It was a poor campaign (time for reflection) - Xtratime Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 17:18 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Magyar NT
It was a poor campaign (time for reflection)

Ok, there are many positives which I spoke about in the looking forward thread. But the reality is we underacheived.

We only won 1 game in 4!
3 of the 6 goals we scored were own goals!!

We had a lot of luck along the way. It could easily have been 8-0 against Belgium.

We have no depth! As soon as Archie (Kleinheisler) was injured and I heard Pintér was playing I couldn't see anything than a big Belgium win.

To not beat Iceland is very frustrating considering they've been our bitch for years.

After Szalai and Stieber scored why didn't the coach stick with them?! They would have been high on confidence.

But again, there are positives. I just don't see the whole campaign being one. If we would have 6 group points and made the strongest possible fight against Belgium I would say we did good. But we were never in the match! Belga fans saying it's the first time they saw their players play as a team and that's because we let them. If we lined up like vs Norway and Austria we would have tested Belgium but, we didn't. I think the Portugal game gave us false belief that we can score easily.

What say you?! Success?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 18:10
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
You made some good points. But in my mind it's still a relatively positive result overall. Remember we came from nearly nothing to qualifying and then getting some good results against tough competition.

Definitely something to build on. If mistakes were made then hopefully they weren't in vain and we learned some valuable lessons along the way. Yes I was disappointed too in that last game. I think we could have done more but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Remember though, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon and building the program back up to greatness is far more important than beating Belgium and probably even more important than winning the Euro.

If this was just some flash in the pan, it would have been completely pointless.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 19:17 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Árpád_ View Post
Remember though, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon and building the program back up to greatness is far more important than beating Belgium and probably even more important than winning the Euro.

Normally with a North American you'd be talking about an Aranycsapat II. Which normally happens in the first 6 weeks of being on this forum. Then they're edumakted.

But you've been here a while and is sensible! So what do mean when you say "back to greatness"?!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 19:55
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Teams: USA/Hungarian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
Ok, there are many positives which I spoke about in the looking forward thread. But the reality is we underacheived.

We only won 1 game in 4!

We had a lot of luck along the way. It could easily have been 8-0 against Belgium.

We have no depth! As soon as Archie (Kleinheisler) was injured and I heard Pintér was playing I couldn't see anything than a big Belgium win.

To not beat Iceland is very frustrating considering they've been our bitch for years.

After Szalai and Stieber scored why didn't the coach stick with them?! They would have been high on confidence.

But again, there are positives. I just don't see the whole campaign being one. If we would have 6 group points and made the strongest possible fight against Belgium I would say we did good. But we were never in the match! Belga fans saying it's the first time they saw their players play as a team and that's because we let them. If we lined up like vs Norway and Austria we would have tested Belgium but, we didn't. I think the Portugal game gave us false belief that we can score easily.

What say you?! Success?
All in all I'd cautiously say yes. Although this last game shows how far we have to go and was a real downer. It was the old Hungary. We were expected by most to lose all 3 games and go home. We were one of the surprises of the tournament, winning the group which we can be happy about.

Most certainly had some luck but it's not entirely fair to call 3 of the 6 own goals. Bode would've tapped it in against Iceland had the defender not. Juji's 2 came from him being dangerous, those are somewhat earned. Like how I said about the Iceland Kadar penalty. Terrible call and bad luck for Kadar, but it's somewhat justified to give up a goal if you do what Kiraly did. It was Portugal's mistake to let Juji get off shots with his left foot in that area and they paid the price for it.

One of the biggest successes was the fans and how they and the team came together. Even after the Belgium loss.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 20:08 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

The fans would've come no matter the score and I think it did help. I'm very curious to see if they will fill some arenas back home now.

It's a shame I post from a tablet currently as posting pics is a nightmare. Would love to have posted some great photos I came across of our fans. I may still boot up the desktop or laptop, though.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 20:13
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Yeah think the fans would've come, but not quite that many. And I don't just mean the fans there, the ones in Hungary as well. Surely many young Magyars had never seen anything quite like this before. Doesn't happen like this when we win in water polo

I love the pic Szalai posted. I put it in his thread.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 20:15
Gyula
Premier Player

Teams: Hungary, Romania
Quote:
Normally with a North American you'd be talking about an Aranycsapat II. Which normally happens in the first 6 weeks of being on this forum. Then they're edumakted.

But you've been here a while and is sensible! So what do mean when you say "back to greatness"?!
We have a footballing heritage that many countries would kill for. To not honour that and to not try to live up to that would be a big mistake.

I understand that it may be another 50 years until we're at that level again (if ever) but it has to start somewhere. And it doesn't have to really at that level again...the days of total domination are gone...but I think to be at the level that Croatia are at right now is not only a fair expectation but also an attainable one. Croatia is smaller both in terms of funds and population. We should have no problem getting to that sort of level and maybe one day also be a real threat for a Euro Cup.

