England - Youth Team - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 251 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2010, 23:10 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: England
England - Youth Team

A thread to discuss the up and coming players of the future for England, who do you think we should watch out for from your club? Or just in general, and of course the youth team results/fixtures.

The main prospects from my point of view:

Jack Wilshere

Height: 5ft 7"
Position: CM

Although playing rather shit lately, the guy undoubtedly has bags of talent. A late blooming version of Cesc hopefully, an eye for goal and very good technical ability with the ball especially in passing. Needs to focus a lot more, looks like another Richards in that he gets a lot of praise, goes to his head, becomes a cocky little knob and thinks everything will just fall in place for him. And the massive thing going against him is he is an Englishman trying to make it at Arsenal!! Poor lad.

Victor Moses

Height: 5ft 9"
Position: AM

Well I bigged him up since seeing him as a 14/15 year old and he hasn't let me down, although I expected him to move to a premiership club and be a regular at this age. He hasn't actually had the best season, only really coming alive in the last few months but it has sparked all kinds of weird and wonderful rumours such as going to Barcelona or Real Madrid. Completely silly of course, the guy should goto Sunderland or somewhere to get games and establish himself as the main man. Very similar player to Anderson back when he was good, and will have a problem in England like Anderson. This guy gets played as a winger, which if you followed him is just... nuts. He is a number 10 or AM all over, his eye for a final ball and ability to drive at defences with a bit of skill setting him apart. The worry I have is the progression in this country again, the boy at 14 looked a bit like Ronaldinho and pulled off some insane skills. Yet has slowly been replaced with a bulky physical specimen as we like to do here. Will never be that player now unfortunately but hopefully will mould his game to that of Kaka, and if he can become half as good then we're on to a winner.

Daniel Sturridge

Height: 6ft 2"
Position: ST

Sad story for this player, if you watched Rooney and Sturridge at the same ages. Sturridge was by far the better player, his touch and technique was absolutely ridiculous and a vision with the ball to match. Unlike Rooney no one believed in him like Moyes, giving him games at a young age to give confidence and show the world what he could do. Simply put, the talent wasn't trusted with the likes of Vassell or whoever blocking his way. He went to pot a bit, lost a bit of that young daring that says "Yes, that ball may be almost impossible to control and should just be let go... but fvck it. Oh wow, I scored.". Its doubtful he will ever come back to that same level he displayed. Going to Chelsea could turn out ok if he gets a run of games and an arm around the shoulder, we'll see in the coming weeks. I don't think it will happen though, he needs to and will hopefully end up going to a midtable club. A club again like Moses he can prosper and grow into the player his potential showed. That seems to be the only true route for English youth to prosper.

I will add more in future, contributions and opinions most welcome however.

Come visit us in the England Forum

Follow XtraTimeOrg on Twitter

" Marc, ok you won" - Calcio100

I am the circle and the circle is me.

Shall I then fear the tone
That breathes from world's unknown?
Surely these feverish aspirations there
Shall grasp their full desire,
And this unsettled fire
Burn calmly, brightly, in immortal air. - Felicia Hemans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 (permalink) Old January 15th, 2010, 23:46
International

Great thread Marc, congrats being made an FM as well
post #3 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 14:56 Thread Starter
Legend

Cheers matey, any youth talents we should watch out for from Reading?

Haven't heard about Jonjo Shelvey at Charlton for a while, hopefully they go back up to the Championship.

Well Sturridge getting a run of games quickly vanished, Carlo with a firm twitchy eye over developing young English players. What an absolute plonker going to Chelsea.

And this unsettled fire

post #4 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 14:59
Legend

Teams: Manchester United, Inter
If Welbeck in the future gets chances for United to play up top, I think he will turn out alright. Whether that is England class, remains to be seen.
post #5 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 16:45
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Cheers matey, any youth talents we should watch out for from Reading?
James Henry should have been one, but due to the management at the club and his change of attitude can't see him fulfilling the early potential showed.

Apart from that Alex McCarthy on loan at Yeovil looks rather promising, regarding anyone from the youth team its hard to tell as the promising ones haven't followed through on that promise (Peter Castle, Darren Campbell being just 2 in the last 10 years)
post #6 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 20:28 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drito View Post
If Welbeck in the future gets chances for United to play up top, I think he will turn out alright. Whether that is England class, remains to be seen.
I assumed with you guys buying Diouf, that was Welbecks career at Old Trafford sealed.

I remember at the WC U17's he was quite good, his movement off the ball was very dynamic and played the smart and easy pass. At U21 level he has looked pretty average however.

Speaking of the U17 WC, Moses scored today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Dee View Post
James Henry should have been one, but due to the management at the club and his change of attitude can't see him fulfilling the early potential showed.

Apart from that Alex McCarthy on loan at Yeovil looks rather promising, regarding anyone from the youth team its hard to tell as the promising ones haven't followed through on that promise (Peter Castle, Darren Campbell being just 2 in the last 10 years)
Hadn't heard of him, had a quick look around and his scoring at Millwall seems quite good for a midfielder. Not sure about him playing for the Scots though, dodgey.

Haven't seen him either, need to watch a few more lower league games. Although I thought Matty Fryatt was going to be the next Gary Lineker for a while, can't believe he ended up going to Leicester City too.

