LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 11:50 Thread Starter
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
EPL new foreign players mid-term grades

I always do this and I'm not one to break with tradition. Even if no one posts here anymore.

Shkodran Mustafi - Arsenal - 35m - Has formed a nice partnership with Laurent Koscielny and his recent injury coincided with a bit of a loss of form for Arsenal. Has always looked solid when I've seen him this season and looks a good signing - Grade B+

Lucas Perez - Arsenal - 17m - Hasn't featured much in the league to be fair. Had a nice hat trick against a substandard team in the CL. When he has played in the premiership he's looked badly off the pace and doesn't seem to have much of a first touch, but that might improve when he gets chance to adapt. - Grade D

Granit Xhake - Arsenal - 35m - A mixed bag really. He's scored a couple of screamers and has sprayed the ball around, but always seems to be on the verge of doing something stupid. He likes getting sent off and giving away penalties. My feeling is that given a bit more time he'll adapt to the pace of PL midfield battles and become a useful player. For now he's just been okay - Grade C

Lys Mousset - Bournemouth - 5,4m - I think he's had maybe 5 minutes of premiership football. - No Grade

Steven Defour - Burnley - 7.5m - Has been perfectly fine and slotted nicely into Burnley's midfield without ever really pulling up any trees. Seems to have adapted quickly and got on with it as Belgian players tend to do. - Grade C+

Marcos Alonso - Chelsea - 24M - I must admit I raised my eyebrows at his price when they bought him, but he's proved to be a highly important part of Chelsea's current winning run. Seems perfect for the LWB role in a Conte's formation and looks well worth his price - Grade A-

Michy Batsuayi - Chelsea - 33m - Is suffering due to the superb form of Diego Costa this season and barely getting a look in. He's managed to get himself a goal of the bench, but has been restricted to late sub appearances which he's failed to make much of an impact in. I think he still has a good future in English football, but it's hard to give him a good grade now and maybe he should have considered moving to a Palace or West Ham before Chelsea. - Grade D+

Eduardo - Chelsea - 1m - Will need an injury crisis to get a game with Courtois and Begovic ahead of him No Grade

David Luiz - Chelsea - 32m - Seemed like a desperation signing at the time, but has actually been the best centre back in the league (only Van Dijk is really even close to him) this season and one of the best players full stop. Conte has found him the perfect position where he can intercept and bring the ball out and where he can get away with it if he's a bit rash as he's prone to be. - Grade A

Steve Mandanda - Crystal Palace - 1.3m - Has been injured quite a bit and perhaps hasn't developed the understanding with his back four that he could have if he was fit. Still perfectly fine. - Grade C

Markus Henriksen - Hull - Loan - I can't really remember anything he's done really, the guy is on the pitch but seems to be completely invisible. - Grade D

Luis Hernandez - Leicester - Free - Has looked completely clueless whenever he's played. One paced, bad anticipation, poor tackling, poor distribution. - Grade E

Bastosz Kaputska - Leicester - 7.5m - Hasn't got on the pitch yet, will probably be loaned out to get some game time. - No Grade

Nampalys Mendy - Leicester - 13m - Got injured and hasn't been able to get back into the team, only played once. Leicester seem to be shopping for a new DM in January, which isn't exactly promising for Mendy - No Grade

Ahmed Musa - Leicester - 18m - Has shown flashes of potential, but hasn't managed to nail down an automatic spot yet. The pace and skill is clearly there, but he perhaps needs to calm down a little bit and play a bit more of a measured game as I'm not convinced he always knows what he is doing. I thought he'd do better, but at the same time I think he will improve - Grade C-

Islam Slimani - Leicester - 30m - Looks a really good signing. He hasn't scored a massive amount of goals yet, but he's been really good at holding up play and bringing others into the game. If he continues working hard and playing like he has been so far, the goals will come. - Grade B

