*Official* Crystal Palace thread - Xtratime Community
View Poll Results: Do you like this kit?
It's Nice 6 35.29%
It's Nasty 7 41.18%
It's Not My Problem 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 15:23 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Aalesunds FK & Crystal Palace
*Official* Crystal Palace thread

I thought I could make this thread for my favourite English club. I don't know how much I will update it, and since there are no other Palace fans here, it might be just a small thread.

Crystal Palace vs Man City

Finally, a Norwegian channel will show Crystal Palace again...as long as they are in the 1st division it only happens 2-3 times each year. Now with Kit Symons(the Welsh international) bought from Fulham yesterday, and new manager Trevor Francis(his second match) I am confident that Palace can get back to good form.

Today we will meet Manchester City, and it is guaranteed a very tough game. The stadium will also be full, especially since the City supporters help fill up the stands.(this is also why the match is delatyed for 15 mins..because the city fans arrived late)

A win for any of the teams will put them in an excellent position to reach for the top of the 1st division, City will even be close to a record, as they will have won 3 away matches in a row.

With Kolinko back, and Symons making his debut, I hope it will be enough for a win.

Last edited by Orange; October 25th, 2002 at 13:15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 15:32 Thread Starter
Legend

Crystal Palace's starting lineup;
Kolinko
Smith
Symons
Mullins
Edwards
Gray
Rodger
Kirovski
Riihilahti
Freedman
Morrison
post #3 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 15:55 Thread Starter
Legend

1-0 Dougie Freedman!!!!!!!! YES

It was a messy goal, but it was not entirely undeserved, as Palace has had at least as many good chances as City. Especially Gray has been fantastic on the wing, making lots of good crosses and dribbles.

Now Palace is defending heavily when City is attacking, yet they produce more chances than City, which probably means that the team will get very tired soon...I fear the worst, but hope for the best

post #4 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 16:08 Thread Starter
Legend

2-0 !!! INCREDIBLE!!! In a tight match, it is Palace that has been the lucky team. The second goal was scored by Kirovski. He fell/got tackled in front of goal at 5 meters at the same time as a long cross was coming in towards him. Just as he hit the ground he hit the ball, and by luck or by pure skill(unknown) the ball was impossible to save, and Palace got a great lead in front of the second half
post #5 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 16:46 Thread Starter
Legend

2-1 the best goal of the game. Phillips got a nice pass...from the edge of the box and in towards the right side of the goal, in speed he turned around and shot...a really good shot, but it was saved by Kolinko who let the ball slip, and Shaun Goater was there to put the ball into the net.

Last edited by Orange; December 8th, 2001 at 16:57.
post #6 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 17:21 Thread Starter
Legend

Palace won 2-1 after being pushed backwards the last 15 minutes of the game. This gave them a few counter attacks, but mostly it was Darren Huckerby and City that was running the show. It wasn't enough though

With the win Palace is just two points behind City, and have every chance of staying in the top.

Kit Symons was good, but not brilliant today, I hope he will show even better playing in the future.

Palace to the Premiership!!
post #7 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 19:18
Dan
International

Teams: FUTEBOL CLUBE DO PORTO
Yeah great result for CP!

Man City are a joke defensively sometimes and I doubt they will get promoted automatically....but Crystal Palace genuinely look like promotion material but theres a long way to go...will they last the distance ?

Tomorrow its Coventry v Watford...live on ITV in the London region for those of you in the UK

Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts.
post #8 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2001, 23:45
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Beitar Jerusalem, Liverpool FC, Israeli NT
Nice idea Orange, how about making this a Crystal Palace season thread ?

As for the game, crap...i was hoping City can start winning away again, but they didn't. i saw the highlights of the game and City's defence was a joke indeed. but at least Berkovic had a nice game, and was involved in City's goal too.

"Stop and stare...I think I'm moving but I go nowhere...."

:dielaugh:Beitar Jerusalem:dielaugh:

- Israeli Double Winners! League and State Cup Winners 2007/2008!

