The Macedonian Soccer Thread - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 180 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 21:45 Thread Starter
Star Player

About a Macedonian Soccer subForum...

Hello to all of you EE guys.

I decided to post this thread in order to know whether people here would be glad to see a macedonian subforum here at xtratime. Macedonian soccer is rising and our NT proved it should be respected by some good performances against some of the current major powers.

It is important to know if such a thread would obtain enough feedbacks so could you Tommy create a poll for that ?
The answer would just be "interested" or "not interested". the administrators will then decide if the number of votes is sufficient to create this subforum.

I'm looking forward to reading your reactions and hope macedonians will be as many as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 180 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2002, 22:19
Ero
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zrinjski Mostar, Glasgow Celtic
Its a good idea but you might encounter the same problem the proposed Slovenian forum ran into, namely, interest.

For example, I would vote "interested" in the poll, but to be honest I really wouldn't post there all that often, as I know little about Macedonian football.

How many Macedonians is there? If we have a small contingent present, maybe its enough to start a new forum..

good luck

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 180 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2002, 01:24 Thread Starter
Star Player

that's what i want to know : if there are macedonians and if there are enough to make a forum. btw, thank you very much for your interest Ero.

post #4 of 180 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2002, 02:33
©
International

Yeah I would support it just like I would support a Slovenian one aswell. Good luck in getting it going.

jedan je GOCE SEDLOSKI...:smileani:
post #5 of 180 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2002, 08:10
Forum Manager
Star Player

I would support the idea of a forum as well But as has already been stated there simply isnt enough people to make a forum However this can be the thread where all football relating to Macedonia can be discussed

I have one question for u thepretender its about the Macedonian Coach I remember hearing that he is trying to get players of Macedonian decent such as Sterjovski from Australia and i was wondering if u could tell me whether he has been successfull in getting any players to come play for Macedonia?
post #6 of 180 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 09:55 Thread Starter
Star Player

thanks a lot for your interest guys. it's a great pleasure. macedonia's coach ilievski, as you said it, is trying to make good players play for their homeland and make them choose macedonia.
this article from onefootball.com perfectly sums up the situation :

Ilevski calls in foreign legion

Thursday 14th March 2002

New Macedonia FYR coach Nikola Ilevski is on a mission to seek out foreign players of Macedonian origin. "I'm going to try and strengthen the national squad with every player from abroad who wants to play for Macedonia," said the coach.

Ilesi is believed to be preparing to approach a number of players to persuade them to return to their Macedonian roots and represent the country in the forthcoming Euro 2004 qualifying campaign.

"I'm going to try and strengthen the national squad with every player from abroad who wants to play for Macedonia," said the coach.

According to a recent piece of research, there are 25 non-Macedonian players of Macedonian origin playing in Europe's top leagues and Ilevski is now on a mission to persuade them that they should represent Macedonia FYR at international level.

The players that the coach is targetting include Aleksander Mitreski from Swiss side Young Boys, Oliver Bogatinov from Slovenian side Publikum, Saso Petrovski from Danish side Viborg, Gzim Osmani from Malmo in Sweden, Villareal's Igor Tasheski, Ivica Ilie from Partizan Belgrade and Jovan Markovski from Red Star Belgrade.

"Saso Petrovski is willing to play for Macedonia, and very soon I'll contact him," said Ilevski. "He has a big chance to play in the friendly against Bosnia, because he has only played in a friendly game for Australia.

"From the other players, together with Aleksandar Mitreski who plays in Sweden, I seriously count on Oliver Bogatinov from Slovenia, even through he's injured at the moment."

However, Ilevski faces an uphill task if he is to persuade Lille's Australian-born Mile Sterjovski to join his new look side.

"I heard that Mile Sterjovski from Lille said to media that he's not willing to play for Macedonia FYR, but I'll wait until I hear that from him," said Ilesi. "I won't give up on him that easily."

To the coach's frustration, several players of Macedonian origin have already been ruled out of his plans by electing to commit themselves to representing other nations.

Crystal Palace's Jovan Kirovski represents the United States, Bordeaux's Iksel Osmanovsi plays for Sweden and Ethnikos' Borce Gjurev plays for Cyprus.

unfortunately he was unsuccessful with oka nikolov, eintracht frankfurt goalkeeper, because he would have lost his german citizenship and sterjovski who plays for australia.
onthe other hand, "swiss" alexandar mitrevski from grasshoppers has accepted, bogatinov and petrovski seem ok, tasevski, iliev and markovski are still a question mark i think, especially iliev who has already been selected twice for yugoslavia's U21 team.
He laso succeeded with "swede" jurica siljanovski, from elsborg, and convinced brazilian play Braga, who's linked with Inter Milano, to play for macedonia. He has now macedonian citizenship and already plays for the NT.

it's really a shame for kirovski, osmanovski and sterjovski since they're excellent players... but playing for macedonia wasn't really attractive when they had to choose... we cannot blame them for that. For Petric it was easier to pick croatia over switzerland.

