Zlatko Zahovic quits the NT! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 13:12 Thread Starter
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Zlatko Zahovic quits the NT!

In the interview with Delo newspaper, Zlatko Zahovic confirmed that the game against Croatia was his last in the NT. He scored 34 goals for Slovenia, which is a record that will be difficult to break. Although I blame him for the dispute with Katanec in WC02, there can be no denying that he was our most important and influential player in Euro2000 and WC2002 qualifiers and brought to Slovenian people something, that before year 1999, nobody dared to even dream of - playing in two major football championships. He should be remembered for this as the pioneer of slovenian football awakening. He helped to make us feel like a football nation, he helped us to experience those unbelievable moments of joy and happiness when our team got a 1:1 draw in Kiev against Ucraine, which qualified us for our first major tournament in our short football history. Although he didn't play in the decisive matches against Romania in WC02 qualifiers, he was part of that team, he made it possible for us to even get to play against Romania (specially with his 90th minute free-kick against Yugoslavia, I will always remember the explosion of joy from people in the stadium when he scored) and I will never forget those surreal moments when me and my friends drove from Bovec to Brnik airport after the Bucharest match and seeing that unbelievable long queue of vechicles that were driving from Ljubljana to Brnik to see our heroes who were returning from Bucharest. Anyway, every nice thing has to end some day, and so is ZZ's playing for the NT. All I can say is, thank you ZZ, for everything you have done for us, specially the feeling of being a football nation, of being a respectable football NT is something that cannot be matched by any money or any other thing, it is something you have inside your heart and that cannot be erased...

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old December 6th, 2003, 13:35
Star Player

:depress: Zlatko Zahovič has retired from our National Team This is the day I dreaded for so long. Zlatko Zahovič was our greatest player, he was my favourite player and I will never forget what he did for us for as long as I live. He did so many great things for the Slovenian National Team. He showed us how to succeed as a nation and helped us to qualify for the worlds two largest footballing events. He was our inspirational Number 10, and he scored many important goals for us. Even as his time with the NT was coming to an end, and he began to perform less like the Zahovič we knew, he was still by far one of our best and most important players. Now I don't look forward to these WC Qualifiers. I have no idea how we will be like without Zahovič. As he leaves, many questions arrive . . . Who will step up for us and be the player he was? Who will take our free kicks like he did? He will wear our Number 10 jersey? Who will be our next Zahovič?

I cant believe he has left, and I wish this day never came. But as that famous saying goes, "All good things must come to an end", Zahovič 's time with the NT has expired. I wish Zahovič the best in everything he does, and I thank him for everything he has given the Slovenians around the world. Thank-you Zlatko Zahovič for everything :depress:
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2003, 03:32
Star Player

Zahovič odhaja, prihaja Katanec?

"Dvomov ni več. Čaka me le še pogovor s selektorjem," je glede svojega (ne)nadaljevanja reprezentančne kariere povedal številka 10 Zlatko Zahovič. Uradno potrditev novice bomo skušali dobiti tudi sami, neposredno od nogometaša samega, ki ga jutri čaka tekma v gosteh pri Pacos Ferrieri. 32-letni Mariborčan je sicer najboljši strelec slovenske izbrane vrste vseh časov (34 golov), zbral pa je tudi največ nastopov (76 nastopov).
Dodajmo še, da nam je uspelo izvedeti, da naj bi predsednik NZS Rudi Zavrl vendarle razmišljal o zamenjavi Bojana Prašnikarja. Verjeli ali ne, bojda naj bi že bili vzpostavljeni kontakti s Srečkom Katancem!

Zahovic bows out for Slovenia

Slovenia's most-capped player Zlatko Zahovic has retired from international football.

Record scorer
The playmaker won the last of his 77 caps in the second leg of Slovenia's UEFA EURO 2004™ play-off defeat by Croatia, having made his debut in November 1992 against Cyprus and scored a record 34 goals. He took part in the final tournaments of UEFA EURO 2000™ and the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

'No more doubts'
"My decision to stop playing for the national team is final," Slovenian newspaper Delo quoted the 32-year-old SL Benfica player as saying on Saturday. "There is just a conversation with the coach still to be done, but there are no more doubts."

Tough group
His nation's next competitive outing will be next year when the 2006 World Cup qualifiers begin. Slovenia have been drawn in Group 5 with Italy, Scotland, Norway, Belarus and Moldova.