Ron-Robert Zieler - Leicester - 2.7m - Has had more chances than expected because Schmeichel has been injured a lot. He's looked a little bit flappy and like he has a mistake in him at any moment. Schmeichel being fit makes Leicester look 10 times as solid defensively, which says a lot about Zieler. - Grade D
Kopite and BendigoJeff like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 13:51 Thread Starter
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Loris Karius - Liverpool - 4.7m - Hasn't been as bad as recent media coverage would have you believe. He is quite gaffe prone, but that goes for a lot of keepers and he's a bit of a victim of the media spotlight for me. - Grade C

Ragnar Klavan - Liverpool - 5m - This guy is just kind of there, he's obviously never going to be first choice, but he's done a perfectly respectable job when he's been required. - Grade C

Alex Manninger - Liverpool - Free - It was always obvious he was never going to play and shock horror, he hasn't. - No Grade

Joel Matip - Liverpool - Free - Has formed a solid partnership with Lovren, looks strong, composed, deals with the physical side of the game well. Looks a really good signing. - Grade B+

Claudio Bravo - Man City - 17m - Seems to have done the exact opposite of what he was bought to do. Rather than be the ball playing attack starter Pep thought he would be, he's a bad passing, panicky dude who likes giving the ball away as much as possible, if he can't do that he'll pass to a defender who's under pressure. Shot stopping wise he's been fine, but that wasn't what he was bought for. - Grade D

Ilkay Gundogan - Man City - 21m - Looked brilliant until he got injured, did everything expected of him and added goals into the mix too. Real shame he's out for the season. - Grade A

Nolito - Man City - 13.8m - Hasn't been able to establish himself as a regular, but he has looked like a dangerous option with goals on him. Has very nice timing of runs and is a good finisher, while also adding a lot to the build up play. Brings a lot to their squad. - Grade B

Leroy Sane - Man City - 37m - I think in a few years Sane will be looked at as one of the best signings of this window, but as of yet he hasn't really fully found his feet. He's drifted in and out of games, but there are recent encouraging signs and he could well explode in the near future as he has all the attributes to make a top premiership player - Grade C+

Eric Bailly - Man Utd - 32m - The future of Man U's defence, even if he's struggled to win his place back with Jones and Rojo forming a decent partnership at the moment. He's shown good strength, pace, anticipation, positioning and everything you need to be a good defender in this league. A future PFA team of the year regular, I think. - Grade B+

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Man Utd - Free - Everything he promised he would be. Had a little barren run, but outside that he's been a brilliant centre forward, strong in all aspects of the game. He isn't really that reliant on pace, so you feel he could have a couple more seasons at this level too. - Grade A

Henrikh Mkhitaryan - Man Utd - 26m - Took an age to break into the team, but now that he has he's started showing some strong performances. Will probably grow to a much higher grade over the second half of the season but for now he gets a Grade C+

Paul Pogba - Man Utd - 88m - A bit of a mixed bag, he hasn't dominated as was the general expectation, but he hasn't been poor by any means. Obviously there are certain standards to be met as the most expensive player in the world, though. He seems to be settling down well now and getting more confident and expressive, though he still needs to improve if he wants to become one of the elite players in the league. - Grade B

Antonio Barragan - Middlesbrough - 1.5m - Has actually been alright, the way Valencia fans talked about him I thought he was going to be awful, but he's been a solid defensively minded full back who's been very consistent in his performances. - Grade B-

Marten De Roon - Middlesbrough - 12m - Someone else I had down as a potential bust who's been okay. Nothing spectacular but puts a good shift in and keeps play nice and simple. - Grade C+

Bernardo Espinosa - Middlesbrough - Free - Good at keeping the bench warm, I don't think he's actually got on the pitch outside of the warm up. - No Grade

Viktor Fischer - Middlesbrough - 3.8m - In and out of the team and hasn't made much of an impact yet. Adama has looked much more dangerous out of the two. - Grade D

Jordan McGhee - Middlesbrough - Loan - I haven't heard a thing about him since he signed - No Grade

Alvaro Negredo - Middlesbrough - Loan - Has led the line pretty well for Boro, often doesn't get a great deal of support or supply, so has to work hard without a lot to go on. Gets through his work willingly and hasn't got a bad scoring record considering he's not playing for a particularly expansive team. - Grade B
Kopite and BendigoJeff like this.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 14:54
Rising Star

Good read.

