Road to Brazil 2014: The Group of Death... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 14:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: PSV, Oranje, Macedonian NT
Road to Brazil 2014: The Group of Death...

I know its very early to start this thread but this 0-0 draw with Portugal has got me excited

Let me start of by saying that this will be our 5th attempt to qualify for a WC and our 10th at a major tournament with 0% success so far of course alm:

To make matters worse we are in the group of death The opponents being Belgium, Croatia, Serbia, Scotland and Wales. Quality opposition all round and it will be a success if we dont finish last imo but football is a funny game and you never know what may happen.

Our Full Fixture List:

Croatia - Macedonia (7 Sep, 2012)
Scotland - Macedonia (11 Sep, 2012)

Macedonia - Croatia (12 Oct, 2012)
Macedonia - Serbia (16 Oct, 2012)

Macedonia - Belgium (22 Mar, 2013)
Belgium - Macedonia (26 Mar, 2013)

Macedonia - Wales (6 Sep, 2013)
Macedonia - Scotland (10 Sep, 2013)

Wales - Macedonia (11 Oct, 2013)
Serbia - Macedonia (15 Oct, 2013)

Of course the pick of the lot will be against Croatia and Serbia, especially at home. If Toshack is still in the job then the games vs Wales will be interesting too and there is a bit of history with Scotland after the 2010 qualifiers.

My pick is for the Belgians to finally fulfil their potential and top the group with either Croatia or Serbia in second. What i would like to see from us though is a lot of youngsters to get a go and for us to build ultimately for 2016 but also to be a tough side to beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 14:16 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

White Rabbits Squad

The players i like to see make up the nucleus of the squad for the qualifiers are the following:

Goalkeepers:

Tome Pacovski
Martin Bogatinov
Stole Dimitrievski
Filip Gacevski

Defenders:

Aleksandar Todorovski
Stefan Ristovski
Nikolce Noveski
Vance Sikov
Daniel Mojsov
Boban Grncarov
Goran Popov
Aleksandar Lazevski

Midfielders:

Muhammed Demiri
David Babunski
Aleksandar Trajkovski

Attackers:

Goran Pandev
Ivan Trickovski
Samir Fazli
Ferhan Hasani

Thats 19 players right there. Of course other players should be picked but this should be based on form rather than anything else.

No foreseeable problems at GK or in defence as of now but i would like to see Mojsov be given more of a go at CB.

Midfield is really the problem area but theres no point in speculating about naturalising/potential players. Ive just gone with what we have

In attack there are quite a lot of players in with a chance but those were the only 4 which i have any real belief in rather than the form they are in, as with the midfielders ive listed.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2012, 19:09
World Class Player

Teams: Inter Milan, Macedonia NT
I'd leave out Fazli and Hasani until they actually get some game time and replace them with Agim Ibraimi, Filip Ivanovski and also Ristic while moving Trajkovski to more of an attacker rather than midfielder and maybe even give Tasevski one last chance, though I can't see Toshack calling him up. You could even play Mojsov as a DM, he played the last minutes of that against Portugal but I guess Demiri and Sumi/Gligorov will be the two DM's while Popov can also play as that attacking left wing back. It seems we are going back to the Katanec tactics of 3-5-2/5-3-2 with defensive tactics and fast counters our main threat which I think will work in this group because we are not favourites against any team.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2012, 07:13 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Good point about Hasani and Fazli but im sure they will move on this summer. That list was the players that should always be there, guys like Ivanovski, Ristic and Ibrahimi may be in good form now but im not sure whether they should be regulars.

Well Trajkovski plays at 10 or AM in Belgium so thats why i listed him as a midfielder as that position is considered to be a midfield one in a 4-3-3.

I dont mind Tasevski but Toshack wont call him up because of his attitude/their relationship. He has always played at a decent level despite not producing for the NT. With Sumu and Grozdanoski i dont think/hope they will be chosen anymore seeing as they play in Asia. Gligorov seems to be the other choice at DM. Ive never seem him play but i wouldnt mind seeing Mojsov, Sikov or even Popov step in there either.

