Olimpija's financial crisis - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 12:29 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Teams: Udinese, SevillaFC, Gorica, ManCity
Olimpija's financial crisis

from uefa.com

Olimpija troubles
Olimpija have had a tough winter with Cimirotic, Anton Zlogar, Boštjan Cesar, Blaz Puc, Fausto Budicin, Branko Ilic, Nedim Jusufbegovic, Darijan Matic and Janez Aljancic all departing the financially-troubled club. Third in the league, the capital team will continue with a squad of young players and loan signings, and may even concede top-flight status in the summer, opting for a rebirth in the style of ACF Fiorentina.

February 25

Financial problems
Olimpija, meanwhile, have suffered increasingly from financial problems over the last few years, and the club's mounting debts have forced the issue in recent weeks. Olimpija, who are currently third, eleven points behind Gorica, have lost several players to other Slovenian sides and are rumoured to be preparing to announce their withdrawal from the league.

Famous name
One possible solution is for the club to receive financial help from the city of Ljubljana, but that looks unlikely and the most likely outcome would have the team starting again in a lower division. Olimpija's demise would be a significant setback for Slovenian football, as they were the country's most consistent performer when Slovenia was part of the former Yugoslavia and won the first four league titles after independence was granted in 1991.

January 25

Slovenian championship can't lose a big name as Olimpija...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 14:31
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Yes it can, and it certainly will. That's because the city of Ljubljana doesn't give a sh!t about football.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 14:53
Star Player

Sad story, but there are a few things I don't understand:
1) How did they get in such deep trouble in the first place?
2) A few transfers are mentioned but where did e.g. Cesar go?
3) Why didn't these transfers bring in enough cash to fill the gaps until a recovery plan (if there ever was anything of the sort) was put into action?

The argument of Ljubljana having tradition and a past is irrelevant when it comes to the economic health of the Slovenian league. It just fits in the overload of emotions and sentimentality that seems commonplace in football, but at the same time often blocks out common sense more than is healthy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 15:49
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Quote:
Originally Posted by binswhacker
Sad story, but there are a few things I don't understand:
1) How did they get in such deep trouble in the first place?
Well, first they were ran by a couple of bastards that were only interested in transferring as much club money as possible into private pockets (such a poetic equivalent for the word stealing, isn't it? ). Secondly, general public in Ljubljana seems to be more interested in other things/sports than in football. Not surprisingly, Olimpija had one of the lowest attendances in the whole league. Although their stadium can accomodate up to 10.000 people, I don't think that the average attendance was over 1.000. Thus, there was not much interest from the sponsors in the team either. But I think that the city council, who decides which sport societies receive what share of funds from the city budget, did next to nothing in promoting football as well. I mean the fact that the new national stadium project is literally dead, speaks a lot about their interests.

Quote:
2) A few transfers are mentioned but where did e.g. Cesar go?
I think Cesar returned to Dinamo Zagreb as he was in Olimpija on loan (I am not 100% sure about this though).

Quote:
3) Why didn't these transfers bring in enough cash to fill the gaps until a recovery plan (if there ever was anything of the sort) was put into action?
These transfers were not real transfers. Since the players didn't get their wages for few months, their contract was voided. By the slovenian FA rules they were entitled to join any other club, without Olimpija receiving a single euro for their transfer. I think Olimpija is now lead by a group of people that are supposed to perform a recovery, but I haven't heard much news about what they are doing since they came to power.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2005, 16:38
Star Player

So in short, it's the classic story of a club living above it's standards for far too long and now paying the consequences. And the sad part is that the new people in charge seem to have next to nothing to build on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2005, 06:50
International

Teams: SLOVENIJA & Arsenal
OAnimal said it pretty good, Olimpija is a "victim" of incompetent bastards, or should I say, competent for their own good. The club was left to die on it's own, noone cared for it, for the players so it's actually a surprise it didn't come to this some time ago.

If we still want to see Olimpija play football it would only be apropriate if this current clus was dismissed and than a new Olimpija to be founded and start their way up in the lower leagues.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in