To me that is more important than the result against Belgium. So if this tournament has gotten the ball rolling into that direction, it has been a success.
Aron and Dandeer like this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 20:23
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Well put, Arpad

That heritage is both a blessing and a curse. Something to be proud of and also a bit sick of talking about, focusing on.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 20:38
Forum Manager
World Class Player

http://www.csakfoci.hu/valogatott/92...percrol-percre

Last edited by Aron; June 27th, 2016 at 21:19.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old June 27th, 2016, 22:11
International

Teams: USA and Hungarian NT
I was very pleased how we played with Austria and Iceland, even with Portugal and I thought we had a chance against Belgium if we play the same tenacious way, then saw our lineup for the Belgium game and I knew we were done.

Just cannot take Nemeth and Stieber sitting while our forward bulldogs run all over the place and shoot the ball over the goal...basically, I give up on the manager because just cannot take this nonsense anymore.

Good to see us play with determination and teamball and thought that Juji was our best player..he now played teamball and tried his best!

Buy a football jersey and get a billboard
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2016, 16:41
Star Player

Teams: Chippenham FM18, Dagenham & Redbridge FIFA 10
Quote:

What say you?! Success?
You also made some points that are not so good.

Quote:
But the reality is we underacheived.

We only won 1 game in 4!
What did you expect? First time at the Euro in a zillions years and we gon kick everyone's ass? We shoulda got 7 points (Iceland penalty), we got 5. It's awesome.

Another way of putting what you wrote is that out of 4 games we only lost 1. At a European Championship. It has a different vibe like this, huh?

Quote:
That is just plain ridiculous. In ice hockey if a defender hits an own goal, it is given to the last attacker that touched the pack. The rules are not that enabling in football, but they are still not as harsh as you suggest. And it shouldn't be. I like the way it is, you just need to learn to live with it.

Quote:
That news to you? Hungary NT having no depth is an issue you haven't encountered before?

When I saw Kleino's long face and heard he's out, I told my friend next to me it'd be 4-0. No joke.

Quote:
Whining about how we didn't beat Iceland is weird. Go and tell it to your English friends. But it's also weird considering how we tied them. As if you hadn't seen the penalty.

Quote:
If we would have 6 group points and made the strongest possible fight against Belgium I would say we did good. But we were never in the match!
Again, simply not true. I get that you're critical but you shouldn't ignore the good minutes we had. If you watched it again, you might think differently about the game.

Quote:
What say you?! Success?
Yep, definitely. Improvement is the word I'd use. We should see more against Switzerland in October. Ought to focus on discussing that because that'll be one heck of a tie!
Aron likes this.

Without Jesus, a hopeless end. With him, an endless hope.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2016, 17:57 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandeer View Post
Whining about how we didn't beat Iceland is weird. Go and tell it to your English friends. But it's also weird considering how we tied them. As if you hadn't seen the penalty.
I don't have any friends, let alone English.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2016, 18:40 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Sure we had good moments in the Belga match but not serious big chances. It was a cat playing with a mouse.

I did expect two wins against two beatable teams! That's not outrageous to say! Due to the new rules it was designed so weaker nations can take part and even give as much as they get.

3 own goals means we got very lucky! Especially Juji's 2 goals!!! I know at least one has been taken away from him. This is football, not hockey. If a defending player sticks his leg out and the ball deflects its an own goal.

Saying we don't have depth is obvious but so is 80% of the posts on XT. Ente once said each side has only 11 players on the pitch at once! But I don't remember anyone commenting on that.

When I say 6 points and a good fight against Belgium I would say it was a good euros can't be wrong. Coz it's my opinion! If you're happy with 5 points and a thrashing from Belgium then good for you! It's what you think. I expected a lot more than you.

I know of people who a partying coz we won one game! Whatever flicks your switch! I expected to beat Austrian and Iceland so it's disappointing for me!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old June 28th, 2016, 20:29
Forum Manager
World Class Player

Quote:
Sure we had good moments in the Belga match but not serious big chances. It was a cat playing with a mouse.
It was a cat/mouse game with Belgium. No doubt about it. Our chances were minor and for every one we had they had, what 5 better ones?

Quote:
3 own goals means we got very lucky! Especially Juji's 2 goals!!! I know at least one has been taken away from him. This is football, not hockey. If a defending player sticks his leg out and the ball deflects its an own goal.
Sometimes. Happens plenty of times that a deflected shot is credited as not an own goal. Look at Nainggolan's against Sweden. That's not even though it was deflected.