And this unsettled fire
post #7 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 20:49
Legend

Teams: Liverpool
Moses is like 19, why is he playing in the under 17's.

lucas21
post #8 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 21:00
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
He means he scored for Palace today. Moses has like 10 goals in 9 games now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #9 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 21:46 Thread Starter
Legend

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more clear. Moses played with Welbeck at the U17 World Cup many moons ago.

I don't think he has that many goals, although that reminds me; I should do a little profile on Adam Johnson.

And this unsettled fire
post #10 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 22:05
Legend

Oh sorry, my bad.

Amazing goalscoring record.

What about Delph, never seen him play but he's meant to be a massive talent.

Martin Kelly, from Liverpool, is being played at right back but has a big future at center back, future Liverpool captain I think.

lucas21
post #11 of 251 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2010, 22:16
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Ask lafad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #12 of 251 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2010, 04:48
0-1, Huth.
International

Moses scored quite nice goal against Argyle. It's only a matter of time before he leaves Palarse. And seeing that they are skint, they can hardly demand silly money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I don't think he has that many goals, although that reminds me; I should do a little profile on Adam Johnson.
Been going about him for a long time. Earlier in the season, and even now to an extend, Middlesbrough were practically a one-man attack. Goals and assists left, right and centre. If it wasn't for him, they'd be languishing further down the table than they already do. 9 goals and 5 assists from midfield.

I'm very surprised no Prem team like Villa or Everton took a pun on him.

If Carlsberg did forum signatures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I dont belive in jinxing mate, I do belive in playing at home with a 2-0 advantage against a team which I cant see scoring 2 goals!:
Nottingham Forest 2-5 Yeovil Town

May 2007
post #13 of 251 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2010, 14:37
Legend

He's available on a free in the summer isn't he? Johnson that is.

lucas21
post #14 of 251 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2010, 17:01 Thread Starter
Legend

Adam Johnson

Height: 5ft 9"
Position: LW

Been doing fanastic for Boro with lots of goals and assists. I really like the way he plays, always thinking 3 steps ahead, very intelligent with the ball, normally takes the right options for the better of the team. But also not afraid to attack a player. The thing that works against him is he simply isn't that fast and is a bit light, so if you're not fast you generally have to be strong to push people away. At U21 level he has looked awesome at times, one goal against Ecuador I think it was where he pulled off a goal similar but better than Gazza's against scotland.. pure genius. I hope he gets his move and gets to play at the level he deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM Online View Post
Oh sorry, my bad.

Amazing goalscoring record.

What about Delph, never seen him play but he's meant to be a massive talent.

Martin Kelly, from Liverpool, is being played at right back but has a big future at center back, future Liverpool captain I think.
Delph is like the English Aquilani, although not as injury prone yet. Take that as you will. Nah, he is decent but he does not fit the Villa system at all. Basically a midtable team needs to play a certain style to fit in the likes of Bostock and Delph. As they're not your typical box to box midfielders. For the U21's he has been alright.

And yeah, Johnson is available on a free, although I find it hard to believe no one will offer a fee now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibril View Post
Moses scored quite nice goal against Argyle. It's only a matter of time before he leaves Palarse. And seeing that they are skint, they can hardly demand silly money.

Been going about him for a long time. Earlier in the season, and even now to an extend, Middlesbrough were practically a one-man attack. Goals and assists left, right and centre. If it wasn't for him, they'd be languishing further down the table than they already do. 9 goals and 5 assists from midfield.

I'm very surprised no Prem team like Villa or Everton took a pun on him.
Haven't seen the highlights yet, if you know a good place for them? Warnock said that was his last game for the club and they had tabled some offers. So any day now I guess.

Yep, always liked him. At youth level I talked about him being better than Downing, which got strong disagreement funnily enough.

And this unsettled fire
post #15 of 251 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2010, 17:21
JD
Legend

Tom Cleverley? He's done quite well for himself at a Watford side in disarray.
post #16 of 251 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2010, 09:29
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
what's cocky about Wilshere, sounds like someone is believing what they read in the tabloids?

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #17 of 251 (permalink) Old January 26th, 2010, 09:31
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Arsenal of course
by the way, what happened to Bostock?

Di Stefano - the South American Wilshere!
post #18 of 251 (permalink) Old March 24th, 2010, 22:46 Thread Starter
Legend

Jack Rodwell

Height: 6ft 2"
Position: DM

Had to write something after his recent contributions. You can tell the guy doesn't bottle it, doesn't hide, looks to make his mark on every game and the bigger the better. Like a young English Kaiser, except obviously more 'grit'... ok not quite but he has potential to be a world class DM. I say DM as he is far too good a ball player to be just a CB, and his goal scoring and intelligent use of the ball may even see him end up as a CM. More of a CM than Essien for example. The guy seems to have seriously bulked up lately too as he is knocking people off the ball for fun yet has retained a deft touch. I hope Everton can keep him, or what I mean is Moyes can keep him as he is an excellent manager and should try to follow him if one of the big 3 take a look at him. Look forward to seeing his progress. People like him and Cattermole need to go on the plane to SA over the likes of Barry who can't even put in a performance at home in a must win game. They're proper ballwinners and not what to do with it when they have it.

Jern - You're an Arsenal fan, cocky for you is being a d!ck by other people's standards. I don't read the tabloids, sometimes read the metro if the van driver wakes up early enough.

And this unsettled fire
post #19 of 251 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2010, 00:09
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #20 of 251 (permalink) Old March 25th, 2010, 01:27
Premier Player

Teams: Manchester United
Rodwell is amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in