post #41 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 17:50
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I bet on Capello calling Warnock and Bridge personally. 3 months would mean Cole having little playing time before the World Cup. Tough times for him.
I think it might work in our favour and he'll be fresh, personally. Wouldn't mind Gerrard getting a sneaky month out at some point, that dude looks tired.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 17:51
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Groves View Post
On MOTD Saturday they said Charles N'Zogbia now eligible for England, i'd take him over every winger England got.
I think Lennon might be a bit better.

I think Arteta can play for England soon, him I would pick if I didn't disagree with it ethically.

post #43 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 22:05
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Apparently Hart will stay at Birmingham next season on loan again. Good news for the senior team I guess, but he should be our number one next season if Given continues his current form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass

post #44 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 22:16
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Bendigo Braves (women)
Nah, Hart is not the goalie Given is. All GK's make the odd mistake. If Given were English I'd be over the moon. You're not scrutinising Birmingham like you are City, Hart hasn't been flawless this season, despite being brilliant most of the time. I'm not saying he isn't an amazing goalie (Hart), I want him to be England's keeper during the WC. But I wouldn't choose him over Given over the course of a season.

Without it gravity is just gravy.
post #45 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 22:43
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Given has been poor since Mancini took over. I'm not just counting the mistake against Stoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #46 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 22:57
JD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit? View Post
I think Lennon might be a bit better.

I think Arteta can play for England soon, him I would pick if I didn't disagree with it ethically.
Why are you against it ethically? Not trying to take the piss, but your cricket side are quite happy to do it with apparently little outcry. As soon as it comes to football it seems to be a different story. Why is this?
post #47 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 22:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Kieswetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #48 of 891 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2010, 23:56 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: England
TGO - Fair shout, I have been off on Mancini's first eleven reasonings so far.

On the point of Given, a lot of your players have been poor since Mancini took over though. Given is a better goalie than Hart by far, although I am really hoping Hart can stay this consistent and perform to this level for years to come. If he can then we will finally have a world class keeper after all these years. And he can take a pen for us too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Why are you against it ethically? Not trying to take the piss, but your cricket side are quite happy to do it with apparently little outcry. As soon as it comes to football it seems to be a different story. Why is this?
Because no one gives two shits about cricket unless we're beating the Aussies.

Having Hargreaves in the team is a massive embarassment as a nation when we should surely be better than that with our population, history and pride. I am fairly sure Pietersen has more pride in England than Hargreaves does however, so a little less grating.

Can't believe I forgot Lennon. Point is however we have better players than Chuck and even if we didn't I'd prefer we invested in our ENGLISH youth. Unless we are getting Di Stefano then I really don't see the point.

Come visit us in the England Forum

Follow XtraTimeOrg on Twitter

" Marc, ok you won" - Calcio100

I am the circle and the circle is me.

Shall I then fear the tone
That breathes from world's unknown?
Surely these feverish aspirations there
Shall grasp their full desire,
And this unsettled fire
Burn calmly, brightly, in immortal air. - Felicia Hemans
post #49 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 00:44
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Bendigo Braves (women)
I don't give two shits about cricket, ever.

Without it gravity is just gravy.
post #50 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 00:48
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

England B beat England today. A good day to be English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #51 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 01:17 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I don't give two shits about cricket, ever.
Then you obviously have no aussie friends or don't work with any aussies. Suddenly a sport you never cared about before becomes really important for you to win. :frustrat:

One thing worth bringing into football from cricket is that they realise Wales shouldn't get its own team. We should stop pretending they have their own country and show the world we own them.

Come visit us in the England Forum

Follow XtraTimeOrg on Twitter

" Marc, ok you won" - Calcio100

I am the circle and the circle is me.

