5-6 teams with title hopes every season.

Rudyard Kipling

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2003, 22:42
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ero
BiH will never have 2 dominant teams, not like the Scots. I think it'll all even out and be very competitive, you'll have 5-6 teams with title hopes every season.
I sort of disagree, I think you will see about 3 very strong teams, once the league gets really going.

Here is my reasoning, I dont know if the nationalistic barrier has been broken.

I think Bosnian Serbs still want to play for the Leotar's, Borac etc. The really good Bosnian Serbs will play for the best team that is mainly serbian, so now Leotar.

The Hercegovinians will want to stick with teams that have mainly croat players.

Bosniaks (Bosnians) are really the only ones IMO that have shown that they would be interested in playing in almost any team. but again we see a team like Sarajevo, Celik etc still dominated by Bosniaks.

So I think Zeljo will always be great because even though it is considered a Bosniak team, it is very mult-cultural.

Sarajevo will always be the team that top Bosniak players go to.
Leotar may be the new team that really good new Bosnian Serbs go to.
and Siroki Brijeg is one that Hercegovinians may turn to as well.

That is what we have seen this season standings wise.

We see, the multi team up there, Zeljo.

We see the Bosnian Serb team up there. Leotar
We see the Bosniak team up there, Sarajevo.
Then right after we see the Hercegovinian, Siroki Brijeg.

I expect those 4 teams to be always the ones that are going to get the title.

Till we see more mixing thats the way it will stay.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2003, 01:07 Thread Starter
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ED123
I sort of disagree, I think you will see about 3 very strong teams, once the league gets really going.

Here is my reasoning, I dont know if the nationalistic barrier has been broken.

I think Bosnian Serbs still want to play for the Leotar's, Borac etc. The really good Bosnian Serbs will play for the best team that is mainly serbian, so now Leotar.

The Hercegovinians will want to stick with teams that have mainly croat players.

Bosniaks (Bosnians) are really the only ones IMO that have shown that they would be interested in playing in almost any team. but again we see a team like Sarajevo, Celik etc still dominated by Bosniaks.

So I think Zeljo will always be great because even though it is considered a Bosniak team, it is very mult-cultural.

Sarajevo will always be the team that top Bosniak players go to.
Leotar may be the new team that really good new Bosnian Serbs go to.
and Siroki Brijeg is one that Hercegovinians may turn to as well.

That is what we have seen this season standings wise.

We see, the multi team up there, Zeljo.

We see the Bosnian Serb team up there. Leotar
We see the Bosniak team up there, Sarajevo.
Then right after we see the Hercegovinian, Siroki Brijeg.

I expect those 4 teams to be always the ones that are going to get the title.

Till we see more mixing thats the way it will stay.
hmmm, I disagree.

The reason that teams from the different regions are dominated by one ethnicity is directly correlated to the war and the innevitable division. The divisions will remain there for a long time.

Most teams have other ethnicities playing for them, NK Zeljo is a perfect example.

Zrinjski has Nenad Dzidic, Fedja Kulagic, Armin Dzinovic, Kenan Lizde, Armando Marenzzi etc. That's pretty multi-ethnical, we are expecting some of Velez's players to come to Zrinjski.

Siroki has been a phenomenon, but the city is too small to support a Premier League team for too long, I expect that when the money goes Siroki will not be no.1 in Herceg-Bosna. I think in 1 or 2 seasons Zrinjski will become the best team in Hercegovina. The fan base is the biggest, the city is the biggest and the reason why Zrinjski isn't doing so well is because teams like Brotnjo, Posusje, Siroki etc. are all from the same region and have a lot of quality players. When any of them are relegated, and presuming Zrinjski survives, we will see Mostar emerge as the football centre of West Hercegovina.

I disagree with the title race, at any given time, any of these teams can lose to anyone. Leotar were beaten twice by us this season, Borac lost both games to Zrinjski, plus we knocked them out of the cup.

I think we will see 6 teams competing

Zeljo
Sarajevo
Siroki
Zrinjski
Leotar
Celik/Sloboda/Borac

plus others maybe...the Scottish league regularly ends with euther Celts or Rangers, or both winning it by 30 or 40 points over no.3. You really think that's the case?

The reason Bosniaks are more spread out over the different teams is because they're the most numerous ethnic group, and they're the most spread out over BiH. It's difficult to have Croatians playing for Tuzla because there aren't many there, same goes for Zenica etc.

It's purely demographic, has little to do with multi-ethnical sentiments.

Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by Ero; June 4th, 2003 at 02:54.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2003, 05:20
Legend

Quote:
The reason that teams from the different regions are dominated by one ethnicity is directly correlated to the war and the innevitable division. The divisions will remain there for a long time.
Yeah that was primarly my point in my post.

And yes you are correct the reason we do see some mixing is the fact that the Bosniaks are the majority in the country and are spread around very well.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2003, 06:05 Thread Starter
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by ED123
Yeah that was primarly my point in my post.

And yes you are correct the reason we do see some mixing is the fact that the Bosniaks are the majority in the country and are spread around very well.
yeah, its only natural and I congratulate the teams that have all peoples in their squads.

Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2003, 14:43
Star Player

Teams: CROATIAN NT, NK Zadar, Real Madrid CF
I definitely agree with Ero,

it could be anybodys title. that what makes the league interesting. I think it should be 8 or 10 teams in BiH.

