Crowd Trouble in Turkey: vs Macedonia - Xtratime Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 01:40 Thread Starter
International
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United and England
Crowd Trouble in Turkey: vs Macedonia

Don't like the sound of this....hopefully the England lads won't have to put up with any of this

---------------------------------------------

Turkey face UEFA probe

UEFA have confirmed they will investigate the crowd trouble that occurred during last night's EURO 2004 qualifier between Turkey and Macedonia.

Objects were thrown on to the pitch during the match in Istanbul, which Turkey won 3-2.

Midfielder Sasko Lazarevski was struck on the head by a missile and riot police had to form a cordon to protect the Macedonian players when they were taking a corner.

Turkey are almost certain to be charged by UEFA.

"We are aware of incidents that have been reported from that game and await the match delegate's report which will cover all aspects of the conduct of the match both on and off the field," said UEFA communications director Mike Lee.

"We have already received the referee's report and reference has been made to missiles coming on to the pitch.

"The final decision on opening a disciplinary procedure will only be taken once we have received the official delegate's report and reviewed video evidence.

"However an investigation has been opened on the basis of information already received."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 10:40
Rookie

The problem with the recent UEFA probe into the Turkish crowd trouble will most likely end in anoher fine and warning for Turkey,

England would have had more of a case for a closed game if they had played the slovakia game behind closed doors themselves.

Uefa will be keen to avoid charges of double standards, from both countries.

what do you guys think about this??

best regards.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 13:13
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
Keen to avoid double standards, but they are already in dielema about that, seeing as Geogia and Slovakia had to play in closed stadiums and England didn't.

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 15:51
Rookie

Its different this time...
A player got hurt .
Macedonia could've walked off the pitch at the moment and been awarded the points by uefa.

The turks were insisting that england play behind closed doors after the sunderland game.
Its a different story now that they're in trouble.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 15:57
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
The Turks have once again proved they are worse then the England fans, much worse. Lets hope they recieve similiar warnings like the ones we recieved. The English FA must have a few things to say about this.

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word

Last edited by Russell; June 13th, 2003 at 16:36.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 16:47
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
The Turks have once again proved they are worse then the England fans, much worse. Lets hope they recieve similiar warnings like the ones we recieved. The English FA must have a few things to say about this.
England: Racist abuse/chanting, pitch invasions, over 100 arrests, attacking coaches, trying to start fights etc

Turkey: Water bottle thrown onto the pitch after provocation.

And you have the nerve to say that Turkish fans are far worse than English fans?

Don't make me laugh
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 17:08
Legend

Teams: FENERBAHCE SK, TÜRKIYE
Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
Yeah it was us that caused 69 Italians die in the Heysel stadium...you are pathetic!

Fenerbahce büyüklügü
Ne sampiyonluk büyüklügü,
Ne Kupa büyüklüdür
O'nun büyüklügü baska bir büyüklük iste,
ADI KONAMAZ.

Islam Cupi
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 17:31
International

Teams: Australia & Newcastle United
Quote:
Originally posted by warfalcon
Yeah it was us that caused 69 Italians die in the Heysel stadium...you are pathetic!
Here I was thinking that the old Bavarian legend of the eventual 'Kommen des ubermoron' (roughly translated, 'coming of the supermoron') was a complete myth, until you came along and fulfilled the prophecy.

"They picked on the wrong man - and the wrong country. It was like pouring petrol onto a fire as far as I was concerned.

There's an old saying that the dog that barks loudest never bites. They did a lot of barking but we bit them pretty hard. Uruguay's attitude just showed how scared they were of us - it was their last resort."

- Vincenzo Grella, Parma & Australia.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 18:47
Star Player

Teams: Chelsea and I love you - Champions
Quote:

Idiot... Go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

"Suck me beautifal"

- STIFMEISTER
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 18:58
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by JackoTheDon
Idiot... Go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.
Is that all you got....i thought you english had a better imagination!

Pathetic little sapsal...

Fenerbahce büyüklügü
Ne Kupa büyüklüdür
ADI KONAMAZ.

Islam Cupi

Last edited by Cengo; June 13th, 2003 at 19:03.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 18:59
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by dyertribe
Here I was thinking that the old Bavarian legend of the eventual 'Kommen des ubermoron' (roughly translated, 'coming of the supermoron') was a complete myth, until you came along and fulfilled the prophecy.

Please dont get me started......ill be expecting you in Istanbul!

Fenerbahce büyüklügü
Ne Kupa büyüklüdür
ADI KONAMAZ.

Islam Cupi
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 19:53
Rising Star

Quote:
Cenk, man lets not go there and serve to the purpose of spitroast's joining to the forums. (he joins after every NT game with different usernames). There is this reality we cant avoid : Our fans are causing troubles in int. games and league games. no turk can deny that... our TFF should do more to avoid these and not pointing to other nation's fans for an excuse.

Coming to the Macedonia game; it's easy to talk unless you watch the game, an idiot threw a plastic bottle after Macedon player did something to the fans after he scored. Compare to England game it's really nothing...
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 20:28
Star Player

Cool it guys.

There is a chance this could get out of hand, so I thought I better make myself heard on this one.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 21:46
International

Teams: Galatasaray
Come on guys. Throwing a plastic bottle at a player is not the worst thing that ever happened in the history of football, like some of you seem to think. Im sure you are able to see that.