Formerly Jeffrey, ILA etc.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 14:56 Thread Starter
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Sofiane Boufal- Southampton - 17m - Arrived injured and it was a few weeks before he played at all. Inevitably a few weeks of feet finding followed, but now he's started to look like he could become an integral part of the Saints side. His close control is brilliant, expecting a big second half of the season from this guy. - Grade C+

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg - Southampton - 12.8m - Has been perfectly fine, given a bit more time he could become a real key player for Southampton. He needs to impose himself on games a bit more than he has been so far, but he looks to have more potential than Clasie to me - Grade C

Jeremy Pied - Southampton - Free - Got injured early on and hasn't been heard from since. - No Grade

Bruno Martins Indi - Stoke - Loan - Had a bit of a shaky start when Stoke were conceding loads with Given in goal, but since Grant has gone in, he's looked much, much better. Probably good enough to earn a permanent deal. - Grade B-

Ramadan Sobhy - Stoke - 3.5m - Only 19, so can't be expected to make a massive impact. However when he has come on, he's looked a threat with good close control and dribbling speed. - Grade C

Javier Manquillo - Sunderland - Loan - Hasn't looked much better than he did when he was when he was at Liverpool. If there's a trigger point of games for Sunderland to have to sign him permanently, then they probably won't trigger it. - Grade D

Mika - Sunderland - 2m - Third choice keeper, I wouldn't recognise him if I sat down next to him on the train - No Grade

Didier Ndong - Sunderland - 13.6m - Another guy who is starting to find his feet. Has plenty of energy and gets about the pitch well putting tackles in, when he links up a bit better with people in possession, he could become quite a player. For now it's a Grade C

Borja Baston - Swansea - 15.5m - Doesn't look nearly enough of a threat for a player of that kind of price. Might be struggling with confidence/adaptation at the moment, but at the moment, pretty poor. Grade D

Mark Birighitti - Swansea - Free - Another random third choice keeper who has no chance of playing - No Grade

Fernando Llorente - Swandea - 6m - Tends to score in spurts but does a reasonable job of leading the line for Swansea. Still looks a threat in the air, but lacks a bit of pace. Grade C

Mike Van Der Hoorn - Swansea - 2.5m - Looks a bit of a mistake prone donkey to me, Swansea's CB options now Williams has left are horrific. - Grade D-

Vincent Janssen - Spurs - 18.6m - I don't think he's scored from open play yet, he looks bereft of confidence and nothing like his price tag. I still get the feeling that once he starts scoring he'll settle and do ok, but so far, so horrible. Grade D

Pau Lopez - Spurs - Loan - Yet another random 3rd choice keeper who'll never play - No Grade

Georges Kevin N'Koudou - Spurs - 10.5m - Only seems to play 3 minutes at a time, so I don't think it's fair to judge the guy. No Grade

Brice Dja-Djedje - Watford - 3m - Got injured before the start of the season and isn't in the registered squad for the league. No Grade

Christian Kabasele - Watford - 5.8m - Has offered a decent option for Watford to bring into their defence, but hasn't managed to dislodge any of the 3 starting CB's yet. When he does come in the level doesn't drop, which is a positive. - Grade C

Stefano Okaka - Watford - 4.5m - Didn't show very much until his very good brace against Everton, which he will be hoping will bring him more chances. Grade C-

Roberto Pereyra - Watford - 13m - Has looked pretty good, slightly overshadowed by the superior form of Capoue, but has recycled possession well and offered an attacking threat. Grade B-

Isaac Success - Watford - 12.5m - Has only appeared sporadically, but seems to offer a good outlet of pace and skill when he does. Hopefully he gets more game time in the second half of the season. Grade C

Juan Zuniga - Watford - Loan - Another guy who's done alright. Nothing really outstanding about him, but he gets up and down well and sticks to his defensive duties. Grade C

Alavaro Arbeloa - West Ham - Free - Has looked his age during his appearances this season, experience is great until it translates into being old and knackered. Grade E

