NBII 2013/14 Season - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2013, 19:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

NBII 2013/14 Season

Took in my first 2nd division game this afternoon, Vasas v Zalaegerszegi TE.

Similar sort of crowd to MTK. Nice mix of strange footballing characters. Game entirely dominated in terms of possession by Vasas. Hard to understand how they were rooted to the foot of the table, on this performance, although they did miss a hatful of chances as well. Crowd were lively, in an angry old man type way. Lots of standing up and ranting at the world in general going on around me. No real chanting though.

A very old stadium, brightened up somewhat by a significant amount of red and blue paint. The broken clock and running track with patches of grass growing through it gave it a certain amount of charm. Terracing on one side, main stand seating on the other. Bizarrely, almost double the price for a seated ticket as first division Ujpest was a couple of hours before. Still peanuts though, 2000 HUF, but thought it a little strange.

Goals came at the end of each half, the first from a freekick that the keeper spilled and the 2nd a nicely worked goal from open play. Could and should easily have been more though. Nowhere to buy a scarf at the game, which was frustrating. They said the shop was closed and only open on weekdays. Am starting to notice a trend in Hungary with this kind of thing. Adds a certain comic value to living here, I guess, but at the same time, did actually want a scarf!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2013, 19:59
Rising Star

Teams: Újpest, Real Madrid, Rayo Vallecano
Vasas - Zalaegerszeg was a 1st division match couple of years ago, think you choose a good one to go. That stadium style was common in comunist, lot of hungarian teams has or had a similar one. I hate them cause for small crowds like in NB1 the are too open and feel really cold.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2013, 09:23 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Yes, it was a common design for all the civil stadiums around Korea too. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of them either, mostly because of the running track, but I kinda got used to them in the end. Can definitely imagine some cold winter games there though. It's very open.

Incidentally, I was talking with an old boy in front of me at the end of the game, who was lamenting on Vasas' proud history. How are the mighty fallen.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2013, 13:05
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
Vasas must have the most international trophies not only of teams in Hungary but also in whole Eastern Europe.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2013, 13:14
Rising Star

Teams: Újpest, Real Madrid, Rayo Vallecano
Once i was partying with some guys in a presszo in Ferenc Korut and one of the guys told me he was supporting Vasas cause it was the only and truth left-handed supported team on Budapest.

żHow much truth there is on this?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2013, 13:26
Xtratime Elite

Teams: MTK
them and MTK probably are the only teams in Hungary not supported by ultra-right ones. this alone makes them seem left-wing already. but seriously, there is something to it. formerly the club of the steel workers, they miraculously did not jump on the ultra-right bandwagon after 1990 like all the others. they are not like St Pauli or Livorno though as you surely noticed yourself.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2013, 19:35 Thread Starter
Rising Star

No, not a single Che flag in sight. But I'm liking them more and more anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in