Is XT on the verge of death? - Page 2 - Xtratime Community
 213Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 00:18
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post
Who's to blame? What can be done? Is XT on the verge of its death? I can't imagine new posters being attracted to this place and more and more old posters will start losing their interest to post here. If nothing is done I think no one will post here in a few years.
There are many reasons.

Back in 2006 XT lost its placing on google coz there were server probs. It pretty much disappeared overnight. So newbies were unheard from for years. We took the decision to be blocked from google coz the priority was to keep the members we had.

In 2007 the forum was sold to VS and moved to a new server. But it took a year before we allowed google spiders back. It was Waldo who pointed it out.

Over the next year XT didn't get it's high placing on google back. I think this really damaged the future of XT.

Also during this time VS staff were useless in making updates and changes. In 2009/10 the staff got together and thought of ways to get the forum back or start fresh. We pushed VS hard and eventually we got cooperation. Things were happening and the forum started to get back ontrack!

However, smartphones started to become popular and people started to stop using forums and moved to twitter and facebook. Or just lost interest! and there were no newbies to replace them.

Then VS completely gave up, no updates for years. Just parked the forum and forgot about it (unless they were adding new adverts!)

So I always say one day it won't be profitable for VS to run the forum and they'll just delete it! But anything can happpen.

If anyone is seriously worried they should give the owner a serious offer for the forum. You can then update it and advertise it etc. Could be a good investment if you know what you're doing.
Fobal klub and Jeffrey like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 00:51
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
I'm still not quite sure how Twitter works lol.
szövkap and Bobby Cialtron like this.
post #23 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 01:34
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Bendigo Braves (women)
Haha, same :reza:

Without it gravity is just gravy.

post #24 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 01:42
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
Twitter is still an American only thing for me.
szövkap likes this.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #25 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 01:44
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldwho? View Post
Haha, same :reza:

Good summary Bentex
Bentex likes this.
post #26 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 02:02
Legend

Teams: Juve, Italy, USMNT
Twitter is great for news and personalized topics.

You can do things on a forum that you can't on Twitter (but you've more access, greater reach, and more content on Twitter, and overall Twitter is better), so I don't really see the two as substitute products. Unless you're a part-time footie fan who's only bothered to use one or the other.
post #27 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 02:49
Canonized
Xtratime Legend

Teams: TIMAO & Selecao Canarinha
i still use the old format

xt is becoming extremely boring... so is football.
champions league is a borefest

not looking forward to the copa america or the euros.

before i use to get excited, not anymore.
El Lobo and Bobby Cialtron like this.
post #28 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 04:56
Legend

Teams: Juve, Italy, USMNT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze da Fiel View Post
i still use the old format

xt is becoming extremely boring... so is football.
champions league is a borefest

not looking forward to the copa america or the euros.

before i use to get excited, not anymore.
Does it partially have to do with Liverpool and Brazil not doing so well?

Life is good as a Juventino.
post #29 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 10:29
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Inter; Stoke
IS might make the Euros more 'exciting' at least.
post #30 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 10:57
Rob
A true hero
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Hull City Tigers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
There are many reasons.

Back in 2006 XT lost its placing on google coz there were server probs. It pretty much disappeared overnight. So newbies were unheard from for years. We took the decision to be blocked from google coz the priority was to keep the members we had.

In 2007 the forum was sold to VS and moved to a new server. But it took a year before we allowed google spiders back. It was Waldo who pointed it out.

Over the next year XT didn't get it's high placing on google back. I think this really damaged the future of XT.

Also during this time VS staff were useless in making updates and changes. In 2009/10 the staff got together and thought of ways to get the forum back or start fresh. We pushed VS hard and eventually we got cooperation. Things were happening and the forum started to get back ontrack!

However, smartphones started to become popular and people started to stop using forums and moved to twitter and facebook. Or just lost interest! and there were no newbies to replace them.

Then VS completely gave up, no updates for years. Just parked the forum and forgot about it (unless they were adding new adverts!)

So I always say one day it won't be profitable for VS to run the forum and they'll just delete it! But anything can happpen.

If anyone is seriously worried they should give the owner a serious offer for the forum. You can then update it and advertise it etc. Could be a good investment if you know what you're doing.
TBH at some point they'll probably give it away, I can't imagine they make much money on it, if any. If it starts losing money then they'll want shot of it.

Maybe at that point we can all club in for hosting costs in some kind of socio arrangement.

post #31 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 11:10
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Bursaspor, Turkiye
I feel like Reddit has contributed to the death of forums just as much as Twitter. The overall decline of forums is pretty evident. But, for certain things, I feel like they have grown in popularity/use. For instance, car enthusiast forums on the whole are probably more popular today than they were 10 years ago. But, I also feel there is a lifetime for each specific forum. Since Mazda announced that they wouldn't be bringing back the Mazdaspeed version of the 3, the activity on Mazdaspeedforums has started to decline (since 2013, which was the last model year).