I strongly hope he will have another achievements of this type cause we have a tough euro2004 qualification group...
The Macedonians have been drawn in qualifying Group 7 alongside England, Turkey, Slovakia and Liechtenstein.

may i ask you some question too ... do you know where igor gjuzelov plays ? is it at NK zagreb or hajduk split ? could you tell me more about him ?

jedan je GOCE SEDLOSKI... great player indeed. i've read he was voted croatian player of the year. i was a little bit surprised cause there are excellent central defenders playing in croatia (stimac, bilic, etc) but it shows our football is on the right path and improve year after year...

Last edited by thepretender; August 1st, 2002 at 09:59.
post #7 of 180 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 10:08
©
International

hhmm....I know Sterjovski and Petrovski quite well as they are Australian. Sterjovski actually made his name for Sydney United (Croatia). He is an excellent young player but I heard an interview a few months ago saying he definantley wouldn't play for Macedonia and I also remember him playing for the Australian under 21 team so I don't think it is possible anyway.

Petrovski is another story. He was a great finisher here in the Australian league and was part of back to back champion Wollongong where he was one of the best players and one of the top scorers in the league. I also remember him being called up for Australia but it may have been a friendly like that article says. He would be more likely to play for Macedonia because I don't think he will get many chances playing for Australia.

Are there any good players coming through in the Macedonian teams that we should look out for and what is the standard of the league like to say other leagues in the region? I see that Vardar lost in the CL qualifiers.

Duzelov played for Hajduk a few years ago but I haven't heard from him since. I think they might have released him but not too sure. Zagreb also have a Macedonian, Stavrevski, and is a first team regular.

about Sedloski....I think he was voted best foreigner in Croatia not best player, but he is a great player and the Dinamo fans love him!!

Last edited by dinamovac11; August 1st, 2002 at 10:20.
post #8 of 180 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 14:02
Star Player

I would support it to, but Pretender I think you are the only Macedonian on this forum, I might be wrong but you are the only one I have seen. And their are not many Slovenes here either....they hang out on WSB where they have a forum for their NT and Legue + for their best clubs.
post #9 of 180 (permalink) Old August 1st, 2002, 18:40 Thread Starter
Star Player

that's what i assumed zagabria it's not a problem, i mean, ukrain and russia deserve a forum and they haven't even a sub one... but it's to talk about macedonian soccer with croats too

macedonians to be looked out for :

- aco stojkov (forward) and goran pandev (midfielder) are both playing for Inter Milan. they were bought last year from belasica GC, they are U19 internationals so they are very young and promising. they currently play for inter B team to improve. they've been scouted during a tournament and macedonia U19 campaign for the last euro championship.
they 've been both called up twice i think for the "A" Nt.

- Georgi Hristov (NEC Nijmegen, Holland, striker, 28, A international) : our gretaest striker, scored 14 goals last season before being hit by a long injury.

- Igor Mitrevski (spartak moscow, defender, 23) : he's scouted by arsenal, bayern munchen and parma ac. Plays with fellow goran Maznov, good striker (24) loaned to Torpedo ZIL, and stamenovski (defender).

- Igor Nikolovski (FK Lierse, Belgium, 28, defender) : one of our best defender with Goce Sedlovski and Stavrevski, both at NK Zagreb.

- Robert Popov : voted top macedonian youngster, he plays for belasica too. U19 international who already plays for the U21 squad. Scouted by spartak moscow with teammate Danko Masev.

- Masev was linked with Piacenza (seria A) with teammate zoran Baldovaliev, but neither players struck a deal with the italian club.

- Robert Petrov (Pobeda, defender, 24, A international)

- Blaze Georgievski (Pobeda, Midfielder, 26, A international) : used to be a reular at red star before Muslin's appointment.

- Nikola Gjorsevski (Sileks, defender, 22, U21 & A international) : Gjorshevski was being chased by a host of clubs such as like Red Star Belgrade, Hajduk Split, Dinamo Zagreb but was convinced by fellow Macedonian Cede Janevski, who is currently working with Bruges' youth teams, to join the Belgian high-flyers.

- Stojance Ignjatov (Sileks, playmaker, 24, A international) : good playmaker and great skills.

- Srgjan Zaharievski (Vardar skopje, midfielder, 28, A international) : hereturned to Macedonia after two years in Portugal and Germany, where he played for Stuttgart. Zaharievski was voted Macedonian player of the year in 1997 and 1998.

- Gogo Jovcev (Vardar Skopje, goalkeeper, 28, A international) : he joined Sloga from Rabotnicki and immediately established himself as one of the leading shot-stoppers in the country.
His speciality is saving penalties and he kept out an astonishing seven spot-kicks during an outstanding 2001-2002 season.