Shall I then fear the tone
That breathes from world's unknown?
Surely these feverish aspirations there
Shall grasp their full desire,
And this unsettled fire
Burn calmly, brightly, in immortal air. - Felicia Hemans
post #52 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 02:12
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal
Whilst i'd pick N'Zog for wide left, he has played well this season wide right, i'm not a big fan of Englands wingers, Young dont cut inside and attack the goal with enough threat from the left, wide right he alright. Johnson possibly even less deserving than a Frenchman given he played about 20 Top flight games. I like Milner, i wanted him to go to the last World Cup, his hard working attitude and versatility a plus but i dont think dribbling, never mind running past someone with pace a strong point so unless he scoring he dont offer any more in an attacking sense. Lennon just frustrating, he routinely abused Evra in the worthless cup last year but his play so accelerated his stumpy legs and crap technique means crossing the ball in the air just dont seem to happen whilst his shooting non existent. A good, naturally left footed winger is what England have needed for about 20 years, isnt Michael Owen Welsh?
post #53 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 06:45
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:

Because noone really cares about cricket. It is ridiculous that people like Hick played for England, tho. Rugby is even worse, we end up with Tongans and shit playing for us. it's ****ed up, if we ain't good enough getting players in from other countries doesn't prove anything.

I'm kinda iffy about Hargreaves playing for us because i think of him as Canadian, never mind Arteta, Almunia, N'Zog or whoever.

post #54 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 06:47
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Michael Owen was born and raised in England, I don't see how he's Welsh.

post #55 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 11:04
JD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liternit? View Post
Because noone really cares about cricket. It is ridiculous that people like Hick played for England, tho. Rugby is even worse, we end up with Tongans and shit playing for us. it's ****ed up, if we ain't good enough getting players in from other countries doesn't prove anything.

I'm kinda iffy about Hargreaves playing for us because i think of him as Canadian, never mind Arteta, Almunia, N'Zog or whoever.
Imagine an English cricket side with Pietersen, Kieswetter, Trott, Lumb (the true South Africans) and Prior and Strauss (those who moved to England at a relatively young age).
Jacques Rudolph will play for you lot at some point as well. Taking it too far imo.
post #56 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 12:07
Rising Star

Teams: Arsenal
This was stolen from some Michael Owen website, he technically not Welsh at all but he could have been i suppose.

Michael Owen was born in Chester on the 14th December 1979. Although being born in England Michael spent all his childhood in Hawarden, in the Welsh County of Clwyd. Michaelís love of football developed in a happy and hard-working family environment shared with his brothers Terry and Andrew and sisters Karen and Lesley.

Although Michaelís father Terry had an illustrious football career spanning over a period of 14 years with clubs such as Everton, Bradford City and Chester, he never pressurised Michael to follow a similar path. In fact, his father first encouraged Michael to enter the ring at Hawarden Boxing Club, believing it would hold him in good stead for the future. It soon became apparent that it was on the football pitch where Michaelís interest lay. By the age of seven Michael was playing for local club Mold Alexandraís U10ís side against bigger and stronger boys. His determination and strong will is exemplified at this early age when in his first full season he scored 34 goals in 24 games. This success continued after being selected for Deeside Schools, beating Gary Speedís record for youngest player to be selected and Ian Rushís record of most goals in a season. Michaelís goal-scoring feats continued at Hawarden Rangers and St Davidís Park attracting much interest from league clubs around the country.

Numerous clubs were courting Michael, among them was Manchester United Youth Director Brian Kidd, who was eager to sign him after watching Michael score six second half goals for his school team. However Manchester United could not follow up their interest following FA regulations restricting the distance a boy could travel. Michael visited many other clubs including Arsenal, Everton, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest. In the end it was Liverpool who Michael and his father believed was the right choice, after hard work from youth director Steve Heighway who had been monitoring Michael for years. The club had arranged for the Owen family to go to games and supplied Michael with football boots during the early years. Michael signed apprentice forms with Liverpool at the end of 1990.

