U21 EC playoffs Slovenija - Holland - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2005, 08:12 Thread Starter
International

Teams: SLOVENIJA & Arsenal
U21 EC playoffs Slovenija - Holland

I belive our youngsters deserve this thread as they are for the first time so close to making it into the big competition. They had the best ever qualifiers to finish second in the group and will now face the young Dutch team in the playoffs.

Here is the list of players selektor Branko Zupan called up for the historical attempt:

Keepers:

Čelofiga Sebastjan CMC Publikum/Dravinja
Handanovič Samir Udinese / Treviso

Defenders:

Bečiri Erdžan Maribor PL
Hadžič Damir CMC Publikum / FCKoper
Ilič Branko Domžale
Jokič Bojan ND Gorica
Kelhar Dejan CMC Publikum
Morec Mitja Sturm
Škrbina Luka FC Koper
Šuler Marko ND Gorica

Midfielders:

Brečko Mišo Hansa Rostock (GER)
Božičič Saša Maribor PL
Matič Darijan Domžale
Pečnik Nejc CMC Publikum
Stevanovič Dalibor Domžale
Urbanč Dejan CMC Publikum
Žinko Luka Factor

Forwards:

Birsa Valter ND Gorica
Burgič Miran ND Gorica
Ljubijankič Zlatan Domžale
Robnik Dejan CMC Publikum
Zatkovič Mitja Primorje

No doubt the Dutch are the favourites, but our young team is a good team as well and I belive they are not without chances. We have some good young players like Brečko, Morec, Stevanovič, and of course the great Gorica forward duo Birsa/Burgič who is in a fine form lately.

So, lets whish our young team all the best and hopefully they'll make it to the EC.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2005, 16:29
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Yes, our team is good, but as you said, the Dutch are favourites in this one. Our boys have come a long way so far, so let's hope for the best. Knowing little about the Dutch U21 side, I'd like to ask our Holland based friends (monte or Drulo) if they could give us an overview of their side.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2005, 06:34 Thread Starter
International

Sure the Dutch are big favourites, I mean knowing who Holland are in world football and that they always produce some of the worlds best footballers. I'm hoping for something similar to those fairytail days of our golden era.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2005, 22:26
Rising Star

Hope you guys win.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old November 10th, 2005, 23:29
Premier Player

a hard match, but i think anything is possinle, since our boys ll give 120%...

Go SLOVENIA
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2005, 07:45 Thread Starter
International

Stevanovič is still doubtfull for the match. It will only be clear late saturday or even on matchday if he'll be able to play. In the meantime Ljubijankič is defenetly rulled out for the first match.

There's guite a big interes for the game, the stadium in Celje has allready sold out the main stands and are now thinking about opening the south stands too. In Holland though, they have allready sold out their stadium which holds 20000+ in Heerenveen.

The match from Celje will also be live on TV, whille the rematch won't.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2005, 11:46
Legend

Damnit, I was ready to go to Celje, but it turned out that we have a football match to play on Sunday, so I wouldn't arrive there in time, thus I have to see the match on TV...

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2005, 12:35 Thread Starter
International

Too bad man.:irritate:

Anyway, just want to whish all the best to our young guns on sunday again!

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2005, 15:31
World Class Player

Hey guys, I'll try to give some info about this Dutch team

Klaas Jan Huntelaar (striker, Heerenveen, no9) will be the main man to watch for your guys, as hes got a very good technique and fightingspirit on the pitch. He's also done well recently so he's in form. His feeder from the left will be Feyenoord's Castelen (the no. 10 on the pic). This guys got pace and can be brilliant but is not a constistent good player. He'll be hard to catch for your defenders though. His replacement can be OWusu Abeyie from Arsenal, strong and fast guy as well but lacks discipline and has funny sometimes useless movements in his body. On the right we'll most likely see the guy pictured on your tickets, Celta de Vigo's Daniel de Ridder. He's an Ajax product so schooled to play on the wings. De Haan may prefer Feyenoord's Vincken to play on the right, cause that guy also played there during the U20 WC. I really couldnt tell you which one of them is better, I think I'll give the edge to Vincken as he's faster. Neither is worldclass ala Robben or Van Persie.