- 2006/2007 League Champions!
post #9 of 1163 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2001, 13:02 Thread Starter
Legend

I have been a Palace fan since 1985 and this is about the 5th-6th time I write a match review from a Palace match here at Xtratime. The problem is that even if I do follow them through thick and thin, I hardly ever see a match with them right now, and I also doubt that there are any other Palace fans here. But maybe it could work. Write some transfer news, match previews, thoughts about what I heard about the matches etc. At least one other Palace fan would be nice though
post #10 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2002, 15:09 Thread Starter
Legend

The Crystal Palace thread

I thought I could make this thread for my favourite English club. I don't know how much I will update it, and since there are no other Palace fans here, it might be just a small thread. However since I sort of miss writing about them, and I will watch two matches with Palace this coming week, I though this was a good idea. The last time I saw Palace on tv was at home against Manchester City when they won(I wrote a thread about the match), now Crystal Palace vs Watford(TV4) just started on Swedish tv, and next weekend I will see Manchester City vs Crystal Palace(again) on Norwegian tv(NRK1).

I won't write anything else now, since the match has started, but will try and write something after the match.

Crystal Palace Squad 2001/2002:

Number Name Position
1 Alexsandrs Kolinko Goalkeeper
2 Jamie Smith Defender
3 Craig Harrison Midfielder
4 Dean Austin Defender
5 Christian Edwards Defender
6 David Hopkin Midfielder
7 Hayden Mullins Midfielder
8 Simon Rodger Midfielder
9 Dougie Freedman Forward
10 Clinton Morrison Forward
11 Tommy Black Midfielder
12 Gregg Berhalter Defender
14 Stephen Thomson Midfielder
15 Aki Riihilahti Midfielder
16 Andrew Frampton Midfielder
17 Andrejs Rubins Forward
19 David Woozley Defender
20 Richard Harris Forward
21 Cedric Carasso Goalkeeper
22 Andrew Martin Forward
23 Stephen Evans Midfielder
24 Julian Gray Defender
25 Jovan Kirovski Forward
26 Trevor Benjamin Forward
27 Steven Kabba Forward
28 Tony Popovic Defender
29 Jonathan Boardman Defender
30 Danny Granville Defender
31 Matt Clarke Goalkeeper
33 Scott Gooding Defender
36 Kit Symons Defender
38 Curtis Fleming Defender
40 Wayne Routledge Forward
55 Ade Akinbiyi Forward

Last edited by Orange; March 9th, 2002 at 23:06.
post #11 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2002, 20:01
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
Palace 0-2 Watford

I think Palace are now too far down the table to make the play-offs, the top six are well clear, IMO only Preston have a chance of bridging the gap, solid win for them today at home to Rotheram.

I have to say im at a loss as to why Akinbyi was brought to the club, Palace had no problem scoring goals with Freedman and Morrison, your problem area is the back four, only now with Ade playing have you stopped scoring...strange.....

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95
post #12 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2002, 23:26 Thread Starter
Legend

Palace vs Watford

After continuous pressure from the home side, the first big chance came after 18 minutes. A cross from the left side, found Morrison on the 5 meter line, and all he had to do was put it into the goal. His somewhat poor shot was still deflected off the keeper and at 8 meters Dougie Freedman was prepared to put Palace ahead. He the shot past the keeper, only to hit a defender standing on the line, which resulted in a corner, that was a waste of time. After a few stumbling minutes from both sides, Palace again took charge, and in the 29th minute, the Watford keeper managed to pick up a backpass from his own defender, and an indirect freekick was correctly given to Palace at the 5 meter line. In the following freekick, the Watford defenders were already on the ball when Freedman made his shot, it looked wrong to me, but the ref did nothing. Once again it was all Palace, and the Swedish commentators was giving praise to the Palace players as much as they could, especially Hayden Mullins and Tommy Black seemed strong. It was then, just as my Liverpool supporting brother came in the door(I am visiting my parents this weekend) that Watford out of nowhere scored the leader on their first chance of the half....I couldn't believe it!! Marcus Gayle did some dribbling on the left side on the box, gave it to Glass who crossed the ball infront of the keeper, where Nielsen stood ready to execute it, 0-1. The first half was over second later, as Watford took the most undeserved lead I could think of at the time.