At his new club, Michael was considered to be one of the most promising young players in the country and consequently was selected to join the FAís School of Excellence at Lilleshall. Michael valued his time here immensely and blossomed under the direction of head coach Keith Blunt. Playing alongside him at this level were Wes Brown, Michael Ball and Jon Harley, all of whom went on to play Premiership football. This intense soccer-training programme was invaluable to Michael, and he relished the opportunity to learn and improve every aspect of his game, both technically and mentally. Michaelís goal scoring continued for the England U15ís where he netted eleven goals in seven games. His success was recognised when he was selected to play in the FA Youth Cup for Liverpool at the age of 16, unusual for a player so young. Michael had a blistering run of goals, scoring two in the fourth round and a hat trick in the next round to knock-out defending champions Manchester United. He scored three times in the two semi- final legs and went on to lift the 1996 FA Youth Cup final when he scored in the final in front of 20,000 fans. At the same time, Michael also managed to pass all of his 10 GCSE exams.

Nearing the end of his time at Lilleshall, it was time for Michael to consider his professional future. Although a bond had been established with Liverpool, his father believed it would be advisable to accept a few invitations to visit other clubs to extend his education. Michael visited Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal, meeting Alex Ferguson, Glenn Hoddle and George Graham on the way as well as looking at Oldham, Norwich, Man City and Everton. Liverpool however stood out from the crowd, mainly due to the three youth coaches Michael had previously worked with, Steve Highway, Hughie McCauley and Dave Shannon. Michael signed a professional contract for Liverpool on his seventeenth birthday in December 1996 and only five months later he would be appearing in the Liverpool first team.
post #57 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 14:22
Star Player

Teams: Millwall, Juventus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Groves View Post
Whilst i'd pick N'Zog for wide left, he has played well this season wide right, i'm not a big fan of Englands wingers, Young dont cut inside and attack the goal with enough threat from the left, wide right he alright. Johnson possibly even less deserving than a Frenchman given he played about 20 Top flight games. I like Milner, i wanted him to go to the last World Cup, his hard working attitude and versatility a plus but i dont think dribbling, never mind running past someone with pace a strong point so unless he scoring he dont offer any more in an attacking sense. Lennon just frustrating, he routinely abused Evra in the worthless cup last year but his play so accelerated his stumpy legs and crap technique means crossing the ball in the air just dont seem to happen whilst his shooting non existent. A good, naturally left footed winger is what England have needed for about 20 years, isnt Michael Owen Welsh?
I think you are being a bit harsh on the wingers.

Ashley Young is a top winger and he does cut in plenty from the left. He is very quick and very good one on one, he has a great cross and is a very good finisher.

Milner is very good allround and his workrate, as well as his versatility make him someone who should be in the squad.

Aaron Lennon can be unstoppable or invisible. He is so fast and so strong one on one, but I do agree his final ball isn't very consistent at all. He out of the 3, who I wouldn't be sure about in my squad.

On the leftback issue, all 3 have different strengths. Wayne Bridge is the weakest defensively but the best going forward. He has a very good cross and always seems to put in a solid shift. I really like Warnock, he just gives his all for any side, he is in, and is the most solid of the 3 defensively but he does offer the least threat going forward.

I do agree that I think Baines should be in the squad though. He works very hard up and down the line, is solid defensively as well as a threat going forward and has a brilliant shot on him.

Go to the Coaching Thread

Link-https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4366994#post4366994

The Dream Team Project

https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=251243
post #58 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 19:15
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Imagine an English cricket side with Pietersen, Kieswetter, Trott, Lumb (the true South Africans) and Prior and Strauss (those who moved to England at a relatively young age).
Jacques Rudolph will play for you lot at some point as well. Taking it too far imo.
Plus there's players like Joyce and Morgan. And Mascherenas and Geraint Jones are questionably English/Welsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Quote:
post #59 of 891 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2010, 20:57
JD
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Plus there's players like Joyce and Morgan. And Mascherenas and Geraint Jones are questionably English/Welsh.
Yeah didn't even think about them.

New Zealand are doing it as well now, stealing South Africans for their national side. It's alright though because they're taking all the shit ones.
post #60 of 891 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2010, 01:11
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right On! View Post
Geraint Jones was born in Papua New Guinea, raised in Australia and then moved to Wales.

Cricket is brilliant anyway, less of the slagging!:smileani:

When is the squad announced?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in