Jonathan Calleri - West Ham - Loan - Hasn't looked like he could hit a barn door, West Ham will surely want to terminate his loan early if they can. Grade F

Sofiane Feghouli - West Ham - Free - Good at running down blind alleys without any idea of what his end game is, not so good at anything else. - Grade E

Edimilson Fernandes - West Ham - 5.5m - One of few bright spots for West Ham this season. Fernandes has been asked to play in quite a few different positions this season and he as applied himself well in all of them. Grade B

Arthur Masuaku - West Ham - 6m - A defender who doesn't seem to know how to tackle, or anticipate anything. - Grade F

Havard Nordveit - West Ham - Free - Slow and miles off the pace, doesn't look to grips with the league at all. - Grade F

Gokhan Tore - West Ham - Loan - One of the worst footballers I have ever seen. Gets the ball, tries a crap trick, loses the ball, repeat, repeat, repeat. - Grade G

Simone Zaza - West Ham - Loan - Seems to struggle to control a ball properly. Looks a little bit like me, but I assumed he wouldn't play football like me, turns out he does. Grade F
Kopite likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 15:06
Rising Star

Tore

Formerly Jeffrey, ILA etc.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 18:03
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Valencia CF
Yeah nice read.

Feghouli's been shit then, i wondered why i never see his name on their teamsheet.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2016, 18:26 Thread Starter
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

He's apparently being offered around on loan according to the mail, but they claim it's to teams like Swansea and Sunderland which doesn't make sense seeing as they are relegation rivals
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2016, 15:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: liverpool
v.good post Rob, interesting reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Loris Karius - Liverpool - 4.7m - Hasn't been as bad as recent media coverage would have you believe. He is quite gaffe prone, but that goes for a lot of keepers and he's a bit of a victim of the media spotlight for me. - Grade C
i see him did a decent work in the games he played. but sometimes media and fans would blame GK more than defenders for conceeding goals.

yea, he was the victim of media speically after LFC defeat to Bournmouth 4-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Ragnar Klavan - Liverpool - 5m - This guy is just kind of there, he's obviously never going to be first choice, but he's done a perfectly respectable job when he's been required. - Grade C
a very good sign by Klopp this season. he has been adapting himself quite well with the team and seems he's gonna be a strong contender to start games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Alex Manninger - Liverpool - Free - It was always obvious he was never going to play and shock horror, he hasn't. - No Grade
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Joel Matip - Liverpool - Free - Has formed a solid partnership with Lovren, looks strong, composed, deals with the physical side of the game well. Looks a really good signing. - Grade B+
indeed.

and we still wait a lot of the contributions from him in the red shirt.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2016, 16:21
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Rob

Agreed about Sane, I think he will be great.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2016, 19:17
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
That's the problem with West Ham this season, pretty much all their signings have been complete busts
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2016, 23:32
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Bravo has been awful stopping wise, not fine at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old December 21st, 2016, 23:56
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Hope you're right about Sane. Doesn't help that Pep plays him at wing back. Some games we've been crying out for him to be a wide forward but he's not been given much chance to play there so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:19
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Bravo has been awful stopping wise, not fine at all
he's a class GK, Joe Hart also was a class GK for the City. i think the defense line has to be blamed too in many games tbh

Last edited by Kopite; December 23rd, 2016 at 06:27.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2016, 13:47
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Bravo is a talented keeper but he has been woeful so far and brought nothing to the table. I'm sure he'll come good, but he's not been good at all so far.
Kopite likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2016, 23:11
International

Teams: Liverpool, Srbija,
Good thread

Think Klavan and Matip have been great signings, especially Matip on a free.

From what i've seen of Nolitio which admittedly isn't much has hasn't looked that good, lost at times. What's his position exactly? Inside forward? Out and out winger?
Kopite likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2016, 05:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
Good thread

Think Klavan and Matip have been great signings, especially Matip on a free.

From what i've seen of Nolitio which admittedly isn't much has hasn't looked that good, lost at times. What's his position exactly? Inside forward? Out and out winger?
indeed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in