Slovenija - Hungary - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2003, 07:11 Thread Starter
Star Player

Slovenija - Hungary

Well, it is just under a week away from this crucial friendly match and we didn't have a thread for it. So I took it upon myself to create one. Here is the list of 22 players Bojan Prasnikar has called up for the game. Returning from injuries is Cime, Bulajic, Tavcar and Ceh. Among them is Adem Kapic who is the newcomer to the squad.

Keepers:
Marko Simeunovic
Mladen Debanovic

Defenders:
Spasoje Bulajic
Fabijan Cipot
Aleksander Knavs
Matej Snofl
Rajko Tavcar
Maumer Vugdalic

Midfielders:
Milenko Acimovic
Nastja Ceh
Adem Kapic
Robert Koren
Amir Karic
Miran Pavlin
Zlatko Zahovic
Anton Zlogar
Goran Sukalo
Mladen Rudonja
Simon Seslar

Forwards:
Sebastjan Cimerotic
Ermin Rakovic
Ermin Siljak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2003, 07:55
International

Teams: SLOVENIJA & Arsenal
No doubt that this will be an important game for us, it will be a great chance to test the players before the cruical games in the qualyfiers that await us a few weeks latter. Prašnikar will probably try out some concepts that he might use in those games, so personaly I don't expect that we'll be seeing some great football, I do however expect us not to loose. The main objective in this friendly though is to assemble the guys togather, chack their level of form, play a solid match and prepare well for the ones that really matter.

SLOVENIJA

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2003, 08:50 Thread Starter
Star Player

I agree Walter. This is an important game for us and we will not see much great football. I am expecting a lot of subs through out the match especially in midfield. However, I am not going to expect us to win as I hate being dissappointed. Last friendly we played I think was against Switzerland. I was all hyped up hoping for a huge victory. It happened, but not the way I wanted (1-5). I have learnt that if you expect the worse, you won't be dissappointed. That's why, even with our strong squad, I predict Slovenija 1 - 4 Hungary. Let's hope I am greatly surprised

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old August 18th, 2003, 18:44
Rising Star

Some good players now in Slovenia, but Zahovic never played to his best at Valencia... Do you think you will qualify for the Euro2004?

Good luck!

www.geocities.com/eurofotball2000
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2003, 13:37 Thread Starter
Star Player

I think we will need some luck in the play-off but we have a pretty good chance. If we win Israel I have no doubt we will make the play-off but winning is another matter. I just hope we dont play-off against Netherlands or Czech Republic.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2003, 15:58
Legend

Teams: Slovenia, Brazil, Russia, Korea, Vasco da Gama
Quote:
Originally posted by NZS
I just hope we dont play-off against Netherlands or Czech Republic.
... or Spain or England...

Caipirinha: 6 €
Brazilian NT shirt: 70 €
Flight to Rio de Janeiro: 400 €
Seeing Italian NT kicked out of major tournament: PRICELESS

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
All NBA and NHL except Red Wings
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2003, 16:37 Thread Starter
Star Player

1-0 for Slovenija. Sukalo Scored. Anyone see how that happens. the match is live at the moment.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2003, 18:01 Thread Starter
Star Player

Full Time: Slovenija 2 : 1 Hungary

Scorers: Slovenija - 3' Sukalo, 76' Cimerotic.
Hungary - 90+3 Feher

Well it is now 3:00 in the morning here in Australia so I will go to sleep. Match Report tomorrow or day after.

Did Slovenija play in their 'NEW' Kappa jersey's or in the Uhlsport ones??
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2003, 00:19
Rising Star

They played in some temporary Kappa jersey's... the real ones will be designed before the match against israel...
As for the game... It really bothers me that Prasnikar keeps making the same mistakes... Well i guess there's been some progress... Knavs played well as the central defender... and he (i hope so) saw that his idea to call adem kapic to the NT was absurd....
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2003, 02:32 Thread Starter
Star Player

Zahovic off but Slovenia hang on

Ten-man Slovenia edged out Hungary 2-1 in Murska Sobota ahead of their next round of UEFA EURO 2004™ qualifiers.

Hollow victory
Slovenia's victory came thanks to goals from Sebastjan Cimirotic and Goran Sukola. However, inspirational midfield player and captain Zlatko Zahovic was shown his second yellow card and dismissed on 70 minutes.