This is just my opinion/my experience though. There are a lot of factors involved, and I think you guys mentioned it here as well. The type of content plays a big role in my opinion. I like forums because they are more close-knit and the members tend to have more prolonged and deeper discussions about various topics. It may not be the best medium for the consumption of the latest news events, but the discussions on forums are typically not shallow/done at a high level like on Twitter, Reddit, etc.
Inácio likes this.

Adı Aşk Bu Eziyetin
post #32 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 11:13
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: Bursaspor, Turkiye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post
Making tapatalk work would be a big step forward. I don't visit often any more because the forum isn't available on tapatalk (I mean the topics participated in part because that's the most important function on tapatalk). In this age where most people surf the internet on their mobile phone I can imagine that's one of the main reasons so many people stopped posting.
I'm posting this from Tapatalk right now btw.

Adı Aşk Bu Eziyetin
post #33 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 13:24
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Netherlands
It all because of the old owner, whom we, except for Boyo, don't know!

My weekly rant!

27th May 1965: Over 16,000 days.

"For a moment there I returned to my youth, the early youth, when all nice illusions were gathered together. Then life came and, like a strong wind, blew them away, one by one. What we call happiness is sometimes the accordance between our life and circumstances, our biography and history, our personal aspirations and historical currents. If I look at things that way, I can say: I was born too early to be happy. But birth is one of the many things we do not get to choose. It is part of our destiny."
Alija Izetbegovic

"وما الحيله فقد اراد اعدائي ان يغطوا كل خدماتي بغطاء اسود وقد نجحوا في ذلك."

عبد الحميد الثاني
post #34 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 14:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
I barely post on here now I have a decent phone, seems like a faff to get my laptop open. The decline of the MCFC forum was selling Dzeko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #35 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 14:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Manchester City, West Didsbury & Chorlton AFC
Also I mainly use Twitter for talking about football (down with the kids innit). I'm also jaded as I've come to the conclusion that most football fans on here are complete idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Of course you need TGO you retards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutu
ill be honest, im plastered but i well into that women and she was me and i lost her ass
post #36 of 429 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2016, 14:31
CULT OF PERSONALITY
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: MANCHESTER UNITED, Shillong Lajong FC.
Post update, I lost interest in the forum.
Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele10brazil View Post
She told me again she loves me , and I said I love myself too
post #37 of 429 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2016, 05:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
Posters like jamestb should be banned honestly, look at the amount of threads with "last post by jamesbh" he's the most boring poster and sadly he's a very busy poster and having to wade through loads of his contributions really makes XT much less enjoyable than it otherwise could be. Unfortunately posters can't be banned for being lousy posters, they have to do something like post a nipple or a dog turd or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #38 of 429 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2016, 19:17
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & Spain
I don't have proof but i felt like the forum was super active before this hideous new design and outlook was implemented. I remember the XT Lounge forum for example was lively and popping (especially with the sheep and Mafia games) but then out of the blue (pun totally intended) the design was changed and its not user friendly at all so im assuming it drove away some people.

Im not completely blaming this entirely on the new design but i really do no look it at all and it surely had something to do with this sudden inactivity. Some forums have literally zero posts in months and it's a shame because there is alot happening in the footballing world.

VIVA ESPAŃA Y HALA MADRID :fero:
post #39 of 429 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2016, 20:54
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdob View Post
It all because of the old owner, whom we, except for Boyo, don't know!
It's not coz of the previous owners. I know or known all of them!

Put it this way, if it wasn't for the first owner this site never would have been created. Then if it wasn't for the 2nd owner the forum would certainly be dead just over 10 years ago.

None of the previous owner's did much wrong. They saved the site and should be thanked.
Tigerheart likes this.
post #40 of 429 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2016, 21:17
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
TBH at some point they'll probably give it away, I can't imagine they make much money on it, if any. If it starts losing money then they'll want shot of it.

Maybe at that point we can all club in for hosting costs in some kind of socio arrangement.
This never works. Just causes arguments! XT needs one owner who treats the forum as their baby.

I'm sure VS make a profit, albeit not as big since the decline. One day they'll just turn it off coz it's not viable anymore. But I can see a future!...

I see two options:

1, Someone buys the forum and runs it themselves. Upgreading the forum to keep it up to date with the times and new tech.

2, VS give us an agent who is here 3 or more times a week. They can do the updates the staff ask for. Also fix the bugs etc. If the staff don't agree on what changes to make then it goes to a vote and the vote is final.

The agent maybe has 7 or 8 more sites. But that's all they concentrate on. Rather than having 3 or 4 different agent admins who pop into XT and there is no communication between them.We need someone that understands our needs and understands our vision to make XT up to date and busy with quality members.

We don't want to be talking to an agent for a week and they disappear then the new agent needs to be brought up to speed from scratch! If we had someone regular there will be progress.

Regarding hosting Rob, many places will offer it free in exchange for ads. This forum was hosted this way for years. So if there is a buyer out there worried about this someone else can do the server work if you can't. Plus I would help if needed!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in