The return of Katanec in the NT?? - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 13:37 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
The return of Katanec in the NT??

As it was mentioned by NZS (James) in another thread, after Zlatko Zahovic confirmed that he will no longer play for our NT, the rumours were spread that our FA could change our NT coach and bring back Srecko Katanec, who coached our NT to its greatest successes, qualifying for Euro2000 and WC2002. I am not sure how much reality there is in these rumours, but let's assume they have some basis.

I like Katanec a lot, I think he is great coach and great motivator. In two years, he transformed the NT, who was only able to obtain a one single (1!!) point in the WC98 qualifiers in the group with Denmark, Croatia, Greece and Bosnia, to the team that qualified for the next major tournament, Euro2000, with basically the same players. I do not know of any similar achievement in the world. His NT also played with a lot of heart, never gave up and was not afraid of anyone. In the Euro2000 preparations, we went to Paris and were cold-bloodily leading 2:0 against the world champions at the half time. OK, at the end we lost 3:2 allowing the French to score in 90th minute, but this was mostly due to our players lack of fitness, when compared to the physically very strong opponents (the same thing happened then to Italians in the Euro2000 final, which only confirms the quality of the team we used to have under Katanec).

But I still think it's a bit too early to bring Katanec back. The memories of the Korea disaster are still there and there are still some players from that time in the NT, Although Zahovic and Pavlin (two main acters in the dispute versus Katanec) quit. Also, Siljak (our best player in the Euro2004 qualifiers by far) is not really a friend with Katanec and our left back, Amir Karic also announced to quit the NT if Prasnikar is about to leave. So, we could lose four key players from the last qualifiers and with the poor pool of players we have, there could be serious troubles ahead.

Maybe I am wrong, but I would stick with Prasnikar for another two years. In the end, he was close to taking us to Euro2004 (just imagine if that Acimovic shot from 40 yards in the first minutes of the match in Zagreb, when Croatian goalkeeper miskicked the ball, would go in like against Ucraine in 1999). It is unreallistic to expect that Slovenia would now qualify for every major tournament, so although Katanec im my opinion is better NT coach, Prasnikar did well too.

In the end, I won't be disappointed in any case. If Prasnikar stays, I am fine with that and if Katanec comes, I am fine with that too.

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 13:58
Star Player

I dont care who coaches us. But I do hope that no more players retire, not now. We have already lost Zahovič and Pavlin's chances of going are 95% This is one of my worst days, it is horrible :fero: No more ZZ in our team
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 19:56
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by NZS
I dont care who coaches us. But I do hope that no more players retire, not now. We have already lost Zahovič and Pavlin's chances of going are 95% This is one of my worst days, it is horrible :fero: No more ZZ in our team
Let my veterans go....

When is their time, if not now?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2003, 03:23
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by zeleni jurček
Let my veterans go....

When is their time, if not now?
Well, maybe after our qualifications for the WC06. :depress:
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2003, 03:33
Legend

No no NZS, let them go now.

Can't you see what happened to us when our veterans hung around too long?

Btw - you guys got one of the 2 easiest WC06 groups.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2003, 13:31 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrija PFC
No no NZS, let them go now.

Can't you see what happened to us when our veterans hung around too long?
The problem is that you had better players than your veterans, but I am not sure if our situation is the same. :depress:

Quote:

Btw - you guys got one of the 2 easiest WC06 groups.
I hope you are right.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2003, 19:15
Rising Star

Kdo ve kaj je kvaliteta?

Vsakič sproti ko grem s kom v tržnico, me praviloma, če je ta oseba starejša, ta opomni in skuša prepričati, da edino on in njegova tehnika garantira da bo izbral pravo sadje. Kot selektor "ulice" tako šlata in ugotavlja kako in kakšna je prava hruška, paradižnik itd. Niti ne ve odkod so, zato mora vedno misliti na vse slabe strani: Tveganja izbiranja.

Torej kako vedeti da boš našel odličen paradižnik...

in kako v takem primeru vedeti, dragi OAnimal, da se ne da najti še boljšega...?