- Argent Bekiri (28, striker) and Zoran Jovanovski (26, defender) from Sloga have just been transfered to Turkish side Samsunspor with coach gjore jovanovski.

but also Djokic (striker) from Pobeda, Panov (midfielder) and Nacevski (Striker) from Vardar and saso Ciric from Nuremberg (great striker though he's 33...) are regular internationals.

well! i think that's not bad...
post #10 of 180 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2002, 16:39
Rising Star

Hey i m the other Macedonian here and i know Stejrovski and Petreski too but unfortunately Stejrovski has already played for Ausralia so he cant play for Macedonia now as for Petreski we can still have him, and the idea about Macedonian subforum is great.
post #11 of 180 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2002, 19:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

welcome dragan ! shall the force be with us
post #12 of 180 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2002, 23:56 Thread Starter
Star Player

yesterday, macedonia hammered malta 5-0 in a friendly in skopje. the game from macedonia was simply great and sometimes it reached one of the best european level. "gigi" ilievski, the NT coach, introduced new tactics, a versatile and aggressive 3-4-3 based on permanent movement, pressing and maximum engagement. in that respect, ilievski entrusted a new generation of promising players with settling macedonia's future. the old guard, with such experienced guys as micevski, zaharievski or ciric has been left out for that game and will probably be more often now. young promising inter milan player aco stojkov for instance had his first cap upfront among sakiri and hristov and scored a nice goal for his first cap. his inter teammate goran pandev did so too.
we can expect a bright future for our NT even though a tough job awaits macedonians in the upcoming euro2004 qualification campaign. their group is actually one of the hardest of the competition with england, turkey, slovakia and liechtenstein.
Macedonia can reasonably expect a 3rd place according to its last good performance against both turkey and slovakia and can be already considered as the troublemaker of this group.

macedonia -malta : 5-0 (2-0)

sakiri (2)
hristov (1)
stojkov (1)
pandev (1)
post #13 of 180 (permalink) Old August 29th, 2002, 11:40
Star Player

is Sakiri the guy who played in the swedish league some seasons ago?
post #14 of 180 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2002, 02:25 Thread Starter
Star Player

yes. he played for halmstad from 1997 to 1998. he's now at CSKA sofia and scored during the last UEFA cup match for his club.
post #15 of 180 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2002, 19:14
Premier Player

Exactly! Sakiri plays in MY CSKA

I am very happy that there is a thread about Macedonian Soccer.It may not become a Forum but that is also good.
In fact In the Bulgarian Forum there are only four of us)I mean Bulgarians) Considering the fact that two of them haven't appeared recently

Now can you tell me what the is macedonian team expecting in the near future-any games?
post #16 of 180 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2002, 14:37
Premier Player

BTW,
CSKA(Sofia)-Vardar 4-1
According to the BG press Vardar played quite well in the first 30 miutes.
Zaharievski scored for Vardar
post #17 of 180 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2002, 20:52 Thread Starter
Star Player

the future seemed bright... before that fu(king game in liechtenstein... :fero: 1-1 ! incredible! against probably the worst european team.
they played without heart and discipline. by scoring in the 8th minute by a superb hristov volley following an artim sakiri's nice cross, they progressively totally disappeared. not that liechtenstein were playing good but because they weren't giving a damn about the game.
makedonska rabota...
now they fu(ked everything up. they will ahev to be very very strong to hope reaching the 2nd place. it was possible though. they were having true chances this year.
i hope this will be a lesson, the last, for them to consider each opponent seriously, whatever the rank. our football is still young and has a lot to expect. the best is yet to come. i just hope they'll be serious against the other opponent and won't consider they're already eliminated for a qualification spot.

however, welcome here luba. nice to see some fellows here.
post #18 of 180 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2002, 10:39
Premier Player

You haven't lost anything yet....
That will sober them I suppose.
yah 'makedonska rabota' -together with our 'bulgarska rabota'- quite a big mess is formed
post #19 of 180 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2002, 23:35 Thread Starter
Star Player

yeah i really hope it will sober them. good performanes in friendlies is not everything. you have to be serious all the time. any opponent can be dangerous and has to be respected. macedonian medias thrashed the team talking about "sramot", "worst game ever played by macedonia" and other things like that. and they were right.
our coach, ilievski, was so furious, especially towards pandev, stojkov, braga, nikolovski and popov that he told he would try other players for the next match against turkey.
the thing he was the most angry about was the obvious lack of motivation of some players in the midfield and the attack.
he 's right to do that. these players behaved like stars probably cause they play in the best clubs (2 in inter milan, 1 in aris salonique, 1 in lierse and 1 in belasica, popov, who was voted macedonia's MVP last year) than the other players.
there's no star in macedonia. the star must be the team since we are not a football super power.
organization, discipline, commitment is what we need to make a good team. i think it's balkanska rabota, balkan mentality : to much pretention.
when you look at croatia, yugoslavia, even romania and bulgaria, it's always a huge mess. and a huge waste of talent. if these countries were able to organize, they would do great things. slovenia is the best example for me : they have not more talent than any medium team but they can beat anyone because they are always well prepared, well organized and disciplined. the proof is that they don't even need zahovic who is obviously their best player...
post #20 of 180 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2002, 19:27
Premier Player

pretender,pal,will you please inform me of the latest news?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in