On the tactics, in the long run i would like us to play 4-3-3 with the player we have coming through. In the short run through 5-3-2 may be the most effective.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2012, 16:32
Xtratime Legend

I remember back in the day we were discussing how crap our midfield was and it looks like nothing has changed (maybe Babunski will be our saviour but until he proves it at the senior level i wont get my hopes up). At this point even our attackers have become crap. You take Pandev out (lets face it he's almost over the hill) and I just don't see any quality there. Looks like these past few games of playing bunker is gonna be the norm for us.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old June 7th, 2012, 22:17
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
My pick is for the Belgians to finally fulfil their potential and top the group with either Croatia or Serbia in second. What i would like to see from us though is a lot of youngsters to get a go and for us to build ultimately for 2016 but also to be a tough side to beat.
I watched Wales against Mexico and I think we can beat them at home. With Toshack in charge if we must get at least 4 points against them to avoid finishing last. I see no chance for us against Croatia or Serbia on the road and Belgium have owned us in the past. If you look at it, this was the worst group we could get. Hopefully like you said, we play a lot of youngsters and someone like Babunski or Trajkovski step up and help Trickovski upfront.

My predictions:

Croatia 3-1 Macedonia (7 Sep, 2012)
Scotland 1-0 Macedonia (11 Sep, 2012)

Macedonia 1-1 Croatia (12 Oct, 2012)
Macedonia 0-0 Serbia (16 Oct, 2012)

Macedonia 0-2 Belgium (22 Mar, 2013)
Belgium 4-1 Macedonia (26 Mar, 2013)

Macedonia 2-0 Wales (6 Sep, 2013)
Macedonia 0-0 Scotland (10 Sep, 2013)

Wales 1-1 Macedonia (11 Oct, 2013)
Serbia 2-0 Macedonia (15 Oct, 2013)
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 02:26 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I honestly dont believe we'll get that many points

You're an optimistic man, Ambis
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 07:26
World Class Player

If Belgium get their shit together they can easily top this group with one of Serbia or Croatia fighting for second. I'll be happy if we beat Wales and maybe Scotland since we've done it before at home and get a couple of draws here and there.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 09:54
The 12th Player
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Doria, Ajax, Spurs
I think macedonia can do it, serbia, croats are beatable, theyrent from the TOP 5 of europe.
scotland and wales got good players but theyrent good teams aswell, they allways fail as a national team.

i wouldnt call this the group of death... check out the group with portugal russia israel

good luck macedonia, im with you
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 12:14
World Class Player

Thanks mate.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old June 8th, 2012, 15:54
Expecto patronum!
Legend

Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
Quote:
The players i like to see make up the nucleus of the squad for the qualifiers are the following:

Goalkeepers:

Tome Pacovski
Martin Bogatinov
Stole Dimitrievski
Filip Gacevski

Defenders:

Aleksandar Todorovski
Stefan Ristovski
Nikolce Noveski
Vance Sikov
Daniel Mojsov
Boban Grncarov
Goran Popov
Aleksandar Lazevski

Midfielders:

Muhammed Demiri
David Babunski
Aleksandar Trajkovski

Attackers:

Goran Pandev
Ivan Trickovski
Samir Fazli
Ferhan Hasani
u must be jokin
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2012, 05:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

If we dont finish last that will be a solid performance by the team, anything else and it would be as good as qualifying considering the groups we had for 2010 and 2012.

The main thing is i want us to be very competitive every game (although playing very defensive) and hopefully we can pick up some points and not be the team everyone gets 6 points from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
I think macedonia can do it, serbia, croats are beatable, theyrent from the TOP 5 of europe.
scotland and wales got good players but theyrent good teams aswell, they allways fail as a national team.

i wouldnt call this the group of death... check out the group with portugal russia israel

good luck macedonia, im with you
Macedonia's biggest and most faithful fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
u must be jokin
That was before these games vs Faroes and Denmark.

Gacevski should definetly not be on there but dont rule out Fazli just yet. If he gets a good club next year you dont know what will happen.