Quote:
I know of people who a partying coz we won one game! Whatever flicks your switch! I expected to beat Austrian and Iceland so it's disappointing for me!
Ok, fair enough. Surprised anyone expected to beat those teams. If you compare where they play. A tie against Iceland seemed like the most we could hope for to me. They're partying that we were at a major tournament for the first time in decades and even won a game for the first time since 1964. Almost everyone expected 3 losses and out. See nothing wrong with celebrating going beyond that. Sure it's easier now, but it's still a positive step in the right direction.
Hope2016 likes this.

Last edited by Aron; June 28th, 2016 at 20:37.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2016, 01:32
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
bad campaign?

better than 1958, 1972, 1978, 1982, 1986, simply put, where we were kind of contenders even in most of them.

we were the team with least transfermarkt value with 30 mill yuros, even North Ire has almost double, Albos and Icemen more than double. Belga 15 times more.

only disappointment was that that we didn't beat Portugal. I'm sure that with Fiola we'd have cracked them. and have a tight match with Belgák too.

nothing to be ashamed of. lots of reasons to be proud of the fiúk. they put San Hungarino back on the foci map again.

anyway, MINDENKI RIGÁBA! who's going? October 10-ish
Aron and Hope2016 like this.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2016, 01:35
Xtratime Elite

anyone remember our embarassing defeats against Iceland in early 90s? I do, it was a bloody shame. we were their bitches 3 times in a row. and that when they were utter shite and we were supposed to be good.

now in hindsight this draw (and dominant game of us) against them is even more worthy

also hindsight, too bad we didn't finish 2nd, we'd have smashed that England
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2016, 01:46
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
i guess that if you guys are this negative, the entire nations of romania and england should commit suicide

you did well, period.
szövkap, bmb and Hope2016 like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2016, 01:59
Xtratime Elite

our dudes play for Felcsút, Fradi, Lech, Haladás, Vidi, DVTK, Legia, al-Qarafa, MTK, Wisla, and rot on the bench at Hannover, Nürnberg and Bursa for fuck's sake

what are the Belgák doing (or the Luzitánok, Osztrákok) at the same time)?
Aron and Hope2016 like this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2016, 03:29
General Iordanescu
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Open for the biggest bidder.
Quote:
I expected to beat Austrian and Iceland so it's disappointing for me!
Well I expected you guys to lose all 3 games by quite the margin. Maybe I could've seen you tie Portugal... But I was expecting thrashings from Iceland and Austria at least.

Austria clearly under-performed... were overrated; came out of a very shitty group in qualies. So I was wrong there, but I hadn't watched any full games by them.

Portugal has been crap lately so I was thinking you could tie them with a bit of luck... and you did, in what many considered the best game of the group stage!

I watched many Iceland games and, make no mistake, I was hoping they would continue the way they played in the qualies because if they did, they were the group favorite for me. Form didn't change so... yes, Iceland and Hungary are the biggest surprises at this tournament. (for a neutral--for me Hungary is a way bigger surprise than Iceland)

So you should be proud. I would be very ****ing proud with what you accomplished.

Yes, you would've done better with Kleiny vs Belgium. But 4-0 is very misleading. It could've also been 1-1... After 2-0 you stopped playing. If you want to complain about something, you can complain that you stopped playing once you were out...
szövkap and Hope2016 like this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old June 29th, 2016, 04:04 Thread Starter
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by szövkap View Post
bad campaign?

better than 1958, 1972, 1978, 1982, 1986, simply put, where we were kind of contenders even in most of them.

we were the team with least transfermarkt value with 30 mill yuros, even North Ire has almost double, Albos and Icemen more than double. Belga 15 times more.

only disappointment was that that we didn't beat Portugal. I'm sure that with Fiola we'd have cracked them. and have a tight match with Belgák too.

nothing to be ashamed of. lots of reasons to be proud of the fiúk. they put San Hungarino back on the foci map again.

anyway, MINDENKI RIGÁBA! who's going? October 10-ish

I never said there was anything to be ashamed of

I'm fully aware this is the best magyar foci in decades and I'm very I'm very disappointed about the Belga match, though. Simply inept tactics constantly attacking a team with the pace and power Belgium have on the counter attack! It's ok to have played Ronaldistan this way as we had nothing to lose. Who we were going to play next was more of a lottery! So there wasn't anything to play for but pride

We got very lucky against Portugal with 2 deflected shots that wouldn't have gone in otherwise. This I think changed our mentality and we thought we can score like this against anyone

However, I can only repeat that for me it was a let down

New rules were brought in so teams like us can play and perhaps get points. We must not forget this and for me we had a very good group and we had a capable team

No good comparing our results to previous tournaments as the format had changed. We would not have qualified if the format was the same as others during my lifetime!

I saw things differently and I have provided reasons. I can't help it, I have a hiányérzet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in