Zahovič se še ni odločil

Kot je v svoji dnevnoinformativni oddaji poročala RTV Slovenija, naj se Zlatko Zahovič še ne bi odločil o tem, ali bo zaključil svojo reprezentančno kariero ali ne (sklicujejo se na telefonski pogovor z nogometašem samim). Izjava, ki jo je podal Delu, naj ne bi bila dokončna in tudi ne uradna. Več o tem bo gotovo znanega v prihodnjih dneh.
Zahovič ima sicer z Benfico pogodbo do poletja 2005, z izbrano vrsto pa si je še kako želel uvrstitve na Euro2004, ki bo v njegovi drugi domovini - na Portugalskem.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old December 8th, 2003, 07:47
International

Teams: SLOVENIJA & Arsenal
OAnimal you post brought tears to my eyes man!
What can I say, the big Zaho is leaving and it's a sad day for us. I'll never forget him, he was the best we had! I blame him for what went on in Korea too, but he had so many other qualities that made the difference. His goals, leadership, everything he did for the NT was of the highest order. I'm proud of this boy and for all he's done for us! Those things can't be measured, they have to be fealt, experienced, and we did! He made it possible.

I thank him for everything, and whish him good luck in the future. I'll miss him and never forget him! Zlatko we all love you! Srecno Zaho!

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 06:26
International

Well what's it gonna be now?
Zaho told TV SLO yesterday that his decission wasn't final yet, that he talked with Prašnikar and that he will make the decission in the following days. So Zaho might not be lost yet?
Also I can see a trick here. Prašnikar is holding an ace up his sleave. He may be making conditions over that issue saying that if he stays as selektor he'll have Zahovic playing. Just a little conspiracy theory.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 09:21 Thread Starter
Legend

I've read even more incredible story yesterday. That Zahovic would continue to play for the NT only if Katanec would become coach of NT.
Far from saying that it's true, but just wanted to give you something to think about.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 10:00
International

Quote:
Originally posted by OAnimal
I've read even more incredible story yesterday. That Zahovic would continue to play for the NT only if Katanec would become coach of NT.
Far from saying that it's true, but just wanted to give you something to think about.
Where the fak have you heard this man??? Man this is too much to belive, I mean it can't be true a?:eekani: :eekani: :eekani: I whish it was, but ... man, it'll give me a heart attack!:nervous: :eekani:

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 10:05 Thread Starter
Legend

I read it in another forum. The guy that wrote it, claimed that he knew some friends of ZZ or something... As I said, I don't believe it's true, but it gives you the idea what kind of rumours can be spread out, because our stupid FA rejects to make a point about the NT coach issue.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 10:20
International

Yeah man, and in the end our beloved Nt will be tho one that will get scrwewd the most! :fero:

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 12:11
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally posted by OAnimal
Well... crazier things things have happend but somehow i still don't think this could be true...
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 12:27
International

It is highly unlikely yes.:rollani:

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 16:03
Rising Star

So OAnimal did the guy say why zahovic would wan't katanec back?
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 16:44 Thread Starter
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ner_Zhul44
So OAnimal did the guy say why zahovic would wan't katanec back?
Something like that, yes.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old December 10th, 2003, 18:40
Premier Player

I was all jolly and merry till yesterday when he denied the whole thing I was going to be the first to volunteer to pack his NT gear. It's time he leaves, I didn't want him to come back anyway. If Katanec left he should left with him.

I'm sorry, I know it's not very nice, he did a lot of good things for us, but never ever will I forgive him for the thing that happend in Korea.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2003, 00:10
Rising Star

And i wont forget Katanec his part!
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2003, 06:27
International

Calm down please. We should all be thinking for the best for our NT! What happened is in the past, nothing can change that. We must look forward!

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2003, 08:54
Star Player

ZZ is the greatest. I dont care what happened in Korea. If he wants to come back at all (as long as he is in good form) I would welcome him with open arms. Wouldn't it be amazing if the Katanec thing was true As someone else said, I have heard of and seen stranger things happen. :smileani:
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2003, 12:43
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Fantastic
And i wont forget Katanec his part!
Me neither, both were guilty, but still ... one was a coach the other "only" a player.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2003, 12:49
Rising Star

Come back??!!! He never left! It was all created by these "anti-bojan-zlatko-athmosfere" and the "žabarski" jurnalists just wrote whate they wanted to happend!
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old December 11th, 2003, 12:55
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Fantastic
Come back??!!! He never left! It was all created by these "anti-bojan-zlatko-athmosfere" and the "žabarski" jurnalists just wrote whate they wanted to happend!
Delo is no Ekipa. The article was written like an interview and I really cannot believe that they could just invent it and publish it. It is Delo afterall, people would chop it's head of if they did something like this. To quote someone if this someone hasn't opened his/her mouth at all is a HUGE lapse and I cannot imagine it from such a paper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in