Xtratime Community banner

Where's the next English football "maverick"

3K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Zincubus 
#1 ·
Down the years this country has produced some great footballing talent, players often worshipped by their clubs, and often treated with suspicion by the rest of the country.

Players like Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson, Rodney Marsh, Peter Osgood and Charlie George :proud: from the 70's, then on to players like Hoddle, Barnes and Gascoigne. The last one I would say there was, would be Matt Le Tissier.

Where is the next one? Or does British football not appear to have room for these players anymore?

#4 ·
Marc: Josh McEachran :D

I thought Adam Johnson was going to be the next Arjen Robben. Now he's at Sunderland and might get locked up.

#6 ·
Yeah, to much emphasis on being a team player for these types of players it seems. I find it quite sad.

I really thought Adam Johnson was going to be a great player at one time.

Whatever happened to Josh McEachran? Was a great player to sign on FIFA if you was a championship team a few years ago :D

#9 ·
Yeah, Ake, Bruma, Jody Morris etc

Ryan Bertrand is fortunate he got picked up by Southampton though. Had a decent season.

As for Josh, benchwarmer on loan at Vitesse Arnhem. Might get to see him in 2 weeks time when they face Feyenoord at de Kuip.

#11 ·
So, if we do produce this type of player, there more likely to end up in prison, than on a football pitch :D

#14 ·
He wouldn't end up in prison either, thoroughly nice chap is our Will :D

#15 ·
Hughes is another example of a player being shackled by responsibility for the team. The amount of times he gets played as a defensive midfielder so he can't go out ns fully express himself has become a disappointment to me. A player like him needs the shackles taking off and just be allowed to do his thing.

#16 ·
Thinking about it Tom Ince is more of a "maverick". Gets criticised for not working hard enough, and chasing back etc but has great talent on the ball, needs to progress that ability he's shown in the championship, into the premier league though.

#18 ·
He becomes more loveable when he's scoring goals for your team though. Especially when the rest of said team are playing like a bunch of useless *****...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.