Appeal - Xtratime Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 22:05 Thread Starter
Star Player

Appeal

the thing i was the most scared about when this forum has been created is to see the antique fight between greeks and macedonians come here, in this football board. and it happened.
it's probably my fault cause i've answered to kostas remarks thinking, in a truly peaceful way, that we could explain to each other our vision of our identity. a kind of step forward for everyone to understand each other better. without being naive and trying to avoid polemics.
i don't want this forum to be closed cause we, macedonians, have the right to talk about our football. but we haven't the right to make politics or to do polemics with any other members of the Xt community. that's the reason why i simply completely deletd the thread concerned, considering it a shameful stain in this board. we don't need that.
so my appeal to you is to leave these subjects (the questions of names, identities, and so on) and do not answer to insults or provocations.
Thank you.

Da zivee Makedonija !

p-s : i let this thread open, i do hope such things won't happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 22:18
Xtratime Legend

Pretender, you have to appreciate the fact that till now the Greek posters here at Xtratime have been extremelly lenient towards the use of the term Macedonia in connection with your country. There was never a fuss about it. At some point someone (I believe it was you) also used the Star of Vergina as your avatar, no fuss made then either.

But to come to the point where mentioning the country as FYROM would create a fuss from you guys is really sad. You must accept that there is another side of the argument, the Greek one. Unfortunately for you, the official name of the country is FYROM and treating a mention of the country as FYROM as a provocation is blatantly unfair. Some of the Greeks might feel provoced from the name of this forum or the places in your location, yet everyone is extremelly respectful about it.

Personally, I believe you guys have enough problems as it is, and if using a certain name makes you feel better, be my guests. But you must also be civil about our perception of the name - which happens to be the official one.

There are obviously many different opinions on the subject, but just as "we" have been showing understanding about your perception, you gotta give it back.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 22:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
Wise words, thepretender.

hope everyone take them as serious as possible.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:05
Rising Star

As Amo said the people here have to appreciate the fact that we didn't complaint nor interfere with the illegal use (according to UN regulations) of the term "Macedonia" in these forums

thepretender, you seem logic and wise person. Respect to your words. Now I don't wanna get involve in politic talks for the simple fact that we're all here to discuss football, but rest assured that the next time I notice negative and provocative remarks about my country Hellas and its proud history I will not keep my mouth shut

And you are always welcome to the Greek forums to discuss about Macedonian teams like PAOK, Aris, Iraklis, Pierikos, Castoria, Veria etc. etc.

Respect&Peace
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:09
Premier Player

Re: Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by thepretender
i don't want this forum to be closed cause we, macedonians, have the right to talk about our football.
Some people might disagree that you are "macedonians". The name of this forum is extremely offensive for my own part.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ionian

And you are always welcome to the Greek forums to discuss about Macedonian teams like PAOK, Aris, Iraklis, Pierikos, Castoria, Veria etc. etc.

Respect&Peace
Also in the Bulgarian forum to dicsuss other Macedonian teams like Belastitc Petric, Pirin Blagoevgrad, the Intretoto guys from Marek Dupnitsa, etc.

Why are you doing this? After all these wise words from thepretender, Amo and yourslef. Why arre you provoking them again ...

Please, everyone, cant you just trun and discuss football as FOOTBALL only matter. PLEASE!

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:12
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hux

I would appricate if you keep away from this one ... please, buddy.

noone needs closed threads in teh Macedonian forum ... noone!

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:15
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by bono
Please, everyone, cant you just trun and discuss football as FOOTBALL only matter. PLEASE!
It is very hard to discuss football in a forum with this name, I believe. Many greeks feel offended by it because the country's official name is not Macedonia, and I don't think it's appropriate for Xtratime to make a political decision and call it Macedonia.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

One last time, hux ... PLEASE!

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:17
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by bono
Hux

I would appricate if you keep away from this one ... please, buddy.

noone needs closed threads in teh Macedonian forum ... noone!
Bono, I know that you serve in the interest of peace here, but I will never submit to any silence when it comes to the name of Macedonia. All I'm saying is about their country's official name, which can hardly be disputed.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:23
Rising Star

You're telling me that I provoked bono?? Please..
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:23
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
In Romania there is a large part of the country that is called Moldova, yet they have nothing against their neighbour country being called Moldova as well. Why is it so bad, that someone else wants to call themself the same as a county/region in your country. It should be their business what they are called, not their neighbours. Either way, when you go into their forum, you need to show proper respect, just like they do with you when entering your forum. If they don't like you calling it FYROM, I would strongly suggest that you do not use that term.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:28
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ionian
You're telling me that I provoked bono?? Please..
Sorry, that was a wrong wording obviously on my part. I thought you said sth different the 1st time I read it. Then again, appologies.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:32
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Orange
In Romania there is a large part of the country that is called Moldova, yet they have nothing against their neighbour country being called Moldova as well. Why is it so bad, that someone else wants to call themself the same as a county/region in your country. It should be their business what they are called, not their neighbours. Either way, when you go into their forum, you need to show proper respect, just like they do with you when entering your forum. If they don't like you calling it FYROM, I would strongly suggest that you do not use that term.
Anders, the matter if far more complicated than that. Along with the name, they are trying to use the history. Correctly or not, I'm not going to debate it here- but the dispute exists.

By calling them "Macedonia", I show disrespect to my own country's position which so happens I agree with. I fully respect them by calling them FYROM and not Albanians-to-be or Non-Macedonians or whatever silly provocative crap I can come up with.

They should respect us instead and not make a fuss when they are called FYROM, their official name.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:32
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Orange
Orange, being a norwegian you have obviously never been living trough this kind of process. When someone takes the international name of what is mainly associated with a region in another country, it IS somebody's business. If they don't like being called their official name, I would say you're making a political statement by allowing their insults against those who do.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:36
Premier Player

I just want to know here; is this an official statement from the Xtratime administration? We have two administrators here discouraging the use of the name "FYROM".
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:40
Legend

Which insults have we(I) allowed?

I certainly wouldn't like Norway to be called FSRON - Former Swedish Republic of Norway.

As for your argument, you can easily see that it is the same for Moldova(the country and the Romanian region), still there is no problem about it. I think it would be worse if they called themselves Greece/Hellas. Naming their country after a region in your country should be an honour.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:45
Xtratime Legend

Anders, you have no knowledge of the subject. Really.

You're involuntirely insulting a whole country with each post you make.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old July 1st, 2003, 23:48
Premier Player

Orange, this is going into a nasty political debate. Please do not make such statements as "Naming their country after a region in your country should be an honour" because no greek in the world feels it's an honour. I'm am just bringing up the fact that the country's official name is FYROM, and it can be seen as a compromise between our people.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2003, 00:07
Legend

I have understood that many citizens of the country, do not see it as a compromise to be called FYROM, but rather as an insult.

I respect your opinions on the matter, but that doesn't mean they are the only ones that should be allowed. Even an outsider like me, should be allowed to comment on it. It is obvously an almost impossible problem, as long as the two sides are so far apart.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in