The 2nd half started with Watford shooting forward, and scoring on their 2nd chance of the match, this time through Gayle, who made it 0-2. The rest of the half was dull, with Watford having trhe slight edge. Akinbyi came in, and acted like a clown in attack. Once Morrison and Akinbyi was alone with one defender and the keeper, Ade had no little to no control, and the defender was between him and the keeper, but far from Morrison, the perfect chance to pass the ball, instead he shot 15 meters over the goal, as all Watford fans smiled. After that nothing happened, and we lost.

Akinbyi could be a good buy for the future mutu1875, but I understand what you mean, I still think we have a really good chance of making the playoffs, but then we need to up our game, and perform to the limit. Hopefull next weekend against City will be the change we need.

post #13 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 10th, 2002, 03:35
Star Player

Teams: Leeds United
FRANCIS WANTS TO SEE STRIKERS TAKE CHANCES

Saturday March 09 2002

Crystal Palace boss Trevor Francis wants to see his strikers take their chances after the 2-0 defeat at home to Watford.

Allan Nielsen and Marcus Gayle scored the goals for Watford.

But Francis was more bothered by his own side, who have now failed to score in their last four at home.

He said: "I'm bewildered by our inability to put the ball in the back of the net.

"We played some very good football in a swirling wind but failed to score and when you have players of the calibre of Clinton Morrison and Dougie Freedman you expect one or two goals from so many chances.

"But I don't think it's a question of confidence - their goalkeeper was the best player on the park, and the pitch didn't help."

"I'm assured that if the Fowler deal goes through, there will be no other players leaving..." Terry Venables
post #14 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 10th, 2002, 14:12
Star Player
Star Player

Teams: Everton FC, Australia
If anything, this season's seen a BIG improvement for Palace. Don't know if they're ready to get back up yet, but still that isn't shabby at all. Rodger and Freedman are the only players from Palace's previous Premiership adventures still at the club I see...
post #15 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 11th, 2002, 06:20
World Class Player

Teams: Manchester United
Last saturday i went to Blundell park to watch Grimsby V Chrystal palace, the result was 5-2 Grimsby completely out-played them..which is unusual

England the home of football.
MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
Fish are caught by there mouths, men by there word
post #16 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 03:21
Star Player

Teams: Leeds United
That is very unusual.

"I'm assured that if the Fowler deal goes through, there will be no other players leaving..." Terry Venables
post #17 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 15th, 2002, 07:15
World Class Player

Quote:
That is very unusual.
Yes Grimsby are sh1t. Last saturday i went to blundell park and they were 2-0 up half time against warsall...second half they played ok'ish 8 mins to go Grimsby gave up and warsall equalised.....If they get religated they loose the deal with ITV which would give them 2.5million and a new stadium. And religation looks enevitable now

i hate Grimsby!!!.

MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
post #18 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 22:54
World Class Player

Palace lost 1-0 to man city and Grimsby won 1-0 away at wolves....why cant we have a division one message board? :depress:

MUFC-The Religion.

Quote:
post #19 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 16th, 2002, 23:01
Xtratime Legend
Xtratime Legend

Teams: PAOK and Parma
Akinbiyi was such a lame buy... I mean, the guy proved at Leicester that he is utter crap... Why on earth did Palace spend so much money on him?

With moves for players like Akinbiyi Palace wont be in the PL anytime soon.

Love is the drug, and I'm a junkie.
post #20 of 1163 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2002, 00:10
International

Teams: Blackburn Rovers
I agree Amo, especially when they had two very good strikers already - Freedman and Morrison. I really dont get the logic behind buying Akinbiyi

THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST HAVE NO FUTURE

Champions of England, 1994/95

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in