Zvezda signs.. - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old June 21st, 2004, 16:36 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
Zvezda signs..

Goran Popov,

It´s a familiar name, I think Tome talked about him in the past, but perhaps one of you could refresh my memory.

He's signed a 5 year contract and basically here's what he had to say:

"Zadovoljan sam što sam postao igrač Crvene zvezde i mislim da nisam pogrešio u izboru iako sam imao ponude najjačih grčkih klubova. Nadam se da ću uspeti da se izborim za mesto u prvom timu. U sredu ću se priključiti radu sa ostalim igračima", izjavio je Popov.

Thanks for any info and hopefully Goran will bring us all a lot of joy in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old June 22nd, 2004, 12:49
Star Player

great for you !!
i'm a bit surprised in fact that AEK, Panathinaikos or Olympiakos which were very interested by the player (especially AEK which had a buying option priority at the end of his loan...) and he decided to go for Zvezda. Since Vidic might go, he looks as a perfect replacement or as a perfect partner...

he's a tall and strong central defender (188 cm and 85 kg).
Goran Popov began his professional career with FK Belasica in Macedonia and is a hot prospect from this football school which produced the last best young macedonian players. His good performances there drew several clubs attention but AEK athens was the first to get him on loan last season. he quickly became a starter in the greek club where he impressed many scouts.
he was member of the senior NT almost before being even a U21 team one. In the last game in estonia (victory 4-2 away from macedonia the june 11th) he scored his first international goal in which was probably his 2nd or 3rd appearence.

i hope this will satisfy you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2004, 01:32
Community Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Red Star , Srbija
He seems pretty good so far. :thmbup:

The truth about Sinisa Mihajlovic and his destruction of the Serbian NT

Crvena zvezda - The Greatest EE Club of all time

Nerazzurri4life: Those Red Star fans are truly astonishing.
Demandred: First, I just have to say the Red Star fans were absolutely amazing, incredible atmosphere

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old July 15th, 2004, 01:45
Xtratime Legend

The guy played at AEK last year (he joined in the winter transfer period) and was simply horrible. Bad positioning, many mistakes and looked really, really nervous. Just not up to it. However, he showed that he has some talent and he could become a very good player if he gets experience. AEK wanted to sign him mainly due to his performances in training (he looked impressive there, he just sucked in real games) and because they believed in his talent but they just couldn't afford him due to their financial troubles (PAO and Olympiakos were never interested) .

He is a promising player but he needs to really grow up mentally. I doubt he can do a job at Red Star right away but the truth is that AEK was a turbulent club last year, definitely not ideal for someone looking for stability in order to improve.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2004, 10:48
Star Player

you can't reproach a player who's only 19 to lack experience... it's a bit of nonsense.
the greek championship has a good and hard level and i think red star is a better club for him to really "start " his career since he has only a small experience. being a starter for AEK at only 19 when you only come from a good macedonian club where you haven't played that much is a bit too fast in my opinion. but i'm sure this experience will be important for him.
do you know how many games he played for AEK ? and at which position(s) he was used ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 07:14
Rookie

Aek let got about 4-5 of their best players since they are over 100 million euros in Dept so they couldnt afford Goran Popov but he seems to be ok in Red Star.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 08:57
Star Player

cool ! i hope drulo could give us some info from time to time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 12:07 Thread Starter
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zvezda, Feyenoord and Serbia!
He played as a starter in our clash with Swiss side Young Boys. Since I wasnt able to watch this match I can't tell you much more than what I've read from reports.
But he started out pretty nervous with the rest of our guys when we immediately went down 1-0 and seems to have been critisized by Ljupko during the match. It's not the end of the world though as he played a very solid preparation period and seems to have been chosen over Dragan Sarac in the starting line up.

If we go through we'll get PSV and I will have the chance to watch him in action live from the stadium. So I'll know more then.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old July 30th, 2004, 22:40
Star Player

well that's enough for the moment Drulo. the guy is very young and obviously lacks experience but the fact he's been preferred to an experienced one, Sarac, tells he has a good potential.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:51
Xtratime Legend

Since Zvezda is my second favorite team im wishing him the very best, i know he had a rough game but it was his first game ever and he said playing for Red Star was his dream..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in