Xtratime Community banner

Is English football in a sad state?

2K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Madman 
#1 ·
The days the transfer window is one of the biggest parts of English football is the day that it has officially become a circus. Transfer window has come and gone, yet still several fans over the country are talking about it, with either optimism or regret.

These are the same fans that ask to 'save grass roots football' yet when it comes to the transfer window they contradict themselves by asking for more money to be spent and splashing out on expensive foreign players from abroad.

The more and more foreign players come over, at over the odds prices nowhere near their real value, the more and more young academy English players get left out in the cold, mostly ending up in Non-League or prison for possession of drugs once released from their club at the ages between 16 and 19.

Obviously I may be overstating this, and I know the saying goes 'If they are good enough, they will make it'. This however is never further from the truth, some players get better with age, some with experience at the top level, both of which we can never see if players are consistently get loaned out to lower divisions or as I stated before, released at a young age because there is no way into an oversized squad.

This whole sorry state of affairs is a vicious cycle which will only lead to England and perhaps other countries in a similar state (Italy) getting worse year on year. The transfer market is a huge attraction, with big stores for the papers to sell, and fans getting sucked in to the whole furore. In the long run though it is just a circus in what many would see as a ultimately predictable end. Money rules the world, and it now rules the heads of the fans who support the clubs. National team football now comes second, but that does no good for this beautiful sport in this now modern country.

See less See more
#42 ·
Shakira was terrible in his time at Inter.

I see the squad assembled us currently paying dividends to Stoke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.