The competition would be fierce and exciting every week.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 02:42 Thread Starter
Ero
Xtratime Legend

wow, look at this thread and ero's insight....

Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 03:50
Legend

Which part exactly?

I said 3 strong teams, you said 6. lol I don't think there are six strong teams right now..maybe more like 3/4.

Furthermore, there is so much corruption, i'd take anything that happens in this league with a grain of salt.

There is a reason I basically only find it fun to follow Zeljo in European competition. At the end of the day, you don't know if its all legit.

When your top referee gets banned for life for match-fixing..that tells you the answer I think.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 03:55
Forum Manager
International

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, VFL Bochum, FK Sarajevo, AS Roma.
I think the league would look good with 12 teams. It would be nice not to have lower leagues that are separated by RS or FBIH. It would be cool to have a second division separated into two or four groups. Either Northern & Southern BiH. Or four groups NW, NW, SW, SE.

Ja sam Bosnjak - dican junak:
Vjeran svetom domu svome,
Vjeran slavi svojih djeda
I narodu Bosanskome!

Njegov ponos na mom srcu
Ko amanet sveti stoji;
Ponos koji nigdje ne da,
da se Bosnjak lava boji!...
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 06:46
Star Player

Teams: 1860 München and Bosna i Hercegovina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
What do you think is the best format for the BiH Premier League? How many teams and which model of play?

What do you think fits best?
I would want 12 teams playing each other home and away once. It would leave us a bit short on regular matches (22) during a BPL-season but is still the best compromise in terms of raising the quality and cutting down on clubs that really shouldnt be labelled Premijer Liga. Prva Liga should also be one common league with no more than 12 or 14 teams. Theres something very wrong when 48 clubs in total plays in what is supposed to be the two elite levels in BiH. Half of these clubs doesnt come with either size, structure or recources to do so.

Od mora do Save
Od Drine do Une
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 08:53 Thread Starter
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manijak View Post
Which part exactly?

I said 3 strong teams, you said 6. lol I don't think there are six strong teams right now..maybe more like 3/4.

Furthermore, there is so much corruption, i'd take anything that happens in this league with a grain of salt.

There is a reason I basically only find it fun to follow Zeljo in European competition. At the end of the day, you don't know if its all legit.

When your top referee gets banned for life for match-fixing..that tells you the answer I think.
oh come now girlfriend, Zeljo, Zrinjski, Srajevo, Leotar, Modrica, Leotar and Siroki have won the damn thing, by no means a two horse race..

Rudyard Kipling
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 10:55
World Class Player

Teams: Bosna i Hercegovina, FK Željezničar
I think 12 teams would be the best, 2 being relegated and 2 going to relegation playoff. That would make the Prve Lige more interesting aswell with 1 more team from each entity having the chance to get in.

22 matches in a season and maybe make Kup BiH a bit larger so we end up on some 30 matches for each PL team, think that would be enough.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 11:54
International

Teams: Arsenal, Barbarez FC
league should be FK Sarajevo, Zeljo, Celik, Borac, Jedinstvo, Velez, Sloboda, Travnik.. a-league format.. that is all.

Legende BH Fudbala:

Sergej Barbarez, Meho Kodro, Elvir Bolic, Emir Spahic, Zlatan Bajramovic, Sasa Papac, Muhamed Konjic, Mirsad Hibic, Zvjezdan Misimovic.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 13:08
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
The clubs need more than 22 matches/season to survive financialy imo. Serie A expanded from 18 to 20 clubs so they could get more money and keep up with EPL and La Liga. But then again I'm not even sure our clubs make a profit when they play home games :undecide:

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 13:18
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero View Post
oh come now girlfriend, Zeljo, Zrinjski, Srajevo, Leotar, Modrica, Leotar and Siroki have won the damn thing, by no means a two horse race..
It's not a subject I'm that interested in nor even know that much about. (the BIH league) I don't really follow it. I took a stab.

As I say though..for all we know, everything is set up. For political reasons, it makes sense.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 14:48
U Mad Buraz?
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FK Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
Honestly, I would prefer just a 10-club league with two full (home and away) half-seasons, although a 12-club league could work as well. Sarajevo, Zeljo, Celik, Sloboda, Velez, Borac, Zrinjski, Siroki, Olimpik, Laktasi... those are 10 clubs right there that have either the money and ambition, the fanbase or both to make the league pretty interesting.

FK Sarajevo

- Bosnian-Herzegovinian (BiH) club with the most Yugoslav championships
- BiH club with the most appearances and longest continuous stay in top flight football
- The most succesful BiH club on the Yugoslav league's all-time table
- The most succesful club on the BiH Premier League's all-time table
- BiH club with the most appearances in international and UEFA competition
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 15:23
Rising Star

Teams: FK Sarajevo, AC Milan, Seattle Sounders FC
I like the 12 team league, get rid of teams like Laktasi, Zvijezda, Slavija etc. and create just one second league division so combine RS and FBiH to a a regular division, then we should have 2 relegated every year, 1 for Second league and 1 for playoffs. Also I think we should play each team 3 times like they do in Scotland.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2010, 18:55
Rising Star

12 teams, 33 matches and 2 relegated teams in one season would be perfect in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in