Rasta man Emanuelson wont play in the mid as he's transferred to the big Oranje, same goes for other youngsters such as Maduro Vlaar and Babel (all of those guys did play in the WC U20 last year so its a plus for you that they dont play). You wont have to worry about a van Persie or Robben either. Other good players that deserve to be mentioned are Zuiverloon (no. 8) from Feyenoord but now loaned to RKC where he's doing well, he is good defender, or defensive mid. Drost, from Heerenveen (not on the pic) is another good player, he's wanted by PSV BTW, AZ's De Zeeuw (no.3) and Utrechts Tiendalli (no.2) are decent players too from what i've seen, Tiendalli is a regular in Utrechts team so he's got rhythm. Keeper Boy Waterman (heerenveen) is ok but still very young and not 100% reliable. He's got footskills though which is a plus... dont know if Vermeer was selected as well but IMO he should have been as he was ok during the junior WC.

Dont know what you think of this list but IMO its a good squad. The team is known for losing to minors though, or better put not known for super results so anything's possible, dont put yourselves in the underdog position.

You'll play the away match in Heerenveen as Walter stated, you may have noticed that this U21 has some of their players but it is also the home of Foppe de Haan, the coach. A perfect stadium for a match like this and the fact that its sold out means our guys will have great support. You need to beat them in Slovenia, which IS possible, and then you'll definitely have the chance to beat the Oranges at their home.
Good luck
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2005, 22:00
World Class Player

my apologies, castelen will play for the senior squad, not the juniors.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2005, 03:23
Rising Star

Have faith in your selves Slovenians I know you can do it.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2005, 10:54
Rising Star

Beat those Dutch mercenaries good and proper.

Slovenija grej naprej!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2005, 15:36
Star Player

Teams: DINAMO & CHELSEA
Forza SLOVENIA...

Where is slovenian young player from Milan, i cant remember his name... he don't play or what... injury?

i think that dinamo were intersted for Dejan Robnik for a while...

Football champion!
Live stream Live streaming
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2005, 16:43
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
you mean Sandro Bloudek ?
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2005, 23:32
Premier Player

Tomorrow ---> a hard match...anyway...today a great win from SCG over CRO....in nine 3:1....great result but the 2nd leg...the serbs ll play without Krasnic, who was man the best player on the field (along with Vucininc who scored a hat trick)....
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 07:12
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Teams: In Immers we trust
Congrats on the 0-0 hope you can finish it off in Holland next wednesday
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 07:57 Thread Starter
International

Well, 0:0 is a really good result for us, it could easily be 2 or 3 :0 for the Dutch if it wasn't for the phenomenat Handanovič. He was super yesterday. The others fought well too, but it was more than obvious that the Holland team is far superior to ours. So, realisticaly, id a miracle doesn't happen, I can't see us winning over there.

But as they say, hope dies last, and in football anything is possible. So, young guns, go for it!

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 08:48
Star Player

Handanovic heroics deny Dutch
Sunday, 13 November 2005

by Martin Pavcnikfrom Ljubjana

e-mailPrint

Slovenia had goalkeeper Samir Handanovic to thank after he kept the Dutch at bay with a series of stunning saves to leave the UEFA Under-21 European Championship play-off tie finely poised.

Stevanovič sidelined
A regular with the senior national team, Treviso FC goalkeeper Handanovic was drafted into the Slovenian side as they sought to secure their first ever appearance in the U21 European Championship finals. Indeed, they have never before reached the play-offs but despite missing Dalibor Stevanovič through injury, Branko Zupan's side did not shy from their more illustrious opponents as they ended the match on the attack.

Heerenveen hopes
The home team spent much of the first half on the back foot in Celje, however, and had Handanovic to thank for making a string of superb saves to deny a Netherlands side that had racked up 15 goals in their last five qualifiers. "We were not brave in the first half," said Handanovic. "But in football you have to try and we did so in second half. I hope we will play better in second match." The return leg is in Heerenveen on Wednesday.

source: uefa.com
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 11:23
Legend

I agree with Walter, it's obvious that Dutch team have more quality, so they were in control even at the game played in Slovenia. Thus, we probably don't have many chances in the return match. But... If Handanovic will be as great as he was yesterday and if our boys put in such a good defensive performance, anything can happen. But realistically, I don't expect us to qualify.

And before I forget, many thanks to monte for a valuable report on Dutch team.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old November 14th, 2005, 11:43 Thread Starter
International

Yes, Handa was really spectacular yesterday. He showed again that he's a great keeper - I hope he get's a chance again soon in Treviso.

Other than that, you are right, the team played well defensively, and that's what they should do over there too. Play hard, physical game and not allow them to do too much of their stuff.

I almost forgot though. What did yo think of that late incident in the Dutch penalty box. To me it was a clear foul on Šuler and a penalty should be given. But I mustn't complain too much though, becouse as I said, by than we could be allready out and finished.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in