Meant to translate it, but who cares... Least you would know what I wanted to say.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2003, 21:25
Legend

OAnimal, no offence to your team, but I don't think quality was ever Slovenia's greatest attribute. What you achieved you achieved mostly through hard work and team spirit (and you got a little luck as well in return). If someone like Katanec can be there again to create such an atmosphere, I think Slovenia will do well regardless of the players.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 01:11
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Srbija, Crvena Zvezda
Yeah, I agree with Andrija.
Katanec would be good for your team.

NIKO NEMA STO SRBIN IMADE

SAMO SLOGA SRBINA SPASAVA
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 08:01
International

Teams: SLOVENIJA & Arsenal
I agree with you OAnimal. Who can forget what Lucky did for our NT, he made us what we are now. A footballing nation! I never enev wanted Srecko to leave but things that happened happened. It can't be cahnged.
I never thought I'd say this, but I aslo think it's too soon for Srecko to return. As much as I'd like him too, it's too soon. At this moment it would mean to big of a change. If he'd come back what would happened to Šiljak, Karic to the team?
So I'm in favour of Prašnikar in this case, if Prale has to ba changed than it sould be by someone else. I only whish the best for our NT, and I honestly don't know waht would bringing back Katanec mean.

If he comes back though, he has my full support!

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 09:39 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrija PFC
OAnimal, no offence to your team, but I don't think quality was ever Slovenia's greatest attribute. What you achieved you achieved mostly through hard work and team spirit (and you got a little luck as well in return). If someone like Katanec can be there again to create such an atmosphere, I think Slovenia will do well regardless of the players.
I agree with you, but you still need some quality players to achieve good results. Only hard work and team spirit is not enough, otherwise me and Lojze Peterle could play for the NT.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 13:51
Star Player

Has Srecko made any comments at all relating to the coaching job?? Or is it all just media saying he may return ??
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 14:22 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by NZS
Has Srecko made any comments at all relating to the coaching job?? Or is it all just media saying he may return ??
I think he did not say anything to the media, since he hasn't spoken to slovenian media since he left the NT. All this may well be a media speculation afterall.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots

Last edited by OAnimal; December 8th, 2003 at 14:46.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 14:34
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by OAnimal
I think he did not say anything to the media, since he hasn't spoken to slovenian media since he left the NT. All this may well be a media speculation afterall.
Well, I think we shouldn't be getting to far ahead of ourselves If he hasn't said anything at all then we shouldn't start talking about getting rid of Prasnikar. Better to have someone coaching than no one
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 14:54
Rising Star

Since in Slovenia is such an anti-Parle atmospfere that is almoust impossible to work normaly under these condition so I think Prale should leave. Who ever will come is not going to have an easy job so good luck to anybody...
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 17:35
Rising Star

Reprezentanca
Srečko Katanec znova selektor Slovenije?
"Po informacijah nekaterih zelo zanesljivih virov, ki so blizu družini Katanec, je Srečko Katanec praktično že novi selektor slovenske izbrane vrste. Dogovor med predsednikom NZS Rudijem Zavrlom in njim naj bi bil namreč že sklenjen, manjkal naj bi le še podpis pogodbe," v današnji izdaji piše slovenski športni časnik Ekipa. Ali to pomeni, da se tvorec največjih uspehov slovenskega nogometa vrača?

If this wasn't from ekipa i might actually believe it...
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2003, 06:30
International

Fantastic I don't think it's anti Prašnikar atmosphere, I think generaly people are not satisfied with the way we ended our play offs, and yes they blame the selektor for it, it just happens to be Prašnikar. So I don't belive it's personal, you know how it is, the coaches are the first under fire when something goes wrong.

Ner, you said it man, if the article didn't come from the mens Lady, it would be so much more belivable.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2003, 09:17
Rising Star

Oh, please! He was convicted even before qualifications! They tryed to riped him apart but he shouted them up after the game in Trst!
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2003, 10:00
International

Look, I won't lie, I never even wanted Srecko to leave in the first place. Also I admit that I was sceptical about Prašnikar when he took over the NT. Once he was selektor though, I was supporting him, anything else just wouldn't be right. And yes I have criticised him for some very poor performances we made, but also never denied him the appriciation he deserved after some great showings.
I think this is a very normal thing to do, don't you?

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2003, 10:40 Thread Starter
Legend

I completely share Walter's thought about this issue.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in