Quick start
The game had got off to a quick start, as Slovenia took the lead after just three minutes. Aleksander Knav's close-range header deflected off Goran Sukalo and past the stranded Hungarian goalkeeper Gábor Kiraly. "Perhaps it wasn't the most beautiful of goals, but it was fair and I'm really happy I scored," said Sukalo.

Excellent volley
Slovenia's lead lasted well into the second-half, but when Zahovic was sent off the tables looked to have turned. However, it was Slovenia who extended their lead. Only six minutes after the dismissal, Cimirotic rifled home an excellent volley.

Late consolation
Hungary's Miklós Fehér scored a late consolation in injury time, heading in a corner from close range, but it did not alter the final result. "This match was surely much better than the last one we played in Antalya [against Israel]," said Slovenia coach Bojan Prašnikar. "Today the heat perhaps took its toll but some players today did their job in the best possible manner."

Slovenia boost
Slovenia will take heart from the result ahead of their forthcoming EURO 2004™ qualifiers. They currently lie second behind France in Group 1 and face Israel at home on 6 September, before hosting the group leaders on 10 September. Hungary meanwhile, are second behind Sweden on goal difference in Group 4, having played a game more. They next take on Latvia on 10 September.

Id just like to know how everyone played. Could someone give me their opinions please.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2003, 22:43
Rising Star

OK... if you insist

Simeunovic: played quite well saved at least 3 great chances... but it was poor shoting by Szabics also...

Knavs: Not his usuall position but also played well...

Snofl and Cipot: I didn't really notice them but if Knavs played well and hungary had so many chances, somebody is to blame...

Karic: his usuall performance... personally i think he would be much more useful playin as a central defensive midfilder than on the left...

Acimovic: had to play on the right again and had some nice moves although nothing special overall...

Sukalo: scored the handball goal an had an good overall performance...

Ceh: Good passing but he was neutralised by Zahovic's rubbish passes...

Zahovic: Crap would be an understatement... We started playing 100% better when he went off...

Siljak: Had one chance but fell over the ball...

Cimerotic Scored a nice goal and put in a lot of effort but was to much alone on offense when zahovic was sen't off...

And the new guy Kapic? Nothing... He is a substitute in the Hungarian league... Why he was called even Prasnikar doesn't know...
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2003, 22:54
Rising Star

Oh and i forgot about seslar who played in the first eleven... But i guess that is also somekind of an opinion...

The funny thing is, after the game, Prasnikar said that he was very happy with the performance of Adem Kapic... Which probably means he will be called again...

And because of statements like that i have no hope for the Euro...
Although we will most probably beat israel...
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2003, 10:42 Thread Starter
Star Player

I got a few laughs from your ratings Ner_Zhul. I likes what you wrote about Cipot and Snofl and also Sukalo. I didnt know he handballed the goal. Thanks for updating me on the players, but why did Zahovic play crap, is it because he was as a forward or is he just having a bad day. Also, does anyone know where I can see the goals over the internet. SlovenianSoccer.net wont be uploading them so is there any other site where they can be watched.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2003, 13:30
Legend

I think Zahovic's best years are well over. After WC, he only played two decent matches for the NT (Cyprus at home and Malta away). But after defeating the "evil" (Katanec), he seems to have his place in the NT guaranteed until he is 60.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2003, 14:45 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by OAnimal
I think Zahovic's best years are well over. After WC, he only played two decent matches for the NT (Cyprus at home and Malta away). But after defeating the "evil" (Katanec), he seems to have his place in the NT guaranteed until he is 60.
I can't say that I know the full story about Zahovic and Katanec but I was dissapointed when he was sent home from the World Cup because I believe if he had played we could have won our last two games. All I know about that feud was Zahovic said some horrible things to Katanec after he was subed off for Acimovic and thats why he was sent home.

Regarding his form, I think Zahovic still has a couple of good games left in him. If he performs well, even at his age, I think that our NT really stands a chance to make the Euro 2004. However, we will just have to wait and see.