Either Uefa should have punished both England and Turkey with stadium bans or none of you us should revieve a ban.
Imo none of the two countries deserved a ban, since the players and/or the fans were never in real danger.

Ive never heard of anyone who got killed or injured badly by a plastic bottle.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old June 13th, 2003, 23:45
International

Teams: gAlAtAsArAy
If I were UEFA, I would have forced Turkey to play beyind closed doors, throwing plastic bottles at players is not acceptable and should be punished at the most severe level.

However, seeing UEFA let go of England for what they did in Turkey game and letting them go as well, it would be extremely unfair to make Turkey play behind closed doors. That would be a ridicilous decision because both fanbs caused pitch invasions of different sorts and they should both be punished the same way which is closing the stadium so that everyone get their lessons and it never happens again.

Plagued By Xtratimelitis

One life, live it. Support GaLaTaSaRaY
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2003, 01:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
LOL!! this thread is too funny, the english fa are a bunch of nobodies, nothing will be done and your asses will come to Istanbul (hopefully Sukru Saracoglu) where you will deal with 50 G's of Turkish pressure on your backs. Stop trying to run, we came to England now you come here. The english fa, AHHAHAHAH!

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2003, 02:28
Premier Player

Teams: England, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by has

Turkey: Water bottle thrown onto the pitch after provocation.

Don't forget about these incidents

Attacking Manchester United fans and players in the early 90's and murdering two Leeds fans in 2000, police confiscating knives, hatchets and kebab cutters ahead of big games, gun-toting supporters firing into the air in the street after a match to celebrate their team's victory, killing innocent people watching the celebrations on nearby balconies.

Don't try to deny it because it's at this link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/704374.stm

I'm not trying to say that English hooligans are any better, but the Turkish ones are no angels either. Anyways lets hope it's mostly real Turkish football fans and not the hooligans who show up for the match in fall and that nobody gets hurt.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2003, 02:37
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC, Australia
Well done Jamal No set of fans can call themselves angels, but the facts speak for themselves.

EVERTON TILL I DIE

RIP Marc-Vivien Foe
:depress:
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2003, 06:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Eskişehirspor, Türkiye
Can anyone tell me where the leeds fans were stabbed??? you people seem to think it was inside the stadium or near it. The guy was not even a futbol fan he did not care for Galatasaray or anybody. So everytime you bring it up know this that it was NOT in the stadium, whatever though, everytime something comes out between english and Turks you always bring this up but what about the leeds thugs who beat that kid cause he wasn't white like them don't even start with the leeds fans themselves, or milwall, sunderland, newcastle. All with strong roots to racism and you can't deny these facts. Talk about stuff that goes on inside the stadium or at least in the parking lot. What is this now I hear that your fa refuses tickets to Macedonia, WHY?? Cause they want it to be trouble free, go to UEFA and read for yourselves. Guess why there will be no trouble? Because there will be no english fans.

1954-2006

Eskişehir'de Doğdum ESKİŞEHİRSPOR'LUYUM
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old June 14th, 2003, 07:11
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Turks Accuse England Of Exploiting Crowd Trouble
Turkey - England | Latest News | News Archive

Turkey in less troubled times, at last summer's World Cup (Allsport)
06/13/2003. Turkey coach Senol Gunes has further soured the relationship between Turkey and England by accusing the FA of using Turkey's crowd troubles during their defeat of Macedonia as an excuse to get October's Euro 2004 showdown with England played at a neutral venue.

In an inflammatory and somewhat paranoid statement, Gunes said England were afraid to play that vital game in Turkey, and were trying to take advantage of the crowd problems.

Uefa, European soccer's governing body, are investigating the disturbances that greeted Macedonia's second goal, when Turkish fans threw plastic water bottles and other objects onto the pitch. Turkey could be fined or ordered to play their next game behind closed doors, in an empty stadium without the support of their vociferous fans.

"England's biggest fear is to play the second match in Turkey," Gunes said. "It's a very ugly thing if you make a big deal out of this event, use referees, lobbies and Uefa in the name of competition. It shows the level England has fallen to."

The comments are ridiculous because although the FA are justifiably concerned about protecting their players after what happened on Wednesday, Uefa themselves have initiated the investigation without any prompting from London.

Macedonia's midfielder Sasko Lazarevski was struck on the head by an object after team-mates unfurled a Macedonia flag following a goal by Artim Sakiri that put the visitors 2-1 ahead within seconds of Turkey having equalised. The Turks eventually won 3-2.

Turkish riot police had to hold up shields to protect Macedonia players taking corner kicks.

The public address system called for calm in the stadium, warning about possible consequences at Euro 2004 qualifying match against England in October, though reports suggest that the stadium announcer was inflaming rather than calmiomg the situation with some comments.

That game in Turkey is expected to decide who will qualify automatically for the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal, though the other team could still get there via the play-offs.

Uefa spokesman Mike Lee said that the governing body would consider whether or not to penalise Turkey at a meeting next month.

"From what we've seen so far we think there's a basis for disciplinary proceedings," he said. "There were missiles thrown. That is absolutely a breach of regulations."

Following a stormy match between Turkey and England at Sunderland in April, England were fined and warned by Uefa about the behaviour of their fans and players. To avoid clashes between rival fans in Istanbul in October, the English FA had, before Turkey's game with Macedonia, already declined to take up their allocation of tickets for the game.

The venue for this match has not yet been announced.

soccerage

My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in