Spirovski and Urdinov should probably be on there as well now come to think of it.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old June 15th, 2012, 19:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Seeing as form wont really be a factor come the first matchday as the leagues would just be starting then abouts everywhere, how would you guys set the team out?

Its two away games vs Croatia and Scotland.

I would go with something like this:

Bogatinov

Ristovski - Sikov - Noveski - Mojsov - Popov

Babunski - Demiri

Trajkovski

Trickovski - Pandev

A 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2 depending on how you interpret it.

Identical formation to what the Italians are playing at the Euros atm. If played well, as seen with Italy, it can be both defensive and attacking.

It was tried most of the time under Katanec and believe it or not the team had more structure then than it has done since.

The positives of playing this are that its looking further down the track. Think about it, if we ever qualify for a major tournament we will not play 4-3-3 or other attacking formations. Plus it gives protection to out defence and the hope we dont concede to much while i think we have the players to get a goal on the counter. A lack of quality CM's, be them defensive or attacking is a real problem in this team.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old June 18th, 2012, 11:29
The 12th Player
Premier Player

Teams: Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Doria, Ajax, Spurs
Quote:
Seeing as form wont really be a factor come the first matchday as the leagues would just be starting then abouts everywhere, how would you guys set the team out?

Its two away games vs Croatia and Scotland.

I would go with something like this:

Bogatinov

Ristovski - Sikov - Noveski - Mojsov - Popov

Babunski - Demiri

Trajkovski

Trickovski - Pandev

A 5-3-2 or a 3-5-2 depending on how you interpret it.

Identical formation to what the Italians are playing at the Euros atm. If played well, as seen with Italy, it can be both defensive and attacking.

It was tried most of the time under Katanec and believe it or not the team had more structure then than it has done since.

The positives of playing this are that its looking further down the track. Think about it, if we ever qualify for a major tournament we will not play 4-3-3 or other attacking formations. Plus it gives protection to out defence and the hope we dont concede to much while i think we have the players to get a goal on the counter. A lack of quality CM's, be them defensive or attacking is a real problem in this team.
seems like a good squad, although pandev or Trickovski should play alone in the top as target striker meanwhile the other one should play behind him, will suit the maco's playing style more.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2012, 03:39
International

Teams: Armenia
You call that group of death?, we have Italy, Denmark, Czech Republic, Bulgaria and Malta.

I'm So fvcking westside that I'm a communist
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old June 19th, 2012, 13:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

I dont agree.

I mean Italy are a class above the teams in our group but your group still isnt harder.

You may argue that the Czechs and the Danes are better as a collective unit but on paper they are much worse than the Belgians, Croats and Serbs.

Also Bulgaria's and Malta's teams are laughable compared to Scotland and Wales.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old August 6th, 2012, 12:33
Expecto patronum!
Legend

Teams: Macedonia, Inter, Rabotnichki
our group even without us is deadly, we dont really make it harder
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2012, 01:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
John Toshack has been sacked, strange timing
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2012, 03:28 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Bad timing more than strange.

The reasons are adequate however. We have a new president of the FFM and he does not seem to be an utter idiot at first sight.

He asked that: "John Toshack reside in Macedonia (the current process saw Toshack live in Spain and arrive in Macedonia several days before an actual match), have direct insight into the development of Macedonian football, to be involved in the education of coaches and to more closely play a factor in the improvement of conditions in Macedonian football".

Toshack declined these responsibilities so his contract was terminated.

Goce Sedloski will take charge of the Lithuania friendly whilst the FFM look to appoint a manager only 1 month before the qualifiers.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old August 13th, 2012, 10:10
World Class Player

You guys are tripping balls. You have the most balanced group. Anyone can defeat anyone, and yes including you! Our group with Italy, Denmark, and Czech Republic are much stronger. Yes Croatia and Serbia are formidable sides, but if Italy or Denmark were in your group, they would definately finish first(at least Italy for sure). Don't underestimate yourselves, I saw some talent from Macedonia in these last qualifiers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in