Now that this match is over, we are even closer to the most important game of our Qualifications. Israel wont be easy, but if I have heard correctly, Slovenia hasn't been defeated on the ground at which we will be playing at since 1999. If this is true I am feeling quite confident about our chances in this game. Let's just hope everything turns out good for Slovenija.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2003, 22:50
Legend

Well, you may be right NZS, he may still play some good games, but he is not Zahovic we used to know anymore. He lost his speed, he doesn't score goals anymore except from penalties or free-kicks. Man, I remember him from qualifications for Euro2000 and Euro2000 itself, he was decisive - he scored almost all important goals for us. With Zahovic like that, I am sure we would qualify for Euro2004. I know, everybody gets older, that's the law of life and until we find any better, it's OK that Zahovic is still in the team. The question is, do we have any better? I am sure we have, Nastja Ceh is playing really well in the playmaker position, Acimovic can be a good playmaker too and both are much younger than Zahovic. However, many times when the result was not OK, Katanec put Acimovic into the playmaker role and pushed Zahovic into the support striker position and it usually worked very well, so the only way Zahovic can be used now is in support striker position. But we do have some solid support strikers too, Cimerotic can play there well and so does Rakovic. I don't know, if Siljak was in good shape, I would play with Ceh, Siljak and Cimerotic upfront against Izrael, but now when Siljak is not at his best at all, Zahovic will probably start against Izrael together with Cimerotic. Although it would be interesting to see the old Olimpija attack duo upfront - Cimerotic and Rakovic.

But bottom line, the important thing is that we beat Izrael, which won't be easy. Although we really didn't lose a qualifying match at home since 1999 or was it still in 1998 (1:2 against Norway, and even at that game, Norway was very lucky to get away with a win), this still doesn't mean we can't lose against Izrael or/and France. Every string has its end, there are no infinite strings, although at maths classes they will tell you otherwise.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots

Last edited by OAnimal; August 22nd, 2003 at 22:58.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2003, 05:13 Thread Starter
Star Player

You put that all very well OAnimal. I tend to agree with everything you have said. I brought up Zahovic not long ago, about how I was glad he had scored because he hadnt since before the World Cup against Ghana. It's no secret that Zahovic is getting old, but lets just hope that against Israel he plays as the Zahovic we used to know. I dont mind that he scores on penalties and free kicks as long as he does score. If he didn't, we would have a much bigger problem. I'd really love to see Acimovic play more of an attcking role as I think that he has great talent.

Also, after Zahovic is gone who will be our kick takers. I know Ceh is good enough for free kicks, but who is calm enough to take penalties??
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old August 23rd, 2003, 19:41
Legend

You are right, Zahovic is very good at penalty kicks, I don't remember him missing a penalty kick for Slovenian NT. Besides him, I think Ceh and Acimovic could take the penalties as well. Acimovic scored a very important penalty in the 90th minute against Russia in our last qualifications, to get us a 2:1 victory at home.

Let's hope for the best against Izrael.

Hatelist:
Juvemerdus
Partizan
Associazione Culo Milan
Lazio
Barcelona de mierda
Real de puta Madrid
Manchester Shitnated
Liverfool
Dinamo Kyiv
Panathinaikos
Olympique Marseille
Bayern
New England Shitriots
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2003, 03:39
Rising Star

I must say i'm not at all confident with Zahovic's penalty taking...
First of all... he always shoots to the keepers right side, whish he admited himself...
Second of all... he doesn't really shoot particulary powerfull or accurate shoots...
Almost always the keeper gets very close...
He was just lucky that latey he didn't get to shoot against any good keepers...

The way he shoots them lately i'm sure Kahn would save 8 out of 10... or maybe all o them...
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2003, 04:04 Thread Starter
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Ner_Zhul44
I must say i'm not at all confident with Zahovic's penalty taking...
First of all... he always shoots to the keepers right side, whish he admited himself...
Second of all... he doesn't really shoot particulary powerfull or accurate shoots...
Almost always the keeper gets very close...
He was just lucky that latey he didn't get to shoot against any good keepers...

The way he shoots them lately i'm sure Kahn would save 8 out of 10... or maybe all o them...
Well then you should be happy that we dont go against NT with 'World Class' keppers such as Germany. I believe that he is very smart with his kicks. He stops just before he kicks the ball and if he sees that the keeper is going his way he changes. At least he isn't the type of player who will kick the crap out of the ball and hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in