Xtratime Community - View Single Post - Is English football in a sad state?
View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old September 21st, 2015, 13:13 Thread Starter
Deano
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Roma, Arsenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I wouldn't mind NT players coming from the Championship if they were good enough, no. The Dutch NT gets players from it's own league, and outside the top few teams the quality is probably worse than the Championship.

The premier league prides itself on having the best players in the world. Only so many of those players are English. For the ones that do make it, playing against top international players week in, week out should improve them as players themselves. For a central midfielder for example, even against lower table teams they will be tested against the likes of Cabaye, Van Ginkel, M'Vila, Song, Kouyate, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Fletcher, Gueye, Capoue, Inler etc.

It's the perfect proving ground, and someone like JonJo Shelvey, is capable of raising his game to accommodate that. If the player can't raise his game to get to that level, are they good enough anyway?

And we had no foreign players in the 70's and 80's, dominated Europe and the national team was still shit.
Even still it is just nonsensical that someone English can accept their own league being less than 30% English. That's all I am saying!

That's why the EPL for me, is going downhill. Just all media hype.

Very little about the English premier League these days is actually English. The players, the coaches, the owners... just about still got English referees for now.

XT Italian Prediction League Winner 2012
XT Serie A Fantasy League Honours
Xt Coppa Italia: 2009/10
XT Supercoppa Italiana: 2010, 2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome